• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

They've sort of been on a tear lately, and are beating the Wild right now 5-2 *end of the 2nd* if they win tonight they are up at 83 points putting them ahead of the Preds in 9th place, and one point behind the Avs for the final spot. I'm hoping the Avs win tonight because if this continues it's likely that they somehow make it and I don't want them to. The Oilers, for whatever reason, still scare me.

I'm too lazy to do all the math and what not to see how many they'd need to win or can't lose in order to make it, but im hoping they don't.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

They've sort of been on a tear lately, and are beating the Wild right now 5-2 *end of the 2nd* if they win tonight they are up at 83 points putting them ahead of the Preds in 9th place, and one point behind the Avs for the final spot. I'm hoping the Avs win tonight because if this continues it's likely that they somehow make it and I don't want them to. The Oilers, for whatever reason, still scare me.

I'm too lazy to do all the math and what not to see how many they'd need to win or can't lose in order to make it, but im hoping they don't.

Anything is possible, it's not like they are mathematically screwed or anything thus far. But I believe it is little too late to surge and slide on in. You really would need a team or two like Vancouver, Nashville, and Colorado to slide into playing poorly. The odds are against them, but I guess we will see.

Edited by miller76

They're playing great hockey as of late.

Granted I didn't get to see this game but I can't disagree more. They've been playing okay but are very sloppy. Far from great. They've been extraordinarily lucky to get this close. They're definitely not a playoff calibre team.

That being said, they might make it but needing other teams to lose is certainly not an ideal situation to be in.

Edited by Doggy

The what-ifs.....

The East is great for drama!

I am still betting on a Avs/Wings 1st round match-up. Won't that be great?? Mac and Foote/Floppa....

It's like Seether said.....Good God, it’s the changin’ of the seasons

The Oliers are nothing to worry about, even if they do make it. While not the ideal first round opponent, they are very beatable. This streak aside, their goal tending has been sub par. Unexperienced core of forwards. Nothing on defense. The good thing about streaks, they all come to an end. And at least if we do get the Oilers, we won't have to hear about how the Wings are far to soft to win the series. I'd take Aaron Downey over Zack Stortini any day.

Exactly why I've been cheering on the Oilers.

damn right! i have definitely been cheering for them and since there is no shootout in the playoffs i wouldnt mind playing them. it would be completely crazy though if they somehow make the playoffs and they really do have a decent chance.

I still think it's a joke that they're this close to the playoffs with their 15 shootout wins.

Really? To me, the fact that they are making the tear they are is amazing given the injury situation they've had to overcome this year.

Sure, SO wins are ticky-tacky points but you have to play decent hockey for 65 minutes just to have the opportunity to get those in the first place.

At least they're screwing Anaheim out of a top draft pick.

Exactly why I've been cheering on the Oilers.

And I... :sly:

Schedule:

@ Wild

@ Avalanche

@ Flames (2nd half of back-to-back, after travelling from Denver)

vs Flames

@ Canucks

it will be tough.... beating the Avs is a must....

I still think it's a joke that they're this close to the playoffs with their 15 shootout wins.

I didn't know if it was worth it's own thread, but when the dust settles and the playoff matchups are set, I'll be really curious to see how big of a factor shootout points were. With the races as close as they are, it seems like a few shootout wins or losses could make the difference.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Really? To me, the fact that they are making the tear they are is amazing given the injury situation they've had to overcome this year.

Sure, SO wins are ticky-tacky points but you have to play decent hockey for 65 minutes just to have the opportunity to get those in the first place.

Sure it's good for them that they're in the race despite their injuries. But you said it yourself, they play "decent hockey" for 65 minutes. They didn't play well enough in 18 games or whatever it is to win, but they got the extra point in 15 of them because they have 3 guys who are good at breakaways? I can't see how that justifies a playoff spot.

I didn't know if it was worth it's own thread, but when the dust settles and the playoff matchups are set, I'll be really curious to see how big of a factor shootout points were. With the races as close as they are, it seems like a few shootout wins or losses could make the difference.

Oh you know they're going to in a few cases. With only 5 points separating the current last 4 playoff spots in the East, and only 3 in the West, I'm sure that the extra points for shootouts are going to make or break more than one team.

without Bettman's points Oilers would be dead last ar nearly dead last in West.

do they deserve a playoff spot? hell no. can they make it? yes, but I certainly hope

they won't make it. that would be hell unfair to such Dives who at least put some

effort into regular season and played solid hockey despite being short on core guys

like Sakic, Smyth or Stastny. I definitely want Dives to get the playoff spot ahead

of Oilers. though, I don't mind if they screw cheater Burke from draft picks

i don't think they will make it ... i think nashville will probably finish ahead of them ... edmonton has 83 points w/ 5 games left - minnesota, colorado, 2 vs calgary, and vancouver ... nashville has 82 pts but 6 games left - columbus twice, us, st louis twice, and chicago ... a much easier schedule and a game in hand ... unless they can will all of their remaining games i think edmonton will likely finish 10th ... the question is, can nashville catch colorado, who has 86 points and 5 games left - edmonton, vancouver twice, minnesota twice ... i think if colorado can win 3 of the 5 they're in ...

Guest nutz2u

If the Avs just win 2 of their remaining 5 games the Oil would have to win 4 of 5 and Nashville would have to pickup 9 of 12 points. I don't think either will happen. Wings will play the Avs in the first round.