• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Saran

HASEK or OSGOOD

Rate this topic

I think Ozzie is just tired of leading the league in GAA and not getting looked at as a Playoff goalie... He should go back to the bottom of the list where all non-playoff playing "backups" should belong... he is embarassing all the starters :P:lol:

all goalies need a breather, and thats what i meant. and i look at osgood as a starter and not a backup. so there you go.. dont make me into the joke here, id appreciate it. or is this trolling? im confused, maybe we got off on the wrong foot? :)

I think Ozzie is just tired of leading the league in GAA and not getting looked at as a Playoff goalie... He should go back to the bottom of the list where all non-playoff playing "backups" should belong... he is embarassing all the starters :P:lol:

all goalies need a breather, and thats what i meant. and i look at osgood as a starter and not a backup. so there you go.. dont make me into the joke here, id appreciate it. or is this trolling? im confused, maybe we got off on the wrong foot? :)

NM... not worth it, really.

Dom is starting because he's the better goalie for the job, and because as Kenny said, he's earned the right.

He is starting because his last name is Hasek, of course all the Hasek fan club will disagree.

Statistically and performance wise a different goalie is better for the job. Osgood has flat out stolen a couple games this year, something that really can not be said for Hasek. EVERYONE points out that Hasek lead the league in GAA, but EVERYONE NEGLECTS to say he's been BELOW a .900 SV% for majority of the season. For someone of Hasek's stature I find that pretty unacceptable. He may have dug himself into a hole in the first months, but who's fault is that? Osgood on the other hand has been AT LEAST in the top 10 in SV% all season, who also, correct me if I am wrong, lead the league in that category for quite some time.

You have a goalie that has a really good GAA and a really good SV%, actually the best for a while, and you have another goalie who has a really good GAA and a dismal SV%. Which one do you pick? Of course people are going to point out that the one goalie has blah blah blah trophies. He does. But you can't say, ever again, they should "ride the hot goalie" because that certainly isn't him.

Hasek has been the starter for a while now, he has the luxury of being Dominik Hasek, which is the only reason why he is starting seeing as, again, another goalie has outplayed him all season. Of course, none of this matters so long as Hasek doesn't pull any s*** in the playoffs and plays as he should. He plays like he should, the team plays like they should, they have a legit shot at the cup. Easy as that.

Ummm sorry? i was taking a portion of what you said and running with my own twist on a phrase i thought stood out... it was nothing against you personally nor to make you the joke... it was just something i thought stuck out at me... an applied my own thoughts to it.

Edited by OsGOD

Ummm sorry? i was taking a portion of what you said and running with my own twist on a phrase i thought stood out... it was nothing against you personally nor to make you the joke... it was just something i thought stuck out at me... an applied my own thoughts to it.

then i misunderstood.. :blush: ty for clarifying.

He is starting because his last name is Hasek, of course all the Hasek fan club will disagree.

Statistically and performance wise a different goalie is better for the job. Osgood has flat out stolen a couple games this year, something that really can not be said for Hasek. EVERYONE points out that Hasek lead the league in GAA, but EVERYONE NEGLECTS to say he's been BELOW a .900 SV% for majority of the season. For someone of Hasek's stature I find that pretty unacceptable. He may have dug himself into a hole in the first months, but who's fault is that? Osgood on the other hand has been AT LEAST in the top 10 in SV% all season, who also, correct me if I am wrong, lead the league in that category for quite some time.

You have a goalie that has a really good GAA and a really good SV%, actually the best for a while, and you have another goalie who has a really good GAA and a dismal SV%. Which one do you pick? Of course people are going to point out that the one goalie has blah blah blah trophies. He does. But you can't say, ever again, they should "ride the hot goalie" because that certainly isn't him.

Hasek has been the starter for a while now, he has the luxury of being Dominik Hasek, which is the only reason why he is starting seeing as, again, another goalie has outplayed him all season. Of course, none of this matters so long as Hasek doesn't pull any s*** in the playoffs and plays as he should. He plays like he should, the team plays like they should, they have a legit shot at the cup. Easy as that.

this just sounds like a blatent rant or attack, both goaltenders have done equally well in their careers... you have to constitute it as what is better for the team in the playoffs .... meaning lets test the two goalies out, i think thats fair, as far as this rant, it seems like you are really adimate on the hatred. but really, lets worry about the playoffs ... not why a gpalie gets a starting position. and that idea of yours is not really true.. im not a hasek junkie or an osgood junkie, but i am calling it as i see it.

this just sounds like a blatent rant or attack, both goaltenders have done equally well in their careers... you have to constitute it as what is better for the team in the playoffs .... meaning lets test the two goalies out, i think thats fair, as far as this rant, it seems like you are really adimate on the hatred. but really, lets worry about the playoffs ... not why a gpalie gets a starting position. and that idea of yours is not really true.. im not a hasek junkie or an osgood junkie, but i am calling it as i see it.

we've been hearing the same thing, ad nauseum, for months. As if repeating it a few more times will make it true? Whatever, Dom's the man. :thumbup:

Holland chooses Dom

"It's hard to win in this league without good goaltending and I think it gets overlooked how important our goaltending has been," Holland said. "We have two veteran guys who like each other, pull for each other. If all of the sudden something happened and Dom couldn't play, we would be comfortable with Osgood."

Too bad the fans can't be more like the goalies.

we've been hearing the same thing, ad nauseum, for months. As if repeating it a few more times will make it true? Whatever, Dom's the man. :thumbup:

Holland chooses Dom

"It's hard to win in this league without good goaltending and I think it gets overlooked how important our goaltending has been," Holland said. "We have two veteran guys who like each other, pull for each other. If all of the sudden something happened and Dom couldn't play, we would be comfortable with Osgood."

hey i love dom like the next person, you dont have to prove it to me, prove it to them. :siren::clap:;)

Holland chooses Dom

The fact that you can not come up with a legitimate argument leads me to believe it is true.

Edited by dallas27

Reading comprehension 101. And I quote myself:

Of course, none of this matters so long as Hasek doesn't pull any s*** in the playoffs and plays as he should. He plays like he should, the team plays like they should, they have a legit shot at the cup. Easy as that.

Bull ****ing crap Hasek hasn't stolen games this year. Do you realize he has 2 1-0 shutout wins over playoff teams this year? Another shutout win over a playoff team would've been 1-0 except we scored an ENG with 12 seconds left, so that would make three. He had to be perfect in all of those games. And he was. But those don't count. If it's Osgood we all have a group hug and he gets a cookie. Dom? Meh, he didn't make 40 stops so it doesn't count. Dom just makes saves. Ozzie steals games.

He's 17-4 against playoff teams this year with 5 shutouts and something like a 1.70 gaa/.918 save percentage. He hasn't done as well against the Chicagos and St. Louises of the world, but the great thing about the playoffs is that we won't see teams like that (barring a miracle from Chicago). But he brings it when it matters.

It's awful funny that you say Osgood has been at least top 10 in save percentage the entire year, when he currently ranks #16 (and only three of the guys ahead of him have played less games). Yes it's better than Dom's still, but Dom has raised his save percentage 30 points since the first month and a half of the season, and that's not all that easy to do when you face as few shots as our goalies do. The gap in their save percentages used to be like 60 or 70 points. Now it's 15. But Ozzie just steals games.

Dom went 3 1/2 damn months without giving up more than three goals in a game and had a 1.6ish goals against in that span. And he's played almost 60% of his minutes against playoff teams to something like 40% for Osgood.

Osgood was clearly better in October and November. They both posted sparkling numbers in December. Dom was clearly better in January and February. Osgood's numbers were slightly better in March, but Dom did better at winning games.

Some of you Osgood fanboys are absolutely bat-**** crazy. He's having a really solid year, but for the love of Parise, he hasn't done anything in the playoffs in almost a decade. I think he'd do fine if he was pressed into duty, but the way some people around here talk about Hasek, it really makes me wonder if they do anything but look at the stat box on Yahoo for the season.

Edited by Packer487

He's having a really solid year, but for the love of Parise, he hasn't done anything in the playoffs in almost a decade.

Recently he just looks on as those given the nod fail because the coach doesn't to like the right ships going the wrong way in the playoffs... it might produce positive results to take out the "starter" once in a while during the playoffs.

Recently he just looks on as those given the nod fail because the coach doesn't to like the right ships going the wrong way in the playoffs... it might produce positive results to take out the "starter" once in a while during the playoffs.

Yup, he sure does have a massive track record of success (2 times out of the first round in almost a decade). There's no reason to think that we wouldn't have 14 Cups if we had just kept Ozzie his whole career and played him every playoff run.

And for the record, he might have gotten his shot against Edmonton if he hadn't gotten hurt. Can't blame Babs on that one. And despite the revisionist history around here, there would have been no justification for playing him at the start of that series.

Again, I'm not even trying to rip on the guy. He's been really good this year, he deserved to be in the All-Star game and I think he'd do fine in the playoffs. But some of you talk about him like he's completely infallible and that Hasek blows. It's absolutely absurd. Dom won as many playoff rounds last year as Osgood has since he held the Cup. Dom's been fantastic against playoff teams this year, he's been really good overall since December started, and he's arguably the best goalie in the history of hockey. There's no reason NOT to play him. If the playoffs started in late November, you would've had a case. Now? There's no reason not to go with Hasek.

Babs is going to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win. He's not an idiot, despite your comment above that he doesn't want to right the ship. Because, it was totally Dom that was the problem last year. Whatever.

Some of you Osgood fanboys are absolutely bat-**** crazy.
Edited by Packer487

Bull ******* crap Hasek hasn't stolen games this year. Do you realize he has 2 1-0 shutout wins over playoff teams this year? Another shutout win over a playoff team would've been 1-0 except we scored an ENG with 12 seconds left, so that would make three. He had to be perfect in all of those games. And he was. But those don't count. If it's Osgood we all have a group hug and he gets a cookie. Dom just makes saves. Ozzie steals games.

He's 17-4 against playoff teams this year with 5 shutouts and something like a 1.70 gaa/.918 save percentage. He hasn't done as well against the Chicagos and St. Louises of the world, but the great thing about the playoffs is that we won't see teams like that (barring a miracle from Chicago). But he brings it when it matters.

It's awful funny that you say Osgood has been at least top 10 in save percentage the entire year, when he currently ranks #16 (and only three of the guys ahead of him have played less games). Yes it's better than Dom's still, but Dom has raised his save percentage 30 points since the first month and a half of the season, and that's not all that easy to do when you face as few shots as our goalies do.

He went 3 1/2 damn months without giving up more than three goals in a game and had a 1.6ish goals against in that span. And he's played almost 60% of his minutes against playoff teams to something like 40% for Osgood.

Osgood was clearly better in October and November. They both posted sparkling numbers in December. Dom was clearly better in January and February. Osgood's numbers were slightly better in March, but Dom did better at winning games.

Some of you Osgood fanboys are absolutely bat-s*** crazy. He's having a really solid year, but for the love of Parise, he hasn't done anything in the playoffs in almost a decade.

How many shots did he face those games? Stealing a game doesn't mean just winning 1-0. Stealing a game entails getting SHELLED with shots, being outplayed, the whole 9 yards. Did he play a big part and win the game, sure, but steal, would have to see it again. I'm thinking...was one of them Anaheim, I think it was, that one I can see.

I'm not going to go see what Osgood's numbers are against playoff teams, but I'm quite sure they can't be too far off from Hasek's. You make it sound like Osgood totally blew against them. Last time I checked Osgood was in the top 10, sorry. But hey, at least it's not the bottom 10 where Hasek has been all season, with again, below a .900 sv%.

Far from an Osgood fanboy, take a look at my sig. But I do know when one goalie out-performs another, and deserves the start. But as I said, and as all you Hasek people LOVE to ignore, and I will quote myself AGAIN

Of course, none of this matters so long as Hasek doesn't pull any s*** in the playoffs and plays as he should. He plays like he should, the team plays like they should, they have a legit shot at the cup. Easy as that.
Should I make that bold for you, will that help? Or are you just going to choose to ignore it, again.

I love it when Hasek lovers try to call Osgood fanboys crazy, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.

How many shots did he face those games? Stealing a game doesn't mean just winning 1-0. Stealing a game entails getting SHELLED with shots, being outplayed, the whole 9 yards. Did he play a big part and win the game, sure, but steal, would have to see it again. I'm thinking...was one of them Anaheim, I think it was, that one I can see.

So wait, if he shut out Anaheim 1-0, it automatically counts as stealing a game (for the record it was Colorado twice and Nashville) no matter the shots? He made 15, 19, and 22 saves. Not huge numbers, but then again, Osgood has 18, 27, 20, and 12 saves in his shutouts, 3 were against non-playoff teams, and we didn't score less than 3 goals in any of them. But we love him so those count. Not to mention that saves isn't exactly the best stat to go off of either. If you only face 15 shots, but 4 are high-quality and you got no goal support out of your team, yeah, you stole the game.

I also remember a win over Minnesota that he definitely "stole" but I can't give you any details on it. Probably that 3-2 OT one.

I'm not going to go see what Osgood's numbers are against playoff teams, but I'm quite sure they can't be too far off from Hasek's. You make it sound like Osgood totally blew against them. Last time I checked Osgood was in the top 10, sorry. But hey, at least it's not the bottom 10 where Hasek has been all season, with again, below a .900 sv%.

They're similar, but not quite as good. Osgood is like 12-4-1 with a 2.03 and a .914 with one shutout. (Actually, those numbers include Vancouver too, whoops, but both goalies were really good against them, so it shouldn't skew things too much--helps Doms win total more (2 vs. 1 for Osgood), helps Osgood's save % more)

And I'm not sure where I made it sound like Osgood blew against playoff teams. I never mentioned--or alluded to--him in that section. I posted Dom's stats against teams in the playoffs, said he brings it when it matters, and pointed out that even though he's got terrible numbers against St. Louis, Chicago, and Columbus, barring a miracle we won't see any of those teams in the post-season.

It is actually possible to point out positives from one goalie without bashing the other, you know.

Far from an Osgood fanboy, take a look at my sig. But I do know when one goalie out-performs another, and deserves the start. But as I said, and as all you Hasek people LOVE to ignore, and I will quote myself AGAIN Should I make that bold for you, will that help? Or are you just going to choose to ignore it, again.

The problem I have with your little quote is that you had to throw in the "as long as Hasek doesn't pull any s***" line. You could say the same thing about Osgood. They've each had their share of stinkers, but we write off Osgood's because he was playing with an AHL defense. Never mind that in Dom's, our defense played like a bunch of AHLers (yes, they were awful when he got lit against St. Louis and Chicago in November as well as when he got yanked against Columbus).

I love it when Hasek lovers try to call Osgood fanboys crazy, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.

I'm crazy because I defend a goalie that is 6-1 in playoff series as a Red Wing, but acknowledge the other guy would probably do just fine too?

Hasek's just better. He always has been and he always will be. He's been very good since December started, with a couple of hiccups that you'll see throughout the year from any goalie. And I think he gives us the better chance to win the Cup.

Osgood is 10-8-3 with a 2.46/.896 in the last half of the season. Dom is 13-4-1 with a 1.96/.912.

Even taking out the entire month of February, Dom has the edge:

Osgood: 8-2-2, 2.18, .908

Hasek: 11-3-0, 2.03, .909

So it ain't just that Dom was hurt when the AHLers were on D and Osgood suffered. Add in that Dom tends to play more of the playoff caliber teams and it's easy to see why I want him in net, no matter what his stats look like for the OMG whole year.

Edited by Packer487

So wait, if he shut out Anaheim 1-0, it automatically counts as stealing a game (for the record it was Colorado twice and Nashville) no matter the shots? He made 15, 19, and 22 saves. Not huge numbers, but then again, Osgood has 18, 27, 20, and 12 saves in his shutouts, 3 were against non-playoff teams, and we didn't score less than 3 goals in any of them. But we love him so those count. Not to mention that saves isn't exactly the best stat to go off of either. If you only face 15 shots, but 4 are high-quality and you got no goal support out of your team, yeah, you stole the game.

I also remember a win over Minnesota that he definitely "stole" but I can't give you any details on it. Probably that 3-2 OT one.

Wrong game. This one.

The problem I have with your little quote is that you had to throw in the "as long as Hasek doesn't pull any s***" line. You could say the same thing about Osgood. They've each had their share of stinkers, but we write off Osgood's because he was playing with an AHL defense. Never mind that in Dom's, our defense played like a bunch of AHLers (yes, they were awful when he got lit against St. Louis and Chicago in November as well as when he got yanked against Columbus).

True, but when was the last time you saw Osgood pull anything. I think it's safe to say Hasek is known for pulling some crap at some point and time. But so long as he doesn't the Wings are in good shape, seeing as it is the playoffs I don't foresee it happening.

I'm crazy because I defend a goalie that is 6-1 in playoff series as a Red Wing, but acknowledge the other guy would probably do just fine too? Hasek's just better. He always has been and he always will be. He's been very good since December started, with a couple of hiccups that you'll see throughout the year from any goalie.

Osgood is 10-8-3 with a 2.46/.896 in the last half of the season. Dom is 13-4-1 with a 1.96/.912.

Even taking out the entire month of February, Dom has the edge:

Osgood: 8-2-2, 2.18, .908

Hasek: 11-3-0, 2.03, .909

So it ain't just that Dom was hurt when the AHLers were on D and Osgood suffered. Add in that Dom tends to play more of the playoff caliber teams and it's easy to see why I want him in net, no matter what his stats look like for the whole year.

But the Osgood fan club is crazy because they are trying to defend their goalie? And then you just shoot them down. Please.

Take out all the months you want, bottom line is Osgood has better stats. Hasek may have slightly better stats than Osgood when it comes to playoff teams, but you look at the whole season and Osgood has been the more consistent, steady, healthy goaltender of the two.

And as I have said before, it doesn't matter how well Osgood played, Hasek was and always has been the starter. It's crappy that Osgood's season goes to waste but that's the way it is. As long as Hasek leads them to a cup it doesn't matter.

Edited by dallas27

Wrong game. This one.

Gotcha. So now, if we're counting, we've got essentially 3 1-0 shutouts of playoff teams (if Dom didn't have a shutout, we don't get the ENG in the 2-0 win, so I don't think it's unfair to count that one...Lord knows you probably differ), a stolen win over Anaheim, and one over Minnesota. And that's just based on what we remember.

True, but when was the last time you saw Osgood pull anything. I think it's safe to say Hasek is known for pulling some crap at some point and time. But so long as he doesn't the Wings are in good shape, seeing as it is the playoffs I don't foresee it happening.

When you say Hasek is known for pulling some crap, are you talking about playing badly or getting hurt and shutting it down for the season? The only time there's ever been an issue with Dom in Detroit was when he got hurt during his comeback and he paid the team back all the salary he made during that time. Pretty safe to say it's not a concern.

But the Osgood fan club is crazy because they are trying to defend their goalie? And then you just shoot them down. Please.

No. Not at all. Notice how I've never said a peep to the people who have been like "They're both great goalies, I just have a slight preference toward Osgood." The people I have a problem with--and need to shoot down--are the jack-asses who talk about Osgood like he's having the best season a goalie has ever had, forget about 1-0 overtime shutouts for Dom the second the defense hangs him out to dry a couple of times, say things like "Hasek hasn't stolen any games" even though it's completely untrue, and won't look beyond what it says at the end of his stat line.

If you think Osgood is the better choice come playoff time, that's fine. Like I've said countless times, he'd probably do just fine. But don't sit there and try to tell me that Dom is only starting because of his name, like he hasn't played well this season at all. He's been very good/great for a much larger portion of this season than the time he struggled. The problem is that with the limited shots these guys face, it's a lot easier to screw your save percentage up than it is to fix it.

Take out all the months you want, bottom line is Osgood has better stats. Hasek may have slightly better stats than Osgood when it comes to playoff teams, but you look at the whole season and Osgood has been the more consistent, steady, healthy goaltender of the two.

...except not in the second half of the season--with or without the time that our defense was banged up.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you: I don't care how Dom played in October and November. It's completely irrelevant at this point. It'd be like saying that I have a concern that Datsyuk can't score goals anymore, because he got off to such a slow start. Since December started, Dom has been better. And when you add that in with his track record in the playoffs, and the fact that Osgood hasn't been nearly as good as he was in Oct/Nov/Dec, there's absolutely no reason not to start him.

And as I have said before, it doesn't matter how well Osgood played, Hasek was and always has been the starter. It's crappy that Osgood's season goes to waste but that's the way it is. As long as Hasek leads them to a cup it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter how well Osgood plays as long as Hasek plays well. If Dom was playing like ass and Osgood was playing great, Osgood would be the starter. But Dom has been fine since December started (and much better than fine for most of that span), and Babcock is thankfully smart enough to look past the struggles in Oct. and Nov.

Edited by Packer487

Gotcha. So now, if we're counting, we've got essentially 3 1-0 shutouts of playoff teams (if Dom didn't have a shutout, we don't get the ENG in the 2-0 win, so I don't think it's unfair to count that one...Lord knows you probably differ), a stolen win over Anaheim, and one over Minnesota. And that's just based on what we remember.

No, see, you're counting. Just because a team wins 1-0 doesn't mean the goalie "stole" the game. I'm talking about people saying "that is the definition of stealing a game" in the gdt. Osgood's name has been associated with that quote more than Hasek.

When you say Hasek is known for pulling some crap, are you talking about playing badly or getting hurt and shutting it down for the season? The only time there's ever been an issue with Dom in Detroit was when he got hurt during his comeback and he paid the team back all the salary he made during that time. Pretty safe to say it's not a concern.

I'm talking about what gets him in trouble, defaulting to going on his back (which cost the Wings some goals last post-season), not mentally being in it, problems he HAS had in the past. It's the playoffs, we all know he performs in the playoffs, so it shouldn't and most likely won't be a problem.

No. Not at all. Notice how I've never said a peep to the people who have been like "They're both great goalies, I just have a slight preference toward Osgood." The people I have a problem with--and need to shoot down--are the jack-asses who talk about Osgood like he's having the best season a goalie has ever had, forget about 1-0 overtime shutouts for Dom the second the defense hangs him out to dry a couple of times, say things like "Hasek hasn't stolen any games" even though it's completely untrue, and won't look beyond what it says at the end of his stat line.

If you think Osgood is the better choice come playoff time, that's fine. Like I've said countless times, he'd probably do just fine. But don't sit there and try to tell me that Dom is only starting because of his name, like he hasn't played well this season at all. He's been very good/great for a much larger portion of this season than the time he struggled. The problem is that with the limited shots these guys face, it's a lot easier to screw your save percentage up than it is to fix it.

Ahhhh, yes. Because I have never given Hasek credit in the past. I've said countless times he's one of the best, if not the best to ever play. Never said he played like garbage either, I am ragging on his .899 sv% but for a starting goaltender, bad months and all, it's still bad. Sorry I am looking at the end of the stat line. It pretty much proves that all season, despite the month of that starts with F, Osgood has played some pretty damn good hockey and still maintained an excellent sv% and gaa. That's not saying Hasek hasn't. Take out those months in the beginning, as you have, and they have similar numbers. Osgood to me, has been more reliable, in terms of health, and consistent, Hasek has been pulled in the first period 2 games in the past week or two, Osgood has been pulled too, but not with a couple games to go in the season.

You have two goalies that are equally capable of starting the playoffs. Obviously you are going to go with Hasek and everything associated with him and his name. It means all the awards and accolades come with it. He's Dominik Hasek, hard to argue with that. Except when another goalie is just as deserving. So what's the justification in the end...well, he's Dominik Hasek and he's Chris Osgood. See the whole name thing now?

No, see, you're counting. Just because a team wins 1-0 doesn't mean the goalie "stole" the game. I'm talking about people saying "that is the definition of stealing a game" in the gdt. Osgood's name has been associated with that quote more than Hasek.

Chances are, if you're playing a team headed for the post-season there are going to be a few really good scoring chances in there. If the goalie blanks the other team and got basically no support out of his offense, I have no problem with people wanting to give him credit. If it's 5-0 and the other team got 12 shots, then no, he probably didn't steal the game. If it's 1-0? He probably deserves a little more credit than you're giving him.

Not that it really matters if these games "count" as stealing a win, but when you stop a breakaway in a 0-0 game in OT, to me, it counts. I know he made some huge stops in one of the Colorado games late when it was still 0-0, even though Colorado hadn't really attempted to play offense most of the time.

I'm talking about what gets him in trouble, defaulting to going on his back (which cost the Wings some goals last post-season), not mentally being in it, problems he HAS had in the past. It's the playoffs, we all know he performs in the playoffs, so it shouldn't and most likely won't be a problem.

It blows my mind how many people crack on him for his style of play. He's done it for more than a decade and it works for him. Would I suggest a young goalie watching it and trying to emulate it? No. But it works for him. Sure, maybe going to the snow angel results in a goal here and there, but you're assuming that no goals would be scored if he wasn't snow angelling. The guy didn't just accidentally become one of the very best to ever play the game. He knows what he's doing, even if it's horribly unconventional.

Ahhhh, yes. Because I have never given Hasek credit in the past. I've said countless times he's one of the best, if not the best to ever play. Never said he played like garbage either, I am ragging on his .899 sv% but for a starting goaltender, bad months and all, it's still bad. Sorry I am looking at the end of the stat line.

That umm...had nothing to do with what I said. I don't care if you think he's the best hockey player to ever play the game. It doesn't change that this year you keep going with your asinine theory that if he starts the playoffs it will only be because of his name. Not because of anything he did on the ice. Just his name.

It pretty much proves that all season, despite the month of that starts with F, Osgood has played some pretty damn good hockey and still maintained an excellent sv% and gaa. That's not saying Hasek hasn't. Take out those months in the beginning, as you have, and they have similar numbers. Osgood to me, has been more reliable, in terms of health, and consistent, Hasek has been pulled in the first period 2 games in the past week or two, Osgood has been pulled too, but not with a couple games to go in the season.

I don't know why people keep saying Dom has been pulled twice in the first period. One of the newspapers even wrote that. It's not true.

Basically if our goalies are getting pulled, the defense probably is playing like hell. I think you'd find that in pretty much every game that Hasek or Osgood has gotten yanked in. No help from the D. Even the Hasek "haters" could only really fault him on one last night, and that was after things really started going downhill.

You have two goalies that are equally capable of starting the playoffs. Obviously you are going to go with Hasek and everything associated with him and his name. It means all the awards and accolades come with it. He's Dominik Hasek, hard to argue with that. Except when another goalie is just as deserving. So what's the justification in the end...well, he's Dominik Hasek and he's Chris Osgood. See the whole name thing now?

Yeah I get that. It's just when you say things like "It doesn't matter how bad Hasek played or how good Osgood played, Hasek was always going to be the starter because of his name." it completely ignores the fact that he's been really good for more than half the season and has sparkling numbers against the good teams in the league. You act like it's just been given to him all along and that it has nothing to do with what he's done on the ice.

I don't have a problem saying that if you've got two goalies whose stats are relatively similar (at least of late), track record, history, etc. is the "tie breaker" because it's obviously the case. Osgood was going to have to be the clearly better goalie to beat Hasek out and it hasn't been the case. Not with the way Dom has played since December. But they didn't just give it to Dom. If he was playing like crap, they wouldn't start him. Babcock isn't stupid.

Yup, he sure does have a massive track record of success (2 times out of the first round in almost a decade). There's no reason to think that we wouldn't have 14 Cups if we had just kept Ozzie his whole career and played him every playoff run.

And for the record, he might have gotten his shot against Edmonton if he hadn't gotten hurt. Can't blame Babs on that one. And despite the revisionist history around here, there would have been no justification for playing him at the start of that series.

Again, I'm not even trying to rip on the guy. He's been really good this year, he deserved to be in the All-Star game and I think he'd do fine in the playoffs. But some of you talk about him like he's completely infallible and that Hasek blows. It's absolutely absurd. Dom won as many playoff rounds last year as Osgood has since he held the Cup. Dom's been fantastic against playoff teams this year, he's been really good overall since December started, and he's arguably the best goalie in the history of hockey. There's no reason NOT to play him. If the playoffs started in late November, you would've had a case. Now? There's no reason not to go with Hasek.

Babs is going to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win. He's not an idiot, despite your comment above that he doesn't want to right the ship. Because, it was totally Dom that was the problem last year. Whatever.

And by the way, who gives us the best chance to win... the guy with the lower GAA and higher Save% or the other guy (who is already credited with the starts next week)? I think babs is just going by name and not by current league play....

I love your little Osgood slappy quote... its so cute.. all full of <3's and s***... absolutely adorable!

Oh and Ozzie has held the stanley cup twice as many times as dom... what exactly were you going with that more series than ozzie(and cup) thing... what was your point? Just becuase dom was the best, doesn't mean he still is the best... sometimes things just go be let go.

Both of our goalies have good games and bad.. both have gotten yanked in first periods.. i don't see why you feel hasek is the "best" chance we have to win...while Osgood isn't?

Edited by OsGOD