Crosby = Overrated

#42 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (dallas27 @ March 2, 2008 - 12:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Call me crazy, and most of you probably will, but I'll take Luongo before AO or Crosby if I start a franchise. Goaltending like that will take you further than AO or Crosby could if you start a franchise.

That's not at all a crazy statement. I'd start with Carey Price myself, a 20 year old rookie who has the poise of a 30 year old veteran.

#43 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Yes, Crosby is the best player in the world.

#NOMOREKINDL

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (RedArmy @ March 1, 2008 - 06:34AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.tsn.ca/nh...236&hubname=nhl

is Crosby really the best? I mean its not deniable he is very good, but why has the media been so obsessed with him as the best, as Gretzky. He was out performed by Ovechkin stat wise so far and in his Rookie year as well. Is it because he is well rounded? or is just because he is the best Canadian young player?

Youngest player in NHL history to record 100 points in a season
Youngest player in NHL history to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)
Youngest player in NHL history to have 2 consecutive 100 point seasons.
Youngest player to be voted to the NHL All-Star Game
Youngest player in NHL history to win the Art Ross Trophy
Youngest player in NHL history to win the Lester B. Pearson Award
Youngest player in NHL history to be named to the First All-Star Team

Awards
* Art Ross Trophy - 2007
* Lester B. Pearson Award - 2007
* Hart Memorial Trophy - 2007

102 points his rookie season as an 18 year old.
120 points his 2nd season.
63 points in 46 games played this season.

He is not overrated.

He's a 20 year old Canadian kid who's put up those kind of great numbers already, and he's only gonna get better.

Is it really that hard to understand why the league markets the hell out of him?

Don't get me wrong, I get sick of hearing about every time he touches the puck. I'm guessing he does too. It's no surprise there's a backlash with all the publicity he gets, but that doesn't negate his accomplishments.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 02 March 2008 - 02:17 PM.

#45 The Enforcer

The Enforcer

Stanley Cup Champs 2008

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

I think Ovechkin's better. Crosby's good, but across the border here he's way overhyped.
"The place was filled with every cutthroat and low-life from Bombay to Calcutta. It was worse than being in Detroit."

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (The Enforcer @ March 2, 2008 - 01:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Ovechkin's better. Crosby's good, but across the border here he's way overhyped.

I don't think it has to be an either or situation.

They're two very different players who play different positions. The only thing they have in common really is they came into the league the same year because of the lockout.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 02 March 2008 - 04:34 PM.

#47 12Newf

12Newf

Newf

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

crosby is undoubtedly the best player in the world

#48 RedArmy

RedArmy

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:01 PM

should anyone reconsider? Ovechkin keeps piling up huge games...

#49 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (RedArmy @ March 3, 2008 - 11:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
should anyone reconsider? Ovechkin keeps piling up huge games...

Crosby has seen some pretty huge games himself, IIRC.

I think the ultimate difference between the two, is Ovechkin goes in gigantic spurts and then slumps... Crosby seems to be more consistant. He hasn't really went into a significant slump throughout his career so far.

#50 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

Crosby is also a terrific leader especially for his age. I don't think anyone has mentioned that. They didn't give him the captaincy because he scores a lot.

He has a lot of heart and plays for the team. He's also willing to put his body on the line because he has such an insatiable hunger to win. This is a trait most stars do not possess. He is a born champion and anyone who knows ANYTHING AT ALL about this game would not argue with that.

Edited by Doggy, 04 March 2008 - 05:53 AM.

Rough as guts.

#51 stactum

stactum

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Doggy @ March 4, 2008 - 06:52AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crosby is also a terrific leader especially for his age. I don't think anyone has mentioned that. They didn't give him the captaincy because he scores a lot.

Well, I kind of have to disagree. I still tend to think that this whole captaincy was given because of the hype, not because of his abilities.

If you ask me, I'd pick Ovechkin any day over Crosby. It's interesting, there are people who loves Crosby and who hates him, but I never really heard that somebody hates Ovechkin, there's probably a good reason for that!

#52 Spinner

Spinner

4th line spectator

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

Yes he is. When he walks into a room people pass out...give me a break. I remember when Hank was leading at the beginning of the season, he still hardly got mention and the talk was still about how great Crosby is. It's all media hype. Z is a better all round player, I would pick AO over sid the kid anyday(imagine he and Dats together) and we already have the best player in hockey...Lids. So let the media give him all the hype while we skate off with the cup
He found the key to success 4 hours before he found the hole in his pocket.

#53 Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

He might be the best player in the world. He might also be the biggest cry-baby.

thanks offsides!

#54 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

Ovechkin, hands down

#55 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:40 AM

There is nothing like "The Best Player" in the world. Crosby is better than Brodeur? Why? Brodeur is better than Lidstrom? Why?

Crosby is definitely awesome player, but he is not alone in that category.

#56 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:05 PM

Nope. TSN only says this cause he's Canadian. The "Canadian Hockey" media, has become really defensive about Canadian hockey players AND Canadian hockey teams. They over-promote them to such a point that's it's really transparent what they are trying to do, and it has become extremely annoying. Not saying Sid is not an elite hockey player...just on the force-feeding by mainly CA press.

I saw one HNIC broadcast earlier this season where they were in-between perionds carrying on for about 10 minutes on Sid, and how he's single handedly "saved" the league and now the NHL can finally sell itself. After this, they then went on to talk about the Maple Leafs drama for another five minutes (they suck(ed) as do twenty other teams...now get over it and move on). Then!... Then, they breezed through scores from around the league in about 15 seconds. AO had four points that night and not even one mention of Ovechkin....not one!! This wouldn't be a big deal if it was just a one-time thing....but this Canadian love fest happens all the time and it's getting abnoxious. Lids had a goal and a few points that night as well...no mention either.

BTW...to the Canadian hockey press....always referring to Colin Campbell by the nick name of "Collie" on the air is getting really f-in lame as well.

Go Wings!!

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 04 March 2008 - 01:14 PM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#57 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

Solid player, personality of a ****** bag.

#58 Deke

Deke

Rookie

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Yzerfan75 @ March 1, 2008 - 11:39AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. Crosby is the most HYPED player in the world.

I still believe that Ovechkin is better...but not given the same consideration and supporting cast as Crosby and so it doesn't show. But that's just my opinion.

I agree, Ovechkin is the better hockey player. I think Malkin is better as well. That said, Crosby has the potential to become a better leader though. He could be the next Steve Yzerman the way his leadership is showing at such a young age.

#59 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Seems like the media hype really throws people off Crosby - you either have the people that ignore all that and actually watch him play - and the people who are so bothered by the attention this kid gets that they build a personal hatred for him.

Forget the endorsements, the coverage and all the other hype he gets - it is not hard to make the argument that he is the best player in the league based on the points he puts up and his style of play. Calling him a 'cry-baby' is just ignorant, so he bitched about a few calls when he was a rookie...who hasn't? It just shows his emotion level and commitment to the game.

Like I said, a lot of the people who don't recognize Crosby as one of the best - if not the best, come across as just being bitter. You can't ignore the talent this guy has.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Yzerfan1999 @ March 4, 2008 - 12:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems like the media hype really throws people off Crosby - you either have the people that ignore all that and actually watch him play - and the people who are so bothered by the attention this kid gets that they build a personal hatred for him.

Forget the endorsements, the coverage and all the other hype he gets - it is not hard to make the argument that he is the best player in the league based on the points he puts up and his style of play. Calling him a 'cry-baby' is just ignorant, so he bitched about a few calls when he was a rookie...who hasn't? It just shows his emotion level and commitment to the game.

Like I said, a lot of the people who don't recognize Crosby as one of the best - if not the best, come across as just being bitter. You can't ignore the talent this guy has.

Agreed.

I can completely understand getting sick of the Crosby hype, but people act as if he does that himself.

Watch him play the game. The kid's amazing and plays with incredible intensity.