• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

The D dilema

Rate this topic

With the addition of Brad Stuart and the promise shown by Meech and Ericsson, Detroit are going to

find themselves with a big problem come the start of next season. Just who do they sign and will they

let anyone go. Stuart may very well play himself into a contract offer by the Wings but would he stay.

Lids, Raffi, Kronna, Lebs and Meech are all signed until the 09-10 season.

Stuart, Cheli and Lily are all UFA's at the end of this year.

Ericsson and Quincey are both RFA's at the season's end.

I would say that only Lids Raffi and Kronna are locks for next season at present.

Cheli will probably sign another 1 year rolling contract, but I think he may be more

of a mentor next year. So with 3 spots left who gets the jobs? Do we trade away

any of them? Who looks more likely to hit the road, if Stuart signs, I would think

that Lilja would make way but would Lebda fetch more back in a trade than Lily?

It looks like Ericsson has overtaking Quincey in the pecking order on the rookie

front, and may well challenge Meech for the 7th D spot next year. Let us not

forget Kindl either. Although he is having a bad 1st year in GR, he is the most

skilled of all our blue line rookies. I think he will be staying in GR next year but he

may well be pushing the others for a spot. Whatever happens, the D this summer is

going to be a closly watched topic. Now if we can just add some more up front......

i say we trade Lebda and let Lilja go...

give us a top 6 of..

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Chelios - Meech / Ericsson

i don't honestly think Quincy's ever going to make it... he just hasn't improved enough..

Kindl is still a couple of seasons away

Edited by Cicada

With the addition of Brad Stuart and the promise shown by Meech and Ericsson, Detroit are going to

find themselves with a big problem come the start of next season. Just who do they sign and will they

let anyone go. Stuart may very well play himself into a contract offer by the Wings but would he stay.

I would say that only Lids Raffi and Kronna are locks for next season at present.

Cheli will probably sign another 1 year rolling contract, but I think he may be more

any of them? Who looks more likely to hit the road, if Stuart signs, I would think

It looks like Ericsson has overtaking Quincey in the pecking order on the rookie

skilled of all our blue line rookies. I think he will be staying in GR next year but he

may well be pushing the others for a spot. Whatever happens, the D this summer is

going to be a closly watched topic. Now if we can just add some more up front......

My best case:

I have thought about this very problem. If it were me, sign Stuart for 2.5-3mil, sign Lilja for 1.1mil, trade Lebda for a 3rd if possible, keep Meech and Quincy. Send Ericsson to GR for another year. Bring back Chelios. Go with 8 D and 13 forwards

Lidstrom Rafalski

Kronwall Stuart

Chelios Lilja

Meech

Quincey

Bottom line: Let Lilja walk if wants more than 1.5mil or so. Try hard to get Stuart. Trade Lebda because we have to move someone and he has the most trade value b/c he has the most experience. Let Ericsson stay in GR b/c he can. Keep Meech because he looks good and Quincey because we can't send him to GR.

Lidstrom, Kronwall and Rafalski stay.

then Stuart if he want's to stay.

Lilja: if he has as good playoffs as last time - he definitely stays. I loved him against Flames and *ucks

Lebda: if he has playoffs as good as this regular season and wipes out the bad memory of playoffs 2007 (he was miserable) - he definitely stays. he's signed for small money and bring solid defense and excellent speed. he's keeper unless he screws playoffs miserably

Chelli: with all sympathy to the old man but it's time to lace'm. Wings need roster spots for youth. as much as I'd love Chelli to have yet another season, Holland can not afford to block the development of his prospects. period

Quincey: I liked him last playoffs. never seemed off-place and was responsible in his end. he's not flashy but gets the job done. it'd be good to have him in AHL to call him up when necessary

Meech: dunno. seems fine but I need to watch more of him

Ericsson: keep him as 7th defenseman to let him develop in AHL but also taste the big man league. he looks promising

Edited by akustyk

Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall will be the top three.

The Wings will attempt to sign all three of Lilja, Stuart, and Chelios as the #4-6.

If all three can be resigned, Lebda will be traded. If not, he'll stick around somewhere between #6 and #8.

Meech and Quincey will round out the defense.

The Wings will carry 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies. At least they will to begin the season.

Lebda adds wheels & rushes the net......he's a wrench in the gears, as the opponents already know our system....

Lilja is a blocker, reckless with the puck....Chelios is a warrior, if we win the cup, I can see him retiring....I believe the playoffs will tell their fate! The young ones will wait their turn.

Chelli: with all sympathy to the old man but it's time to lace'm. Wings need roster spots for youth. as much as I'd love Chelli to have yet another season, Holland can not afford to block the development of his prospects. period

Having Chelios is like having an assistant coach on the ice. There is a reason why our young defencemen have always been paired with him - and they always go to great lengths to praise Chelli for how much he helped them in their early days.

With Meech/Quincey/Ericson/Kindl around, I would love to see Cheli hang around for another couple of seasons to help bring them along.

Stuart will want to go back to California and I doubt we will be able to afford him.

Lilja might be allowed to walk, I think he wants more than Kenny is willing to pay ie more than he is worth!

not that i'm saying he will but the wings might let Ericsson play another season in g.r. because they can. They really have no choice with Meech and Quincey because they have to past throught waviers. They would proable lost one if not both.

To me the only sure things are Lidstrom, Kronwall, and Rafalski. And I think Chelios will play here until he retires. So those four are locked into the lineup. I think that Meech is a keeper, and Ericsson will be great and ready next year so there are #5 and #6. Lilja in my idea is a good keeper if he will sign for the right price. I highly doubt Stuart will be back next year, and also think the Wings don't need to keep him. Lebda is expendable. He is Mathieu Dandenault. Somebody I like (I loved Dandy though and have his jersey), but they are not guys you build a team around, if they arent needed you can let them go. And for Quincey, I am mixed on him. I don't see him becoming a star, and at best a #4 D-man, maybe even just a 3rd pair guy. I would like to keep him around to be proven wrong, but think that Ericsson, Meech and Kindl will all be better. Also don't forget about Smith down the road as well.

Well, if we're planning on having Stuart back, then it prolly comes down to the playoffs a la Manny - dont produce and ur a goner (Shane - COME BACK!).

Pylon is a waste of oxygen. Brings nuttin to the table other than a big body with questionable motor skills (and even less hockey skills). Lebda is our fastest skater and a joy to watch going end to end with the puck (yeah, I know - not necessiarly what you want from a Dman but hey, take what you've got). He's got a sniper shot and would flourish if used on the PP point instead of Sammy.

The team currently consists of extreme talent, some potential, and blatant medocrity. At some point, the coach needs to take responsability (but plz, dont tell the Sens that OK?).

Having Chelios is like having an assistant coach on the ice. There is a reason why our young defencemen have always been paired with him - and they always go to great lengths to praise Chelli for how much he helped them in their early days.

yeah, I know it but I'm also aware there are some prospects that need ice time in the NHL

to develop further. be it to grow into good trade asset or to help the Wings.

and the question with Chelli is whether he can be signed to not play on regular basis

in the lineup. if I was Holland I'd never ever though of asking Chelli to be with partially

with Wings and partially with Griffs because it's just below some moral standards to

ask this guy if he would make room for other players and get demoted (literally) to

AHL. if he'd be fine with being healthy scratch then sure, sign him. he's worth much

more to this team than his salary will be. but he doesn't have to agree on that and

has right to do so

in the end I guess it's a question of Wings staff evaluation: whether it's worth to have

Lebda, Meech and Quincey continue under Chelli's wings or better put some new blood

on the ice. my impression is: depending on playoffs performance - keep 1 or 2 of the

above and trade the rest (or keep in AHL and trade at trade deadline) then make

room for Ericsson/Stafford. they deserve it

Edited by akustyk

Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall will be the top three.

The Wings will attempt to sign all three of Lilja, Stuart, and Chelios as the #4-6.

If all three can be resigned, Lebda will be traded. If not, he'll stick around somewhere between #6 and #8.

Meech and Quincey will round out the defense.

The Wings will carry 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies. At least they will to begin the season.

This is likely the case. Hopefully Quincey and Meech either improve enough to make them worth while or get traded while their stock isn't bottomed out.

What if they convert Lebda to an offensive position and see what he can do as a wing? a defensive forward with a little scoring touch for the 4th line maybe? Maybe not.

Yeah. Maybe not. I understand where you're coming from though. With the logjam of talent we have right now, it's difficult to say what we're going to do. But I don't think having Lebda switch around is the answer.

Guest Crymson
All i know is that i wont be happy with watever happens.

we'll still have a slouch like Lebda.

we'll still be weak physicaly.

Gosh, you're sour. Do you even cheer for this team?

Edited by Crymson