• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
#19=Legend

Around The Horn

Rate this topic

I dont know how many of you watch Around The Horn on ESPN, because there is little to no hockey included. (I watch because I am also a general sports fan) But Tim Cowlishaw won today and said something along the lines of

"Look at how great the eastern cofrence NBA is, 8 gms separarte the teams. And look at how close the NHL Eastern conference is, 8 pts separate the teams. It would be great if things could work out in the NHL"

I was pretty suprised to hear "NHL" on Around the horn.

Then the host of the show, Forgot his name, put down the NHL and said, "You summed it up by saying , If things could ever work out in the NHL"

I think people not paying attention to hockey comes from sports analysists constantly saying something negative about it.

What do you guys think?

Edited by #19=Legend

How can the East in the NBA be seperated by 8 points if there are no points in the NBA standings? I'm confused by what Cowlishaw was trying to say.

LOL im sorry. He must have said games. And it might not even be 8. But that part really isnt the point of my post.

Why do you even bother watching espn? Their channel is nothing but filth.

Like I said. Im a general sports fan. I like getting updated on any news. Plus, what would you suggest as an alternative when nothing else is on at that time of day, and im at home?

Tim Cowlishaw loves hockey, just about every time he wins he ALWAYS talks about the NHL. I think what he meant by this was that the Western Conference of the NBA is only separated by a few wins(win percentage points) and he wishes that the NHL, whose Eastern conference is only separated by 8 points, got as much attention as does the close NBA race in the West.

I don't care what ESPN says anymore. I'm officially boycotting everything ESPN except the website. ESPN is obviously run by hockey haters, from the top down. This mindset is ingrained in all of its employees. It's obvious to me that Comlishaw is just throwing hockey fans a bone, but in my opinion it's not enough. I hope the NHL never goes back to ESPN. I've decided I'd rather hunt to try to find it on the web, NBC, Versus, Fox Sports regional networks or any other network besides the world-wide entertainment leader.

I dont know how many of you watch Around The Horn on ESPN, because there is little to no hockey included. (I watch because I am also a general sports fan) But Tim Cowlishaw won today and said something along the lines of

"Look at how great the eastern cofrence NBA is, 8 gms separarte the teams. And look at how close the NHL Eastern conference is, 8 pts separate the teams. It would be great if things could work out in the NHL"

I was pretty suprised to hear "NHL" on Around the horn.

Then the host of the show, Forgot his name, put down the NHL and said, "You summed it up by saying , If things could ever work out in the NHL"

I think people not paying attention to hockey comes from sports analysists constantly saying something negative about it.

What do you guys think?

Two things that should be obvious to everybody on here and we should all just get over...

(1) ESPN doesn't pay that much attention to hockey (this doesn't mean that they are the anti-TV network or Satan's second child despite what some warped opinions in here might want you to believe)

(2) Hockey will never, ever come close to popularity towards the general public compared to baseball, football, or basketball. At least not anytime soon. Sports analysts saying "negative" things about the sport won't have any further signifcant negative effect on this. I personally really don't care if it is not "popular" to the masses anymore. I like it, the sport isn't going away anytime soon, that's more that enough for me to be satisfied and happy.

I wish people could just accept these two things, quit complaining about the obvious, and just be happy they like the sport and just enjoy watching it.

Yeah I watch ATR everyday. Cowlishaw gets ragged all the time because he keeps talking about hockey. Basically he gets ragged on because he's the only sports writer on there that actually knows something other than Baseball, Basketball, or Football. PTI actually does talk about hockey from time to time, and they actually know their stuff pretty well. Wilbon and Kornheiser are much more respected sports writers though.

Like I've said before, Bettman kinda had a cold break from ESPN and I think it it pissed them off a little. That may be a big reason they've limited their coverage. But I think it would be cool for them to put NHL 2Nite back on at least once a week. It is still a major sport and they would gain back alot of viewers.

Edited by RedFX

(2) Hockey will never, ever come close to popularity towards the general public compared to baseball, football, or basketball. At least not anytime soon. Sports analysts saying "negative" things about the sport won't have any further signifcant negative effect on this. I personally really don't care if it is not "popular" to the masses anymore. I like it, the sport isn't going away anytime soon, that's more that enough for me to be satisfied and happy.

The nhl in the early 90's was projected as being the "upcoming sport", and was considered more popular than basketball, if i remember correctly, and the only reason why ESPN is giving nhl a bad wrap is because Bettman rejected ESPN's desire to have rights to nhl games. ESPN is loosing out on an "untapped" resource of fans and money, so they badmouth the nhl to try to keep ratings low on competitive television networks (ie versus). Although that is just my theory, but it makes sense to me

Yeah I watch ATR everyday. Cowlishaw gets ragged all the time because he keeps talking about hockey. Basically he gets ragged on because he's the only sports writer on there that actually knows something other than Baseball, Basketball, or Football. PTI actually does talk about hockey from time to time, and they actually know their stuff pretty well. Wilbon and Kornheiser are much more respected sports writers though.

Like I've said before, Bettman kinda had a cold break from ESPN and I think it it pissed them off a little. That may be a big reason they've limited their coverage. But I think it would be cool for them to put NHL 2Nite back on at least once a week. It is still a major sport and they would gain back alot of viewers.

They lost all credability when talking about the Wings when they were dominating and they called Hen-Rick, Henreek Zet-ta-bur <_<

i usually watch both,

but i can barely watch around the horn.

i can definitely stomach PTI and Wilbon has made it clear that he grew up watching hockey so at least they know what they're talking about.

around the horn?

mehhhhh i like Cowlishaw and i think Woody Paige is funny.

Mariotti or whatever?

tool.

I think ESPN is trying to sell shoes with neon colors and lights on them, and hockey doesn't have fans who buy that kind of crap.

Watching ESPN lowers your IQ by 10%.

The biggest reason why hockey may never be mainstream to Americans is because it wasn't an American made sport. If you look at the tops sports football, baseball, basketball, and even NASCAR are all American invented sports. Look at soccer, biggest sport in the world, but barely gets noticed here because it wasn't started by our country. Hockey was created in Canada, so Americans are going to reject it as a favorite. So, while I agree that ESPN does seem to do its best at bashing the NHL a fair share of the time, I don't believe they are the reason for holding it back. I also agree that Bettman hasn't done that great of a job overall as the commish, but at the same point I don't think any of us or for that matter most people could do a much better job to make this game as widely accepted as the other four.

Maybe if we had some way of telling the Canadians to play along and say that we have new evidence that the game was actually created here in America, we could see the game become more and more popular. What do you say are brothers and sisters to the north, would you go along with it to help promote this game farther than it ever has been? :D

i usually watch both,

but i can barely watch around the horn.

i can definitely stomach PTI and Wilbon has made it clear that he grew up watching hockey so at least they know what they're talking about.

around the horn?

mehhhhh i like Cowlishaw and i think Woody Paige is funny.

Mariotti or whatever?

tool.

Mariotti's daughter was in my Anatomy class senior year of high school.

That's all I've got.

Like I said. Im a general sports fan. I like getting updated on any news. Plus, what would you suggest as an alternative when nothing else is on at that time of day, and im at home?

Read a book.

Either that or get Direct TV with the NHL Network.

The biggest reason why hockey may never be mainstream to Americans is because it wasn't an American made sport. If you look at the tops sports football, baseball, basketball, and even NASCAR are all American invented sports. Look at soccer, biggest sport in the world, but barely gets noticed here because it wasn't started by our country. Hockey was created in Canada, so Americans are going to reject it as a favorite. So, while I agree that ESPN does seem to do its best at bashing the NHL a fair share of the time, I don't believe they are the reason for holding it back. I also agree that Bettman hasn't done that great of a job overall as the commish, but at the same point I don't think any of us or for that matter most people could do a much better job to make this game as widely accepted as the other four.

Maybe if we had some way of telling the Canadians to play along and say that we have new evidence that the game was actually created here in America, we could see the game become more and more popular. What do you say are brothers and sisters to the north, would you go along with it to help promote this game farther than it ever has been? :D

Really? That's what you think?

There is absolutely no way that the majority of people don't watch soccer or hockey because they weren't invented in the US. I can tell you that that had absolutely no bearing on why I didn't ever care about hockey growing up. I grew up in way south Texas. There was no ice skating rink. No street hockey. No TV coverage. Texas is all about football in the fall/winter, and baseball in the spring/summer. No exposure = i could care less.

I played soccer as a kid, all the way up until High School. I loved it. Soccer is really fun to play and participate in. On TV, not so much. The nature of soccer doesn't really lend itself to US audiences, since it's a low scoring, strategy based game. There's not a ton of shots, there aren't really many "highlight reel" moments. In a 90 minute game, you'll get maybe 2 or 3 goals, maybe 10-15 shots on goal. Not terribly exciting to an NBA fan used to 100 or so "goals" a game. To those who understand and love the game, it all makes sense, just like hockey does to those of us on this board.

It's really a question of exposure and personal opinion. For most people, hockey is great to watch every now and then, but if someone's not pushing them to watch it, it's not that big a deal. It has nothing, except probably in some extreme cases, to do with the sports not originating in the US.

James Naismith - a Canadian, invented basketball.

Just saying.

The hosts' name is Tony Reali.

The show is the biggest joke as well. Reali constantly takes shots at the NHL. Besides his prick-ish personality, others like Woody Paige, another moron, also take shots at the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN has told all these guys to limit NHL talk, with the possiblity to avoid any possible press it could get.

I'm sure for ESPN, if there's the potiential to make money and they are not involved, then they'll repress it any way possible.

Thoughts?

Edited by mmorland

Do you realize the NHL has been around longer than the NFL and NBA in the United States? Only sport beating it out historically is MLB which is as old as dirt (pun intended :rolleyes: )