• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

3/19 Morning Skate: Filppula out (groin)

Rate this topic

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

Looks like a curveball or two in tonight's lineup for Detroit.

Derek Meech will definitely play forward tonight, according to coach Mike Babcock. Why there's a need for him up front isn't as clear. Aaron Downey will be in the lineup. So will Darren Helm.

That means that one forward who played in Sunday's game in Columbus will be absent tonight, but when asked which forward, Babcock declined to name one. It might be that a veteran will be given a night off to rest a lingering injury.

-- Babcock did say that Brett Lebda and Chris Chelios will play tonight, making Andreas Lilja a healthy scratch. Babcock said yesterday that those three will battle for the third defense pairing in the playoffs.

-- Tomas Holmstrom did battle drills at the morning skate and said afterwards that he felt great. What Holmstrom can't do well right now is straight-ahead skating (insert punch line here). His abdominal strain still lingers. Holmstrom had hopes of returning to the lineup Thursday night in Nashville, but that seems out now. Saturday in Columbus would be his earliest return.

Meech playing forward is great. I like that kid a lot, he's mad hustle. He's not bad on D, but he LOVES to crash the net and get in behind the boards. He does it dcecently well as a young defenseman. Should be interesting to see how he does it as a forward without defensive responsibilities to ultimately worry about.

Ugh, it's probably Hank as the others have said. I'm going to the game, that's going to be disappointing if Z isn't playing.

I sure as heck hope not...especially since I'll be there too for my first game.

Val's out with a groin injury...

Derek Meech is on left wing!!!! That's the best news ever. :)

Coach Mike Babcock said after the morning skate that Kris Draper and Tomas Holmstrom are both out tonight. Aaron Downey and Darren Helm are both in, and Derek Meech will go at left wing rather than his usual spot on defense.

Red Wing Blog

I was hoping they would try Meech as a forward. It makes sense because he showed excellent offensive skill with the puck during our injured strech, and we simply have too many quality Dmen in the pipeline for Meech to actually contribute there. Let us hope we just found another winger!

My guess would be Filppula as well (i mentioned as much in the article update here.) That thigh injury has been nagging him for the last couple of weeks and I haven't seen mention of any improvement with it since the initial mention last week.

My thinking is that they don't want to play him in the back-to-back and that he'll be getting a 3-day stretch of no game activity to hopefully help. Doesn't hurt to keep Meech relatively fresh, either, since he's No. 8 on the depth chart.

<-- Hoping to god it isn't Hank.

From the Detroit News:

Derek Meech will go from playing defense to forward Wednesday against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Meech, who last played up front as a 16-year-old in junior hockey, will be pressed to action because of injuries.

Coach Mike Babcock wouldn't reveal who is unable to play, but hinted more than one forward is banged up.

"We'll know more about it tonight," Babcock said. "We have some players who obviously aren't 100 percent. If they can play without hurting themselves, or putting themselves in a bad spot, we'll see after the warmup who is going."

Meech's reaction?

"It'll be awesome," Meech said. "I'm really excited about being in the lineup again. It's an opportunity to get back in the lineup and help the team."

Babcock said Aaron Downey, who missed two games last weekend with the flu, will play against Columbus, as will Darren Helm.

The Wings brought back Helm because Kris Draper (groin) isn't ready to play, and likely won't until Saturday in Columbus.