• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Reminder: Posting Etiquette

Rate this topic

I agree that those words are overused. I've got a possible reason why the word *** is overused though. I'm a teacher in a middle school and this past year or so, we have noticed a tremendous increase in the word "***" in the hallways by students. Recently a student used the word in my class while referring to a book we were reading. I pulled her into the hallway and asked her to define the word "***". She told me that it means "stupid". I explained that it was inappropriate, blah blah blah. My point is, I think we may be seeing one of those times when the meaning of a word changes. For example, *** used to mean happy, then it switched to meaning homosexual, and now it appears to be changing again. I think the word "***" originally meant "cigarette" and so on.

Yeah, I see that happen with younger kids who come to the university now.

Sorry, I curse like its my job. At least now my posts won't be nearly as long.

heh.. you may also want to change the "From" line in your account. Somehow I don't think that "I'm from the streets, b****h!" is quite appropriate.

:P

I will definitly keep my potty mouth down. I do try not to, sometimes I get it pulled out of me. I love the site and respect the rules Matt. As long as I can still call people tools!

Also on the opposite side of the spectrum, if we could have less people getting all hughty toughty that would be great. Like don't say this word cause it is the same as using this word but I can call everyone this word. Get over yourselfs and relax a bit. I agree with Matt but other people that they say offensive things but someone says something offends them it is oh how dare you time!!! Just saying quit getting so uptight....

I agree that those words are overused. I've got a possible reason why the word *** is overused though. I'm a teacher in a middle school and this past year or so, we have noticed a tremendous increase in the word "***" in the hallways by students. Recently a student used the word in my class while referring to a book we were reading. I pulled her into the hallway and asked her to define the word "***". She told me that it means "stupid". I explained that it was inappropriate, blah blah blah. My point is, I think we may be seeing one of those times when the meaning of a word changes. For example, *** used to mean happy, then it switched to meaning homosexual, and now it appears to be changing again. I think the word "***" originally meant "cigarette" and so on.

I know what you mean by that, I've heard plenty of classmates when I was in HS use "***" in that form. I know the British usually use the term "***" for "cigarette", as my mother has a British fiancee. "*****" used to mean "strange", but like "***", it became synonymous with homosexuality. Who knows what ***'s original mean is, before being known as "happy". Maybe it will come full circle and the words revert back to their original meaning, which may mean another word gets perverted into meaning "homosexual". I can say, reading stories from authors like Edgar Allen Poe is interesting with todays lexicon, as "***" comes up in it's original context.

Now, back to the topic at hand...

As I said before, I'm not an angel when it comes to my language. I certainly curse a bit, but that's only if I'm agitatedly from something, angry, or confused (resulting in a "WTF" from me, just more, well, unambiguous ;) ). I doubt this will affect many people on here, as they don't go off on a Tourette's-style spree (unless it involves the Wings getting screwed on a bad call or Pronger/Jackman/random goon). Frankly, I don't mind the cursing as much, as long it isn't half of someone's post or one rather long string (unless self-censored).

As I said before, I'll keep the mouth controlled :) I love this place too much to screw it all to Hell with my loose mouth :) .

Actually I've never sworn on here until just the other day in the thread you started regarding the GWG off the netting. I noticed your F-bomb and thought, oh it must be ok to occasionally emphaize your point. So I followed suit.

Some of you guys here know me in person and I'm definitely no saint when it comes refraining from cursing, so I'm definitely not one to shy away from it. However, I do refrain here except for some occasional extreme circumstances (the Sharks goal off the protective netting being a big example here.)

You guys don't have to eliminate it entirely -- just show some restraint. You don't get bonus points here in stature by squeezing in as many F-bombs as you can in a post.

Also, I consider this post ample warning, too... People that continue to excessively abuse the privilege of completely uncensored posting on these forums will be made examples of.

Some of you guys here know me in person and I'm definitely no saint when it comes refraining from cursing, so I'm definitely not one to shy away from it. However, I do refrain here except for some occasional extreme circumstances (the Sharks goal off the protective netting being a big example here.)

You guys don't have to eliminate it entirely -- just show some restraint. You don't get bonus points here in stature by squeezing in as many F-bombs as you can in a post.

Also, I consider this post ample warning, too... People that continue to excessively abuse the privilege of completely uncensored posting on these forums will be made examples of.

I didn't mean to offend you if I did, I was really just making a light of the situation, I understand and get the point. :)

Edited by Booster313

I have always believed, you make your point better when not swearing. Anyone can swear, thats easy. But we come across better to our fellow posters in disagreements, when we refrain from swearing. I will get off my high horse now.

I didn't mean to offend you if I did, I was really just making a light of the situation, I understand and get the point. :)

Oh no, no... You didn't. I just wanted to expand on my point earlier.

Good post Matt :thumbup:

I hardly ever post in the GD anymore, but I read it still and I've been noticing the usage of the F-bombs and such go up. I don't mind occasional swearing (I mean, hey, I swear too) but reading it constantly in every post is getting annoying.

I agree with the usage of "***" etc too. I'm guilty of that myself sometimes, even though I try not to do it. I'll keep in mind not to use those terms in that way.

You don't get bonus points here in stature by squeezing in as many F-bombs as you can in a post.

Is that a challenge? :P

I throw my share of swears, but always with passion or emphasis to make a point. My fingers don't have the same filter as my mouth and it shows when the Wings get screwed with a bad call or we get scored on in a big "please don't let them score" moment.

Thank you! I'm no prude and have been known to drop an F bomb on occasion, but I rarely come here because of all the cursing and the seemingly unlimited number of young adolescents posting.

Like someone said earlier, you get your point across better if you don't curse. To me, if you have to resort to multiple instances of it, that shows you don't have the ability or vobaculary to make your point otherwise.

Okay what the %$#@ is up with this &^%$#@ thread? I cannot even believe this load of %&$#!! That's it ! I'm %$#@&^%$ quitting this piece of &*%$# web site! :hehe:

All joking aside, I think Matt and all the moderators do a FANTASTIC job on the web site, and as soon as I am not broke, I WILL be dontating to the site to keep it going! I think the majority of every one that posts here either has something good or at least entertaining to say. It is awesome to be a Wings (and hockey fan in general) and have a site like this to post on!

In other words, "I love you guys!" :crybaby:

PS- If I was in favor of profanity and such, my signature would be much more HARSH than it is! :ph34r:

Wanna hear something hilarious? People in Minnesota call F-Bombs "F-Enheimer's". God, I hated the one year I lived in that state.

BTW, they also play "Duck, Duck, Gray Duck" instead of "Duck, Duck, Goose" and they call a "Casserole" a "Hot Dish". :lol: Seriously, what the hell is that?

In real life, I work in a factory. As such, I have heard quite a bit of swearing and I'm used to it. Heck, where I work "F*** you" is considered to be a witty comeback. Seriously. People will say "good one!" and mean it.

I am the sort of person that will swear at work, depending on who is there and what the situation is, but when I write something, I try to use a better vocabulary. I consider it a challenge. It's too easy to use the F word, or some form thereof, as every part of speech except a preposition. Really, it doesn't add much. If something is really big, is that any different than F***ing big? Why not find a word to better express the enormity? Like, say, enormous.

I'm not offended by swearing, but most of the time is seems like default vocabulary.

I'm glad you're cleaning it up, Matt. I wander over to another site on occasion because they have good pics. It's scary what an unmoderated site can become. Every other post is name-calling and is now getting to the point where the admin is threatening to get the cops involved because people are actually threatening each other. And this is supposed to be a friendly place for girls to chat about which hockey player is the cutest.

I love this place, and I'm glad you and the mods do what it takes to keep it clean rather than have it fall into a cesspool and then try to clean it up when it's too late.

Good post Matt :thumbup:

I hardly ever post in the GD anymore, but I read it still and I've been noticing the usage of the F-bombs and such go up. I don't mind occasional swearing (I mean, hey, I swear too) but reading it constantly in every post is getting annoying.

I agree with the usage of "***" etc too. I'm guilty of that myself sometimes, even though I try not to do it. I'll keep in mind not to use those terms in that way.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I find I swear much more online than I do in "real life" (which isnt hard seeing as I rarely do haha). I dont mind reading it but it does seem to be getting a little out of hand. What concerns me a little bit more though, is the amount or personal attacks on people. I have seen several times when someone posts something and gets called a d-bag, or a c**k sucker......I dont think that is called for at all. So thank you Matt for bringing this to the forefront :thumbup:

I am also slightly guilty here. I don't use them when I;m not angry but in the heat of the moment I get carried away. I think this was a good reminder to post for us that have gotten carried away with the no filter (myself included). Keep up the good work Matt.

Time to return to insults such as 'cotton-headed ninny-muggins' and the like...

F*** you Matt! JUST KIDDING!

I've been around here a long time and I love it here. I don't mind the swearing when we just got a bad penalty called on us, or lost a game because the ref didn't see the puck hit the netting first (cotton headed ninny muggins...), but yes just throwing those words around is annoying.

Thanks for not turning on the F'n filter yet!

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I find I swear much more online than I do in "real life" (which isnt hard seeing as I rarely do haha). I dont mind reading it but it does seem to be getting a little out of hand. What concerns me a little bit more though, is the amount or personal attacks on people. I have seen several times when someone posts something and gets called a d-bag, or a c**k sucker......I dont think that is called for at all. So thank you Matt for bringing this to the forefront :thumbup:

Totally agree lizzie , it's not even the swearing that's that bad. if used in the right context to get the point across it's acceptable . but it's the pointless random use of swear word's and personal attack's on people that are getting out of hand . some people need to chill out and let things slide instead of acting like an idiot.

Totally agree lizzie , it's not even the swearing that's that bad. if used in the right context to get the point across it's acceptable . but it's the pointless random use of swear word's and personal attack's on people that are getting out of hand . some people need to chill out and let things slide instead of acting like an idiot.

thank you ross. I am glad I am not the only one that feels that way. :)