• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Wings/Rangers in Yankee Stadium?

Rate this topic

I know there was a recent thread about this being at Wrigley, but it looks like Yankee Stadium is the front runner. Might as well go out in style on New Years Day with some monster ratings.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008...er-classic.html

Update 3-10-08 Check this link, the Islanders think they are in the mix

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7896146?MSNHPHMA

Edited by miller76

I dont care where its played, but why does it need to be played on New Years Day?

why not new years day? seems like a good time to me, everyone's off from work, hungover and laying around, what better to do than watch a little outdoor hockey ... plus it seems like a good way to end the christmas holiday/winter break for many people ...

I want to hear Yankee fans opinions on Baseball not being the last event at their stadium

Edited by Jwo

why not new years day? seems like a good time to me, everyone's off from work, hungover and laying around, what better to do than watch a little outdoor hockey ... plus it seems like a good way to end the christmas holiday/winter break for many people ...

I dont know, maybe watch some bowl games?

When it comes down to it they're trying to attract a more mainstream audience with that game who wouldn't normally watch hockey in the hopes of broadening the game... As great as Detroit and Toronto would be an original six matchup means nothing to most people in the US.....

As much as I can't stand it when you put a New York team on tv people watch it since it's a New York team, so having the game in Yankee Stadium will probably be great for ratings.. I just keep hoping that one day Bettman and the heads of the NHL will realize they need to do something to make the traditional NHL audience happy, and this game would certainly do that.....

I'm for a double header at the Big House. Michigan / Michigan State and Detroit / Toronto.

Now that, to me, would be a kickass reason to drive to Ann Arbor.

I'm for a double header at the Big House. Michigan / Michigan State and Detroit / Toronto.

That would be a kickass reason for me to drive to Ann Arbor also...

However, my drive would be much shorter.

I think that would be great but, make it a 2 day series Saturday MSU/Michigan game and a sunday Detroit Toronto matchup. With the delays that are often associated with outdoor games the Doubleheader in one day seems like it could lead to a long delay before the second game.

Eaither way I would love to see it happen. I'm sure a deal with the University could be made to make it profitable for both Michigan and the Red Wings

I think that would be great but, make it a 2 day series Saturday MSU/Michigan game and a sunday Detroit Toronto matchup. With the delays that are often associated with outdoor games the Doubleheader in one day seems like it could lead to a long delay before the second game.

Eaither way I would love to see it happen. I'm sure a deal with the University could be made to make it profitable for both Michigan and the Red Wings

Do a nooner and a 6:00??? (Edit: Probably not would want to start the 2nd game by 4 huh?)

Maybe?

Edited by Opie

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/03/ar..._to_new_yo.html

Are the Wings headed to New York for an outdoor game?

Posted by George James Malik March 10, 2008 10:59AM

According to the New York Daily News's John Dellapina, it's entirely possible that the Detroit Red Wings will be heading to Yankee Stadium to play the New York Rangers in an outdoor game next season:

March 10, New York Daily News: The House that Ruth Built is on track to be the house the Rangers bring down. As the current Rangers continue to drive down the stretch of this season, what is shaping up as a historic 2008-09 schedule now is expected to include a game at Yankee Stadium.

Momentum has built in recent weeks toward finalizing a deal that would have the Rangers play the final game in the storied history of the current Stadium, the Daily News has learned. The Yankees, who will move into their new Yankee Stadium for the 2009 baseball season, are said to be completely on board with having the NHL close the 85-year-old original.

And, anxious to build upon the buzz created by the wildly successful Winter Classic outdoor game between Pittsburgh and Buffalo at Ralph Wilson Stadium on New Year's Day, NBC and the NHL are intent upon seizing this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. League and network representatives visited the Stadium recently to get an on-site view of what would need to be done to stage the event.

"It's something we've spoken both to the Yankees and to the city about," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The News. "But it's not a done deal. There are still other possibilities and a lot of moving pieces."

The Rangers' opponent for the game, while not yet set, appears unlikely to be either the Islanders or the Devils. That is because both the network and the league believe it would generate greater ratings to include a team from another U.S. television market. The Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings are believed to be likely candidates in a game that would be a nod to the NHL's fabled Original Six roots.

Of course, representatives from the league's other American-based Original Six franchise, the Chicago Blackhawks, recently made it clear that they are extremely interested in hosting an outdoor game. However, the chance to close Yankee Stadium clearly pushes New York and the Rangers to the front of NBC's and the NHL's wish lists for next winter

The funny thing is that Bettman has said multiple times that they have done nothing about a new winter classic, since the old one. He said there has been no studies to see if any stadium can hold a rink or has enough seats to make it worth while. Now, all these cities are being named as having the next one. I think all these reporters are asking about their city, and when the NHL gives their standard answer of we aren't ruling anyone out, the reporter writes a story that they are getting the Winter Classic.

IF this were to happen I don't want the Wings to be in it. Personally I would love to see the Wings in a winter classic but I would love to see it against the Hawks. I am a huge Rangers ran but they should play Boston or maybe Phili. Wait a year for the next one and have it Wings vs Hawks.

IF this were to happen I don't want the Wings to be in it. Personally I would love to see the Wings in a winter classic but I would love to see it against the Hawks. I am a huge Rangers ran but they should play Boston or maybe Phili. Wait a year for the next one and have it Wings vs Hawks.

The Rangers should be playing the Islanders in an outdoor game.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ill_be_pla.html

Chelios says Wings will be playing at Yankee Stadium next season

by Ansar Khan

Monday March 10, 2008, 2:32 PM

Wings defenseman Chris Chelios claims the Wings will be playing the Rangers in that rumored outdoor game at Yankee Stadium next season.

"I heard Detroit's playing,'' Chelios said after practice Monday. "Awesome, to be part of the last event at Yankee Stadium would be something special.''

There is no official word from the Wings or the NHL. The league is reportedly considering the Bruins as a possible opponent for the Rangers, if that game were to take place.

The game, if it materializes, could be on Jan. 1. That's when Pittsburgh played at Buffalo this year in the first outdoor NHL game in the U.S.

"Not an exact date,'' Chelios said. "I was talking to someone (who) mentioned that it might be a done deal already. I hope it is, anyway.''

Guest jaytan

It should be Detroit vs. Toronto, but I think I read somewhere that the Leafs wouldn't do that because they want it to be with another Canadian team for the CBC broadcast.

I also think Michigan stadium might be a little too big. The game in Buffalo looked like a lot of fun to attend, but how the hell could the fans at the very highest levels of seating follow what was going on? I imagine a lot of people were just looking at the Jumbotron the whole time.

Finally, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Boston.

I would love to see the Wings play in the Winter Classic! I honestly don't know why they insist on having it on New Years Day though. If the league is so concerned with getting new fans and increasing viewership they would be smart not to put the game on New Years Day because of college football. I honestly would have watched the entire game this year, but was watching college football instead. Now I know not everyone watches college football, but if the NHL is serious about reaching new fans they'd be a little more sensible in choosing what day to play on. That's just my opinion though.

Hawks and Wings would be great.

I would love to see the Wings play in the Winter Classic! I honestly don't know why they insist on having it on New Years Day though. If the league is so concerned with getting new fans and increasing viewership they would be smart not to put the game on New Years Day because of college football. I honestly would have watched the entire game this year, but was watching college football instead. Now I know not everyone watches college football, but if the NHL is serious about reaching new fans they'd be a little more sensible in choosing what day to play on. That's just my opinion though.

The Winter Classic had the highest TV ratings in like 10 years. Seems to me having it on New Year's Day was a stroke of genius. I watched the whole thing, didn't even turn the station to check the Michigan score, which I was somewhat interested in seeing. To me the Winter Classic was that captivating. Then again, hockey >>>>> American college football. Granted none of the American football games had any implication on the mythical national championship scenario, but having a built-in audience that was already home sure helped the ratings. Playing the Winter Classic some other random weekend and it might get lost in the shuffle.