Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

maltby is the bomb

#22 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

Always been a big fan of Malts, and loves what he brings to the table for the Wings.

He was AWESOME tonight. So happy for him. I love the fact that he TOOK the punch from Max and didn't do a thing to retaliate just so Maxim could get a matching penalty. Twas brilliant!

Just wait till Mac is back and THE GRIND LINE starts rolling. I CANNOT WAIT.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#23 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

I've always been a huge fan of Maltby.....one of the key guys in the Wings' core.

#24 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

I've always been a big fan of Malts. I'm happy he's going to be able to retire a Red Wing.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#25 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

He's been a favorite of mine since the first game he played in a Wings jersey. He got into a fight at the end of the game and got his jersey ripped. It was great. I wish he'd get that scoring touch that developed before the lockout back. It's tough with his minutes though...
-Elliot...does not panic.

#26 Grittzkey

Grittzkey

L L L L SAD FACE

• HoF Booster
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:33 AM

Did i mention

Maltby is the man?
Lebda - Your Off The Team... My most used quote during the games.

#27 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:35 AM

I love Malts and am glad he will retire as a Wing.

That said, I'm not gonna cry when he's done playing.
*this space for rent*

#28 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:57 AM

it would be kinda neat if we could pickup Matt Cooke this summer.

#29 Textbook

Textbook

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

I'm going to have to be the minority with this one I guess.

Yes, he had a great game tonight. He had that goal, and he traded roughing minutes with Afinogenov, and he was out there for the first goal as well.

But one great game does not make me forget the other games. Just like Sammy scoring the other night doesn't make me forget how horrible he usually is.

Maltby has been nothing this year. He doesn't fight, and I think some of you are overestimating his agitating abilities. For somebody who talks the talk as much as he does .. when was the last time he walked the walk? An agitator that refuses to fight is just annoying to me. At least Sean Avery will drop the gloves.

Offense .. ugg. Yes, I realize he's not out there to produce points, but he's on the third line, you would think he would get something once in a while.

He's not bad out there, it's not like he makes mistakes, but he's not good either. He's just .. nothing to me.

Now after typing this I guess I could say the same for our entire checking line. Drake is just as bad as Maltby, but at least he dropped the gloves a few times. Draper was hot at the beginning of the year, but when was his last goal? Maybe I just don't have feelings for a checking line. They're just out there to eat up the clock .. and that makes for boring hockey to me.

Maltby = an old agitator that rarely scores and never fights
McCarty = an old agitator that rarely scores and fights

McCarty > Maltby in my opinion

#30 Redwingsfan18

Redwingsfan18

Enemies, then teammates, now enemies again for the next 12 years

• Silver Booster
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (Textbook @ March 3, 2008 - 01:04AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I just don't have feelings for a checking line. They're just out there to eat up the clock .. and that makes for boring hockey to me.

I have to disagree with that statement about them eating up the clock. As a coach or a team, you never put out a line to "eat up clock." Each line has a purpose, and Maltby/Draps/Drake are out there to grind down the opposition. You always need a few guys out there to strike a little fear into the other team, otherwise they start taking liberties and playing without fear. As a hockey player, you always have in the back of your mind that you could be getting hit. But once you get comfortable and feel that the other team isn't going to hit, you play a much more open style and by doing so, create more chances.

Plus, every guy needs to have a role - and the three of them are solid on the PK. Also, not everyone is blessed with a scoring touch lol so they take on the role of agitator to make up where they lack.

But yeah, don't ever think guys are being sent out to eat up clock, its not really about that smile.gif
In Kenny I trust.

#31 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (cirov19 @ March 2, 2008 - 09:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is 'fluid' english even a term? I think you mean fluent? Although I could be mistaken...

Yeah i will admit, Malts is kind of the bomb.

laugh.gif

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:26 AM

Who's this Maltby guy everyone here keeps talking about?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

I love Malts, because he's one of those guys that you love only if he plays on your team. The only knock on him is that other agitators will at least fight from time to time, which we know he'll never do. Guys who run their mouth but don't back it up are called basketball players. But like I said originally, you got to love him when he plays for your team.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

He's ok. Personally, altho maybe it's smarter for him to run his mouth without fighting, it's still annoying to me.
"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#35 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ March 3, 2008 - 12:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's ok. Personally, altho maybe it's smarter for him to run his mouth without fighting, it's still annoying to me.

He does it on purpose to draw a penalty. I think it's a great tactic.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#36 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ March 3, 2008 - 03:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who's this Maltby guy everyone here keeps talking about?

You can find him hiding behind a ref like they were his momma.
I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

#37 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

I don't think I've ever liked a hockey player less than I like Kirk Maltby.

He is a good penalty killer, I give him that...but I loathe the guy. I don't like cocky dudes who don't back up their mouths. I didn't like them on the playground, I don't like them in bars, I don't like them at the stadium or on my TV.

"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#38 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (vangvace @ March 3, 2008 - 05:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can find him hiding behind a ref like they were his momma.

laugh.gif - no kidding!

Guy scores a goal, & once again Maltby love is in full bloom...Nothing against the guy, but his best years are behind him - doesn't even agitate like he used to which IMO was his best asset...Maybe Dmac will bring out the best in him for the playoffs.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#39 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ March 3, 2008 - 08:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif - no kidding!

Guy scores a goal, & once again Maltby love is in full bloom...Nothing against the guy, but his best years are behind him - doesn't even agitate like he used to which IMO was his best asset...Maybe Dmac will bring out the best in him for the playoffs.

I know, geez...wheres the Drake thread at too?? wink.gif As much as people are so quick to overreact negatively around here, the opposite is just as true. A guy can do nothing for months, score once, and become an instant hero! Gotta love it!
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#40 Jooks91

Jooks91

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

Don't be callin' Malts too old just yet... Me and the agitator share the same birthday/year! besides, as long as he's still playin, I can feel good about playin in a beer league somewhere!

PS., I'm glad to see that dusty old fart out there on the ice!
Do you ever have the urge to crosscheck a co-worker into a wall?

just wondering..... 'cuz I do, EVERY DAY!!!