• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DenJ91

Active Hall of Fame players

Rate this topic

i'm not sure if this has ever been brought up before, i haven't seen it, but in anycase, i'm on the capitals forums also, and we came up with an interesting discussion about what players would make it into the hall of fame if they retired after this season. you could aslo add to this by naming players such as crosby and ovechkin, players you think would make it in, say 15 years from now but that would make our lists quite long as well so for now i'll keep it to just the original topic.

here's how i see it: (keep in mind it's called "hockey hall of fame" and not "nhl hall of fame") a couple people on the other forums forget that. i hope i don't miss someone that i just blanked on.

Locks

fedorov

brodeur

shanahan

selanne

roenick

sakic

hasek

lidstrom

sundin

jagr

modano

chelios

good shot

forsberg

recchi

kariya

belfour

s. neidermeyer

mogilny (even though he's not active i know, although he should be on a team)

outside chance (although slim)

tkachuk

roberts

lindros

kolzig

kovalev

osgood

r. blake

cujo

nolan

weight

brinda'mour

koivu

zubov

naslund

pronger

Edited by DenJ91

lindros is already retired, and although i don't like him, pronger has more than an "outside chance." i also believe kolzig's chances are every bit as good as ozzie's.

well there's nothing wrong with having an outside shot, that's a pretty good career even at that if you don't get in. i'm not all that sold on kolzig's chances, hense why i put him in that category.

scott niedermayer is an absolute lock so lets just be serious. As of 2007, Niedermayer is the only player to take home every major North American and International Championship in his career: he has won the Memorial Cup, World Junior Hockey Championship gold, World Hockey Championship gold, Olympic gold, the Stanley Cup and the World Cup. and he also has like 4 stanley cups so i think its safe to say he'll make it.

scott niedermayer is an absolute lock so lets just be serious. As of 2007, Niedermayer is the only player to take home every major North American and International Championship in his career: he has won the Memorial Cup, World Junior Hockey Championship gold, World Hockey Championship gold, Olympic gold, the Stanley Cup and the World Cup. and he also has like 4 stanley cups so i think its safe to say he'll make it.

i think falling in the "good shot" category is good enough but you make good points, i guess i could see him being a lock.

i was hoping to see more lists, rather than just commenting on mine (or both). you guys can have it totally different, doesn't bother me.

just my .002 loonie:

i am of the opinion that the hall is on the verge of becoming lax in letting too many players get inducted. the hall of fame should be comprised of players who were heads and shoulders above their contemporaries-not just frequent all stars. worthy players should be, at their peak, blinding in their talent, and beyond compare.

i love sundin, jr, and respect selanne,- those players, in my mind, were superior, often excellent. But they are not deserving of being in the rarefied air of historical greatness. they lacked that certain something that makes real greatness. they were not once in a lifetime players, legends.

like i said, just my opinion :rolleyes:

Edited by zombiewing

just my .002 loonie:

i am of the opinion that the hall is on the verge of becoming lax in letting too many players get inducted. the hall of fame should be comprised of players who were heads and shoulders above their contemporaries-not just frequent all stars. worthy players should be, at their peak, blinding in their talent, and beyond compare.

i love sundin, jr, and respect selanne,- those players, in my mind, were superior, often excellent. But they are not deserving of being in the rarefied air of historical greatness. they lacked that certain something that makes real greatness. they were not once in a lifetime players.

that said, i do think that scott stevens should get the nod. verbeek put up atmospheric numbers, but should not get in.

like i said, just my opinion :rolleyes:

i'm confused..your calling me a loonie??

as for the 3 players you named, especially sundin should get in. he's mr consistency, always leads the leafs in stats, never misses games, got them into the playoffs on his back many times, sure he doesn't have a cup or mvp but that's not neccesarily required. he does however have a gold medal though. roenick has impressive stats and to go along with it is known as one of the best american born players ever so that has to mean something. selanne is a pure goal scorer, his 76 goal season, multiple 50 goal seasons if i remember correctly. one the cup with anaheim last season. these 3 players and the players i mentioned aren't just regular all stars, they ARE head and shoulders above 98% of others throughout their career so i think if only 2% of players make it into the H.O.F. it's not too much.

sundin has put up astounding points in his career as a centreman without even one mediocre winger. the guy is a powerhouse on his own and is one of the most valuable players in the league. the guy truly bleeds blue and he plays with a passion ive only ever seen a few other guys play with. he refuses to leave toronto because he is not interested in winning a cup anywhere else and he is also the highest scoring player in maple leafs history which is one hell of an accomplishment. sundin will be in first ballot.

i think falling in the "good shot" category is good enough but you make good points, i guess i could see him being a lock.

i was hoping to see more lists, rather than just commenting on mine (or both). you guys can have it totally different, doesn't bother me.

He's a lock. As 12Newf pointed out, he's more than got the resume to be admitted, and will be.

I think Sakic would be a lock, since I didn't see him on your list anywhere.

yes thank you, he was written on the piece of paper i made of players for the thread and forgot to add him. just an error. i edited him in there now. yes absolute lock for sakic

i'm confused..your calling me a loonie??

as for the 3 players you named, especially sundin should get in. he's mr consistency, always leads the leafs in stats, never misses games, got them into the playoffs on his back many times, sure he doesn't have a cup or mvp but that's not neccesarily required. he does however have a gold medal though. roenick has impressive stats and to go along with it is known as one of the best american born players ever so that has to mean something. selanne is a pure goal scorer, his 76 goal season, multiple 50 goal seasons if i remember correctly. one the cup with anaheim last season. these 3 players and the players i mentioned aren't just regular all stars, they ARE head and shoulders above 98% of others throughout their career so i think if only 2% of players make it into the H.O.F. it's not too much.

lol...no, man, the loonie is canadien currency...i am not a name caller. i was trying to give a twist to the "two cents" figure of speech.

i can see maybe see selanne, upon further review.maybe.

but i don't think that jr's nationality should be a factor in getting a nod.

sundin is consistent, and one of the classiest players ever, but he lacks that jaw dropping, electric quality that gives one a ticket to the hall. i just do not think that he is "one of the best ever to play the game". and i think that is what one should ask about a prospective inductee, "was he among the best ever?"

this is all subjective.

just my 1/2 euro

Edited by zombiewing

Here's my list. Discuss.

Locks

brodeur

selanne

roenick

sakic

hasek

lidstrom

sundin

jagr

modano

s. neidermeyer

good shot

pronger

forsberg

recchi

kariya

chelios

r.blake

koivu

shanahan

fedorov

outside chance

tkachuk

roberts

lindros

kolzig

cujo

nolan

weight

brinda'mour

belfour

osgood

zubov

naslund

pronger

Assuming everyone's played their last game, these guys would get my vote. I didn't look up any stats or awards or anything, so hopefully it's not too out there.

F

Sergei Fedorov

Peter Forsberg

Jarome Iginla

Jaromir Jagr

Paul Kariya

Alex Kovalev

Mike Modano

Markus Naslund

Jeremy Roenick

Joe Sakic

Teemu Selanne

Brendan Shanahan

Mats Sundin

Joe Thornton

D

Rob Blake

Chris Chelios

Nick Lidstrom

Scott Niedermayer

Chris Pronger

Sergei Zubov

G

Martin Brodeur

Dominik Hasek

Curtis Joseph

Chris Osgood

i think you will come across many people on this site that disagree. he's on the fence to me.

The people on this site are blind homers if they think that Ozzie should be in the Hall of Fame. Every goalie in the Hall of Fame could steal games and playoffs series for their teams when the chips were down. Yes, all those other goalies played with legendary players, but even when those players weren't playing well, those goalies stepped it up and won for their team.

How many times has Osgood stolen playoff games or playoff series for the Wings, Islanders, and Blues?

None. To me that's why he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, and another reason is that no one who isn't a homer Wings fan thinks otherwise.

Don't you think it's ironic that only Wings fans think Ozzie should be a Hall of Famer?

The number of trophies is irrelevant. Kirk Maltby has 3 Stanley cups, Jeremy Roenick has none. Obviously Maltby is not HOF material and Roenick is. I agree Neids is a shoo in but it has nothing to do with what you mentioned.

The people on this site are blind homers if they think that Ozzie should be in the Hall of Fame. Every goalie in the Hall of Fame could steal games and playoffs series for their teams when the chips were down. Yes, all those other goalies played with legendary players, but even when those players weren't playing well, those goalies stepped it up and won for their team.

How many times has Osgood stolen playoff games or playoff series for the Wings, Islanders, and Blues?

None. To me that's why he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, and another reason is that no one who isn't a homer Wings fan thinks otherwise.

Don't you think it's ironic that only Wings fans think Ozzie should be a Hall of Famer?

ya know what i think it is, you just like to argue with me! haha. nah but i see your point and i def agree about 90% of people who think ozzie should be in the hall of fame are wings fans. i still think trying to be unbiased that he has the numbers and criteria to support hall of fame mention, although i would probably downgrade him to "outside chance" category.

as for the guy who put naslund in as a lock, i have to disagree, i'm a naslund fan but he didn't really blossum until at least a few years into his career.

and obviously i'm gonna be biased so i think fedorov is a lock, someone had him in the "good shot" category, but roenick ahead of him. i have to disagree, and i'm sure this topic will have alot of fedorov theories, but let's be serious, he has MORE than enough credentials to be a lock.

i think you will come across many people on this site that disagree. he's on the fence to me.

I like Osgood but I don't think that he is HOF material. I thought that maybe based on the number of games won that he might have an outside shot. So I went and looked up who was on the list and if they were in the HOF.

Active Players - Brodeur, Belfore, Joseph, Hasek, Osgood, Sean Burke

IN - Roy, Sawchuk, Plante, Esposito, Glen Hall, Fuhr, Gump Worsley, Billy Smith, Turk Broda

OUT - Vernon, Vanbiesbrouck, Andy Moog, Tom Barasso, Rogie Vachon, Mike Richter

This is the top 22 in all time wins. Of these 22 - 6 are still active. Of the 15 retired, 9 are in and 6 are out. I just don't see Ozzie in the company of the guys that are in.

Consider also that most of these active guys on this list are going to retire soon and many of them are shoo ins - Brodeur, Belfore, Joseph and Hasek.

I don't think that Ozzie even has an outside chance.

ya know what i think it is, you just like to argue with me! haha. nah but i see your point and i def agree about 90% of people who think ozzie should be in the hall of fame are wings fans. i still think trying to be unbiased that he has the numbers and criteria to support hall of fame mention, although i would probably downgrade him to "outside chance" category.

as for the guy who put naslund in as a lock, i have to disagree, i'm a naslund fan but he didn't really blossum until at least a few years into his career.

and obviously i'm gonna be biased so i think fedorov is a lock, someone had him in the "good shot" category, but roenick ahead of him. i have to disagree, and i'm sure this topic will have alot of fedorov theories, but let's be serious, he has MORE than enough credentials to be a lock.

I don't ever remember arguing with you, but I'll take your word for it since it happens quite a bit, especially since I get grumpy going through cold turkey before the playoffs begin. :D

I agree with you about Feds being better than Roenick, but I'll go a step further to say that Roenick shouldn't even be in the HOF.

Also, whoever suggested that Naslund and Kovalev should be in the HOF is stretching it way too far. If we're debating Roenick, Selanne, and Fedorov, then there's no reason to even debate over Kovalev or Naslund.

I don't ever remember arguing with you, but I'll take your word for it since it happens quite a bit, especially since I get grumpy going through cold turkey before the playoffs begin. :D

I agree with you about Feds being better than Roenick, but I'll go a step further to say that Roenick shouldn't even be in the HOF.

Also, whoever suggested that Naslund and Kovalev should be in the HOF is stretching it way too far. If we're debating Roenick, Selanne, and Fedorov, then there's no reason to even debate over Kovalev or Naslund.

well i did say that kovalev had a shot at it and i put naslund in the outside chance list. i don't neccesarily think either will get in but that's why i don't have them in the lock category. i think someone else post that naslund was a lock and i disagreed.

as for the arguining with me part, i think it's happened a couple times, most likely in a fedorov topic, after all i can't seem to go one topic without mentioning him. lol. it's all good anyway, i was messin' around with ya. i do recall one time you getting my back though too.