• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

KronVall article

Rate this topic

I'm 100% the OP knows it's Kronwall, but it's sort of a joke around here because NHL.com refuses to change his name to Kronwall from Krovall :rolleyes:

But good read, I didn't know Maltby had such a man crush on Kronners :-p

Yeah, the OP clearly knew that...

Great article..

They also misspelled Lidstrom by putting Niklas Lidstrom rather than Nicklas..

I am kind of curious to this.. I have seen both cases of spelling several times..

On Detroit Red Wings sites it's Nicklas.. anywhere else it's usually Niklas. Does somebody know which it is? I'm almost positive it's Nicklas though. Just making sure.

Edited by cirov19

He is Niklas Kronwall. Not Kronvall as you and that NHL.com guy wrote.

:rolleyes: Wrong. Go look at any Swedish hockey website and you'll see Kronvall show up over and over. Same with Niklas Lidstrom.

It turns out that Swedes speek a differant language than we do and it sometimes results in different spellings than English does! Nicklas and Kronwall are the English varents of Niklas and Kronvall.

Regardless- I find it highly entertaining that people mock others for using the real spellings over the bastardized ones!

:rolleyes: Wrong. Go look at any Swedish hockey website and you'll see Kronvall show up over and over. Same with Niklas Lidstrom.

It turns out that Swedes speek a differant language than we do and it sometimes results in different spellings than English does! Nicklas and Kronwall are the English varents of Niklas and Kronvall.

Regardless- I find it highly entertaining that people mock others for using the real spellings over the bastardized ones!

Until recently the letter "W" was treated as a variant form of "V" at least for sorting purposes, and this practice is still commonly encountered. However, in 2005 the Swedish Academy separated the two letters in conformity with international lexicographic practice. They appear under separate headings in the 13th edition of Svenska Akademiens Ordlista, released on 10 April 2006. W has nonetheless been an official letter in the Swedish alphabet, but sorted as if it were a V. The loan word "webb" is a word which has become rather common in Swedish since 1995.

I was waiting for someone to come out and say it, but i didnt think it had to be put so harsh! lol

that's not really true

alternate spellings of names is very common in sweden as im sure it is in america too. example:

nicklas - niclas - niklas

mathias - mattias

michael - mikael

jonathan - jonatan

all of the above are very common names in sweden as is their spelling alternates so I wouldn't say there is a "swedish version" of the name :blush:

i can also add that the later spelling is more common than the first.

one more thing. I really think kronwall is the right spelling of his name

edit: to the guy who say swedes have no W in their alphabet.. wtf? :) we do!

Edited by hak

Kronwall is the correct spelling. Kronvall is the correct pronounciation.

Take a look at his JERSEY for the correct spelling. It's "Kronwall" on both his Detroit jersey and his Sweden jersey.

there is a reason for the V...Sweden has no W sound in the alphabet, so all W's are a V sound.

so they say Sweden Sveden (or Sverige)

Not really. We're perfectly capable of pronouncing the English W.

W was used a lot more earlier in history, hence the W in Kronwall and many other names.

Edited by Systemfel

Not really. We're perfectly capable of pronouncing the English W.

W was used a lot more earlier in history, hence the W in Kronwall and many other names.

But still there is no sounding in our language that is similar to the english pronouciation of the w. I think that was the point of the previous post.

But still there is no sounding in our language that is similar to the english pronouciation of the w. I think that was the point of the previous post.

it was...im not swedish expert, it was just from what I know. thanks for the new knowledge :)

Kronwall is the correct spelling. Kronvall is the correct pronounciation.

Take a look at his JERSEY for the correct spelling. It's "Kronwall" on both his Detroit jersey and his Sweden jersey.

True enough- that is what his jersey says. But Kronvall is a pretty common thing to see written from a Swede and certainly isn't something that deserves to be laughed at as if it's a misprint.

My point is that people were mocking the writer of that article even though, ironically enough- Kronvall is a perfectly valid spelling choice.

Kronwall or Kronvall, I couldn't really care less about which name is more "appropriate". Doesn't change the fact that he's a solid d-man and a solid person off the ice (or so I am assuming).

Some people have their anal-attentiveness caps on in this thread it seems.

True enough- that is what his jersey says. But Kronvall is a pretty common thing to see written from a Swede and certainly isn't something that deserves to be laughed at as if it's a misprint.

My point is that people were mocking the writer of that article even though, ironically enough- Kronvall is a perfectly valid spelling choice.

No it's not. It's his name. "Kronvall" when referring to the Detroit defenseman IS a misprint. And as far as American media goes, NHL.com is the only site that hasn't corrected it.

No it's not. It's his name. "Kronvall" when referring to the Detroit defenseman IS a misprint. And as far as American media goes, NHL.com is the only site that hasn't corrected it.
Right on man! :thumbup:

The only pass they get from me is if they are joking around about the spelling and spelling the wrong way on purpose trying to be funny.

:ph34r:

Right on man! :thumbup:

The only pass they get from me is if they are joking around about the spelling and spelling the wrong way on purpose trying to be funny.

:ph34r:

No lie.

Don't forget LGWers, there's a spelling quiz at 5:30pm today, and the ultimate deciding factor is spelling KRONWALL or KRONVALL the right way, and if you screw that up, you will fail and be thrown down your chimney into the fireplace and then have your no-no's chopped off.

:rolleyes::ph34r:

It's a sports forum people, it's not like we're composing a formal e-mail or a business report. I think there can be a little leeway towards a spelling error here and thee. We need to loosen up a little bit.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Well geeze- he better change his passport then because I guess he's offended at the idea of his name being spelled both ways. :rolleyes:

How about a compromise? We'll just spell it Kronvvall.

Not to change the subject, but I think it is cool that he credits Hasek, Lidstrom and Cheli as role models.

I just like him more all the time, and I'm glad to see he's getting credit for his hard work, both offensively and defensively. I haven't seen a game since Stuart started, but from the sounds of it, they seem comfortable playing together. Anyone who gets the game on TV care to comment on that? Do they look good?

I'm really glad to hear he's trying to learn to play smarter. He needs to avoid those injuries.

How about a compromise? We'll just spell it Kronvvall.

Not to change the subject, but I think it is cool that he credits Hasek, Lidstrom and Cheli as role models.

I just like him more all the time, and I'm glad to see he's getting credit for his hard work, both offensively and defensively. I haven't seen a game since Stuart started, but from the sounds of it, they seem comfortable playing together. Anyone who gets the game on TV care to comment on that? Do they look good?

I'm really glad to hear he's trying to learn to play smarter. He needs to avoid those injuries.

I bet you're glad you chose 55fan, rather than Kronwallfan or Kronvallfan. :lol:

The complaining would never end.