• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gutierrez

Wings won't let Stuart get away

Rate this topic

They totally can afford him next year, the year after is the question.

Zetter needs an extension and I am hoping he just takes the exact same contract Pavel did. If he does, then the Wings will add another 4 million or so onto the cap the year after.

I suppose with half of the players getting raises, the belt will have to tighten depending on the cap.

Stuart should really take a slight pay cut and stay here because his stock is falling like an eagle making love in the sky and he will prob find money out there, but will he find a good chance to repair his career?

I would advise him to take a two year deal at let us say 2.25 million.... That way he could stick around, learn grow with a team, and put up some numbers that would make him a top FA when the two years are up.

Who knows, perhaps at that point the Wings could use him even more and he would get paid 4 million, or maybe LA will be a good team again...

Stuart seems like he will be a very reliable Dman as he was in the past. On the right team he could be the number two guy. He has got nearly everything, and with some more confidence and experience he may become that player scouts were drooling over about 8 years ago.

I would advise him to take a two year deal at let us say 2.25 million....

Nope. If it ain't a 3 in front of that with a few hundred thousand dollars after it, he ain't talking. I can't blame him.

2 years, 6.8 mil. Unless he can get bigger- 5 yr, 21 mil could happen.

Not with Detroit, mind you...

I'd like to see them try to keep him. You can never have too many capable defensemen. But I don't think they can afford him.

Cap is going UP... No need for Lilja, trade Lebda and bring Ericsson...

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Chelios - Ericsson

sounds good...

I'd love for this rumor to be true.

But as others have mentioned, there's some issues. Money, his willingness to be away from California being the big two.

Hopefully playing for a winning franchise that takes care of its players will be enough to overcome those issues. The Wings could sure use him.

Money isn't a problem at all. Our younger defensmen are at the point where they're making Lilja and Lebda fight for their jobs- they're obviously capable of playing at an nhl level, and probably at the same level as Lilja and Lebda and for cheaper.

Get rid of Lilja and Lebda for an extra 1.5-2 million,

bring Meech or Quincy up permanently for just under a million, and resign Stuart for another 3.5 million.

So essentially were loosing Lilja and Lebda, and gaining Stuart, Meech/Quincy, and about half a million dollars in cap space. Plus, the cap is rising some more, so we're getting even more room.

Lids Kronwall

Rafalski Stuart

Chelios Meech/Quincy

looks fine to me

Edited by Echolalia

Money isn't a problem at all. Our younger defensmen are at the point where they're making Lilja and Lebda fight for their jobs- they're obviously capable of playing at an nhl level, and probably at the same level as Lilja and Lebda and for cheaper.

Get rid of Lilja and Lebda for an extra 1.5-2 million,

bring Meech or Quincy up permanently for just under a million, and resign Stuart for another 3.5 million.

So essentially were loosing Lilja and Lebda, and gaining Stuart, Meech/Quincy, and about half a million dollars in cap space. Plus, the cap is rising some more, so we're getting even more room.

Lids Kronwall

Rafalski Stuart

Chelios Meech/Quincy

looks fine to me

I agree with this post. No way stuart takes less than 3.5 (length of term will be an issue). I believe Lilja not taking the deal offered has put him on the outs (along wit some spotty play). Lebda is a 6-7 d'man, no more. He isn't a good passer so he rushes thepuck again and again. I don't like his style on this team one bit. i do think Lilja is a capable #6. If he would take a 1M deal, and Stuart the 3.5, I have no issue letting Meech and Lebda go and bringing up Q for the #7 spot. Great size on the blueline, coupled with great skill for each pairing.

Lilja - He is a solid #5 in this league who can kill, is durable and adds grit. Asking him to play the #4 spot is what exposes his weaknesses.

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up in Anaheim next year.

That would just make me sick. But I agree, it wouldn't be too much of a shocker. Selanne and Niedermayer can sit out long enough to fit everyone under the cap. <_<

I am not sure if the Ducks wil make sitting out a norm until the rules are changed, but I can't see many players volunterring to lose millions of dollars in income to help the club. I guess, as is the case with the ducks, it is the older vets who don't want their body's broken down and who have plenty of money in the bank.

Heck, if that IS the case, sign Stuart and give nick time off until December.

I would love to have Stuart on our Roster next year. Holland, "git-r-done"!

Me too.

Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall and Stuart. That's a great 4 core defensive group. Nothing outside of Anaheim comes close IMO.

You guys are all forgetting that Holland tried to sign Stuart last summer, and offered big money too, but he wanted to play on the west coast where his wife is from. That and the *length* of any contract are likely to be the biggest problems in trying to re-sign him.

We can sign him for $4M in 08-09 no probs, but after that.......

And are you prepared to pay $3-4M for a #4 D-man, no matter how good?

You guys are all forgetting that Holland tried to sign Stuart last summer, and offered big money too, but he wanted to play on the west coast where his wife is from. That and the *length* of any contract are likely to be the biggest problems in trying to re-sign him.

We can sign him for $4M in 08-09 no probs, but after that.......

And are you prepared to pay $3-4M for a #4 D-man, no matter how good?

Why not - we are paying $6M (for 82 games) to Kronwall...

He plays average of 47 games per season / $3M per season (47 games in his case)

Real season = 82 games

His 3m cap hit didn't kick in until this season.