• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Ericsson continues to impress

Rate this topic

He looked awesome paired with Rafalski last night, a perfect compliment in styles - Yes, they were playing a slightly less than average Blues team, but I think it still says something that he LED, yes, LED the team in shots with 5 and was a +1 - especially with limited minutes

I like his game so far. Hes not overly physical, but he's not goin to be pushed around.. I say the knock i have on him as of right now is the fact he cant seem to get the puck out of the zone quickly enough.. seems to dump around boards to no one but hell hes only been playing d for what 3-4 years... Itll all come around its only his first time up

He needs another year down in the ahl..

wish he would be more physical.. he's pretty much Franzen but with a taller frame and plays defence.

.. and a 100mph slapshot

.. and a 100mph slapshot

haha, yea people seem to forget that...

also, people don't seem to realize that he plays a VERY physical game, I think he's just playing it safe right now, because he doesn't want to be caught out of position with wild, open ice hits...

He shows exactly what he needs to show right now and that is solid play and promise. For the ice time he has been given and the little experience he has at this level, he has been great. He will only get better.

Not so much of a draft after-thought is he? (And scouts around the league just hang their heads and cry :crybaby: waiting for Hakan Andersson's new book, "Scouting: Why I win and you lose")

You can kind of tell that the coaches are making him meaner slowly. He's hitting people with that little extra Ummph more and more every game. Anyone else notice this? Boy if he develops into a great player with an attitude like Phaneuf (without the dirtyness) then that, ladies and gentlemen, is our future.

haha, yea people seem to forget that...

also, people don't seem to realize that he plays a VERY physical game, I think he's just playing it safe right now, because he doesn't want to be caught out of position with wild, open ice hits...

he's just keeping it simple....the speed at the NHL level is much faster than at the AHL level of course. He tends to throw his weight around a little more there. He will do the same in Detroit eventually.

he's just keeping it simple....the speed at the NHL level is much faster than at the AHL level of course. He tends to throw his weight around a little more there. He will do the same in Detroit eventually.

exactly... I strongly dispute him needing another year in the AHL - once everyone is healthy, he goes back to the AHL this year, but I think he deserves his shot full time next year (08-09), there is simply nothing else the AHL can offer him in development and he's just kicking his wheels down there.

He has proven he's NHL ready and will only develop the way he can, at the NHL level...

I think this kid has laced up his skates in an AHL locker room for the last time, except of course in a potential rehab start!

well... he's done his last full AHL season, but he will be back down for the rest of this year and playoffs... Holland's already said he's going back down once everyone's healthy and I think he'll probably even go back down as soon as Nick is back, as they will opt for Lebda until Chelios is back

Ericsson will likely be sent down after Lidstrom returns. He will finish the year in Grand Rapids, and will spend most of next year in Grand Rapids due to waiver situations. The Wings will attempt to retain Brad Stuart and Andreas Lilja, and depending on who they can keep, may trade or waive one of Lebda, Meech, or Quincey, all of whom cannot be sent down next year without clearing waivers.

Let him sit in the AHL next year, barring injuries. The Wings develop prospects slooooooowly. A good team player will accept that. He's available if we need him and he can hone the finer points of his game in the meantime.

This AHL business is tricky.

Yes, in one way it makes sense to let Ericsson play in Grand Rapids, getting a ton of ice time, to help his development. But the guy can't stay there forever. I feel that too much time in the minors will impede his progress. Getting to play in Detroit with Lidstrom, Chelios, Rafalski, etc might be better for him than logging big minutes in the minors.

Just my 2 cents.

As far as next year's roster (this years as well but this relates more to free agents) I would like to see the following starting pairs

Lids Ericsson

Ralf Kron

Stuart Cheli

I would let Lilja go, try to trade either Meech, Quincey, and/or Lebda (as long as it is 2 not 3 of them).

That is a damn fine Defense and you could move any of Ericsson, Kron, Stuart around and still have 3 nice pairs.

The wings will probably keep lids and Ralf together though.

Guest Crymson
You can kind of tell that the coaches are making him meaner slowly. He's hitting people with that little extra Ummph more and more every game. Anyone else notice this? Boy if he develops into a great player with an attitude like Phaneuf (without the dirtyness) then that, ladies and gentlemen, is our future.

He's considerably larger than Phaneuf.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I like his game so far. Hes not overly physical, but he's not goin to be pushed around.. I say the knock i have on him as of right now is the fact he cant seem to get the puck out of the zone quickly enough.. seems to dump around boards to no one but hell hes only been playing d for what 3-4 years... Itll all come around its only his first time up

I just hope his physical game starts to show up over time. Right now he reminds me of Max Kuznetsov in the physicality department.

I just don't want all that size to go to waste. I'm hoping he isn't just a hit to impede a guy type of player. If he would throw his weight around like Brad Stuart does, that'd be just peachy with me.

Ericsson will likely be sent down after Lidstrom returns. He will finish the year in Grand Rapids, and will spend most of next year in Grand Rapids due to waiver situations. The Wings will attempt to retain Brad Stuart and Andreas Lilja, and depending on who they can keep, may trade or waive one of Lebda, Meech, or Quincey, all of whom cannot be sent down next year without clearing waivers.

My thoughts:

Trade Quincey- he projects as a 3rd pairing d-man at best. Yes- he was stawart in the playoffs last season but he didn't show flashes of brilliance, he just played good clean hockey. This season hasn't shown the Wings brass much to show that he's trying to impress them. I say the Wings need to trade Quincey while his stock is still relatively high.

Keep Meech as the 6th man next season- if he doesn't keep improving his play and showing potential like he has lately trade him too. The Wings have tons and tons of defensive prospects- this isn't a Hudler situation. (The Wings can't afford to give up on Hudler- they have a very shallow pool of kids with Hudler's level of scoring talent.)

Trade Lebda- he's a fine 3rd pairing player but doesn't look to have untapped potential left. It appears that we've seen Lebda's future- a fast puck-mover with a dainty shot and no offensive upside. Sorry to say that- but it's true. But: I'd be playing him as a forward in practices and encouraging him to hit up all the optional practices and keep practicing at it there. He's so damn fast that, like Dandenault, he'd provide some useful speed up front and create goal scoring oppertunities by way of his speed alone.

Keep Ericsson this season. I know that's a bold statement, but let me explain. The Wings could really use Ericsson as a second unit power play winger. He's played that way on GR this year and he was a forward until his draft year. This tactic seems to work well for Boston with Chara. It would give us a big crease crashing, puck shoveling body on the second unit AND provide the Wings with a much-needed big body out there.

Edit:

I think it'd be worth checking Ericsson out as a forward in practice as well- if only for gits and shiggles. :)

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Guest Crymson

I'd replace Lilja with Ericsson or Kindl, likely the former. There's no reason to keep Lilja. Last night's retarded deflection past Hasek was just one of many ridiculous plays that he has made over and over again... and plays he has NEVER LEARNED FROM, because they perpetually occur.

Guest octopusdank

i like him, he seems like he'll turn out to be a solid Dman. the only thing i didnt like about him last night was a dangerous pass in the defensive zone across ice when a blue was right in the middle

My thoughts:

Trade Quincey- he projects as a 3rd pairing d-man at best. Yes- he was stawart in the playoffs last season but he didn't show flashes of brilliance, he just played good clean hockey. This season hasn't shown the Wings brass much to show that he's trying to impress them. I say the Wings need to trade Quincey while his stock is still relatively high.

Keep Meech as the 6th man next season- if he doesn't keep improving his play and showing potential like he has lately trade him too. The Wings have tons and tons of defensive prospects- this isn't a Hudler situation. (The Wings can't afford to give up on Hudler- they have a very shallow pool of kids with Hudler's level of scoring talent.)

Trade Lebda- he's a fine 3rd pairing player but doesn't look to have untapped potential left. It appears that we've seen Lebda's future- a fast puck-mover with a dainty shot and no offensive upside. Sorry to say that- but it's true. But: I'd be playing him as a forward in practices and encouraging him to hit up all the optional practices and keep practicing at it there. He's so damn fast that, like Dandenault, he'd provide some useful speed up front and create goal scoring oppertunities by way of his speed alone.

Keep Ericsson this season. I know that's a bold statement, but let me explain. The Wings could really use Ericsson as a second unit power play winger. He's played that way on GR this year and he was a forward until his draft year. This tactic seems to work well for Boston with Chara. It would give us a big crease crashing, puck shoveling body on the second unit AND provide the Wings with a much-needed big body out there.

Edit:

I think it'd be worth checking Ericsson out as a forward in practice as well- if only for gits and shiggles. :)

I agree almost completely except for your thoughts on Ericsson. I feel if anyone should be converted to a forward it should be Meech. Ken and Mick were talking about how his speed and skating ability are such great assets and I agree completely. Add to that the way he seems to have a nose for the goal and I think you could have a very solid secondary scorer who can play great two way hockey (he'd be better than Franzen thats for sure)

EDIT: Forgot to mention the bomb of a shot that Ericsson has.. yea, I want that shot back at the blue line where it belongs

Edited by DYags

I agree almost completely except for your thoughts on Ericsson. I feel if anyone should be converted to a forward it should be Meech. Ken and Mick were talking about how his speed and skating ability are such great assets and I agree completely. Add to that the way he seems to have a nose for the goal and I think you could have a very solid secondary scorer who can play great two way hockey (he'd be better than Franzen thats for sure)

Interesting... You do have a point there. I wonder how often d-men get converted to forwards or are considered for conversion...