Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Maltby out; Abdelkader gets tryout contract

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/

Wings sign Abdelkader to amateur tryout, might make NHL debut tonight

by Ansar Khan

Thursday April 03, 2008, 10:05 AM

The Wings have signed forward Justin Abdelkader to an amateur tryout contract, and the club said that the Michigan State star might make his NHL debut tonight at home against Columbus.

The Muskegon native has played for the Spartans the last three years, leading the team to the NCAA championship in 2007. He scored the game-winning goal in the championship game vs. Boston College with 18.9 seconds remaining and was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player at the Frozen Four. Abdelkader was Detroit's second-round selection (42nd overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

Word is Maltby has some sort of injury.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

The Red Wings are bringing former Michigan State star Justin Abdelkader in for the game against Columbus tonight after finding out that forward Kirk Maltby is unavailable because of an injury (details to follow).

Abdelkader was the Red Wings' second-round draft pick in 2005 and by coming to Detroit on a one-game amateur tryout, he's foregoing the rest of his eligibility at Michigan State.

Detroit assistant general manager Jim Nill said that the Red Wings are "real close" to signing Abdelkader to a three-year entry-level contract. If the sides agree by Saturday, Abdelkader will stay with the team through the playoffs. He must sign by Saturday to be eligible.

Nill also said that the Red Wings are negotiating with junior defenseman Logan Pyett on an entry-level contract.

This is unbelievable!

Interesting to read that he is he's foregoing the rest of his eligibility at Michigan State but seeing as though the Wings are going to sign him anyway, it's not a big deal.

As with all our prospects, I'm real excited to see this guy. And I hold Abdelkader in very high esteem, think he could be more than the grind line forward many have predicted.

from MLIVE:

The move was made because the team is short on forwards, as Kirk Maltby is out with an injury. Maltby was hurt blocking a shot last night in Chicago. No word yet on the specifics of the injury.

WOOO! I am FOND of Justin Abdelkader! Hopefully Malts is fine, I would have liked Abdelkader's debut to come under better circumstances but hey, I am happy to see him up. I also hope a deal is not reached by Saturday, he and Michigan State have a title to defend!

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008..._abdelkader.php

Abdelkader Signs With Wings

CHN Staff Report

EAST LANSING, Mich. — Justin Abdelkader, the Most Outstanding Player of the 2007 Frozen Four for Michigan State, has decided to forgo his final year of college eligibility, signing an amateur tryout agreement with the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.

Abdelkader, a second-round pick of the Red Wings in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft (42nd overall), could play this evening when Detroit plays Columbus.

"It's an amazing feeling to realize my dream of being a Red Wing, and I would like to thank the Detroit organization," Abdelkader said in a statement. "On the flip side, it's difficult to leave Michigan State. My three years there were the best of my life, and not only from a hockey standpoint.

"I'm proud that we were able to win a National Championship, and was thrilled to have the opportunities that were given to me not only by the coaching staff, but also within the University. I want to thank everyone who has been incredibly supportive of me over the last three years."

Abdelkader was an Honorable Mention All-CCHA selection as a junior and won the CCHA's Ilitch Humanitarian Award. He was the Spartans' second-leading scorer this past season with 19 goals and 40 points, while sharing the team lead in game-winning goals (5) and leading the team in penalty minutes (107).

"We're very happy for Justin," Michigan State head coach Rick Comley said. "Obviously, this is one of those situations where we're thrilled for a player who has meant so much to our program and helped us achieve a tremendous amount of success; on the other hand, we're disappointed that he won't be back for his senior year. But, we have nothing but good thoughts and we wish him the absolute best. He has meant a tremendous amount to our program, and we look forward to watching his success as a professional athlete."

Abdelkader leaves behind a strong legacy. His goal with 18.9 seconds left in regulation in last year's NCAA championship game, was the game winner over Boston College.

In 124 career games, Abdelkader had 44 goals and 51 assists for 95 points, with 120 penalties for 281 PIM.

The Spartans were recently eliminated from the NCAA tournament, losing in the West Regional final to Notre Dame.

From the Macomb Daily:

POST-PRACTICE UPDATE:

Maltby has a strained hamstring, according to coach Mike Babcock, an injury that occurred without any contact from an opponent. When he'll return to the lineup is unknown.

Tomas Holmstrom said that he won't play tonight, but will definitely be back in the lineup Sunday, giving him a one-game tune-up for the playoffs.

WOOO! I am FOND of Justin Abdelkader! Hopefully Malts is fine, I would have liked Abdelkader's debut to come under better circumstances but hey, I am happy to see him up. I also hope a deal is not reached by Saturday, he and Michigan State have a title to defend!

I think once he plays in the NHL he can't go back to State regardless of whether or not he's signed to a deal.

Also, State already lost while trying to defend the championship last week :/. Lerg went to Edmonton so I figured it would only be a matter of time before Abs was out of there too.

He's a good player, but after watching a bunch of state games the last couple season (Im a state student) I don't really think he has what it takes to just jump into the NHL. Who knows though, hopefully he'll surprise me!

Great for him, hope he enjoys the experience. He's really going to be good for the Wings down the road whether it be a grinder or second line guy, he's going to add alot.

This is great, I am really excited to see this kid play. A buddy of mine that I grew up with, actually went to Mich State and played with Abdelkader last year when they won the 'ship. I saw him at a party and i told him what a red wings fan I was, so I asked him about how Justin is as a player, and said he is gonna be solid, and predicted he'd be playing with the wings very soon. He had his cell # and was gonna call him, but figured that wouldn't have been a good idea, see how many beers I had in me. Didnt wanna scare him away. Thought that be a cool story to share though./

Michigan State has already been knocked out of the NCAA tourney. So much for defending their title. Truthfully, I think this is a bad idea for Abdelkader, he should stay for his senior year and be captain of the team. Earn his leadershiip stripes that way. But who I am to tell someone to forgo money and a chance to play in the show. I played against him in high school and have never liked him after he wouldnt shake my hand after we beat him in the state finals. But that being said i really hope the best for the kid because it is great for USA hockey and for hockey in the state of michigan. Good Luck

I hope he plays tonight, sit Hartigan

I'm all for that. As a Michigan Wolverine hockey fan, I've seen my team play against Abdelkader a lot--and he looks impressive. It will be interesting to see how well he does if he plays tonight.

That said, I feel like another year in the competitive ccha would have done him well. Kevin Porter did that to improve his all around game, and he is getting rewarded now. It would have been nice to see Abdelkader follow in the same fashion. But, who am I to tell a 21 year old kid to not take the money?

Edited by umredwing11