• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

without Bettman's points Oilers would be dead last ar nearly dead last in West.

do they deserve a playoff spot? hell no. can they make it? yes, but I certainly hope

they won't make it. that would be hell unfair to such Dives who at least put some

effort into regular season and played solid hockey despite being short on core guys

like Sakic, Smyth or Stastny. I definitely want Dives to get the playoff spot ahead

of Oilers. though, I don't mind if they screw cheater Burke from draft picks

I'm kind of mixed on this. I'd love to see the divealanche miss the playoffs again, but at the same time I'd love for the Wings to play them in the 1st round and sweep them. I guess we'll just have to sit back and let things naturally progress.

oh well... even though i hate the oilers gotta hand it to them for doing so well with so many players out for the season. But a high draft pick would be nice considering it is a given that teemu is going bye bye next season... :ranting:

Edited by Duck Guy

oh well... even though i hate the oilers gotta hand it to them for doing so well with so many players out for the season. But a high draft pick would be nice considering it is a given that teemu is going bye bye next season... :ranting:

He will be gone until right before the trade deadline and be 100% for the Ducks playoff run next year. :thumbup:

That Colorado win last night pretty much killed Chicago's chances - as slim as they were. But for all those who think the Leafs can still make it might as well give Edmonton an even better chance. Edmonton plays against the teams they need to pass so, to me they have to go 4-0-1 at worst to make it. Even then they probably miss. cause that is only 92 points. Avalanche can go 2-1-2 as worst and still make it. I would love to see Vancouver out of the playoffs. PERIOD!!! Luongo and that style is the worst for the Wings.

Sure it's good for them that they're in the race despite their injuries. But you said it yourself, they play "decent hockey" for 65 minutes. They didn't play well enough in 18 games or whatever it is to win, but they got the extra point in 15 of them because they have 3 guys who are good at breakaways? I can't see how that justifies a playoff spot.

Oh you know they're going to in a few cases. With only 5 points separating the current last 4 playoff spots in the East, and only 3 in the West, I'm sure that the extra points for shootouts are going to make or break more than one team.

But its also not enough to fault them for it either. It's not their fault the rules are set up that way, and if the Wings had won 15 games via shootout most members of this board would be saying the exact same thing I am rather than knocking them.

If you don't like the SO that's one thing (I don't care for it either), but to fault a team because they are successful at is another given that they didn't set the rules for it in the first place.

Also, lets not take anything away from them regarding their injuries. Look what happened to the Wings when the injury bug hit them. Now, look at the mountain the Oilers had to climb and SO wins or not, its damn impressive.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

It's highly unlikely Edmonton makes it in. I think the the probability of playing Colorado in the first round is high enough to consider it a lock unless there is a drastic losing streak by a team. I really believe the Wings are too good to have a first round exit this year even with Osgood.

I'm actually wondering about the second round matchups. If the top 4 seeds beat the bottom 4 we play Anaheim in the 2nd round and if we get past them, another juggernaut in the 3rd round.

If there is a 3-6 upset we could face Minnesota, Dallas, Calgary or Vancouver depending on how they finish. Also, San Jose would play Anaheim in the 2nd round. I find this scenario more favorable. We wouldn't get stuck playing 2 of the big 3 (Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim) like we did last year. That 3rd seed looks a lot weaker than the others in the top 4 which will benefit San Jose if the 3rd seed gets past the 1st round.

Hope there is a 3-6 upset!

But its also not enough to fault them for it either. It's not their fault the rules are set up that way, and if the Wings had won 15 games via shootout most members of this board would be saying the exact same thing I am rather than knocking them.

If you don't like the SO that's one thing (I don't care for it either), but to fault a team because they are successful at is another given that they didn't set the rules for it in the first place.

Also, lets not take anything away from them regarding their injuries. Look what happened to the Wings when the injury bug hit them. Now, look at the mountain the Oilers had to climb and SO wins or not, its damn impressive.

I'm not saying what they're doing isn't impressive. I'm saying it's stupid that they have a chance to do it in the 1st place. As for your point about the Wings... well my problem isn't just that they have 15 shootout wins, it's that it's so far ahead of what everyone else has. If every game for every team went to a shootout then that would be fine, but they're in them so often. Plain and simple, those are games they didn't deserve to win. I'm not saying they deserved to lose them either, but...

I'm not faulting Edmonton for having those extra 15 points. I'm just saying that a 15 point difference is hugely significant come the end of the season, and the NHL is stupid for giving teams like Edmonton a chance they don't deserve.

I'm not so much against getting the 2 points for a shoot out win as I am against 3 point games. If you take out all the OT or SO losses this is how the standings would look:

Det 100

SJ 90

MN 80

Ana 86

Dal 84

Col 80

Cal 78

Edm 78

Van 76

Edited by csdan

I'm not saying what they're doing isn't impressive. I'm saying it's stupid that they have a chance to do it in the 1st place. As for your point about the Wings... well my problem isn't just that they have 15 shootout wins, it's that it's so far ahead of what everyone else has. If every game for every team went to a shootout then that would be fine, but they're in them so often. Plain and simple, those are games they didn't deserve to win. I'm not saying they deserved to lose them either, but...

I'm not faulting Edmonton for having those extra 15 points. I'm just saying that a 15 point difference is hugely significant come the end of the season, and the NHL is stupid for giving teams like Edmonton a chance they don't deserve.

Bingo

That's the key, the NHL gave the Oilers the chance they don't deserve. That being said, EDM took full advantage of it.

Bingo

That's the key, the NHL gave the Oilers the chance they don't deserve. That being said, EDM took full advantage of it.

Not tonight they didn't.

It's still mathematically possible that they do make it, but considering that the majority of their remaining games are road games, it seems unlikely. Tonight was a must win game for them, but they couldn't beat Minnesota. They looked really flat, which is surprising, considering how well they've played lately.

Oh well. Hopefully they get the 9th seed, for obvious reasons already stated, which involve a certain GM of a certain Pacific Division team. :P

Oilers are done & so are the Preds......we will see either Avs or Luongo! Bring 'em on!

Predators are just 2 points behind Canucks. with 5 games left to play for both.

and the problem is it's Preds who have better chance of coming on top. see:

Preds

Fri, Mar 28 at Columbus 7:00 pm

Sun, Mar 30 at Detroit 3:00 pm

Tue, Apr 1 at St. Louis 8:30 pm

Thu, Apr 3 St. Louis 8:00 pm

Fri, Apr 4 at Chicago 8:30 pm

Canucks

Fri, Mar 28 at Minnesota 8:00 pm

Sun, Mar 30 Calgary 10:00 pm

Tue, Apr 1 Colorado 10:00 pm

Thu, Apr 3 Edmonton 10:00 pm

Sat, Apr 5 Calgary 10:00 pm

I really, really don't see Canucks coming through here. and it frankly makes

me happy about that. even more knowing that Wings are perfectly able to

"give" Preds those 2 points and have them in 1st round rather than

Bobby Lou :)

With a loss last night to Minny, the Oilers are all but finished.

It would be a great story, but it won't happen. They are stuck in the same boat as Toronto, mediocre finishes for the past few years not helping them out with attracting ufa's or getting good draft picks.

Would've been a nice story, but they blew it. But they cost Anaheim a decent pick, and now Nashville are probably gonna grab the 8th spot.

I doubt it. I hope they do though. Vanluongo is a much bigger threat.