• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Holmstrom back Sunday; Helm re-called

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/.....y_hel.html

Homer is being re-united on the top line and the lines should at least start like this on Sunday:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Filppula-Franzen-Cleary

Drake-Hartigan-Downey

Hudler-Helm-McCarty

With the injuries, I like this better than slapping Holmstrom on the 4th line or something, it helps the depth down the middle at the moment and hopefully Franzen's hot streak doesn't completely hang on whether or not he's on the top line PP unit.

Either way, I'd assume this is how Babcock will keep it going during home games in the playoffs, if this were a road game I think the lines would be different.

- Also for people too lazy to read the article and are worried about no one sitting out, none of the players wanted to go an entire week without playing, I wouldn't either.

So is it looking like Downey is actually going to get some playoff time?!!!! Obviously he wouldnt be on the 3rd line then, but man that would be sweet to still have him in there.

So Justin Abdelkader won't be playing again? I thought the idea of signing him was to have him around on the big club. Holland said yesterday he won't be sent down to the Griffins, and that he'd be with the team through the playoffs.

Maybe they don't want to over-use him, but it seems like he'd do a fine job filling in without having to call up another player from Griffins.

So Justin Abdelkader won't be playing again? I thought the idea of signing him was to have him around on the big club. Holland said yesterday he won't be sent down to the Griffins, and that he'd be with the team through the playoffs.

Maybe they don't want to over-use him, but it seems like he'd do a fine job filling in without having to call up another player from Griffins.

Im guessing they want to have Helm going too, getting him some ice time closer to the playoffs. I dont know when the last time Helm played was, but itd be nice to have Helm AND Abdelkader available for the playoffs. Both play a very playoff-suited type hockey, very responsible. I think either player could fill in admirably in a minor role.

Im guessing they want to have Helm going too, getting him some ice time closer to the playoffs. I dont know when the last time Helm played was, but itd be nice to have Helm AND Abdelkader available for the playoffs. Both play a very playoff-suited type hockey, very responsible. I think either player could fill in admirably in a minor role.

Also, I wasn't paying attention as closely as I should have and know that Helm is being groomed to replace Draper - so it's fitting that Draper 2.0 play with Draper still on the shelf.

I recall Helm playing in the middle of February - there were a few games he and Ritola were playing at the same time.

My concern was mostly because the Wings have already used 3 of their 4 emergency call-ups for the playoffs (I think) and perhaps this would count against that count. I don't really know how that works though, but I assume that in an injury situation - it's much like the regular season, where you can have ups and downs to the AHL without any recourse.

I can see Babcock wanting Ericsson around for the playoffs, too.

Edited by JeeSpot82

Also, I wasn't paying attention as closely as I should have and know that Helm is being groomed to replace Draper - so it's fitting that Draper 2.0 play with Draper still on the shelf.

Yeah Helm and Abdelkader look to be the next Draper and Maltby, although I thnk Abdelkader has better offensive upside than Malts. Now all we need is the next McCarty.

Zetterberg playing Sunday may actually be the best news ever. Because if his back weren't at 200%, you know he wouldn't be there.

But is he going to give 200% 110% of the time? because if he gives 200% 50% of the time, I guarantee you 100%, we'll only win 80% of our games. If he gives 100% 70% of the time...then we'd be in a heap of trouble...

But is he going to give 200% 110% of the time? because if he gives 200% 50% of the time, I guarantee you 100%, we'll only win 80% of our games. If he gives 100% 70% of the time...then we'd be in a heap of trouble...

um...yea what he said.really thats some funny stuff. :rotflmao:

So is it looking like Downey is actually going to get some playoff time?!!!! Obviously he wouldnt be on the 3rd line then, but man that would be sweet to still have him in there.

downey has earned himself a permanent role on this and deserves playoff time.

ps. so NO ONE is getting rested on sunday? im actually quite surprised by that...

ps. so NO ONE is getting rested on sunday? im actually quite surprised by that...

I don't like how McCarty always gets stuck with the useless players (Hudler). Helm is good and all, btu I don't know if they would complement each other very much. So once again we won't get to see what all McCarty is capable of. But at least he's playing.

And while I like Downey and think he's earned a permanent spot, he can't do much other than hit. I'd like to see him get a goal now and then for him to truly take on a McCarty like status in my mind.

Agreed. I mean i can see if everybody was healthy and he was scratched because of a regular who's been here, but if he loses out to Abdelkader, Helm, or even McCarty i think thats a slap in the face to him and sends the wrong message.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Agreed. I mean i can see if everybody was healthy and he was scratched because of a regular who's been here, but if he loses out to Abdelkader, Helm, or even McCarty i think thats a slap in the face to him and sends the wrong message.

It sends the message that someone who is better at a different role is dressed over him.

It sends the message that someone who is better at a different role is dressed over him.

I think what Lou was saying is that if Downey is scratched in favor of Helm, Abdelkader, or McCarty--in other words, third/fourth line grinding types of guys who haven't played all season and wouldn't be counted on for anything else at this point--then it sends the wrong message. Basically saying "it's fine if he's scratched for someone else who plays a different kind of hockey that has been with the team all season."

I don't like how McCarty always gets stuck with the useless players (Hudler).

You fail.

The fact that Hudler and McCarty have been playing together should clue people in as to part of the reason HUDLER has been having trouble recently. Not the reason MCCARTY has been having trouble.

I think what Lou was saying is that if Downey is scratched in favor of Helm, Abdelkader, or McCarty--in other words, third/fourth line grinding types of guys who haven't played all season and wouldn't be counted on for anything else at this point--then it sends the wrong message. Basically saying "it's fine if he's scratched for someone else who plays a different kind of hockey that has been with the team all season."

Thats it. Downey has worked really hard and made it longer with this team than anybody (including myself)wouldve expected at the start. Now we're talking about snubbing him on the 4th line for newcomers who are total unknowns...that just isnt good. If they have so little confidence in Downey that they need to sign a guy from college, call up another rook who wont score with few NHL games under his belt, and a guy who hasnt done anything in a long while to ensure they dont have to play him why even have him on the team. I think with what he's done this year he absolutely deserves to play if 2 or god forbid 3 friggin regulars are out.

You fail.

The fact that Hudler and McCarty have been playing together should clue people in as to part of the reason HUDLER has been having trouble recently. Not the reason MCCARTY has been having trouble.

It's not just recently, he has 2 goals and 12 points in his last 44 games.

As for the Downey thing, he's played well this season for his role, but his role is very rarely used in the playoffs especially deep into the playoffs. George Parros was benched in favor of Drew Miller, a guy who isn't even with their team this year. You HAVE to go with the people who can log more minutes and that the coach feels comfortable putting out there in the 3rd period. Downey isn't that guy in the regular season and he won't be in the post season, it's nothing against Downey, he knows that, he knows his role and he knows if he does get into the lineup his mintues will be down to around 2 in the game and all in the first period.

Edited by Heaton

In one of the articles I read about Abdelkader's signing, Holland said he will probably be a practice player for the playoffs. I'm sure some of the Griffins will get called up before Abdelkader, should the need arise.

It's doubtful he will see any ice time, but to have him here, practicing with the team will no doubt make quite an impression on him and I'm sure he will be fighting for a roster spot next fall.