• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pidge

Are the Wings going to get a new arena?

Rate this topic

I think they should build a new arena. Fu**it I work in detroit and my taxes would go up but, who cares. I'm already paying the Kwamie kills a hooker defense tax right now why not suppourt a sports team which ends up being nothing but good for the city. Put it by all the businesses in the Fox Theather area to help increase revenue again. The only problem will be when playoffs hit and we have Tigers and Wings playing at the same time in the area.

As for letting the people who live in Detroit vote on it screw that. Let the county vote on it. I'm sick of watching the morons in Detroit screw up every election. Anyways chances are they'll freaking increase the alcohol tax again in wayne county to pay for it just like the new Cobo expansion.

Edited to cut the swearing out. :)

I dont think you'll have to worry about the Tigers for a few years.....:)

As much as I want to see the Joe torn down, all the signs point to it being the Wings' home for a couple more years.

First of all, Illich is a penny pincher. He's always been a penny pincher, from his ridiculous ticket prices (especially for this economy) to his cheap as hell Little Caesar's commercials. If building an unnecessary arena can be avoided, then why do it? Secondly, I would imagine that if he were going to make a new arena, he would've announced it by now, so people can start planning for utilizing the space for Cobo, which will surely require a lot of time and planning to execute. Thirdly, since the rumors began that the Wings might be getting a new arena, Illich seems to be doing what he can to make the Joe a quality place. He put in that vip suite, added a stand up section, put in a commemorative Gordie Howe statue, with two more statues planned to be unveiled later this month. We have the Gordie Howe entrance, instead of "the entrance by the stairs". Its like he's trying to make the Joe look as good as possible so people aren't as discouraged when he announces that he has decided to renew the lease.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Good points. What you say here makes sense. I agree, The Joe will probably be the Wings home for some time to come. I remain indifferent on the whole topic though because I cant afford to go to Wings games anyway :P

new staduim? the city of detroit HAS potential to be a great city. it is empty now. buildings are abandoned all over the place. there are spots that you can see redone, but around the corner....yikes. the economy is only part of the problem. they put that ford field downtown because the LIONS sell out every game...THE LIONS! the wings should be selling out every seat as well...what will they do with the joe after the wings leave...wonder if it will be like tiger stadium...did they rip that down yet...or is it still growing weeds. the problem is not the stadium, but the city...it is abandoned and depressed. Sorry detroit, i understand some people feel proud of the city (my mother especially). watch them build a new stadium in ann arbor.

Ok, I know this might sound like blasphemy to many of you, but with all the talk about how s***ty Detroit is, and how the tax payers wouldn't be able to afford to build a new arena, what about the idea of moving the Red Wings to the suburbs, like the Pistons? Most of the fans that go to games come from the suburbs anyways, and I'm sure it would help us sell out the arena on a nightly basis again. Many people want nothing to do with the downtown area. I know I'd like to go to a game without getting hassled for money 3x during the span of a 1/4 mile walk. Just an idea I wanted to throw out there to see what the Red Wing's faithful thought.

Ok, I know this might sound like blasphemy to many of you, but with all the talk about how s***ty Detroit is, and how the tax payers wouldn't be able to afford to build a new arena, what about the idea of moving the Red Wings to the suburbs, like the Pistons? Most of the fans that go to games come from the suburbs anyways, and I'm sure it would help us sell out the arena on a nightly basis again. Many people want nothing to do with the downtown area. I know I'd like to go to a game without getting hassled for money 3x during the span of a 1/4 mile walk. Just an idea I wanted to throw out there to see what the Red Wing's faithful thought.

it's not a bad idea but at the same time, there's soomething about heading into the city to watch a game that's part of the enjoyment.

Sure, I mean, Detroit is in bad enough shape as it is. Why not get rid of something that brings in millions of dollars to the city's economy?

Ilitch has invested far too much time and money into Detroit to move to the burbs. He might threaten to do so to get the city to help foot the bill, but I can't see it actually happening.

yup, blasphemy.

Ughhh, i do NOT want a new arena. Especially not in the suburbs! To me, there's just something about going downtown that makes the game that much more exciting. And like BlakChamber said, the games bring a lot of money into the downtown area. They definitely don't want to give that up, especially now. I'll take my grungy JLA over some newfangled corporate arena ANY day...but that's just me.

I have this dream that they'd call it Olympia. Would be nice, but it'll never happen.

Too bad Olympia Sports isn't a big enough commercial name, because that would work perfectly!!!

Terry Foster on 97.1 The Ticket said a few minutes that there was something in the works for a new arena next year sometime. I was half listening so maybe someone can call into them and ask him about it.