• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yc172

Note to League: We are Just Better

Rate this topic

It occurred to me as I was watching the game tonight that there isn't a team in the league who has the balance or the overall player skill level than the wings. Pav's looked like an MVP, Franzen is picking it up, and all is looking well for the wings.

Congratulations on a 17th straight playoff birth (a longest active north american professional sports record).

and

Congratulations on breaking the 100 point mark for the eighth straight year and the 12th time in the last 14 years.

This is why its great to be a wings fan.

Edited by Yc172

It occurred to me as I was watching the game tonight that there isn't a team in the league who has the balance or the overall player skill level than the wings. Pav's looked like an MVP, Franzen is picking it up, and all is looking well for the wings.

Congratulations on a 17th straight playoff birth (a north american professional sports record).

and

Congratulations on breaking the 100 point mark for the eighth straight year and the 12th time in the last 14 years.

Agreed. I don’t get to see a lot of games, but Datsyuk was stealing and raping the Stars all game ( Turco… I’m looking at you)

And to add, if the Mule developed a mean streak and was able to handle himself in a fight, it would be frosting on the cake. :thumbup:

edit: spelling

Edited by Statts

Congratulations on a 17th straight playoff birth (a north american professional sports record).

and

I thought the Blues held the record with 25 straight.

We definitely have all the pieces to take any team on in the league for the cup. There are only two problems that have me concerned: injuries and playoff experience of our younger players.

Injuries is pretty self-explainable. Even with our injuries last year we fought into the third round, but at that point our team was too depleted, and combine that with the refusal to die and some timely, lucky bounces in Anaheim's favor, and the series is over.

As for playoff experience, I'm worried that players like Hudler, Kopecky, and Fillppula don't have enough of it to know how much they're going to have to step it up to make a difference this year, but we'll see what happens. They definitely have it in them, its just a matter of extracting it when the time calls for it.

What's the old saying about counting chickens before they're hatched?

Regular season success is hardly a benchmark for how you do in the playoffs (See Detroit teams from 95-96, 03-04, 05-06, etc). Yes, we're a phenomenally talented team, but we still have a few chinks in the armor.

The primary concern I have is our secondary scoring. If Babs puts the ZDH line together, then our opponent will stack their top D pairing to attempt to neutralize them. If the ZDH line's production slows, does Babs then split them (and thin out/spread the talent around), or rely on the second line to step their games up (which is a gamble)?

I think our D is solid, and barring injury, is among the most talented in the league. But as last month showed us, losing a body or two (or, shudder to think, four) is not beyond the realm of possibility. With any luck, our injury bugs on the blueline are behind us, but that monster could rear it's ugly head at a moments notice...

I think we have what it takes to make a long run in the playoffs (and I damn sure want to see it happen). But I would hold off on booking Woodward Ave for the victory parade just yet...

*edit* (And, the Bruins actually hold the NHL & North American Major Professional Sports record for most consecutive playoff appearances, at 29, from 1968 to 1996. Detroit holds the longest current streak, at 17).

Edited by Jedi

You aren't the same guy that was making fun of the Dicks I mean ducks and their losing streak, you know right before we went on OUR losing streak. IF you are, please stop posting until after the playoffs. Thanks

Wow...and just imagine, a few weeks ago everything was doom and gloom around here..."this team sucks"..."we're too soft"..."we're too old"..."we're going to lose in the first round"...makes you realize how quickly things change.

Man just a couple weeks ago the consensus on these boards were that the Wings were not going to get past the first round. Now the Wings are "just better" than everyone else. Man these forums are great sometimes.

Don't forget, Holland's an idiot and McCarty sucks! :lol:

We've definitely got a great team here, no doubt.

But I'd like to see how we do in the playoffs first. As all Wings fans have grown to find out, there's a monumental difference between regular season and playoff games.

Regular Season = skill

Playoffs = will.

So who is Luke on our team? Cuz Chelios must be Obi Wan, or is Lids Obi and Cheli Yoda?

Cheli is Darth Vader. Don't forget that we are the most hated team in the NHL- so we must be the Empire, not the Republic.

Kinda throws a wrench into your ideas of the Wings as a force for good, doesn't it?

:ph34r:

Cheli is Darth Vader. Don't forget that we are the most hated team in the NHL- so we must be the Empire, not the Republic.

Kinda throws a wrench into your ideas of the Wings as a force for good, doesn't it?

:ph34r:

Haha, very true. So Howe is the Emperor right? It explains their ability to play as long as they do doesn't it? (Howe to Ovechkin): 'Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side'.

Congratulations on a 17th straight playoff birth (a longest active north american professional sports record).

It's not a record. It's simply the longest active streak in North American sports.

Wow...and just imagine, a few weeks ago everything was doom and gloom around here..."this team sucks"..."we're too soft"..."we're too old"..."we're going to lose in the first round"...makes you realize how quickly things change.

Yeah :rolleyes: That's what we like to call "Fair Weather Fans" <_< The other night Ken Daniels is like "Detroit has the best Defensive team. They also have the best offensive team." Well wait if we have the best offensive and defensive team, along with the top two goalies, wouldn't that make us the best team? Just throwing it out there. :huh:

Guest LivingtheDream
So who is Luke on our team? Cuz Chelios must be Obi Wan, or is Lids Obi and Cheli Yoda?

You have to ask? Skills that defy human capabilities, comes from the middle of nowhere, handles his ice saber better than anyone in the Empire? Dats man, DATSYUK!!!

You have to ask? Skills that defy human capabilities, comes from the middle of nowhere, handles his ice saber better than anyone in the Empire? Dats man, DATSYUK!!!

ice saber - I like that :lol: