• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwings.se

Larsson goalie of the year in Swedish Elite League

Rate this topic

Red Wings prospect Daniel Larsson has won "Honken Trophy" as the goalie of the year in the Swedish Elite League. He started 46 of 55 games for Djurgardens IF, and finished third overall with 92,1 SV%.

- A great honour, and a confirmation that I've had a good season, says Larsson, 22, to Aftonbladet.

"Honken Trophy" is named after the Swedish goalie legend, Leif "Honken" Holmqvist (a former Red Wing) who played 202 international games for Sweden. The Swedish hockey writers association name the winner through a vote.

Just for some context, previous winners of the award per Wikipedia

2007 - Erik Ersberg, HV71

2006 - Johan Holmqvist, Brynäs IF

2005 - Henrik Lundqvist, Frölunda HC

2004 - Henrik Lundqvist, Västra Frölunda HC

2003 - Henrik Lundqvist, Västra Frölunda HC

2002 - Stefan Liv, HV71

It's extremely doubtful that he'll play for the Wings next year but hopefully they'll get him signed anyway so that he doesn't runaway. If the guy builds on his success with another good year next year and some good international performances, well, happy days.

It's extremely doubtful that he'll play for the Wings next year but hopefully they'll get him signed anyway so that he doesn't runaway. If the guy builds on his success with another good year next year and some good international performances, well, happy days.

Well, it's gonna be interesting next year if Dom retires. I'd imagine that the Wings 1/2 will be Osgood/Howard, but it really leaves us nothing semi-reliable to call up in case of injury to one of those two or, god forbid, both. They're gonna have to either sign him and have him come over to play in GR next year or sign him, leave him in Sweden, and make a free agent pick up in the offseason. I'm of the opinion that they should sign Larsson and have him come over next year to get accustomed to the North American game.

Edited by al48

Let's hope he is the next Henrik....

I wouldn't at mind being one of those teams that disguards a very good goaltender because we already have one and being able to pick up a little extra. E.G. Sharks turfing Toskla

Howard and Larsson FTW!