• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyCrazy3033

Round 1: Wings vs. Predators

Rate this topic

I don't think that'll be the case, and if it somehow is there WILL be hell to pay. Downey, Drake or Mac *if he plays* will take care of the punk.

While Tootoo is beyond an idiot, I'm really hoping the presence of the guys you listed is enough to keep his head somewhat on his shoulders. I think the key to that happening is nipping garbage in the butt immediately before it escalates.

Detroit needs to concentrate on what they do best. Limit Nashville's scoring chances, get the PP and PK going, and send lots of shots and traffic at Ellis.

I don't like the idea of Detroit running around chasing Tootoo. If they can rub him out early then fine. But don't let him be a distraction and don't turn it in to a sideshow.

Detroit needs to concentrate on what they do best. Limit Nashville's scoring chances, get the PP and PK going, and send lots of shots and traffic at Ellis.

I don't like the idea of Detroit running around chasing Tootoo. If they can rub him out early then fine. But don't let him be a distraction and don't turn it in to a sideshow.

I would agree, and that was the point of my statement. If Tootoo starts with the garbage, its best to nip it in the butt right away before the Wings start to let it consume them. The more annoyed he can get the Wings, the better it'll end up being for the Preds.

Any interesting point on the Yahoo description of the series read the bold part:

(8) Nashville Predators-(1) Detroit Red Wings: One of three intra-divisional quarterfinal matchups, the Presidents’ Trophy winners would appear to have it all over the Predators, who have to just be happy to be here. But it also sort of reminds one of a series in 1994 when the top-seeded Red Wings lost in seven games to an upstart band of San Jose Sharks.

Nashville is making its fourth straight playoff appearance and has yet to win a series. The Predators have picked the wrong teams to face, that’s for sure. This is the second time they go against Detroit, which beat Nashville in six games in 2004. San Jose eliminated the Predators in five games each of the past two springs.

Detroit would appear poised for a potential long postseason run. Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg were productive both last postseason and this regular season. And they boast the Jennings Trophy winners in goalies Dominik Hasek and Chris Osgood.

The series starts Thursday and is the only one in the first round that has one off day between every potential game.

That should be good for the Wings, not only is there really no travel involved in this series but they have a night off between each game. This will help when the Wings have to go to the farthest edge of the Continental US for the rest of the playoffs!

Here are my thoughts: If we lose this series I will have to move out of Tennessee!! The people down here would NEVER live it down!!

WE MUST win the first two games! We need to dominate the first two games, 4-1, 5-1, just like last year against Calgary. No sitting back in this series, I think someone else mentioned that we need to take control of the series right from the beginning of game 1.

If we can jump on these guys early I believe we can ruin their confidence.

Nashville purposly lost Friday night in Chicago, so they could play us and not San Jose! I kind of find that offensive, but hey you want the best you got the best!! I just think it funny that Nashville would rather play a team that has owned them, rather than play a team that just simply has their number. I Don't believe San Jose is as good as they seem!!

I don't have much confidence in this series, I don't think we have played all that great since Mid January, and that concerns me!! We are banged up, and I just don't feel that we can win this series!! I don't know why I feel that way, I just have a hunch!! Please tell me I'm wrong WINGS!!!! :unsure::scared:

I do not know why everyone is so worried about the Wings. We all know Dom always steps it up in playoffs... and I think he is going to be even BETTER this year becasue idiots like Pierre McGuire keeps saying Dom will not last this year... so I think Dom is gonna play hard and prove them wrong. Also, we have the best defence in the NHL, great offence, etc. And, for what it is worth, the Wings have been playing "playoff" type games since early February; they were not puck controlling the game like usual, they had to grind the game out, and they masturd the grinding in the month of March... I am not worried at all about this series.... Wings in 5

Don't get me wrong I am not here to start a goalie flame war nor do I have it in for either of the goalies but with what I have seen of Dom towards the season's end (have to admit I haven't seen a lot this last week or so) I see him losing an either game 1 or 2 by a decent amount and I see Babs going to Ozzie.

Again it is not that I think Dom is horrible or anything like that, I just see his groin as being past its prime. I am not sure the dude can stay healthy playing 8-10 games in a row, especially if the Wings go deep in a series.

I see Ozzie taken the reigns over half way through the series.

I hope I am wrong, but that is just the gut feeling I have!

trust me we know what carpetbaggers are... those of you still IN Michigan arent the issue... the ones who now live in TN and show up at the Sommet Center in RW garb, are most definitely carpetbaggers

A large number of those fans have been there since Saturn started operations in the area. In other words, they were existing GM employees who relocated within the company.

Not carpetbaggers, technically.

I hope Dom kicks ass and takes names during the playoffs. Barring injury, he's likely to play every game, but I would not be at all unhappy to see the Jennings Tandem do just that, tandem:

way to look like an idiot, Pierre

Dom and Ozzie aren't buying into the notion that the Wings have goalie problems...

As well as Hasek and Osgood have played this season, they still have their doubters. NBC analyst Pierre McGuire, who worked Sunday's game, said last week that he thinks the Wings are "in trouble because their goaltending is unproven this year."

Told of McGuire's comment, Hasek smiled.

"I have to laugh about it," he said. "You know, I don't think about what I have to prove and what I don't have to prove. I play my style, and I do whatever is best for the team to stop the puck. He made his comments, and this is something that doesn't bother me. I'm going to play the same way. I don't want to prove anything, I just want to do my job."

Just a look at things from Nashville's perspective, or their newspaper anyway:

WHY THE PREDS WILL WIN

Here's a look at some of the Predators' other strengths, as they ready for the Red Wings:

Goaltending

The Predators' play in net for the most part has been a strength down the stretch. It remains to be seen how goalie Dan Ellis will respond to his first playoff series, but his recent 233:39 shutout streak has to be encouraging.

Penalty-killing

The Predators finished the season by going seven straight games without allowing a power-play goal, and they wound up tied for the league's third-best penalty-killing success rate (85.4 percent).

The Predators have helped their cause by staying out of the box; they have faced just 10 power plays in the past five games. Those numbers could be critical vs. a Red Wings power play that finished as the NHL's fourth-best.

"I think the biggest improvement lately has been our discipline,'' defenseman Dan Hamhuis said. "We're not taking as many penalties.''

Dealing with pressure

The Predators spent a large chunk of the season on the border of playoff position, turning almost every game into a battle for survival.

"Right now we're finding ways to win and that's part of it if you're going to be successful,'' Coach Barry Trotz said. "We're handling the pressure of competing. We've had a lot of big games, and that's something you have to go through – you can't work on that in practice.''

WHY THE PREDS WILL LOSE

Here are some areas where the Predators don't look so good heading into the playoffs:

Power play

The Predators' power play has been bad for most of the season and the team finished with the league's fourth-worst success rate (14.8 percent).

Over the past seven games, the Predators were just 1-for-24 with the man advantage, and those numbers need to be better for a team that could have difficulty scoring five-on-five in the postseason.

"Our power play has to get going,'' Trotz said. "If we're going to have any success, we need to have power-play success. People that are on the power play have to start producing.''

Depth of talent

The Predators have a limited number of players up front who can be expected to score on a consistent basis, and the likely absence of David Legwand doesn't help matters.

Third- and fourth-line players have scored some big goals down the stretch, but how much will these guys be able to produce during the playoffs?

"I think you look around at the teams that have gotten (to the playoffs), and some teams have grit and some have talent,'' Arnott said. "Most teams have a great mixture.I think we definitely have more grit than talent. Hopefully that bodes in our favor and we'll grind it out a little bit.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../804070336/1028

Guest Leary Biscuit
Wings in 5.

One game will go to double overtime and Abdelkader will score his first NHL goal? ;)

seconded.

Guest Leary Biscuit
Anaheim gets Dallas.

San Jose gets Calgary.

We get Nashville.

I couldn't be more pleased with this.

agreed, let san jose and calgary beat the s*** out of each other.

wow tazzer82, that playoff uhm... "preview" was so one sided. id think that Nashville was the #1 seed! im sick of Nashville fans seemingly want to play us. i dont like that at all. hope the Wings take it to them hard.

wow tazzer82, that playoff uhm... "preview" was so one sided. id think that Nashville was the #1 seed! im sick of Nashville fans seemingly want to play us. i dont like that at all. hope the Wings take it to them hard.

I dont mind it too much. When you consider that theyve gotten booted by San Jose, what? 2 or 3 times already? Its like if somebody asked me if Id rather play the Blackhawks or Predators. Id say the Predators too.

Guest Leary Biscuit
Every game will be available on sopcast it's just a question of quality.

i jsut downloaded this program its pretty cool.

You can't seriously be angry at the fact that red wings fans show up to your arena can you? Seriously, out of the 30 NHL teams, this happens to a good 30% of them. Just be glad you're not a yotes fan. When we play them it's like a home game.

I'm not angry, I get it. and if I ever moved elsewhere i would wear Preds gear to the home barn... but that still makes the Michiganders now in TN carpetbaggers, by definition.

some carpetbaggers are ok, especially the ones that buy tickets at the box office not from scalpers... :D

A large number of those fans have been there since Saturn started operations in the area. In other words, they were existing GM employees who relocated within the company.

Not carpetbaggers, technically.

It's those "Carpetbaggers" who are helping to keep that team afloat. It's not as much Red in the building as it once was, but there are still a good number of Wing fans that show up at the Sommet Center when Detroit comes to town. Detroit has played in front of more sellouts at the GEC / Sommet Center than any visiting team. The roar was pretty darn loud when Chelios scored during the last visit.