• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Quebec to ban fighting

Rate this topic

According to Montreal radio station CKAC, the Government of Quebec will introduce legislation tomorrow that will ban fighting in all amateur levels of hockey in the province, including the QMJHL.

The only hockey not affected by this is the Montreal Canadiens and the Ligue Nord-Americaine de Hockey, Quebec's semi-pro goon league.

QMJHL Commissioner Gillies Corteau will not oppose the legislation.

Link (French)

Edited by MacK_Attack

According to Montreal radio station CKAC, the Government of Quebec will introduce legislation tomorrow that will ban fighting in all amateur levels of hockey in the province, including the QMJHL.

The only hockey not affected by this is the Montreal Canadiens and the Ligue Nord-Americaine de Hockey, Quebec's semi-pro goon league.

Link (French)

That is completely unnecesary and idiotic. While I am not a big fan of fighting in lower levels of youth hockey, the Government should keep their snouts out of athletics and let the leagues figure things out for themselves. This is a direct result of Roy jr's anticts, the league handled this appropriatly.

Cool, I hope the Remparts arent too affected by having empty buildings. Fans love fights, if you ban them, thats a joke.

I love the QMJHL, you cant ban fighting. It's one of the best parts of hockey and the fans love it. Really sucks that the St Johns Fogdevils have to move to Quebec, now my favorite team wont be as good. Really too bad.

But hey, not like anyone makes fun of the french for being soft.. oh wait. (Nothing towards the french, just banning fighting makes me sick.

That is completely unnecesary and idiotic. While I am not a big fan of fighting in lower levels of youth hockey, the Government should keep their snouts out of athletics and let the leagues figure things out for themselves. This is a direct result of Roy jr's anticts, the league handled this appropriatly.

In order to keep Quebec French, they will now be slapping each other across the face with their glove (or trapper if it is Roy) and duelling at dawn with the rapier.

In case of cowardice, they will also have the option of going to the bench, grabbing a towel, waving it about and surrendering. This will result in a 2 minute penalty for the person surrendered to for vol à main armée (thuggery).

:ph34r:

This is a joke. Give the Roys 2 days jail time or something.

Where does this end??? Gary Bettman is smiling right now.... :battle:

So what if a team in the Q is hosting the Memorial Cup finals (which is what is happening next year I believe)? Does that mean the other two teams from the O and W can't fight??

In related news, how soon until the rest of Canada starts encouraging Quebec to re-think that whole secession thing?

For non-francophones, the link says not only will commissioner Corteau of the QMJHL not oppose the legislation, but he has previously mentioned on CKAC that he and the league committee already had plans to announce some kind of anti-fighting rules for the league, and that the league will be publicly supporting the government legislation.

Why don't they just secede from Canada while they're at it? Real men aren't afraid to get socked in the face. So if someone cross checks you in the back of the head and the refs don't see it, you can't fight him? There's just going to be a bunch of cheap shotting whiners out there. Way to go Quebec.

They were talking about this on XM204 the other day, Hradek and LaGreca I think. They were saying how they wouldn't be opposed to a ban or stricter penalties for fighting in lower levels of hockey because of stuff like this; because a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds don't always understand when it's ok to fight and when it's not, how to do it and how not to, etc...

They definitely make a valid point, but I don't like seeing fighting being banned anywhere. But for the government to do is just downright ridiculous. This is nothing short of a knee-jerk reaction.

Link (French)

The president of the Canadian Hockey League (CHL) has also stated that it won't be long until it's banned completely in major junior hockey.

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I'm not upset by this ruling. Most of these kids are 16 to 18 year olds. I've seen games where grown men are salivating with blood lust hoping a couple of these kids murder each other.

When I was younger I used to think differently of it, but now that I'm a father of 2 I think differently.

Think of that young goalie that didn't want to fight but got pummled by Johnathan Roy. Think about his parents. Would you want to see that happen to your kid? Most of these kids are living away far away from home. How would you feel if you saw your son have to go through that after giving up your care of him to the coaches and community of where he plays. I wouldn't be too happy.

While this isn't the most 'manly' statement to make, some parents raise their kids not to be fighters. Some parents want their kids in hockey to enjoy the beauty of the game, not worry about getting pummled every night.

I have no problem with fighting in the pro's. Like Tiger Williams once said, "if you're not getting paid to fight, you're an idiot". But in junior, it's different.

Just my thoughts on it.

I agree 100% with ya on how many parents wish not to see their son turning into a "thug" while playing in Junior Hockey, but unfortunately there's always a few parents whom live thru their kids, & really push them with hopes of getting into the NHL @ any cost - not to mention the kid himself has dreams too, & would do nearly anything to live that dream.

While I'm not a big fan of goonery (read senseless fights just for a side show effect) - a spontaneous/heat of the moment scrap is okay in my book, but what the Roy's pulled is a bunch of crap...IMO what father/son had done is no better than what allegedly Crawford/Bertuzzi conspired to do (obviously minus the injuries/past history).

Another question a bit off topic; exactly when did guys like Bob Probert become proficient with his fists? How old was he when he started to fight on a regular basis? Did this lead him down the path towards substance abuse? I could be off base, but it appears to me that a higher % of tuff guys have "issues" (off ice) when compared to the rest whom don't/didn't make a living thru their fists.

Good post. If my son got into a tussle because some guy got away with a cheap shot that could have really hurt him, I would stand by his decision to throw some knuckles. But like you said, the kind of shenanigans displayed by Roy & son should be punished to the umpteenth degree. There's no place for it in any amatuer sports.

Regarding Probert, a friend of the family has known him for years. Lets just say his family upbringing would make June Cleaver blow her brains out. His father was a massively abusive alchoholic and in turn so became Probert and his siblings. Probert was also no stranger to street fights as he's even more proficient with his fists off the ice as on.

But I don't know if all enforcers have suffered the same abused upbringing. I knew a kid that was as tough as they come on the ice but never missed church on Sunday, never drank, swore, smoked or looked for trouble off of it. Some guys just get that 'mentality' when they hit the ice. McSorley reminds of that. Greatest guy in the world without skates. Monster with them on.