• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grittzkey

Maltby Is The Man

Rate this topic

I'm going to have to be the minority with this one I guess.

Yes, he had a great game tonight. He had that goal, and he traded roughing minutes with Afinogenov, and he was out there for the first goal as well.

But one great game does not make me forget the other games. Just like Sammy scoring the other night doesn't make me forget how horrible he usually is.

Maltby has been nothing this year. He doesn't fight, and I think some of you are overestimating his agitating abilities. For somebody who talks the talk as much as he does .. when was the last time he walked the walk? An agitator that refuses to fight is just annoying to me. At least Sean Avery will drop the gloves.

Offense .. ugg. Yes, I realize he's not out there to produce points, but he's on the third line, you would think he would get something once in a while.

He's not bad out there, it's not like he makes mistakes, but he's not good either. He's just .. nothing to me.

Now after typing this I guess I could say the same for our entire checking line. Drake is just as bad as Maltby, but at least he dropped the gloves a few times. Draper was hot at the beginning of the year, but when was his last goal? Maybe I just don't have feelings for a checking line. They're just out there to eat up the clock .. and that makes for boring hockey to me.

Maltby = an old agitator that rarely scores and never fights

McCarty = an old agitator that rarely scores and fights

McCarty > Maltby in my opinion

Maybe I just don't have feelings for a checking line. They're just out there to eat up the clock .. and that makes for boring hockey to me.

I have to disagree with that statement about them eating up the clock. As a coach or a team, you never put out a line to "eat up clock." Each line has a purpose, and Maltby/Draps/Drake are out there to grind down the opposition. You always need a few guys out there to strike a little fear into the other team, otherwise they start taking liberties and playing without fear. As a hockey player, you always have in the back of your mind that you could be getting hit. But once you get comfortable and feel that the other team isn't going to hit, you play a much more open style and by doing so, create more chances.

Plus, every guy needs to have a role - and the three of them are solid on the PK. Also, not everyone is blessed with a scoring touch lol so they take on the role of agitator to make up where they lack.

But yeah, don't ever think guys are being sent out to eat up clock, its not really about that :)

Guest Canadian Wings
Is 'fluid' english even a term? I think you mean fluent? Although I could be mistaken...

Yeah i will admit, Malts is kind of the bomb.

:lol:

I love Malts, because he's one of those guys that you love only if he plays on your team. The only knock on him is that other agitators will at least fight from time to time, which we know he'll never do. Guys who run their mouth but don't back it up are called basketball players. But like I said originally, you got to love him when he plays for your team.

Guest micah

I don't think I've ever liked a hockey player less than I like Kirk Maltby.

He is a good penalty killer, I give him that...but I loathe the guy. I don't like cocky dudes who don't back up their mouths. I didn't like them on the playground, I don't like them in bars, I don't like them at the stadium or on my TV.

:lol: - no kidding!

Guy scores a goal, & once again Maltby love is in full bloom...Nothing against the guy, but his best years are behind him - doesn't even agitate like he used to which IMO was his best asset...Maybe Dmac will bring out the best in him for the playoffs.

I know, geez...wheres the Drake thread at too?? ;) As much as people are so quick to overreact negatively around here, the opposite is just as true. A guy can do nothing for months, score once, and become an instant hero! Gotta love it!

Don't be callin' Malts too old just yet... Me and the agitator share the same birthday/year! besides, as long as he's still playin, I can feel good about playin in a beer league somewhere!

PS., I'm glad to see that dusty old fart out there on the ice!

:lol: - no kidding!

Guy scores a goal, & once again Maltby love is in full bloom...Nothing against the guy, but his best years are behind him - doesn't even agitate like he used to which IMO was his best asset...Maybe Dmac will bring out the best in him for the playoffs.

That's what I'm expecting. His best years were with Mac protecting him and giving him some space. Same with Drapes. I love both of them, but if Mac cant get them going again, I dunno if it was such a good idea to re-sign them. (Though, I'd rather have them then some scrub from Ugoslavia :thumbup:)

That's what I'm expecting. His best years were with Mac protecting him and giving him some space. Same with Drapes. I love both of them, but if Mac cant get them going again, I dunno if it was such a good idea to re-sign them. (Though, I'd rather have them then some scrub from Ugoslavia :thumbup:)

This team only drafts Swedes my friend. ;)

I love Malts, because he's one of those guys that you love only if he plays on your team. The only knock on him is that other agitators will at least fight from time to time, which we know he'll never do. Guys who run their mouth but don't back it up are called basketball players. But like I said originally, you got to love him when he plays for your team.

LOL! :lol:

Kirk Maltby has been around since the beginning of the Cup years. He knows the system, the culture of the organization, and is proud to wear the winged wheel. He is worth the modest salary he earns, and plays his role well. There are only a few that have been around since this run began. Give him his due.

It's true that there isn't a lot of Maltby love around here until he scores a goal. I think this is because those of us who like him just don't have anything to talk about until he scores a goal and someone starts a thread.

I mean, what are we going to say otherwise? Um, yeah, Maltby sure is.....um..........dressed for the game. Yeah, that's an interesting thread.

He's tied for 5th on my "Top 5 Wings" list. I had to have ties or I couldn't fit everyone in.

I like Maltby, but he is invisible for over 90% of regular season and he did not show much in playoffs last year.

But I would still take him over Hudler.

??? He played great in the playoffs last year. He always does. Yeah, I'd take him over Hudler too.

I just can't get over the fact that Grittzkey used "He speaks fluid English" as a reason why Maltby is the man.

:lol:

Apparently, the English language can flow like water if you speak it good enough. :lol: