• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cjeder

Swedes: A more loyal breed?

Rate this topic

After Sundin refused to waive his NTC and Forsberg returned to the Avs, despite both teams questionable prospects of making the playoffs, one must wonder, is there something about Swedes? Both Sundin and Forsberg mentioned their loyalty to their clubs as major factors in their decisions. No one can argue that Lidstrom has stayed in Detroit for less money than he might be worth on the Free Agent market. After a quick review of key Swede NHL players, almost none of them change teams after spending more than three years in one place. (Forsberg being the primary exception)

Looking at what Pittsburgh will have to do to retain Malkin, the frequency that Jagr has bounced around the league, and even Gretzky's late career status as a journeyman superstar, is there added value in Swedish loyalty?

More loyal AND better looking...

Detroit Red Wings

haha...Homer is my favorite!

Hahahaha, Homer's dancing was the best.. and Sammy's comment on Zeta.. thanks for posting that.

Seriously though, I don't think that Swedes are more loyal.. I'm pretty sure there heads dont work differently than other players. There just aren't the same amount of them in the league. You can find a ton of North American, Non-Swede Euro's who haven't switched teams. Ovie? Not swedish.

I don't think it is as simple as that. Most european players, when they grow up, Stanely Cup means very little. Think about you being a soccer player growing up in NA, which would you more appreciate, World Cup for your country or Champions League with your club in Europe? World Cup means so much more than Champions League title to your home country people.

However, when you are good enough to be a captain of the storied European soccer club.. say Machester United, or Real Madrid, you would try your best to be a model citizen not only for benefit of the club but because how you react kind of reflects on your home country as well.

I think everyone has different reason to be loyal to a club. In Sundin's case, I think he really took pride in a fact that he is the captain of Toronto Maple Leafs, arguably one of the most storied hockey franchise in the world. Also when Sundin first came to toronto via Wendel Clark trade, a lot of people didn't really approve Sundin because Clark was a very very popular figure in Toronto. Sundin might have tried really hard to be accepted as well and thus laying the ground for strong loyalty he is showing now.

His club is struggling right now and Sundin probably felt he needed to be a better leader and lead his team to playoff. Jumping off the ship, leaving your crews behind when the sinking is imminent is not what any honorable captain would do. Sundin is a very honorable man and an outstanding person. I live in Toronto, I hear about him all the times everywhere, I would know.

As for Nick, he is a saint. What more can there be said? I hope he plays until 50s.

Edited by Yemack

I don't think it is as simple as that. Most european players, when they grow up, Stanely Cup means very little. Think about you being a soccer player growing up in NA, which would you more appreciate, World Cup for your country or Champions League with your club in Europe? World Cup means so much more than Champions League title to your home country people.

However, when you are good enough to be a captain of the storied European soccer club.. say Machester United, or Real Madrid, you would try your best to be a model citizen not only for benefit of the club but because how you react kind of reflects on your home country as well.

I think everyone has different reason to be loyal to a club. In Sundin's case, I think he really took pride in a fact that he is the captain of Toronto Maple Leafs, arguably one of the most storied hockey franchise in the world. Also when Sundin first came to toronto via Wendel Clark trade, a lot of people didn't really approve Sundin because Clark was a very very popular figure in Toronto. Sundin might have tried really hard to be accepted as well and thus laying the ground for strong loyalty he is showing now.

His club is struggling right now and Sundin probably felt he needed to be a better leader and lead his team to playoff. Jumping off the ship, leaving your crews behind when the sinking is imminent is not what any honorable captain would do. Sundin is a very honorable man and an outstanding person. I live in Toronto, I hear about him all the times everywhere, I would know.

As for Nick, he is a saint. What more can there be said? I hope he plays until 50s.

I don't think stanley cup means "very little" to hockeyplayers here in europe. They grow up watching nhl and se their idols winning. Almost every hockeyplayer dream about playing in the nhl and hoist the cup - Maybe more so in NA but I would'nt discount european players passion and ambition for the cup

World cup in soccer happens only once every fourth year. It's the biggest thing for a soccer player - bigger than champions league so that was an bad example

Agree on everything else you said

I don't think stanley cup means "very little" to hockeyplayers here in europe. They grow up watching nhl and se their idols winning. Almost every hockeyplayer dream about playing in the nhl and hoist the cup - Maybe more so in NA but I would'nt discount european players passion and ambition for the cup

World cup in soccer happens only once every fourth year. It's the biggest thing for a soccer player - bigger than champions league so that was an bad example

maybe the soccer analogy was bad.. but i don't follow soccer so. ;)

I wouldnt say it means nothing to them, but it without a doubt, generally speaking, means less. European players are all about international play first and foremost, as well as their own leagues. There is no way, after coming over here, that they are initially going to feel the same passion for Lord Stanley. I think that is something that needs to build over many years of playing in the NHL for them.

does that mean were stuck with sammy? :blink:

"Sammy, we've been thinking.... about this slump the wings are in..."

"Don't worry, Kenny, I'm with ya through and through! If this boat's going down, you won't be able to pry me off!"

"No you don't...."

"You know you can always count on ol' loyal Sammy! I'm glad we had this talk."

"Sammy, we've been thinking.... about this slump the wings are in..."

"Don't worry, Kenny, I'm with ya through and through! If this boat's going down, you won't be able to pry me off!"

"No you don't...."

"You know you can always count on ol' loyal Sammy! I'm glad we had this talk."

Poor Sammy.

I don't know about Swedes or Europeans, but one thing that impresses me about the Red Wings as an organization is the loyalty they seem to inspire in a lot of their players, regardless of where they came from.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard
Hahahaha, Homer's dancing was the best.. and Sammy's comment on Zeta.. thanks for posting that.

Seriously though, I don't think that Swedes are more loyal.. I'm pretty sure there heads dont work differently than other players. There just aren't the same amount of them in the league. You can find a ton of North American, Non-Swede Euro's who haven't switched teams. Ovie? Not swedish.

It's not necessary for their heads to work differently than other players, it is very possibly a cultural thing. Kinda like how black people mainly smoke blunts, and white people tend to smoke out of glass, it's not a prejudice or anything, it's cultural.

Edited by paveldatsukthenextsavard

I don't think it is as simple as that. Most european players, when they grow up, Stanely Cup means very little.

Didn't they say that was a reason the Wings wouldn't win a Cup back in 97? That Euros had no heart for the Cup run etc etc etc?

Haven't we moved past that?