• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DenJ91

NHL's disappointing players

Rate this topic

I'm more inclined to dislike Crosby because he's the poster child for everything that sucks about the 'new' NHL

I don't undestand what the beef is with everyone hating Crosby. I guess nice guys finish last or something. As I've posted before, he's not going to tell the league "Please stop marketing me". It's just not going to happen.

because your basically saying that because the guy didn't win the cup in his first playoff season, he's not lived up to his hype. it's ridiculous! i don't care if you come back with saying he just needed to get to the 2nd round, it's just as ridiculous. you can't base anything on one year in the playoffs. he did his part, it's not his fault the pens didn't make it to the 2nd round last season. give the guy 5 years in the playoffs before you say something like this. i mean seriously, i can't believe you're actually saying these things

I said nothing like that. Show me once where I said Crosby didn't live up to the hype because he didn't win the Cup his first year.

It's ok, I'll wait.....

Back to reality, what I said was this, Crosby is a disappointment because he didn't get his team out of the first round. In addition, the Pens didn't even compete with the Sens.

Again, the Pens were a playoff team without Crosby, so having Crosby on the team didn't take the team any further.

Guest QuackQuack

Enough of the Crosby bashing and the Lidstrom suck fest. Lids isn't the best in the league, hes the best defenseman. Hes not DOMINATING the league like Orr. Hes not even dominating like Ovechkin, Malkin or Iginla.

Crosby is in no way a disappointment. Hes on pace to be one of the top ten forwards of all time. If he never wins a championship, then yes, he may be a disappointment but that can be said for alot of players.

Getting back to the most disappointing players, my pick is Pavel Brendl. In his draft year, he was being hyped as the next Mike Bossy. He set scoring records in the WHL and is the only reason Kris Beech was drafted so high.

The most disappointing thing is that hes playing in Sweden and dominating like he should in the NHL.

Daigle was just overhyped but he had a respectable career.

Viktor Kozlov should be on everyones list. He was considered the "Russian Lemieux" before the draft and has been nothing but a third liner, on terrible teams, at best.

How many playoffs has Sidney Crosby been in?

Don't hurt yourself looking, the answer is 1.

Take a look at the Pens kids, Whitney, Fleury, Staal, Malkin, Crosby, exactly how much playoff experience did they combined?

NONE OF THEM EVER PLAYED IN THE PLAYOFFS BEFORE AND THEY LOST TO THE EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMP OTTAWA SENATORS.

What was he supposed to do win the Stanley Cup his first year in the playoffs? Steve Yzerman and quite a few Wings players didn't win Cups their first time in the playoffs. Most first time playoff teams don't do very well in case you didn't know that.

Sorry for yelling but I have to be emphatic on this. So in your eyes he is a dissapointment because in his first playoff year, surrounded by players in key positions (including Goalie) playing in their first every playoffs and losing in the first round to the EC champs means he's a dissapointment?

Maybe you should look at it in these terms:

His rookie year the Pens only won 22 games

His second year the Pens won 47 games and made the playoffs, that's one hell of an improvement. Of course Malkin's arrival helped but regardless, Sid still won the Hart, Ross and Pearson at 20 years of age.

If you think he's a dissapointment at least provide some evidence that would help your position and not hinder it.

That's funny, I was under the impression that between Roberts, Laraque, and Gonchar not only was there playoff experience, but a few Cups as well.

Again, I never said Crosby was a disappointment because he didn't win the Cup, so why are you trying to make it out to be like that?

I said Crosby is a disappointment because he didn't get his team out of the first round. They would have been there without Crosby no question.

The best part about this is you want me to provide proof for an argument that is pure opinion.

But it's nice to see that you are still being the 'asshat' you've always been, somethings never change.

I said nothing like that. Show me once where I said Crosby didn't live up to the hype because he didn't win the Cup his first year.

It's ok, I'll wait.....

Back to reality, what I said was this, Crosby is a disappointment because he didn't get his team out of the first round. In addition, the Pens didn't even compete with the Sens.

Again, the Pens were a playoff team without Crosby, so having Crosby on the team didn't take the team any further.

you didn't say the cup, and i even said you didn't say that, read my post. but you did say he's a disappointment based on just one season of him being in the playoffs and not getting out of the first round. that's honestly one of the dumbest things i've ever read, and you're alone here. others who have responded even agree that is an absurd thing to say. you do realize that like gordiesid said even yzerman and so many other legends didn't get their teams out of the first round let alone into the playoffs their first few seasons. AND the sens ended up making it to the cup finals, they were the team to beat, not the pens last year. so i'm moving on from this, it's so dumb it's hurting my head. i'll look forward to you saying better things in another thread. not trying to be disrespectful honest, this is a forum afterall. i don't like arguing with a fellow fedorov fan, it's just not right.

Edited by DenJ91

Guest QuackQuack

I'll throw Jason Spezza's name into the ring. Its been a few seasons now but he got nearly the same hype as Crosby did. He made the World Junior team at age 15 and dominated the "O".

Considering the ice time, linemates and team that hes played for, he really hasn't lived up to expectations. Im not saying hes not one of the top ten centers in the league but certainly not living up to the "Ron Francis" comparisons.

I'll throw Jason Spezza's name into the ring. Its been a few seasons now but he got nearly the same hype as Crosby did. He made the World Junior team at age 15 and dominated the "O".

Considering the ice time, linemates and team that hes played for, he really hasn't lived up to expectations. Im not saying hes not one of the top ten centers in the league but certainly not living up to the "Ron Francis" comparisons.

OMG i'm starting to regret making this topic, what is wrong with some people!!! SPEZZA??? geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

Every talented player entering the NHL gets compared to some Hall of Fame player. It's stupid, but that's the way it's always done. Spezza has been very good so far, although a lot of it is due to playing with Heatley and Alfie. I don't think he's been a disappointment in any way, though. Yeah, he sucked in the Finals last year, but so did the whole team.

OMG i'm starting to regret making this topic, what is wrong with some people!!! SPEZZA??? geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

You know that Mario Lemieux guy was a disappontment also. Everyone said he'd be the next Gretzky, yet he's about 1,000 points behind Gretzky on the all time scoring list.

Can you say overhyped?

you didn't say the cup, and i even said you didn't say that, read my post. but you did say he's a disappointment based on just one season of him being in the playoffs and not getting out of the first round. that's honestly one of the dumbest things i've ever read, and you're alone here. others who have responded even agree that is an absurd thing to say. you do realize that like gordiesid said even yzerman and so many other legends didn't get their teams out of the first round let alone into the playoffs their first few seasons. AND the sens ended up making it to the cup finals, they were the team to beat, not the pens last year. so i'm moving on from this, it's so dumb it's hurting my head. i'll look forward to you saying better things in another thread. not trying to be disrespectful honest, this is a forum afterall.

So tell me what I should base my opinion of Crosby on? Please, I'd love to hear this.

What you are implying is that I am wrong for basing my opinion of Crosby on what he has done, and not what he could do. That is absurd.

It's like still holding out hope for Brendl. I mean, after all, he could come back the NHL and dominate, couldn't he? Everyone knows he is washed up, and playing in Sweden for a reason.

Come on, seriously, give me one good reason why I shouldn't base my opinion of Crosby on what Crosby has done.

And no, what other players have done doesn't mean jack.

So tell me what I should base my opinion of Crosby on? Please, I'd love to hear this.

What you are implying is that I am wrong for basing my opinion of Crosby on what he has done, and not what he could do. That is absurd.

It's like still holding out hope for Brendl. I mean, after all, he could come back the NHL and dominate, couldn't he? Everyone knows he is washed up, and playing in Sweden for a reason.

Come on, seriously, give me one good reason why I shouldn't base my opinion of Crosby on what Crosby has done.

And no, what other players have done doesn't mean jack.

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY OPINION ON CROSBY BEING A DISAPPOINTMENT, THAT'S MY POINT!!!!!! his name should never have been brought up, nobody agrees with you. my god i give up!

This thread is about expectations of players and not living up to them, fundamentally how can a player have lived up to any expectations if they are in their third professional year and under the legal drinking age!

People expect him to be the next great player for his career not just a couple of seasons. Pavel Bure if he had played the average career # of games would have been phenomenal, what if AO, Crosby, Malkin turn out to be fragile or turn out to be the next Chelios and play until they are 50. WHO THE HELL KNOWS!!!

It is physically impossible for someone who is an 8th into their career to have lived up to any expectations.

There was a point in time when people were saying Joe Thornton was overhyped (Boston Media) and that he wasn't scoring enough. Those people look like fools. Let the kids mature and develop into their bodies, then be in their prime, then retire before you say they have lived up to any expectations!

Edit: Before you think I am saying he will play 21 years it was an exaggeration!

Edited by Opie

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY OPINION ON CROSBY BEING A DISAPPOINTMENT, THAT'S MY POINT!!!!!! his name should never have been brought up, nobody agrees with you. my god i give up!

Ok, so I see your point now. You don't agree with my opinion, hence it's wrong. I get it. Since your opinion is different, my is wrong. The world makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Hey everyone, Crosby is the second coming of christ, DenJ91 said so.

Yeah really.

To even consider the possibility of maybe giving some thought to the idea that you might one day dream about commenting that Crosby has been a disappointment is wrong.

To say Crosby is a disappointment is ridiculous. What more did you expect him to do? Score 250 pts in one of his first two seasons? If it wasn't for the ankle injury - he would most likely be right up there in points with Ovechkin and Malkin.

Claiming that a guy is a disappointment based on the fact that another player, who wasn't hyped quite as much as he was, is doing just as good as Sidney is crazy.

I would like to see how many hockey analysts or players around the league view Crosby as a disappointment...but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Those are some lofty expectations though.

Edit -

P.S. I also understand some people have personal vendetta's out on Crosby for some strange reason - like he is so young, and good, and makes so much money. Or that he gets more attention than everyone else. Give it a rest, it was old 2 years ago.

Edited by Yzerfan1999

Ok, so I see your point now. You don't agree with my opinion, hence it's wrong. I get it. Since your opinion is different, my is wrong. The world makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, sometimes they are clearly wrong. This is one of those times. :)

I was disappointed in Dandenault. What wheels! What a waste!

I am not sure if it was all of his fault-"today a defenseman, tomorrow a forward".

Sorry, I just wanted to leave all of the crosby-talk for a second. thanks .

Edited by zombiewing

no need to be a smart ass. aparently i'm the ONLY one telling you you're ridiculous, read back. in fact two more people just chimed in how wrong you are yet i'm the one who's picked out. i'm not discussing this anymore. how crosby and disappointment came up in the same sentence blows my mind.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, sometimes they are clearly wrong. This is one of those times. :)

THANK YOU!!!

and yes zombie, let's leave the crosby stupidity behind. back to normal players.

Hey, why don't a few of the "Crosby lovers/haters" in this thread make your own thread up about him and then you can like/love/hate/ him in it till he wins a cup or two. I was hoping this thread would be about picks or players that received a lot of hype but never panned out If anyone thinks winning an Art Ross and a Hart is "not panning out" then they should just go hit themselves in the head with a large hammer till they can't feel it anymore.

Now back on topic; a couple players that I remember who went fairly high in the draft but never accomplished much in the NHL were Joe Murphy and Pavel Brendl. The Wings took Murphy fairly high in the draft (1st overall, lol) and had really high hopes for him but he didn't work out for them and ended up being shipped off to Edmonton and then Chicago where he had a few moderately successful seasons but never lived up to the "1st Overall" tag. Brendl had an amazing WHL career and was drafted by the Rangers (then dealt to Flyers) fairly high (4th overall) as well. He was a huge disappointment for them after being compared to Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny while in Junior. He scored 73, 59 and 40 goals in 3 seasons with the Calgary Hitmen so you can see where the scouts might have got the idea he would be an elite scorer in the NHL.

Exactly, yout opinion is clearly wrong in this case. Sorry.

It is just impossible to call him a dissapointment this early in his career. For all you know the Penguins could become a dynasty in the next couple years because of him. (but lets hope not)

WOW, your dissapointed in crosby? he's easily averaging over a point per game as a teenager, won the mvp his 2nd year, if he wasn't hurt this year he'd be in the running for mvp again and probably would have led the league in pts and the penquins in 1st place in the east. he might play tonight and the penguins have a good chance at winning the cup this year. i'd say he's been nothing short of amazing and just about everything he's been hyped to be and he's not in his prime yet.

and to the guy who said petr klima. ok so he had a downward 2nd half of his career but he had injuries and such, but for a while the guy was scoring 30 and 40 goals even one year. he finished with over 300 goals and close to 600 pts. i'd say that's pretty successful. i don't think klima was ever hyped enough to be called a disappointment.

not to mention playing with a broken foot last year (crosby)

Wasnt Maxim Afinogenov suppose to be a 30+ goal scorer. I mean he has had some good season but his talent makes it seem like he should be better.

He is not a real disappointment but more was expected of him.

yeah i agree, i don't know what the deal is with maxim. always a let down, shame though he's so exciting to watch. he's still a threat though every time he's on the ice, just don't know why he doesn't score more. i mean i even traded for him in nhl 08 and i can't score with him, he doesn't finish!! lol