• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BeeRYCE

Top 5 Favourite Players of All Time?

Rate this topic

Really? Shanny fits that mold to a T.

I disagree.

Neely was a different player. Sure they both have that mean edge with the ability to fight and score goals at top notch, but Neely was more skilled with the puck. Neely could stick handle through a rain storm and not get wet, while Shanahan is more of a pure sniper, and is more stationary. Neely had a better set of wheels as well.

I disagree.

Neely was a different player. Sure they both have that mean edge with the ability to fight and score goals at top notch, but Neely was more skilled with the puck. Neely could stick handle through a rain storm and not get wet, while Shanahan is more of a pure sniper, and is more stationary. Neely had a better set of wheels as well.

Shanny played against bigger, stronger, more skilled defenders than Neely.

Shanny will get some respect from opposing players for his grit, size, shot and willingness to back them all up with a good donnybrook. Neely made the rain clouds straight up confused. If they rained on him, he'd skate between the drops, if they dropped some thunder, he'd plow on through to the goal... and if, heaven forbid, they pissed him off, he'd drop the gloves, kick some cumulus ass and rattle one off the top bar the next chance he got...then he'd break a hip the next shift :\

Edited by Uncle Danny

Shanny played against bigger, stronger, more skilled defenders than Neely.

Dude, that's BS. Neely didn't play in the freaking 50's. This argument always drives me nuts. He also played in the era of no instigator rule.

Five Wings...

1. Yzerman

2. Lidstrom

3. Konstantinov

4. Probert

5. Shanahan

And five non-Wings

1. Iginla

2. Lecavalier

3. Luongo

4. Brodeur

5. Phaneuf

Wow you must be really young. I mean come on, i am only 20 years old but at least i know the history of the Red Wings and can appreciate what Howe and Delvechio had done.

Opps, I put the 5 best players, not favorite. I can't pick just 5 Wings. I love them all the same, Stevie is the exception. He's #1 and then comes the rest of the Red Wings.

Dude, that's BS. Neely didn't play in the freaking 50's. This argument always drives me nuts. He also played in the era of no instigator rule.

It's bs, it holds water. 86-94 were Neely's best years. He played against bigger, slower players than Shanny did. All I'm trying to point out is that had Shanny been in his prime during that era he would have been the mirror image of Neely. That's all.

Defense actually evolved into the way it is now probably mid to late 80's... I don't think Neely against weaker defensemen is a valid argument to be honest.

Guest jaytan

Hmmm...

My favorite player ever is Bob Probert. If I have to mention four more guys, I'll say Steve Yzerman, Sean Avery, Derian Hatcher and Brendan Shanahan. Also, Chris Chelios (who I'd never have expected to list so highly back when he was a Blackhawk. Even Brett Hull, because he always makes me laugh.

Edit: I forgot to give my love to Dino Ciccarelli, Darren McCartey and Joey Freaking Kocur.

Really, it should be top 10. Five is so limiting. :D

Edited by jaytan

Defense actually evolved into the way it is now probably mid to late 80's... I don't think Neely against weaker defensemen is a valid argument to be honest.

I never said weaker. Your words, not mine. I said bigger and slower. Also that the dmen Shanny faced were more skilled. These are all true.

I never said weaker. Your words, not mine. I said bigger and slower. Also that the dmen Shanny faced were more skilled. These are all true.

Bigger and slower would kind of go hand in hand.

Didn't Lindros come along and do the same thing Neely did, except better?

I think Neely fought better, hit harder, played with more grit... That's just me. Lindros was more skilled though.

#1 Steve Yzerman

#2 Gordie Howe

#3 Bobby Orr

#4 Mario Lemieux

#5 Sergei Fedorov

I've only seen Howe and Orr on the way overpriced tapes/DVDs I've managed to get over the years, and damn did I miss out on some good hockey!

I think Neely fought better, hit harder, played with more grit... That's just me. Lindros was more skilled though.

When I say this, I mean pound for pound.

Wow you must be really young. I mean come on, i am only 20 years old but at least i know the history of the Red Wings and can appreciate what Howe and Delvechio had done.

How can someone be your favorite player if you've never seen them play? Trust me, I have all the respect in the world for the Production Line and all the great players that have come through the city of Detroit, but I can't say that they're my favorite players of all time without actually watching them. This isn't the five best Red Wings of all time. I grew up watching guys like Stevie, Vladdy, Nick, and Shanny.