• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

NHL looking at a 56.3M Salary Cap Next season?

Rate this topic

Why do so many people look down on Holland simply because he only made one deal? Stuart is a huge addition, but even putting him aside Holland didn't sell the farm, yet made this current Wings team tougher to play against in the playoffs. I swear, nobody will ever be pleased regardless of the smart moves Holland makes.

you know... it's all so easy to do on Playstation that people quickly

forget real life is no free lunch and you have to pay to get something.

seriously... some ppl really need to get away from their gaming consoles

and do some thinking.

Why do so many people look down on Holland simply because he only made one deal? Stuart is a huge addition, but even putting him aside Holland didn't sell the farm, yet made this current Wings team tougher to play against in the playoffs. I swear, nobody will ever be pleased regardless of the smart moves Holland makes.

[sarcasm]

Because you know nothing, all Holland has to do is call another teams GM, tell them who he wants and what he is willing to give them and they just hand over the player![/sarcasm]

Gotta re-sign Filppula, Howard and Stuart then save enough to re-sign Zetterberg and Franzen. The Wings could possibly add another decent player but we don't have that much cap space to have too much fun with.

Malone please!

It's because he's so incompetent he couldn't manage to get Hossa for Samuelsson and a pick. Then last year I think it was because he couldn't sign Luongo for Lilja and a pick.

clearly he sucks and isn't even trying to sign players. He sits on his hands in the office most of the time, collecting his paycheck.

/sarcasm

how are they going to guarantee top-6 minute? is it gonna be in contract that if Brunnstrom doesn't play x number of minute in everygame he will be compensated? I've never heard such a contract and I don't think anybody can guarantee 100% that he will play top 6 regardless of his performance.

and If Brunnstrom is going to demand how Red Wings organization is going to be run, he really needs to sit down and get his head straightened out. Noone is going to give anything for you for free. If Red Wings management thinks Brunnstrom isn't ready for NHL yet, chances are, he really isn't, unless Brunnstrom guy wants to stick around for few forgettable years in Van or Tor as has been and back to SEL after 2 years. Red Wings scouts have dealt with better talents than him and probably know what's the best development process for him. So in a sense, Red Wing is the best option for his career in NHL.

If he wants to sign a contract that after 1 year he has an option to go back to SEL, that seems fair to me but If he thinks he is sidney crosby already, Wings need to pass on this guy because he doesn't know much about being a professional and is going to be detrimental to Red Wings.

Simmer down now.

I completely agree with what you are saying. My point is that other teams are not as competent and don't have the patience or sense to keep this guy in their minor league system for a year or two like we would. That is definitely going to hurt our chances. Money is not as much of a factor as playing time is. If playing time is more important to Fabian than money, Toronto and Vancouver are at an advantage simply because the Red Wings have a much tougher lineup to crack.

In a perfect world, Fabian would play here because we have a better chance at winning a Cup than Vancouver or Toronto. In a perfect world, he would wait until he would gladly adjust to the the NA game by playing in GR for a year or two, then come up here as a 25-26 year old with a much more well-rounded game. One problem: Fabian wants to play in the NHL next season as a top-six forward and there are other teams who will give him that chance.

"This is a player, who, right now, is demanding 'Top 5' entry draft-level money," says (TSN's Bob) McKenzie. "If you draft a guy in the Top 5, you have to pay out all those extra bonuses. That's what you have to pay."

And the challenge of landing Brunnstrom, who's eligible to play in the NHL next season, doesn't stop at the amount of greenbacks.

"The other thing determining where he wants to sign is who's going to promise him top six minutes right off the hop," says McKenzie.

Why again did they steal a season of hockey from us?

It's because he's so incompetent he couldn't manage to get Hossa for Samuelsson and a pick. Then last year I think it was because he couldn't sign Luongo for Lilja and a pick.

clearly he sucks and isn't even trying to sign players. He sits on his hands in the office most of the time, collecting his paycheck.

/sarcasm

I don't want Bobby Luo... I am content making the playoffs each season with our "not as good" scrub goalies...

Having him on our team wouldn't seal our fate of never making the playoffs again...

Go GENS Go

Go Neuvirth Go

Edited by OsGOD

I am not disappointed with the trade deadline and the moves or lack of moves we made this year.

I am disappointed we had all this cap space, which Holland could have spent, but did not. If we are no longer going to make a splash at the trade deadline, that is fine... in fact, I think it is smart. The Wings should not be trading away prospects and draft picks every year.

Instead, spend most of that money at the beginning of the season on free agents... that we do not lose anything for. Keep a small cushion for a depth player at the trade deadline (for injuries and whatnot), but not enough for a high-impact player. Face it, the Wings are not in a good position to get those guys at the deadline. Low draft picks, not a ton of prospects and other teams raise their prices on the Wings. Accept it, and spend the money at the beginning of the season.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03302008/sport...4233.htm?page=1

The Wings will have a hefty chunk of cap space next season...

Interesting how quickly the league is returning to the non-parity years... :rolleyes:

Oh well- maybe we can see the Penguin's collection of blow-hard trophies (high round draft picks won via extended sucking) auctioned off in the next few years :P

Simmer down now.

I completely agree with what you are saying. My point is that other teams are not as competent and don't have the patience or sense to keep this guy in their minor league system for a year or two like we would. That is definitely going to hurt our chances. Money is not as much of a factor as playing time is. If playing time is more important to Fabian than money, Toronto and Vancouver are at an advantage simply because the Red Wings have a much tougher lineup to crack.

In a perfect world, Fabian would play here because we have a better chance at winning a Cup than Vancouver or Toronto. In a perfect world, he would wait until he would gladly adjust to the the NA game by playing in GR for a year or two, then come up here as a 25-26 year old with a much more well-rounded game. One problem: Fabian wants to play in the NHL next season as a top-six forward and there are other teams who will give him that chance.

yeah I understand and agree. I don't know what got into me when I wrote that but reading it again, I sure didn't mean to come out that bluntly.

As for top-6 min, like I said, it's not like we are back in 2002 where Brett Hull is on our 3rd line. Wing can guarantee as much as some other team about those minutes. If he can't produce or excel with Wings play makers, he isn't going to do any better in Tor or Van. If he knows he isn't good enough but wants to stick around with a NHL club till somehow he 'makes it' well all the powers to him.

Brunnstrom needs to know it is a hard to earn anything in NHL. Sooner he gets it and work toward whatever his goal might be, better he will be 5 years from now. Where does he wanna be in 5 year?

I know the salary cap is going up, but it seems to be the trend over the last few years, that all the cap going up is doing is driving the price of the select UFA through the roof. I dont care if detroit had the money, I wouldn't have wanted them spending the coin last year to get names like Briere, Drury or Gomez.

Higher cap isn't allowing us to sign more, its just making the ones able to sign worth that much more.

yeah I understand and agree. I don't know what got into me when I wrote that but reading it again, I sure didn't mean to come out that bluntly.

As for top-6 min, like I said, it's not like we are back in 2002 where Brett Hull is on our 3rd line. Wing can guarantee as much as some other team about those minutes. If he can't produce or excel with Wings play makers, he isn't going to do any better in Tor or Van. If he knows he isn't good enough but wants to stick around with a NHL club till somehow he 'makes it' well all the powers to him.

Brunnstrom needs to know it is a hard to earn anything in NHL. Sooner he gets it and work toward whatever his goal might be, better he will be 5 years from now. Where does he wanna be in 5 year?

We will find out soon whether Brunnstrom wants to earn his spot or not. If he goes to Detroit I think that means he understands that he has to earn a spot and that this is good spot for him. If he signs in Vancouver or Toronto I think it will be with the impression of top line playing minutes. I compare it to a football player out of high school choosing between Michigan and Minnesota. Does he want to play now or play for the best program.

Edited by UP2HERE

We will find out soon whether Brunnstrom wants to earn his spot or not. If he goes to Detroit I think that means he understands that he has to earn a spot and that this is good spot for him. If he signs in Vancouver or Toronto I think it will be with the impression of top line playing minutes. I compare it to a football player out of high school choosing between Michigan and Minnesota. Does he want to play now or play for the best program.

Did Minnesota lose to Appalachian State this year too? :P

Edit: Just kidding....I don't dislike any Michigan teams at all, while I can't stand any of them from Minnesota.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I know the salary cap is going up, but it seems to be the trend over the last few years, that all the cap going up is doing is driving the price of the select UFA through the roof. I dont care if detroit had the money, I wouldn't have wanted them spending the coin last year to get names like Briere, Drury or Gomez.

Higher cap isn't allowing us to sign more, its just making the ones able to sign worth that much more.

I dont know about that. Those contracts have been heavily criticiized this year, in many ways similar to the criticism many GMs received after last years trade deadline. Not surprisingly, GMs were a lot more tentative to throw around big picks and players for rentals this year. I expected Prospal to easily land a first, and a guy like Stuart to cost us at least a decent prospect. Not the case. Now, I wouldnt be surprised to see GMs take that thinking into the off-season and not go throwing around 8-9M contracts at players just because they can. What I do expect to see is GMs handing out longer term contracts though.

Honestly, I think Hossa is the only guy getting significantly more than 5-5.5M as a UFA. I expect Campbell to be re-signed, but then after that, the talent pool drops down to the Demitras, Langkows and Huseliuses of the league. And even less so for the defenseman. I could see people dropping 5M on those guys, which is overpaying, but as not as much as 6M per year for those guys would be. And suggestions that prices will inflate to that extent because the cap went up 6M to me isnt realistic. Particularly, I think the RFA frenzy is going to have an effect on that as well. Lowe opened a can of worms and I expect to see the lid left off if guys like Carter and Suter cant be signed because their GMs went and overpaid several million for a mid-level UFA.

Malone please!

QFT on both accounts.

Though odds are that Malone isn't going to jump ship, even though the Wings are attractive. The Pens are too right now.

Some one remind what the point of the strike was. Im not bitching on Detroits side but i thought it was to even out the playing field. The year before the strike average team payroll was only 45 million...thats with new york, detroit, colorado all spending around 80 million each. Good going nhl

The difference is that the NHL is making tons more money now. The cap is tied to revenue. Before the lockout, the NHL was paying out an average of $45m per team, which was 75% of the league's total revenue of approximately $1.8b. Under the new CBA, the cap is tied to a percentage of revenues; this year is has been raised up to 57%. Now, the cap is raising to about 56m and the floor to about 40m, which means the League is making close to $3b this season. The NHL's revenues have increased by greater than 50% in three years...hence the consistently rising cap.

Man, I certainly hope the cap rises that high. That would allow the Wings to maintain their targeted players as well as looking at some UFA's. Should be an interesting summer.

The difference is that the NHL is making tons more money now. The cap is tied to revenue. Before the lockout, the NHL was paying out an average of $45m per team, which was 75% of the league's total revenue of approximately $1.8b. Under the new CBA, the cap is tied to a percentage of revenues; this year is has been raised up to 57%. Now, the cap is raising to about 56m and the floor to about 40m, which means the League is making close to $3b this season. The NHL's revenues have increased by greater than 50% in three years...hence the consistently rising cap.

and yet small market teams are still complaining about losing money and not being able to compete :ranting: (not directed at you eva)

the extra space can be used to sign miller to a reasonable deal after hasek retires and we trade for him.

ahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahua

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Brunnstrom will make more then that. He isn't getting a league intro contract as he isn't technically a draftee.

I thought I recall the numbers around 2.3-2.5 million for him, though I could be wrong...

He can get that with incentives. His entry level contract will be that of a 1st round draft pick.

Zetterberg and Franzens contracts doent kick in til the following season. The cap will likely have increased yet again by then.

Holland is smart enough to sign Zetterberg before he becomes a free agent...it will happen this off season, if not then in the middle of next season.

Some one remind what the point of the strike was. Im not bitching on Detroits side but i thought it was to even out the playing field. The year before the strike average team payroll was only 45 million...thats with new york, detroit, colorado all spending around 80 million each. Good going nhl

the average salary may have been around 45 mill. but there were teams spending on both sides of the spectrum. sure colorado, detroit, and new york were spending 80 mill. but there were teams like edmenton, nashville, and colombus spending like 20 mill. therefore some teams really had no chance to compete or sign any players. now its alot more even and the cap FORCES teams not to be cheap and spend the money to get the players. the cap floor now is like twice of what nashville was spending for their roster 4 years ago. this gives fans hope that their team can land any free agent= parity. at least for the most part