• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LKietz

Goal Question

Rate this topic

I was wondering if it is with in the rules to get a goal at the 20:00 minute mark. I was at the Griffins game tonight and the other team got an empty net goal at the very end of the game. They announced the goal at the 20 minute mark. It's not like the goal made a difference or anything, I'm just curious what the rules are. Cause the way I understand it there should have been at least a tenth of a second left in the game or the game is over and the goal doesn't count. Thanks for your help!

I believe that the puck has to be completly across the line before the 20 minute mark of the game. the goal will count if it is across the line at say 19:59.9 into the third period.

Edited by wingsfan979802

There was a game a couple years ago around late December where Datsyuk scored with two tenths of a second left in overtime to win the game. It was all the more sweeter, because with 5 minutes left before the end of the third, the Wings were down by two goals.

Since the NHL doesn't round off scoring times to the tenth of a second mark, anything scored with less than 1 second on the clock, it would be at the 20:00 mark.

Penalties given out at the 20:00 mark of a period are actually called after time has expired in that period.

I think....

There was a game a couple years ago around late December where Datsyuk scored with two tenths of a second left in overtime to win the game. It was all the more sweeter, because with 5 minutes left before the end of the third, the Wings were down by two goals.

Was that against Chicago? I seem to remember something liek that. It was awesome.

Was that against Chicago? I seem to remember something liek that. It was awesome.

Sorry to hijack the thread...but...

I was at that game, I stayed until the end and, well, it was awesome...I was getting heckled all night because I had wings stuff on...a little poetic justice at the end. :thumbup:

It wasn't 5 minutes, we were down 2-0 with less than a minute to go.

I think it was Draper who scored our first goal of the game with the extra attacker and then another was scored with 3 secs left to tie the game.

It was awesome.

Hockey announces that stuff in full minute increments for soemreason, so anything that happens from 0:01 to 1:00 is the 1st minute, and anything from 1:01 to 2:00 is the 2nd minue... and anything that happens from 19:01 to 20:00 is the 20th minute.

And yes, there must be a tenth of a second for a goal to be counted, but penalties can be called at the 20:00 mark.

I remember that game. It was against the Hawks and they were down 2-0 with 40 secs left. They scored 2 goals in the last 40 secs to tie and Pavel scored with no time on the clock. They had to review it to make sure it crossed before time expired.

Hockey announces that stuff in full minute increments for soemreason, so anything that happens from 0:01 to 1:00 is the 1st minute, and anything from 1:01 to 2:00 is the 2nd minue... and anything that happens from 19:01 to 20:00 is the 20th minute.

And yes, there must be a tenth of a second for a goal to be counted, but penalties can be called at the 20:00 mark.

In hockey, seconds are announced for goals or penalties. Soccer rounds them off to the minute...

awesome game, i was going crazy. It was against chicago if anyone doesn't know.

Not quite. Anything that happens in the first minute of the game is expressed in seconds. We score with 19:50 left, it means the goal was scored at the 10 second mark. If we score with 18:50 left, the time of the goal is 1:10.

You cannot score at the 20:00 minute mark, since the game would be over as soon as you hit 20:00. The goal in question here should be at the 19:59 mark, officially.

oh my god i remember that game. it was against chicago on dec. 23, i thought of the win as an early christmas present. but yeah, i think samulson scored with a little over 1 minute and draper scored with 33 seconds, then datsyuk in overtime with about .1 seconds left. great game... well great ending.

Just remember the goal light can not come on if the end of period light is on. So unless the goal judge is faster then the period the goal won't count.

oh my god i remember that game. it was against chicago on dec. 23, i thought of the win as an early christmas present. but yeah, i think samulson scored with a little over 1 minute and draper scored with 33 seconds, then datsyuk in overtime with about .1 seconds left. great game... well great ending.

Can someone find video? Bacause I rember that game clear as day and I swear Drapes scored with around 23 seconds, then Lidstrom with around 7 seconds, Datsyuk OT with .2 seconds.

Just remember the goal light can not come on if the end of period light is on. So unless the goal judge is faster then the period the goal won't count.

That's not true. The goal judge's only purpose is to determine whether or not the puck is in the net. The goal light has absolutely no bearing on whether the goal counts; if the referee determines the puck crossed the line legally before time was up, even if the goal light didn't come on, it's a goal.

If they implemented what I have been calling for for years, the goal light would be used for exactly this purpose, among others. I have been asking for YEARS for the NHL to implement a system based on FoxTrax puck technology that uses a system of sensors in the goal frame to determine if the puck enters the net, and when. This system would completely eliminate 'manual' goal judges, and would automatically stop the clock if the puck completely entered the net. Obviously, it wouldn't necessarily signal a valid goal had been scored...but the play would still be over.

Not quite. Anything that happens in the first minute of the game is expressed in seconds. We score with 19:50 left, it means the goal was scored at the 10 second mark. If we score with 18:50 left, the time of the goal is 1:10.

You cannot score at the 20:00 minute mark, since the game would be over as soon as you hit 20:00. The goal in question here should be at the 19:59 mark, officially.

The time of the goal is expressed in minutes and seconds, rounded to the nearest second. If the goal is scored with less than half a second left, the time of the goal is 20:00.

That, however, does not explain why they wouldn't have dropped the puck. If there was enough time for the goal to count, they should have dropped the puck. The horn would have gone instantly, but they still technically should have had a faceoff.

That's not true. The goal judge's only purpose is to determine whether or not the puck is in the net. The goal light has absolutely no bearing on whether the goal counts; if the referee determines the puck crossed the line legally before time was up, even if the goal light didn't come on, it's a goal.

If they implemented what I have been calling for for years, the goal light would be used for exactly this purpose, among others. I have been asking for YEARS for the NHL to implement a system based on FoxTrax puck technology that uses a system of sensors in the goal frame to determine if the puck enters the net, and when. This system would completely eliminate 'manual' goal judges, and would automatically stop the clock if the puck completely entered the net. Obviously, it wouldn't necessarily signal a valid goal had been scored...but the play would still be over.

This could also eliminate situations where you know the puck crossed the line, but it can't be proven with conclusive visual evidence.

Can someone find video? Bacause I rember that game clear as day and I swear Drapes scored with around 23 seconds, then Lidstrom with around 7 seconds, Datsyuk OT with .2 seconds.

I posted Datsyuk's OT goal on youtube a while ago. The only thing is, it dosen't have the other goals or a replay. Better than nothing I guess.

Sorry to hijack the thread...but...

I was at that game, I stayed until the end and, well, it was awesome...I was getting heckled all night because I had wings stuff on...a little poetic justice at the end. :thumbup:

I was at that game as well, and as it was pointed out, the Wings were down by 2 heading in to the final minute of the third. They either scored with 37 & 9 seconds left or 39 & 7 seconds left in the third period. Either way, the goal Dats scored literally took the war room in Toronto over 10 minutes and upwards of 15 to determine if it was completely over the line.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

The time of the goal is expressed in minutes and seconds, rounded to the nearest second. If the goal is scored with less than half a second left, the time of the goal is 20:00.

That, however, does not explain why they wouldn't have dropped the puck. If there was enough time for the goal to count, they should have dropped the puck. The horn would have gone instantly, but they still technically should have had a faceoff.

Certainly not true. All goals are rounded to the highest second remaining. You don't normally see tenths of seconds until the game is under 1 minutes. A goal scored w/ 59.4 seconds left will be marked at 19:00. A goal scored w/ 22.1 will be recorded at 19:37 and finally, in our example above, NO goal should ever be recorded at 20:00. If the time was more than 0.0 seconds than the goal must be recorded as 19:59.

EDIT: This is shown by the game sheet of the game in question found at : http://stats.theahl.com/stats/official-gam...game_id=1004548

The goal was recorded at 19:59, not 20:00..just a mistake by the PA announcer.

Edited by scsgoal31