• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Saran

HASEK or OSGOOD

Rate this topic

And by the way, who gives us the best chance to win... the guy with the lower GAA and higher Save% or the other guy (who is already credited with the starts next week)? I think babs is just going by name and not by current league play....

It must burn you that Osgood is having the best season of his career, Hasek's been so awful, and the coach still thinks higher of Dom.

Fortunately, our coach doesn't base things off of GAA and Save %. Or meaningless games in October and November.

Oh and Ozzie has held the stanley cup twice as many times as dom...

So has Chris Terreri. Doesn't make him good.

what exactly were you going with that more series than ozzie(and cup) thing... what was your point?

You want to know what my point was when I pointed out that Dom won as many playoff series last year alone as Osgood has won since the 99 season started? :rolleyes:

You're right. That pales in comparison to the point that Osgood has two Stanley Cups, since he piggy-backed on Vernon for the first one. Dom would be so much better of a goalie if Belfour and Chicago had won the Cup in 91-92 instead of losing to Pittsburgh. Darn. That would've helped my argument too. If only he would've known that losing a series that he had nothing to do with would still be haunting him 16 years later....

I guess it's a good thing the Wings lost to the Devils in 95. If Vernon had won that Cup for us, you'd pretty much have to start Osgood in this playoff run.

Just becuase dom was the best, doesn't mean he still is the best... sometimes things just go be let go.

True. But based on his play since December started, he is the best choice for this team. If Osgood was still playing the way he was in October-December, you'd have an argument. I might even be inclined to listen. But his play has leveled off. He's still been very good, he's still having a career year, but over the last few months, Dom has been better. And thankfully Babcock doesn't put as much stock in October games as you guys do.

And strangely enough, no one was beating the "play the goalie who has been better for the WHOLE SEASON" drum when they were arguing for Osgood over Legace a few years back.

Both of our goalies have good games and bad.. both have gotten yanked in first periods.. i don't see why you feel hasek is the "best" chance we have to win...while Osgood isn't?

I don't know how many times I have to say this: If Osgood is pressed into duty, I think he will do just fine. But by definition, they can't both be our "best" chance to win in my eyes. So I'm going with a guy that struggled out of the gate and screwed up his stats for the year, was arguably the best goalie in the league for 3 1/2 months, and has a sparkling record against the teams that actually matter come playoff time. Not to mention, he's actually had a taste of the second round this millennium.

It will all work out, one way or the other.

If Dom wins the Cup as starter, dedicated haters can hoot that he didn't really contribute to the win, as they did in 2002. Despite a Conn Smythe worthy playoffs -- he broke a couple of shut out records -- he was counted by many as a non-factor. Those of us who "knew" he had it in him will get to be right if he succeeds.

Ozzie gets a Cup one way or the other.

If Dom has the misfortune of "losing" because there is no offense and the D leaves him out there to kill penalties alone, then all the Ozzie Cultists can squeal with delight, and say if Ozzie had played the Wings would surely have won.... as if there is any way to know that. And, of course, it wouldn't be true.

Dom still gets a Cup if Ozzie takes the team all the way. Happy times. I don't care, honestly.

If Ozzie takes over at some point, I guarantee that at least in these forums, there will be no blame or doubt cast on him if he loses. It's not allowed, I don't think. :unsure: He's had that sort of year where nothing negative sticks to him. He's cute, he's funny, no one says one word against him (for fear of losing their heads here). No goal he lets in is ever his to account for. He's had bad games, but you wouldn't know it from reading this site.

Hasek and Ozzie could (and sometimes do) play pretty much identical games, but the attitude is completely different when it comes to people's reactions. Ozzie would have gotten a tickertape parade and a press conference for last night's game. Hasek got a collective "meh" from the LGW troops, and criticism for at least one of the goals against (despite winning the game and a star). Neither goal would have been faulted to Osgood, I am willing to bet on that.

If you can't see the bias against Hasek, you're not looking very closely. It's not just in Detroit, it's everywhere. It's like people want him to fail, it's fun! As lots of posters are fond of saying, you should root for the team not the goalie. In my mind, rooting against Hasek is a form for non-support for the team. Ditto, if you're an Ozzie basher - not that there are any who still post here. Some people love to accuse me of not liking Ozzie, because I am so staunch in my support for Dom. It couldn't be farther from fact, if you know me (but you don't, so there). I over-estimate people all the time, and expect them to be more fair than that. So, sue me for giving people the benefit of the doubt, I guess. :unsure:

Just keep in mind, for those who hope Dom craters in round 1: if Hasek gets hung out to dry and doesn't win every game, neither do the Wings. That's not a good thing, or something to wish for unless you're rooting for the opposing team. I would think Wings fans would support either goalie, but that's not the case.

Regardless of which goalie ends up with the majority of games in the playoffs, win or lose, the entire Red Wings team will be involved in the games, instead of just one individual.

Edited by puckloo39

I really hope Osgood gets the nod . he's had a really good season and as many are pointing out probably one of his best ever season's . he deserve's his shot. I say start with Ozzie and if things don't go to great then bring in Dom . it's the perfect scenario. we start with one of the hottest Goaltender's in the league and if he cools down then bring in one of the most experienced there is , it's a win win situation.

It must burn you that Osgood is having the best season of his career, Hasek's been so awful, and the coach still thinks higher of Dom.

Fortunately, our coach doesn't base things off of GAA and Save %. Or meaningless games in October and November.

Nah it doesn't burn me at all... watching us lose again like last year with the goalie laying helpless on his back is what burns me...

Coach also thought Manny was the way to go in the playoffs... I don't hold his views on goaltending choices to highest regards... he has a bit of blinders on when it comes to that.

Nah it doesn't burn me at all... watching us lose again like last year with the goalie laying helpless on his back is what burns me...

Coach also thought Manny was the way to go in the playoffs... I don't hold his views on goaltending choices to highest regards... he has a bit of blinders on when it comes to that.

There would have been absolutely no justification for starting Osgood against Edmonton. He was absolutely brutal for most of that season and Legace had lost twice in regulation in his last 24 heading into the playoffs, and had won 8 straight giving up 15 goals total.

It didn't work out with Legace in net, but we can put that one on the list of Epic Failures like SJ 94 and LA 01....

14 Cups in 14 seasons if we just would've kept Osgood and started him every year, I tell ya!

You know, the tough part about this is that there is no way to say if Ozzie would have done better than Manny did in the playoffs. The team failed Legace, just as they did Cujo - not the other way around. There won't be any way this season to say definitively whether one goalie would have "won," if he didn't actually play. It's not even an argument. There is simply no way to know Ozzie would have been better than Dom or vice versa, so it's all conjecture.

Dom came back last season and took that same Wings Manny had in front of him farther in the playoffs than any goalie had since he left in 2002. That's not for nothing, folks. There is a reason why the Wings got past round 1 last season. Perhaps some of the faith the staff and team show in Dom relates to that fact?

For those who are still moaning over Dom laying in the crease last playoffs (with no defenseman around, or Lilja "helping" the other team out...) just remember that peoples' memories are long. Most here may recall being burned by a Cloutier-esque softie or two on Ozzie, with similar results -- even though it's not mentioned anymore. :cool:

Don't worry, Oz-lovers. Ozzie's got teflon underwear this season... nothing negative sticks to him. If we lose with Dom, Ozzie's the saint who would have won, we just KNOW it!!! And if the team succeeds in front of Dom, Ozzie will be happy for him and he gets a Cup, anyway.

If Dom goes down injured then Ozzie will be the hero if the team wins. You can always hope for that, as injury is the only thing that will keep Dom out of the crease. Or Ozzie will be excused for losing, since there wasn't any way he could salvage what Hasek messed up so badly, since Hasek plays alone without a team in front of him. << sarcasm alert.

It's Dom -- not the lack of D or missing offense -- which causes us to lose games. Do I have that about right, from your perspective?

Fans apparently feel compelled to pick a player to run out of town each season. Dom's the goat in Detroit for this season. Priceless.

Dom's won a Cup within the last decade. He remembers how.

You people have got to stop. You all are nuts. It's like starting to celebrate Christmas right after the 4th of July.

It is not that hard to figure this out without a 15-page book report.

Both goalies are more than capable of making top-notch saves. I wouldn't count on either goalie to steal a majority of games on their efforts alone. Both goalies have had solid spurts this entire season. They've had a few instances of making bad defnese look good. Sometimes the defense in front of them as been downright awful for BOTH goaltenders.

The goaltenders need to just do their 1/6th on the ice and keep the soft goals to an absolute minimum. Both Hasek and Osgood are capable of doing that.

I don't care who starts, I am comfortable with both. It's a shame I seem to be the only person who feels this way.

There would have been absolutely no justification for starting Osgood against Edmonton. He was absolutely brutal for most of that season and Legace had lost twice in regulation in his last 24 heading into the playoffs, and had won 8 straight giving up 15 goals total.

It didn't work out with Legace in net, but we can put that one on the list of Epic Failures like SJ 94 and LA 01....

14 Cups in 14 seasons if we just would've kept Osgood and started him every year, I tell ya!

Why single out those years... how about every other year out side of 97,98, 02 as epic failures... I know i was alive for lot more epic failures than just those two choice years (weren't you???)....oh because ozzie was involved thats right :rolleyes:

Go Neuvirth Go

Go GENS Go

Edited by OsGOD

Now you're just being stupid Pack. Osgood won 3 games in the 94 playoffs, and lost 2. Bob Essensa's inability to stop the puck in his two starts was the reason Detroit didn't win that series. As far as 2001...Osgood was the best player in that series. Legace was the worst player on the Wings in 2006...so that is a completely different situation.

I'd throw Jimmy in before Hasek. Even if Ozzie and Hasek are equal in shot-blocking capability (which they're not), you can bank on Dom giving up at least one goal due to a) playing the puck outside the trapezoid, b) trying to draw an interference call by giving his best impression of the Bill Laimbeer flop or c) by deciding to chuck his stick to the corner and getting beat five-hole.

I'm leaning more toward Ozzie....he's been great this year. Although not opposed to seeing who's doing better at the start of the playoffs....switch them when needed.

To Everyone:

lets put it all into thought, i think both will be played during the playoffs. the end will show whos better, blah, blah blah, realy its a waste of time and energy to argue that ozzie or dom is going to start, really does it matter as long as we have one of the two doing well? tis true Detroit Fans are hard on their goalies, but stuff like this can get down right annoying.

if anyone knows the definition of team work please post it up.. oh wait, i have it here..

Team work: (webster dictionary) : work done by several associates with each doing a part but all subordinating personal prominence to the efficiency of the whole

this is the most important part, not about who has the best resume.. because really your going on resumes it seems, who has the most cups, or who the coach says is most efficient.. true enough id like to see dom in there, but i also know, it has to be for the better of the team. so ill go with whatever babcock decides because i am sure a coach would know his own team better than i would.

**May the best goaltender be in net**

Edited by wingedwheeler12

:ranting: we just have to play like a team, Dom cannot pull a full series. give each goaltender a couple games. :ranting:

You saw last night how good this team can make any goalie when they show up. They did for Ozzie, so I would say the signs are pretty clear... even if he loses one, I would leave him. The team will know it wasn't Ozzie who was at fault, and will play better for him next time.

I'd throw Jimmy in before Hasek. Even if Ozzie and Hasek are equal in shot-blocking capability (which they're not), you can bank on Dom giving up at least one goal due to a) playing the puck outside the trapezoid, b) trying to draw an interference call by giving his best impression of the Bill Laimbeer flop or c) by deciding to chuck his stick to the corner and getting beat five-hole.

Little harsh treatment for one of the keys to the 2002 Cup team and the great run last season don't you think?! Dom had a rough couple of games and owned up to it. Ozzie came in and played solid. The simple fact is we have two Stanley Cup winning goalies to choose from, how good is that? The bigger question, what will we do next year in goal???

OF course... keep league leading Ozzie and bring up Howie to back up... problem solved with little to know money paid out above and beyond.

ohhh the joys of keeping the same goalie for more than a season. God i know its a new concept for Detroit, but we should at least give it a whirl!

Hopefully this won't happen, but, after how many loses should Hasek play? 1 or 2?

Unlikey to happen (losses or goalie switch) since the team is defensively tighter and contributing to the offense in the last 6 games. Since it's not necessary (or correct) to change goalies, you probably won't see Hasek again.

That appears to suit the majority here, and in the media/NHL. I wouldn't worry about it too much, CB.