• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Red Wings Broadcasts on Satellite - Questions

Rate this topic

I'm pretty sure I am assuming correctly, but I want to confirm with locals and others with Direct TV or Dish.

In all likelihood I will be buying and moving into a new house in a few weeks, and in all likelihood I'm going to order Direct TV service with their sports package offering (i.e. all FSN Sports Channels, CBS College Sports, Comcast, Sun, et al).

FSN Detroit broadcasts pretty much Wings game that isn't on any national broadcast right?

Basically I don't want to purchase Center Ice next year unless I absolutely have to. I can live with missing a Wings game here and there and if I'm mostly covered watching Wings games on FSN Detroit just ordering the Direct TV Sports Package, then I'm not going to get Center Ice (Direct TV has a general offering that includes Versus and NHL Network independent of Center Ice, which is the general package I plan to get).

Also, if I don't get Center Ice but this sports package, the games aren't blacked out because of no Center Ice right? Can anybody with Direct TV (or Dish Service) confirm or am I failing to consider something?

I'd also like to know. I've had the same thought the past couple of months. Being in California, I think I've seen 4 wings game on TV. The one that wasn't nationally televised was on a free preview of Center Ice. But if I can get 90% of televised Wings game without getting Center Ice on direct TV, I'd love to know.

I'm pretty sure I am assuming correctly, but I want to confirm with locals and others with Direct TV or Dish.

In all likelihood I will be buying and moving into a new house in a few weeks, and in all likelihood I'm going to order Direct TV service with their sports package offering (i.e. all FSN Sports Channels, CBS College Sports, Comcast, Sun, et al).

FSN Detroit broadcasts pretty much Wings game that isn't on any national broadcast right?

Basically I don't want to purchase Center Ice next year unless I absolutely have to. I can live with missing a Wings game here and there and if I'm mostly covered watching Wings games on FSN Detroit just ordering the Direct TV Sports Package, then I'm not going to get Center Ice (Direct TV has a general offering that includes Versus and NHL Network independent of Center Ice, which is the general package I plan to get).

Also, if I don't get Center Ice but this sports package, the games aren't blacked out because of no Center Ice right? Can anybody with Direct TV (or Dish Service) confirm or am I failing to consider something?

Getting Center Ice is your best bet to catch Wings games if you are out of the Detroit market. I tried getting that extra sports package, and they black out almost all of the major sports events not in your local area.

However, it would be pointless to get Center Ice this year as they don't broadcast playoff games past the first round, if any at all.

Getting Center Ice is your best bet to catch Wings games if you are out of the Detroit market. I tried getting that extra sports package, and they black out almost all of the major sports events not in your local area.

However, it would be pointless to get Center Ice this year as they don't broadcast playoff games past the first round, if any at all.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, assuming I do move, during summer time and MLB games (FSN Southwest for Houston Astros games, FSN Detroit for Tigers, FSN Bay or West I am assuming for Dodgers, Padres, Angels etc.).

I'm probably still going to get this package though because the conference that my college is in has it's own network, pretty much like the Big Ten Network, and as of now it will only be broadcasted on Direct TV starting next college football season, and hopefully on the sports package or the amount of channel package I plan on buying.

EDIT: 'Tis is the case unfortunately, I just called my parents for a few minutes who also have Direct TV (of course I figured this out way after the thread creation :lol:) but don't have Center Ice or NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings or any of that stuff, and they couldn't find the game either on FSN Detroit or FSN Midwest for the St. Louis Blues.

Ah well, sucks to be forced to spend more money but I can certainly understand why they'd be blacked out in this situation.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Dad has DirecTv Center Ice at home and gets Wings games on about 7 different channels. Also Center Ice on DirecTv is often broadcast in HD, which Time Warner does not.

I have direct TV and have only watched 2-3 games on the Center Ice Package, I got the sports package(all the fox sports channels) and between Versus-NHLN-Fox sports haven't needed Center Ice.

I have direct TV and have only watched 2-3 games on the Center Ice Package, I got the sports package(all the fox sports channels) and between Versus-NHLN-Fox sports haven't needed Center Ice.

Apologies in advance to all for bumping a quiet thread back up and whoring my thread, but I'm curious to this response. I thought that you had to purchase NHL Center Ice (or MLB Extra Innings/NBA League Pass) for games to be seen in just about most instances when a team isn't in your local market. Am I not mistaken in assuming that you can have all of the FSN Sports channels for instance, but they cut off right before the game starts then cut back on at the conclusion of them?

Regardless of that, after some coaxing from my parents and brother who I will be moving near, and some number crunching, I'm probably just going to go with the local cable provider in the area I am moving to, which is actually different than the one I am currently at despite only moving about 30 miles away.

Even with the benefits of "saving" in the first year of Direct TV, I still would have to get separate Internet access which would be more expensive by itself, and it would still cost more the first year than the cable provder + their Internet services bundled together.

I lose the NHL Network by going with this cable provider (I have it at current residence), but I have backup options. I know of a few bars that have pretty much every Direct TV sports station, plus my parents have Direct TV at their place. Even if I didn't luck out with it being slightly "inconvenient" to see it, it still wouldn't have killed me missing maybe 5-8 games a year that might be blacked out, especially if I'm saying nearly $600 a year with cable + Internet involved.

Thankfully they do offer NHL Center Ice still, and Versus is actually a local channel where I'm moving, which is also cool b/c if my college's games don't have the option of coming on ESPN. Just CSTV and Versus and their own sports network (will have to go somewhere with Direct TV but got that covered).