• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

This year vs Last year

Rate this topic

So we're officially past the deadline, and the team we have now is more or less the team we're going to be watching come April. So my question to you is, with all the acquisitions and walks, how do you think our teams compares to that of last year.

Walks: Lang, Bertuzzi, Markov, Schneider, Calder

Acquisitions: Rafalski, Stuart, McCarty, Downey, Drake

Personally I think we've more than made up any losses we've experienced on defense. Markov was physical, but Stuart IMO is a much greater physical presence than Markov (as well as defensively). I think Schneider has a better offensive eye than Rafalski, but Rafaslki is more responsible defensively.

As for offensively, the only real way we filled any holes left by Lang, Bertuzzi and Calder is by giving our younger guys more ice time. Filppulla has generally showed promising spurts of talent throughout the league, and when he's hot, he's capable of a solid top 6 forward position. Kopecky has surprised me even more, as of late, as he has been practically nonexistant before February. Although he seems to be improving, he still has a long way to go to help make up for any losses that we endured over the summer. As for McCarty, who knows how effective he will be, but I don't think it will be enough to pick up any slack that the rest of our offensive line may have. Drake and Downey have been nonfactors for anything besides physicality.

Physically we've made huge strides, loosing big bodies, and gaining big bodies. I think we cam out on top with this one.

Goaltending has been shaky at first, although I think we still have the same skill and solidity coming in to the playoffs.

Overall: +1 (slightly better overall than last year, but not by much)

Defensively: +1

Offensively: -2

Physically: +2

Goaltending: 0

Edited by Echolalia

random grading system : -10

effectivness of your post : -4.36

laughs i got from reading it: 2.2

Laughs I got from reading your post: NONE, because it was so ignorant, it wasn't even funny.

His post is a good, quality analysis with intention to spark up a potentially good conversation. I just disagree a bit though. Prior to this slump, it would have been easy to say that we were at something significantly higher than a +1 overall upgrade.

Being a jerk -1

Acting like you own this forum -1

Adding nothing to the post but your arrogance -1

about 4 more posts like this from taking a vacation +1

How I compared this year's team from last year's was may've been arbitrary, but it definitely wasn't random. There were valid reasons for the decisions that I made in comparisons, and if you don't like or care about it then post somewhere else.

knowledge of the word 'random' -2

general politeness of your post: -5

how good your tv really is: -10

using random numbers like they actually have value to what you are discussing: -12.23

my new elven battle sword with darkfire: +5

www.dictionary.com

go look up the word random, and then go look up the word arbitrary, then read over your posts again hopefully a bit smarter than when you posted them.

just ignore the guy, he is trying to get attention

I think -2 for offensive is a couple minus's too much to be honest

Flippula is almost a 20 goal scorer which I think is great, he has only gotten better, rather have him then Lang

Bertuzzi was like non-exsistint and McCarty, Downey, and Drake make up for his physical presence, even more

Calder was a healthy scratch at times so I wont count him much

Hudler has gotten better and before Febuary, I thought he was pretty decent

Cleary has only gotten even better

So I would actually give our offense a +1, espicially considering most of our younger players have some experiance going into the playoffs

im sorry, please explain your amazing grading system to me. It obviously escapes my grasp. what is the system based on? what attributes does it measure? and when do those measurements warrent a +-x? what are some of the variables within the system that you had to counterbalance? how long did this grading system take to develop? when will it be used by the NHL? Im sure the greatness of such a grading system wont go unnoticed for long, have you thought of getting it copywrited?

The West is going to be the Stars, Ducks, or Wings.

I thought this would be San Jose's year, but they are pretty underwhelming.

Who do I think is going to be the West champion this year? Honestly, I think it's too close to call. The Wings are slumping right now though.

In the East, Ottawa has fallen recently. So the team I'm rooting for come playoff time is Montreal.

im sorry, please explain your amazing grading system to me. It obviously escapes my grasp. what is the system based on? what attributes does it measure? and when do those measurements warrent a +-x? what are some of the variables within the system that you had to counterbalance? how long did this grading system take to develop? when will it be used by the NHL? Im sure the greatness of such a grading system wont go unnoticed for long, have you thought of getting it copywrited?

Oh man... I am not going to say anything other than respect other people's posts. If its not 100% obviously stupid then don't make negative remarks. This OP is not even slightly stupid. It's well thought out.

I agree. I think we have a better team this year, although I feel our offense has remained the same, and our defense (like you said) is better this year, and then physically we have definately improved. It really depends on how much ice time they give Downey and if Mccarty comes back fit. I heard he got his ass kicked with GR.

This is what I said in another thread:

Defense going into 06-07 playoffs:

Lidstrom-Markov

Schneider-Lilja

Lebda-Chelios

Defense going into 07-08 playoffs:

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Chelios-Lilja

Pretty easily a better defense on paper. Lilja is out of the top four, Kronwall is in the lineup and improved, Rafalski is younger and better than Schneider, and this year's defense is more offensively capable than last year's. If they're healthy (knock on wood), the Wings will enter the post-season with four legit point men for the powerplay in Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and Stuart. Last year there were only two: Lidstrom and Schneider.

The bottom-six forwards are essentially a wash along with the first line. I feel they're more gritty and experienced than last season's, though. What it really comes down to is the second line. Calder was a non-factor in the playoffs and was eventually scratched.

Lang had a very clutch (series-saving, most likely) goal, but I can't imagine he had teams worried like you suggest. He sucked defensively and floated the majority o the time. Filppula will be replacing him. Filppula is younger, better defensively, and will likely score more goals than Lang did last year (Filppula currently has 18 goals, Lang had 19 last year). Filppula was, IMO, better than Lang in the playoffs last year.

Bertuzzi, again, was a non-factor. Aside from his name, the guy was nothing more than a glorified bottom six grinder minus defensive capability. He, like Lang, floated the majority of the time. He had a few nice hits here and there but rarely contributed offensively. He had a key giveaway in the Anaheim series that I remember. Cleary by far outshined Bertuzzi last year and he's gotten better this year.

You're looking at the names on paper; opposing teams won't be. The second line was pretty useless in the post-season and the Wings still nearly managed to beat Anaheim. Does this mean I'm comfortable with our second line? No, but I wasn't comfortable with it last year either and the Wings got pretty damn far. You have to remember that Filppula, Hudler, Franzen, Cleary, and Samuelsson are all a year older and have playoff experience under their belts now. Things can't get much worse than Bertuzzi, Lang, and Calder were last year. The guys the Wings have now are younger and more motivated. Plus, the Wings are deeper at defense.

On top of all that, you can tell this team is hungry. Hungrier than last year. They came close and they know it.

Edited by ARice89

how about showing some respect for fellow memebers?

a few quick thoughts.

offense: +0

i think we're even with last year to be honest. the zetterberg line is nuts, but the secondary scoring comes and goes like last year.

defense: +2

Kronwall is coming into his and i cant applaud Kenny Holland because he found a replacement for Schneider in Rafalski. i didnt know much about him but he seems to be a big time player. Lilja is better than last year, and Cheli is solid as a rock

Goaltending: +3

Ozzie has revived his career and was an allstar. Hasek has recovered greatly after his very slow start. Two goalie tandem is great for this team, despite Ozzie's current struggles.

i guess the biggest indicator will be April and further.

Guest Crymson

I don't think we've lost anything offensively, really. Lang, Bert and Calder were awful in the playoffs, we've got a hungrier team, and we're on pace to exceed our offensive production from last year. You'll remember that Lang and Williams (pre-Calder) were god-awful in the second half of last season, and that Bertuzzi did nothing during the regular season either.

As such, I don't see where the basis of your -2 on offense lies.

Defence: Well, with Schnieder we beat Anaheim no question. But what will the defence be like this year in the playoffs? You'd have to think it'll be better, but you never know.

Offense: The top line is great, so is Cleary. Filpula is good, but very inconsitent, can you count on him come playoff time? We'll have to see. I think Franzen will probably have another solid playoffs, and who knows with Sammy. Kopecky and Hudler I believe will easily equal Calder's and Lang's uselessness from last year, except they'll probably score less scores. I'd say.... could be better, but could go all the way.

Goaltending: Dom is Dom, Osgood is Osgood. Can go either way.

I'd say we have a 1 in 3 chance of winning the cup. If we get to the 3rd round and dont have face Anaheim or Dallas, I'd say we're a lock for the Cup. No one in the East is good enough to win the cup.

The other factor I forgot to mention is how much grittier they are this year. If we do have to face Anaheim in the playoffs, it'll be nice seeing Downey, McCarty and Drake out there, even up the playing field if only just a little.

I dont understand the whole "hungrier" thing. We'll see come playoff time if they are or not, being hungry in the regular season is a whole different shabang.

I don't think we've lost anything offensively, really. Lang, Bert and Calder were awful in the playoffs, we've got a hungrier team, and we're on pace to exceed our offensive production from last year. You'll remember that Lang and Williams (pre-Calder) were god-awful in the second half of last season, and that Bertuzzi did nothing during the regular season either.

As such, I don't see where the basis of your -2 on offense lies.

At the very least, Bertuzzi Lang and Calder all provided veteranship and playoff experience. I agree fully that they didn't produce to the degree that was expected of them, and I also agree that Filpulla Hudler Kopecky and McCarty are also capable of doing more than what was done on the second and third lines last year, but they only have 3 rounds of playoff experience and limited ice time in those series. I hope they all come out flying, but I still think we have taken a couple steps back offensively from last year. Hopefully they prove me wrong though.

The original post was good. I think the statement about Stuart being more of a physical presense that Markov may be a little off although I haven't had the ability to watch Stuart play a whole ton so I won't argue you much about that. The success of our defense lies solely on the guy's playing minutes they can handle which we will get back to once the injured guys get back. Lebda and Lilja are not capable of big minutes but are both effective with the normal minutes they are used to. I think an intangibles category(team chemistry, sticking up for teammates etc...) would be a good one to add to the report card. I think we would be a +3 this year compared to last. Everyone seems to buy into the system we play and when we are going good everyone seem's to trust and stick up for the other guys.