• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
umredwing11

Outdoor Game at Wrigley Field?

Rate this topic

Per MSNBC

According to msnbc.com, the nhl is strongly considering another winter classic, this time at Wrigley Field. I like the idea, but I am also concerned that Bettman is thinking that since the outdoor game worked once, he'll put it on overkill and do it all the time--and that takes away from the excitement and uniqueness of it. What's everybody think?

That said, if the outdoor thing is going to be consistently done, I think it'd be awesome to have a double header with Michigan/MSU, Wings/Somebody else at the Big House.

Edited by umredwing11

I think Chicago, the city not the team, would be great at hosting a Winter Classic. If it's in Chicago though Wirtz would probably black it out. Other than that the uniqueness factor might be lost like umredwing11 said.

I think Chicago, the city not the team, would be great at hosting a Winter Classic. If it's in Chicago though Wirtz would probably black it out. Other than that the uniqueness factor might be lost like umredwing11 said.

Not anymore with his son taking over the team.

Per MSNBC

I think it'd be awesome to have a double header with Michigan/MSU, Wings/Somebody else at the Big House.

i have been saying that for months now! yes!

personally, i think it should be wings/leafs, but really anyone not from the southeast division would be alright.

William Wirtz passed away last year. His son has been trying to alter some of the things his father did such as black out every game.

edit: oops, CenterIce was faster...

Edited by Nero

I think the Winter Classic is bitchen and even more so if the Wings were playin in it. But I do have to agree that, if they have one too often, it takes away from the excitement and prestige. I say once a year at most. I also say it would be better at Soldier Field instead of Wrigley. I think the ultimate would be Wings vs Habs/Leafs in a small town in the middle of Manitoba or Saskatchewan. And have everyone converge on this town like Sturgis. Make it a 4 day event that would start out with kids, moving up to college ranks and then the finale between the Wings vs __________.

Edited by miller76

I heard if Chicago hosted one it would be at Soldier Field.

They tried to come to terms with a deal, but couldn't. Now some in the Blackhawk front office use to work for the Cubs front office, so they are trying to set up something at Wrigley.

It would be great if the Wings were a part of this, 2 original 6 teams going at it at a famed stadium such as Wrigley. :thumbup::thumbup: I would buy tickets in a heart beat.

Jeff Riger must be reading this. He just said something about it on WXYT. I think either Wrigley or Soldier Field would be a good site. Don't have a preference either way. Wouldn't it be cool if Lake Michigan was frozen and the game was on the lake?

As for Wirtz, who's to say he doesn't resort to his father's evil ways? I could see that happening.

Edited by auxlepli

Per MSNBC

According to msnbc.com, the nhl is strongly considering another winter classic, this time at Wrigley Field. I like the idea, but I am also concerned that Bettman is thinking that since the outdoor game worked once, he'll put it on overkill and do it all the time--and that takes away from the excitement and uniqueness of it. What's everybody think?

That said, if the outdoor thing is going to be consistently done, I think it'd be awesome to have a double header with Michigan/MSU, Wings/Somebody else at the Big House.

I just read an article on NHL.com. Bettman also just spoke during the intermission of the 'Hawks game. He intends to keep the outdoor game special and not overkill it.

The outdoor game would not be blacked out. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but that's exactly what Wirtz is right now.

In the article it mentioned an outdoor game that was going to be staged at Soldier Field a few years ago. Since the Chicago Park District operates Soldier Field, they were unable to come to an agreement with the Blackhawks to host an outdoor game. The Blackhawks President (John McDonough) has a very good relationship with the Cubs and their ownership (was their team President before going to the Blackhawks in November). The only flaw I see with Wrigley Field is the drainage system. I believe there would need to be a ton of work done to make a game at Wrigley possible. If it does happen, though, I will be there!

Guest DetroitBoy313

I promised myself that if there is an outside game I am definitely going to purchase tickets.I never been to Chicago and what a reason to go (that is IF they play the Wings).I will be there with my Wings jersey cheering the boys on,and annoying the s*** outta those Blackhawk fans lol.

Sure, as long as the Wings aren't involved. Sorry, but listening to a thousand "Red Wings suck!!!1" chants during a regular Blackhawks game is bad enough. Playing it outdoors, with more people watching, will be even more annoying. I'd have to watch it on Mute the whole time.

Besides, if the Wings do play an outdoor game, I'd rather have it be here locally in Michigan. This dying state needs something for publicity, among other things, and I think an outdoor game would help.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Recall that the game got extremely solid ratings when it was played on New Year's Day in the afternoon, competing for viewership for sports at least with the busiest bowl game day in college football. And, to the general population, it's a pretty safe bet that college football is more popular or easier to identify with than hockey. So all in all, I'd say the event this year was a success. I don't see the harm, at least for now, in doing this once a year every year.

I'd see two problems with having the game at Wrigley.

1: Baseball stadiums wouldn't have the best angles for viewing. Too much open space and funky angles.

2: Wrigley has natural grass, which probably doesn't handle the ice surface that well.

A double header at the Big Pit in Ann Arbor would probably be the best idea, since they have turf now. MSU/UM and then Red Wings/Leafs (or any other O6 team).

I think that it would be great to do this every couple of years. Maybe it could be a Hawks vs Wings game next at wrigley. that would be sweet.

Don't like the idea of holding one at the big house. I just think that it is to big. Imagine being at the top of the stadium. I don't think that you would be able to see a thing.

Maybe hold it again at MSU. Wish there was somewhere closer to detroit that it could be held.

Don't like the idea of holding one at the big house. I just think that it is to big. Imagine being at the top of the stadium. I don't think that you would be able to see a thing.

Maybe hold it again at MSU. Wish there was somewhere closer to detroit that it could be held.

MSU has natural grass now. I believe one of the reasons the Cold War was done at Spartan Stadium and not Michigan Stadium the first time around was that MSU had a turf field while UM had natural grass. In that time, the two stadiums have switched their fields.

But yeah, every 2-3 years would be a good way to do it.

I say do it once every year, people will love it.

Once a year in my book is not overkill, I think twice a year would still keep it exciting.

It is when it starts to happen every month or 10 times a year that I think it would become overkill.

yeah i actually agree with opie for once...once a year would be great and not overkill. in fact i think it's important for publicity reasons. why not have an outdoor all star game. that would actually make the all star game watchable and players would love being selected. don't even get me started on all star weekend these days cause it equals no fun. players just don't care anymore. wait here i go about it, enough.

there was talk about the pens and flyers doing one at penn state. i think it's all just rumors fans want.

Edited by DenJ91

Den great idea, outdoor all-star game!!!!!!!!!

I for one second this idea and think it should be brought to the attention of the league!

One Outdoor regular season game, and the all star game!!

Get it done kenny

1-800-hansons

In the article it mentioned an outdoor game that was going to be staged at Soldier Field a few years ago. Since the Chicago Park District operates Soldier Field, they were unable to come to an agreement with the Blackhawks to host an outdoor game. The Blackhawks President (John McDonough) has a very good relationship with the Cubs and their ownership (was their team President before going to the Blackhawks in November). The only flaw I see with Wrigley Field is the drainage system. I believe there would need to be a ton of work done to make a game at Wrigley possible. If it does happen, though, I will be there!

one problem with wrigley is that they are trying to sell the stadium to the state of illinois on the cheap so they can get the state to pay for renovations. while a sale isn't a lock, or certainly not imminent, that could negate any of that probability due to familiarity. (i kinda liked that combination of words, hope it makes sense to everyone!)

one thing on drainage as well... being a baseball field, they would have all winter to make sure the place was ready. i don't think any kind of on field activities occur in winter there. unlike in buffalo 2 months ago, when they only had like a week to get the field ready after the bills last played on it.

Den great idea, outdoor all-star game!!!!!!!!!

I for one second this idea and think it should be brought to the attention of the league!

One Outdoor regular season game, and the all star game!!

Get it done kenny

1-800-hansons

you being serious about the great idea or are ya messin' with me? haha