• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Skiing - Puck

Avery breaks off contract talks with Rangers

Rate this topic

I like the part of the video where we comes up behind the reporter and bangs on the glass.

I would love Avery on our team though... his agitating skills are fantastic and he is good at racking up points when needed.

2.5 mil? No. I would have to agree that that would be a slap to Cleary's face. 2 mil sounds better.

I really like Avery, but his loud mouth ALWAYS gets him and his team in trouble. It is a toss up between picking him up in the summer, or not. He does has skills besides annoying everyone within 100 feet of him. If Maltby was to retire then I would say sign him, but I wouldn't give up Maltby for Avery. Though, Avery does produce much more than Maltby, and Avery will fight! For me it is a toss up.

Big risk obviously with his attitude, but I wouldn't mind trying to get Avery back for somewhere around $2 - $2.25M a year. I don't keep up with NHL news that well in general, but it hasn't seemed like he's acted like a drama queen lately, which seemed to be his specialty in Los Angeles.

People in here have goofy dreams about wanting grit/hustle/toughness. Avery brings that and has developed somewhat of a scoring touch it seems.

Again, attitude is the big question but I'd be open on taking a chance on him again if the situation made sense.

I'd take Avery back in a second. No doubt in my mind. He'd finally add some secondary scoring to this team, and give the Wings some offensive depth on that putred 2nd line, and his attitude on the ice would be perfect when playing the team like the Ducks.

I've wanted Avery back ever since the Wings got rid of him, and still very much do. He'd bring a mixture of elements that the Wings lack, and I guarentee that even his biggest critics would eventually like him again if the Wings signed him.

I would love Avery back on the Wings! Everyone loved him when he was here... High energy and fun to watch. I would take him over any of our third to fourth line players.

Problem with Maltby is that he needed either McCarty, or Kocur with him to feel so brave while Avery pulls his stunts all on his own.

No Dmac & no Joey K = a non-agitating Maltby.

That he wouldn't fight just added to the other teams frustration.

I'd take Avery back in a second. No doubt in my mind. He'd finally add some secondary scoring to this team, and give the Wings some offensive depth on that putred 2nd line, and his attitude on the ice would be perfect when playing the team like the Ducks.

I've wanted Avery back ever since the Wings got rid of him, and still very much do. He'd bring a mixture of elements that the Wings lack, and I guarentee that even his biggest critics would eventually like him again if the Wings signed him.

Puppy's offensive output is solidly on par with our current putrid 2nd line. Hudler has been snakebitten beyond belief for two months, but he's still only a couple points off of Avery's scoring pace. And Sean has been playing with the likes of Jagr and Shanahan as opposed to Drake and Downey.

The downsides to Avery far outweigh the upsides. He's not good enough or tough enough to compensate for his mouth and ego.

EDIT - Some of you guys need to realize that just because you've been starved of having a Probert/Kocur/etc... on the Wings that you don't need to pin your hopes and dreams to any middling fighter that might be available. If you're gonna go, go all out, but please quit pining for the likes of Avery, Asham, Barnes, Bootland, Norton, etc... They suck. Hard. In no way, shape, or form could they make the Wings tough or tilt our effectiveness in the playoffs or anything like that. You may as well be pining for ice girls so you have something pretty to look at as they'd have the same impact on the Wings' success.

So far he's held his own, & he's been in the league for what - 5, or 6 years?

Granted it's his mouth that lands him in hot water with his teammates, & coaching staff...As much as I'd like to see a guy like him on the Red Wings I can't believe Holland/Nill/Yzerman think he would fit in.

Lot's of guys have been in the league 5/6 years. Very few have a bigger mouth and/or ego than Sean Avery.

Guest Crymson

Gee, it's the old "you hate him now, but you'd love him were he playing for the Wings!" argument.

WRONG. The guy is a cancer in the locker room and a disgrace to the game. I'd not want to see this team's integrity busted by having a guy like him any more than I'd like to see a douchebag like TooToo add "toughness" to our team.

That said, Avery is racking up points playing with great players... and he's still got less output than, say, Filppula or Hudler. 'Finally add some secondary scoring'? Are you watching hockey this year?

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson
I would love Avery back on the Wings! Everyone loved him when he was here... High energy and fun to watch. I would take him over any of our third to fourth line players.

Another total exaggeration.

So sorry, but I don't know if 'everyone' was a fan of a guy who racked up few points and dozens upon dozens of inane penalty minutes. There was a reason that he NEVER played in the playoffs here.

Gee, it's the old "you hate him now, but you'd love him were he playing for the Wings!" argument.

WRONG. The guy is a cancer in the locker room and a disgrace to the game. I'd not want to see this team's integrity busted by having a guy like him any more than I'd like to see a douchebag like TooToo add "toughness" to our team.

That said, Avery is racking up points playing with great players... and he's still got less output than, say, Filppula or Hudler. 'Finally add some secondary scoring'? Are you watching hockey this year?

Tootoo and Avery are two different players. Nobody cheap shots like Tootoo.

I don't know about you, but I became a Wings fan in the 80's. What I loved about the team then was that no matter what, if anybody touched Yzerman, they were going to get a fist in the face. Downey has occasionally failed to answer that call, sometimes he isn't even dressed, and I don't think Drake has fought once since he broke his face (so obviously there's a reason for it). Whether Mac can contribute remains to be seen. Having the most polite team in the league isn't a merit award. I'm not going to apologize for wanting another guy that fights on this team.

Avery's played 25 less games than Filppula and 24 less than Hudler, so comparing them this year is tough. Fil's done some time with Dats and Zetterberg, so he's definitely played with our best, as Avery does in NY. What I can tell you is that neither Hudler, nor Fil, have or will ever be able to drop the gloves against anyone. Even the mascots.

30 of Avery's 48 points last year came with the Kings. I don't know who his linemates were then, but I can guarantee none of them were named Jagr.

I, myself, am not bloody pining for anybody not named Roberto Luongo. I certainly don't want to break the bank for Avery, I just wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if Kenny makes him an offer this summer.

I am sorry but any one that thinks avery will jump to the help of a teammate is confusing him for a real enforcer. Yes he will throw down when it comes down to backing up his own mouth, sometimes, but he is not running around like Probie did.

Please don't ever classify Avery in the same vein as Probert and Kocur.

...well if McCarty works out, I think with him and Downey we have plenty of these type of players. I just hope they play together instead of Drake playing with McCarty. I guess what I am saying is I hope McCarty works out and takes Drake place NOT Downey's...

...They we don't need Avery...

...edited Opie. Is this better? How about YOU don't need Avery...

Edited by LeftWinger

...well if McCarty works out, I think with him and Downey we have plenty of these type of players. I just hope they play together instead of Drake playing with McCarty. I guess what I am saying is I hope McCarty works out and takes Drake place NOT Downey's...

...we don't need Avery...

DID YOU JUST SAY WE!!!

Listen man I have hesitated on the "You are a band wagoner" when you post and I hate when any fans use the word we to describe the team they root for, and I don't jump on people a lot for using it, However;

YOU SIR, HAVE LOST ALL RIGHT TO SAY WE WHEN REFERRING TO THE WINGS UNLESS YOU SAY "WE WENT TO A WING'S GAME!"

You cannot turn in you Red Wings card one week (for a dumb reason I might add, remember when you did it and the team was still in first place in the NHL) and then say we need this or we did this or we whatever the hell you want to say.

And honestly I don't give a crap what the rest of the posters here think, you bailed on this team for no reason, and now they are you team again.

BULLs***!!!!