• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Original Six match-up?

Rate this topic

Today I spent some time on NHL.com today looking at Stanley Cup history. I hadn't realized that there hasn't been an original six match-up in the finals since 1979. Montreal over the NY Rangers. I got to thinking that there is a very possible original six match-up this year.

I whole heartedly believe in this Redwing team this year. I believe there is not a team in the league that can beat the Wings in a series. So I believe that there is a very good chance the Redwings could play Montreal for the cup this year. I know New Jersey, Carolina, and Pittsburgh are playing well right now, but I think I would prefer to get some type of rivalry back with an original six team. I think Montreal has the best shot.

I also think that if there is a good amount of hype with a match-up like that, it would definetly be good for the game. I mean even people who do not follow hockey, know who the Redwings and Canadians are. Could you imagine if it were teams like the Thrashers and the Coyotes? The average guy isn't going to know that those are even hockey teams, unless they lived in Atlanta or Phoenix.

I just believe the right match-up could really expose the game of hockey to others.

Thoughts?

As of tonight they have won 4 straight.

They are an awful team.

They will be by far the worst team to qualify for the playoffs this year.

Edited by Doggy

Not unless the Flyers, Islanders, or Sabres still qualify.

Flyers are much better than the Canes.

Sabres are a little better.

The Isles won't make it.

Just so you know, I probably am a little biased. I just can't respect a team that has no D. No team has ever won a Cup without solid defense and theirs is probably the worst in the league.

Flyers are much better than the Canes.

Sabres are a little better.

The Isles won't make it.

Just so you know, I probably am a little biased. I just can't respect a team that has no D. No team has ever won a Cup without solid defense and theirs is probably the worst in the league.

Los Angeles has the worst group of defensemen. Brad Stuart was probably the best defensive defenseman LA had...now it's probably rookie Jack Johnson.

Gary Bettman would think Florida Panthers vs Nashville Predators to be what everyone wants to see and would get high ratings.

An O6 final would be better for the game. So many people grew up around the Chicago, New York, Boston, Detroit areas and have rooted for those teams over the years.

All teams being equal over time, the odds of getting an all original 6 cup final in a given year is 28-1, so don't hold your breath. On the other hand, if its been 1979 since there has been an O6 final, that makes it 29 years. I guess were officially overdue.

An O6 matchup would be good for the game just because each of those teams have an established fanbase. I don't know how much it would do to attract new fans though. Bettman's wildest dreams would be a Detroit/New York finals, ratings galore in the US.

All teams being equal over time, the odds of getting an all original 6 cup final in a given year is 28-1, so don't hold your breath. On the other hand, if its been 1979 since there has been an O6 final, that makes it 29 years. I guess were officially overdue.

i think the odds depend on how many O6 teams make it into the playoffs

Los Angeles has the worst group of defensemen. Brad Stuart was probably the best defensive defenseman LA had...now it's probably rookie Jack Johnson.

Far be it from me to underestimate your knowledge of the stats Eva because I realise the Kings have given up more. But at least have some idea of what you're talking about. Name a Hurricane blueliner that is better than Blake, Visnovski, Johnson and Preissing. Corvo is the only one who could be argued. So how is Carolina's group better?

L.A.'s problem is goaltending not so much D.

No one or no thing is ever due. Just ask the Leafs, Cubs or Lions.

Personally I would like the league if possible create an original 6 division with Detroit, Chicago NY Rangers, Boston, Montreal, and Toronto. The problem of course is that Detroit and Chicago are in the Western Conference.

Far be it from me to underestimate your knowledge of the stats Eva because I realise the Kings have given up more. But at least have some idea of what you're talking about. Name a Hurricane blueliner that is better than Blake, Visnovski, Johnson and Preissing. Corvo is the only one who could be argued. So how is Carolina's group better?

L.A.'s problem is goaltending not so much D.

I would take Corvo, Hedican, Gleason and Kaberle over any Kings defenseman but Visnovsky if we're factoring in only their current skill level. Granted, the Kings have a guy like Johnson, who is a top notch prospect and is developing quickly. But right now, today, he doesn't crack Carolina's top four. Neither would Blake or Preissing. The big difference? All four of Carolina's top four D are better defensively than anyone LA has dressed this season.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think it would be cool for the league to make a sort of original 6 tournament. It could be during the regular season. Just arrange the regular season schedule to have the original 6 play during a certain part of the year (maybe like November/early December). The rest would be pure advertising. Print up several thousand posters to match up with the scheduled season, and fill in the blanks of the winners and losers to see who comes out on top that year among the original 6. It wouldn't mess with bettman's whole expansion style (forgetting the old and just expanding to new markets), and would give us real fans something extra to root for (or at least keep track of and argue about :ranting: ) during the regular season.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I would take Corvo, Hedican, Gleason and Kaberle over any Kings defenseman but Visnovsky if we're factoring in only their current skill level. Granted, the Kings have a guy like Johnson, who is a top notch prospect and is developing quickly. But right now, today, he doesn't crack Carolina's top four. Neither would Blake or Preissing. The big difference? All four of Carolina's top four D are better defensively than anyone LA has dressed this season.

I don't think I've ever agreed with any opinion you've ever had. Now after reading this absurd post, I'm very glad.

I've been watching the Habs closely this year, hoping they could get their team in order enough to make at least a decent run at the playoffs. Who knew Kovalev was going to be very much the leader and stay interested much of the season?

I think it's cool to Montreal back where they belong, among the NHL's elite. At least for now.

A Habs/WIngs final would be cool in so many ways. Original Six. 2 truly storied franchises.

Here's hoping the Habs keep it up ...