• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

Mac is Playing on Friday

Rate this topic

Wooooooo!!

I've been waiting for this since I first read about him with Flint. I'm so proud of Darren, and happy that we'll get to see 25 on the ice again. The Joe is gonna be effin rocking on Friday!

I really hope he gets in a couple scraps, like taking on someone like Mayers or Backes. Hopefully(probably not because it is Babs), we could see Mac, Downey and Drake all in the line-up at the same time.

Maybe I am spoiled but I know the injuries that Yzerman played through, the flu just seems like it is something that could be played through...

Clearly you've never had the flu. The flu is not just a heavy cold.

I had it new year and spent all day lying in bed with a temperature but felt freezing cold, covered in sweat but couldn't stop shivering. I was watching Sharpe on telly and went to sleep praying that England would win the Peninsular War (it actually finished in 1814) because I was delirious.

The Spanish Flu killed 50 million people in 1919

Its not like a sore ankle that you can just grit your teeth and skate through it. You've also got to remember that Dom is like a thorougbred - if he's not 100% mentally and physically he is usually terrible.

Finally "the flu" is usually hockey team speak for someone having the pukes and the sh*ts - but who knows in this case. We had a stomach bug go round work last summer, virtually everyone was off for 2 or 3 days, one poor bloke was off for over a month and lost a ton of weight. So who knows?

Even before he skates onto the JLA ice: Mac > Downey.

And you can bet Holland reunites the Grind line once again.

If only for a minute, seeing #25 back on the ice will surely bring a tear or two and much excitement back to any and ALL Wings fans. I cannot wait!!

Years ago, without question. Saying Mac is better than Downey now, that's pushing it until we see what McCarty does on the ice. Babcock sets up the lines as well, not the GM.

Years ago, without question. Saying Mac is better than Downey now, that's pushing it until we see what McCarty does on the ice. Babcock sets up the lines as well, not the GM.

The blues were out to inflict as much pain as possible on the wings the last outing. I hope his ribs are ready to go becasue they are going to be tested big time on Friday night. Better keep that head up!

I don't understand where some of you are coming from, with this notion of dropping the gloves right a way. He is coming off the IR with broken ribs, why would he jeopardize his playing time. Why would management allow this to happen,he is here for insurance & experience, he is here for depth. Sure, he will be tested, but he not here to play policeman, he's here for grit and as an example of drive & desire! Go Mac!

From the Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...BLOG09/80326055

I just spoke to general manager Ken Holland this Wednesday afternoon, and he told me Darren McCarty will play this Friday against the St. Louis Blues.

Holland hadn't yet heard the results on Tomas Holmstrom, who underwent testing today for a groin injury that has sidelined him since March 5.

McCarty joined the Wings earlier this month after a stint with Grand Rapids, but his return had been delayed by sore ribs. Now he's healthy, and the Wings are anxious to see what he can contribute. McCarty played for the Wings from 1993-94 to 2003-04, and the team bought out his contract in the summer of 2005.

“From my perspective, I’m excited for him, and I’m hopeful for our team,” Holland said. “We’ve got two weeks to find out if we got someone who can give us some ingredients, who can make us a little deeper headed into the playoffs.”

Holland also said Filppula (groin, knee), "felt great today, and if he skates again tomorrow and doesn't have a setback, I anticipate we'll see him Friday."

Dallas Drake (sternum) is also feeling better, and is a maybe for Friday. Dominik Hasek has so serious a case of flu he's on antibiotics, Holland said, and if Hasek doesn't feel better by tomorrow, Holland anticipates having Jimmy Howard back up Chris Osgood on Friday

I so hope that flip is playing friday thats is going to be my first red wings game ever! how messed up is it that my favorite player is healthy all year and the week before i go to my game, he gets hurt. <_<

its a bunch of crap. ill be happy if Mac gets into a good fight. Thank god Cleary is back and i get to see him play!

I don't understand where some of you are coming from, with this notion of dropping the gloves right a way. He is coming off the IR with broken ribs, why would he jeopardize his playing time. Why would management allow this to happen,he is here for insurance & experience, he is here for depth. Sure, he will be tested, but he not here to play policeman, he's here for grit and as an example of drive & desire! Go Mac!

I am not refering to fighting,I'm just saying with checking. St. Louis was head hunting the Tuesday night. Mac hasn't played a nhl paced game in a while and they will try to take advantage of that.

Scared the hell out of me seeing Kronwall going flying around the other night. Wasn't it right around this time last year that we lost him before the playoffs?

I know if management thought he wasn't ready....he wouldn't be out there. This is a scary time to be tested, but, this is hockey and unfortunely, this is the moment! I heard Babs say in an interview about playing safe by keeping our heads up through the remainder of the season,because guys who are not in, are fighting for jobs next year. They like playing the spoiler as well. Pride is an interesting tool.

Id rather Mac take Zetts or Dats spot on Friday. The only thing the Wings are playing for right now is to not get hurt. Based on the cheapshots from the last two games against St Louis Id rather have Dats or Pav get a day off for rest and protection.

Clearly you've never had the flu. The flu is not just a heavy cold.

I had it new year and spent all day lying in bed with a temperature but felt freezing cold, covered in sweat but couldn't stop shivering. I was watching Sharpe on telly and went to sleep praying that England would win the Peninsular War (it actually finished in 1814) because I was delirious.

The Spanish Flu killed 50 million people in 1919

Its not like a sore ankle that you can just grit your teeth and skate through it. You've also got to remember that Dom is like a thorougbred - if he's not 100% mentally and physically he is usually terrible.

Finally "the flu" is usually hockey team speak for someone having the pukes and the sh*ts - but who knows in this case. We had a stomach bug go round work last summer, virtually everyone was off for 2 or 3 days, one poor bloke was off for over a month and lost a ton of weight. So who knows?

True I suppose your right. Ofcourse the older cases of the flu are not a fair example really, considering the modern med have come a long way since then. I guess I am just a little concerned. I have had the flu, twice, just last year was the last. Maybe just because I had a minor case but I was only off for one day. Took some meds and I was not a hundred % but I was back on my feet at work. The first time I was in Korea and we were in the middle of a really long training excercise. i came down with it and that day was horrible, long and exhuasting. I slept all day in a trailor, it was 95 degress and painful. The next day I was fully operational. I don't know I guess the older you are the harder it is to get over. Dom is an antique... LOL!!! Well Dom, get better soon.

I know if management thought he wasn't ready....he wouldn't be out there. This is a scary time to be tested, but, this is hockey and unfortunely, this is the moment! I heard Babs say in an interview about playing safe by keeping our heads up through the remainder of the season,because guys who are not in, are fighting for jobs next year. They like playing the spoiler as well. Pride is an interesting tool.

I disagree. There is absolutely nothing to lose by playing him now. Besides whoever he replaces won't get injured. If this was game one of the playoff's I would not understand the point. But the last few boring games between the same 3-4 teams they have been since March 1st...

Guest Crymson
Umm, the flu is a viral infection. You can't treat it with antibiotics or much of anything for that matter. Either Holland doesn't know the difference between antibiotics and antiviral medications or he's blowing smoke. If he is indeed on antiviral medication for the flu it is probably quite severe as more often than not it's not prescribed except in the worst cases. I had the flu and its after-effects incredibly bad January-February and went to the doctor three times as it wasn't getting better and they still wouldn't put me on any antivirals and he said I had a horrible case of it.

I'll just say this again: the goalie decision will absolutely go down to the wire.

The flu is a bacterial illness.

Guest micah

I'm hoping for Mac's sake that he doesn't try to prove he's still "got it" by taking on DJ King.

im probably the only one but for some reason im just not that excited for mac coming back, great come back story for him and all, but idk what it is i just can't get stoked on this maybe i just have to see him play friday and it will change my mind about this.

I was wondering if anyone that has NHL Net could possibly youtube any highlights of Mac's first night back for those of us stuck with Center Ice only? It's been pretty frustrating when the games get blacked out, but missing this one has really kicked the Pissed Off Meter to the roof.

I'm hoping for Mac's sake that he doesn't try to prove he's still "got it" by taking on DJ King.

McCarty in his heyday would have taken King on. King is a beast, but I doubt McCarty is scared of him.