• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Sellout: yes or no?

Rate this topic

Another question, whats the excuse for the no-shows? When I check the score sheet for Wings home games it says 19,000+ yet when I watch the highlights, half the arena is empty. The fact of the matter is many Red Wings "fans" have been spoiled over the years and they don't support the team unless they make they Cup Finals.

Well to afford the tickets some us may have to take on a second job... and unless you work for detroit city council it is really impossible to work two different jobs at the same time in different locations during the day... so Nights and weekends get taken up by jobs... ergo... people can't get to the games... or they bought tickets (BEFORE THE SCHEDULE GETS NAILED DOWN) and they find they are working game night...

simple really... even small closed minded individuals should be able to grasp THIS fact.

Add all those variables into a MUCH smaller Pittsburgh (approximately 1/3 the size of Detroit). They sold out ALL tickets in 11 minutes. People camped out overnight and not all of them even got tickets. I can name off the top of my head about 5 or 6 cities that are more of a hockey town than Detroit is.

Pittsburgh has been horrible for a while now, and they finally have a talented and exciting team to rally behind, and one that has legitimate stanley cup hopes.

What 5 or 6 cities are those? And what do you base your selection of those cities on? Attendance? History? Fans that chant crazy things all game long? Do us a favor and leave any canadian city out of it... they are RABID for hockey there...

Also, dont forget the MYRIAD of fans that the Wings have in other cities... there is never a shortage of Wings jersey in most crowds.

Another question, whats the excuse for the no-shows? When I check the score sheet for Wings home games it says 19,000+ yet when I watch the highlights, half the arena is empty. The fact of the matter is many Red Wings "fans" have been spoiled over the years and they don't support the team unless they make they Cup Finals.

Wrong. Again you talk out of your ass.

Most of the lower bowl seats are corporate seats. They dont offer those seats to fans on a season ticket basis for the most part. Were less of a hockey city because businessmen dont show up to all of the games?

Here's a link for you.

NHL Attendance 2008

Detroit is 7th this year in home attendance. Colorado is 17th. Since your team sucks, maybe the fine people of Colorado are feeling a bit spoiled too?

Interestingly, Detroit is 3rd leaguewide for attendance in OTHER CITIES. Colorado is 14th.

That puts Detroit 4th overall combined, and Colorado 18th.

Seems as though more people want to see the wings come to town, and play at home than they do the Crapalanche.

Pittsburgh has been horrible for a while now, and they finally have a talented and exciting team to rally behind, and one that has legitimate stanley cup hopes.

What 5 or 6 cities are those? And what do you base your selection of those cities on? Attendance? History? Fans that chant crazy things all game long? Do us a favor and leave any canadian city out of it... they are RABID for hockey there...

Also, dont forget the MYRIAD of fans that the Wings have in other cities... there is never a shortage of Wings jersey in most crowds.

Wrong. Again you talk out of your ass.

Furthermore (s)he said above that penguins sold on in mins leaving people without tickets in line... Funny how i just went on ticketbastard and found 2 tickets to the game tomorrow (even after the ass kicking they put on last night) Funny how when people actually check facts... the "trolls" get made!

Point of the matter is WE DON'T CARE about your arena.... why do YOU CARE ABOUT OURS?

Here's a link for you.

NHL Attendance 2008

Detroit is 7th this year in home attendance. Colorado is 17th. Since your team sucks, maybe the fine people of Colorado are feeling a bit spoiled too?

Interestingly, Detroit is 3rd leaguewide for attendance in OTHER CITIES. Colorado is 14th.

That puts Detroit 4th overall combined, and Colorado 18th.

Seems as though more people want to see the wings come to town, and play at home than they do the Crapalanche.

It bothers me that Detroit continues to call themselves Hockeytown, when their fans (coroprate seats or not) don't show up for games when they have one of the most exciting teams in the league and have been one of the best for the last 15 years.

About your little attendance rant. Why don't you click the percentage heading at the top and you'll see "Hockeytown" is 16th in the NHL. Colorado is 17th, right behind Detroit. Seeing as how about half the fans show up for a Red Wings game, its safe to say the PepsiCenter holds more people per game,and we didn't even make the playoffs last year or been considerd a egitimate cup threat. Count the tickets accepted at the gates instead of tickets purchased and you'll see Detroit in the bottom five.

PS. - Colorado holds the record for consecutive sellouts at 487, and comes within hundreds of selling out games that aren't at capacity.

Edited by Avalanche Warning

It bothers me that Detroit continues to call themselves HockeyTown, when their fans (coroprate seats or not) don't show up for games when they have one of the most exciting teams in the league and have been one of the best for the last 15 years.

About your little attendance rant. Why don't you click the percentage heading at the top and you'll see "Hockeytown" is 16th in the NHL. Colorado is 17th, right behind Detroit. Seeing as how about half the fans show up for a Red Wings game, its safe to say the Pepsi Center holds more people per game,and we didn't even make the playoffs last year or been considerd a

legitimate cup threat. Count the tickets accepted at the gates instead of tickets purchased and you'll see Detroit in the bottom five.

Ohhhhh SNAP sorry dear... Fact checked again...

Seems good ol' DietPepsiCenter only holds 18,007

We sell that out every night :D

Seems size DOES matter... all you s***ty teams with suck as tiny venues come in here hating on the JLA cause its bigger (only because we have to hang more Banners from the rafters)

I feel in the Ghost hunting mood after watching Jason and Grant last night... so please, by all means, throw out some more unproven claims... I want to debunk some more of your s***... its passing the time away until I GO TO THE GAME...

Edited by OsGOD

Ohhhhh SNAP sorry dear... Fact checked again...

Seems good ol' DietPepsiCenter only holds 18,007

We sell that out every night :D

Seems size DOES matter... all you s***ty teams with suck as tiny venues come in here hating on the JLA cause its bigger (only because we have to hang more Banners from the rafters)

Yes, it SEATS 18007. You can bet they pack the place with standing room tickets that don't show up on the attendance chart. Call it a "Tiny Venue" all you want but the Pepsi Center is a state of the art, top quality arena while the JLA is a dump that is falling apart.

Yes, it SEATS 18007. You can bet they pack the place with standing room tickets that don't show up on the attendance chart. Call it a "Tiny Venue" all you want but the Pepsi Center is a state of the art, top quality arena while the JLA is a dump that is falling apart.

Ours is still BIGGER than yours :P neener neener neener.... cause our sold out SRO section isn't in the numbers then either... we still have 2,000+ more seats than yours... JLA is bigger therefore... yours is smaller...

You can't add in Your SRO tickets and not add in ours... thats just more fuzzy debunkable claims by you... what else you got?

Edited by OsGOD

It bothers me that Detroit continues to call themselves Hockeytown, when their fans (coroprate seats or not) don't show up for games when they have one of the most exciting teams in the league and have been one of the best for the last 15 years.

About your little attendance rant. Why don't you click the percentage heading at the top and you'll see "Hockeytown" is 16th in the NHL. Colorado is 17th, right behind Detroit. Seeing as how about half the fans show up for a Red Wings game, its safe to say the PepsiCenter holds more people per game,and we didn't even make the playoffs last year or been considerd a egitimate cup threat. Count the tickets accepted at the gates instead of tickets purchased and you'll see Detroit in the bottom five.

PS. - Colorado holds the record for consecutive sellouts at 487, and comes within hundreds of selling out games that aren't at capacity.

Where is the link to the numbers of tickets counted at the door?

Also, the % to capacity is all well and good, but the total # of tickets sold, and the per game average count just as much, if not more.

# 1 is 122% whereas #16 is 94 % Damn, we suck because of 6%. At least were still better than you.

And the Pepsi center isnt even 10 years old yet... The Joe is going on 30 years. History. We have more of it.

You didnt forget that the Avalanche were the Nordiques before moving to Colorado did you? A team fell in your lap, it didnt just spring from the ground because the heavens knew that Colorado was divine hockey land. LOL

A crappy team with some great draft picks like Hejduk, Lindros (Which netted you Forseberg and a ton of others including Hextall whom you traded for Deadmarsh and Tanguay), Drury... then they signed Roy, moved, and voila! An Elite team was born. Thrown in your lap.

Weve been a team for 82 years, 76 as the Red wings.

10 cups

21 finals

8 Conference Finals

6 Presidents Trophies

26 Division championships

55 Playoff appearances (Currently 17 consecutive)

51 Hall of Famers

There will be a new rink here before long, then what will you have over us? Cling to it, man, cling to it. LOL

TV view rose up a lot in the metro detroit area this season. So explain why we don't have fans again and should not be called Hockeytown since this is the only way fans are able to show up since that is the the way they can afford to see the Red Wings. While in other cities that are mention are not in a recession and have a rich and stable economy with Jobs being available.

Edited by Jwo

The media buzzards will be all over this.

Illitch refuses to meet the demands of a struggling economy, and until he does so, JLA will have empty seats. It's just too much to ask for the average fan to shell out for one night (roughly 3 hours) of entertainment. Notice that, during the years of the late 90's/early 2000's, the US, and more directly the state of Michigan, was not suffering through an economic resession, at least not the one of epic proportions as seen now.

If the game doesn't sellout tonight, I expect at least 5-10 news articles regarding the removel of the "Hockeytown" title from Detroit, and instead given to Buffalo. Yes, that same Buffalo team that couldn't fill the building themselves this season, and are on the outside looking in during the playoffs.

This place has cheap tickets for the playoff games. I have never used them but I know people here last year used them and had no trouble getting the tix for cheap. Check it out http://www.dailystubs.com/ResultsTicket.as...s+-+Home+Game+1

Now do you know for sure?!?! i asked someone/anyone on here that used them to report back positively or negatively and didn't get anyone response. in fact i called them once on a game day to get tickets and the lady said that i couldn't by todays game on there (insert any game day) because they wouldn't process it in time... this was 4pm est game was at 7:30pm..

I asked her why they still allowed to be bought online and she said, they can be bought, you just won't receive your tickets until NEXT DAY at earliest... so i don't know... i am stil waiting for anyone who has used them to step up with their experience.

I have heard a lot of hearsay about people knowing people.. but never heard from any of the actual people.

TV view rose up a lot in the metro detroit area this season. So explain why we don't have fans again and should not be called Hockeytown since this is the only way fans are able to show up since that is the the way they can afford to see the Red Wings. While in other cities that are mention are not in a recession and have a rich and stable economy with Jobs being available.

Hell i say to all the out of staters... f*** going to the game (obviously you can get tickets) .... TRY TO GET INTO A PUB OR BAR/GRILL on game night without having a ressie...

there is your challenge out of staters... we would rather get a meal and watch the game for $10 rather than a game for $60

Edited by OsGOD

The media buzzards will be all over this.

Illitch refuses to meet the demands of a struggling economy, and until he does so, JLA will have empty seats. It's just too much to ask for the average fan to shell out for one night (roughly 3 hours) of entertainment. Notice that, during the years of the late 90's/early 2000's, the US, and more directly the state of Michigan, was not suffering through an economic resession, at least not the one of epic proportions as seen now.

If the game doesn't sellout tonight, I expect at least 5-10 news articles regarding the removel of the "Hockeytown" title from Detroit, and instead given to Buffalo. Yes, that same Buffalo team that couldn't fill the building themselves this season, and are on the outside looking in during the playoffs.

Don't forget the Sabres threaten to fold/move not too long ago.

Now do you know for sure?!?! i asked someone/anyone on here that used them to report back positively or negatively and didn't get anyone response. in fact i called them once on a game day to get tickets and the lady said that i couldn't by todays game on there (insert any game day) because they wouldn't process it in time... this was 4pm est game was at 7:30pm..

I asked her why they still allowed to be bought online and she said, they can be bought, you just won't receive your tickets until NEXT DAY at earliest... so i don't know... i am stil waiting for anyone who has used them to step up with their experience.

I have heard a lot of hearsay about people knowing people.. but never heard from any of the actual people.

Hell i say to all the out of staters... f*** going to the game (obviously you can get tickets) .... TRY TO GET INTO A PUB OR BAR/GRILL on game night without having a ressie...

there is your challenge out of staters... we would rather get a meal and watch the game for $10 rather than a game for $60

Well I guess I dont know for sure. But I do remember that link was posted on here during last years conference finals and I remember a few guys saying they got tickets for the game that was the same night and it worked out fine. Maybe it just has to be the ones that say they can be emailed. I was going to do it for a game in round 3 last year but never wound up trying.

Add all those variables into a MUCH smaller Pittsburgh (approximately 1/3 the size of Detroit). They sold out ALL tickets in 11 minutes. People camped out overnight and not all of them even got tickets. I can name off the top of my head about 5 or 6 cities that are more of a hockey town than Detroit is.

Exactly, people take the team for granted. Also, those posters who berate me for not coming to the Joe and not understanding what the Michigan economy is like. I lived in Michigan for the first 21 1/2 years of my life. I visit every year and all of my family with the exception of my brother still lives there. I read the Detroit Free Press and News everyday but do not read the Commercial Appeal (Memphis). Its not as if I can't read and determine that the economy is bad. I KNOW that it is bad. However, it does not change the fact that 20,000 people out of 4,000,000 (The number does not include Flint, Saginaw, Grand Rapids) is A VERY SMALL percentage (0.5%).

Thousands of people can afford to go but choose not to. There is nothing wrong with choosing not to go. However, I think people choose not to buy tickets and spend money on something else is because the Wings HAVE WON FOR SO LONG!!! The Wings winning a ton of regular season games and being a Cup favorite is not new anymore. Therefore, it easier for people to say, "I'd rather spend my $200 (tickets) and $100 on gas/parking/food on something else."

Edited by sdogg1m

Its not as if I can't read and determine that the economy is bad. I KNOW that it is bad. However, it does not change the fact that 20,000 people out of 4,000,000 (The number does not include Flint, Saginaw, Grand Rapids) is A VERY SMALL percentage (0.5%).

Again, as stated above, your magic 4 million figure doesnt work. Half of that 4 mil are in the city of Detroit, most of whom dont watch hockey.

Therefore, it easier for people to say, "I'd rather spend my $200 and $100 on gas/parking/food on something else."

Especially when they have no choice. If you say they do, you have NO idea how bad it is here, even with all of your 21 years of Michigan living experience.

Your argument is shallow and not fact based. More people would go if they could, but they cant.

Stop sounding like an elitist *******.

So, am I spoda watch the guys on the ice, or the people in the seats?

Help!

According to the media, the people in the seats. Since there are unfilled seats, or the people in them may not be as passionate as some others, that officially makes Detroit a bad hockey market to them.

Exactly, people take the team for granted. Also, those posters who berate me for not coming to the Joe and not understanding what the Michigan economy is like. I lived in Michigan for the first 21 1/2 years of my life. I visit every year and all of my family with the exception of my brother still lives there. I read the Detroit Free Press and News everyday but do not read the Commercial Appeal (Memphis). Its not as if I can't read and determine that the economy is bad. I KNOW that it is bad. However, it does not change the fact that 20,000 people out of 4,000,000 (The number does not include Flint, Saginaw, Grand Rapids) is A VERY SMALL percentage (0.5%).

Thousands of people can afford to go but choose not to. There is nothing wrong with choosing not to go. However, I think people choose not to buy tickets and spend money on something else is because the Wings HAVE WON FOR SO LONG!!! The Wings a ton of games during the regular season and having a shot each year at the cup is not new anymore. Therefore, it easier for people to say, "I'd rather spend my $200 and $100 on gas/parking/food on something else."

I live in Holland (West Michigan) and I'm guessing a major reason people don't come from this side of the state as much anymore is gas prices. Spending $30 - $50 in gas to get to and from the game + parking + food + tickets, you're looking at a pricey night.

I live in Holland (West Michigan) and I'm guessing a major reason people don't come from this side of the state as much anymore is gas prices. Spending $30 - $50 in gas to get to and from the game + parking + food + tickets, you're looking at a pricey night.

hybrid baby

Again, as stated above, your magic 4 million figure doesnt work. Half of that 4 mil are in the city of Detroit, most of whom dont watch hockey.

Especially when they have no choice. If you say they do, you have NO idea how bad it is here, even with all of your 21 years of Michigan living experience.

Your argument is shallow and not fact based. More people would go if they could, but they cant.

Stop sounding like an elitist *******.

LOL, my argument is shallow and not filled with facts? Yet, you stated that half of the four million Metro Detroiters live in the city of Detroit. Half of four million is two million and last I check Detroit last acheived a population of two million in the 60s.

Also, you said, "Stop sounding like an elitist *******." I don't remember calling anyone a name or talking down to anyone but I do recall posts making a case for why I think that people choose not to attend Red Wings games.

Edited by sdogg1m

LOL, my argument is shallow and not filled with facts? Yet, you stated that half of the four million Metro Detroiters live in the city of Detroit. Half of four million is two million and last I check Detroit last acheived a population of two million in the 60s.

Also, you said, "Stop sounding like an elitist *******." I don't remember calling anyone a name or talking down to anyone but I do recall posts making a case for why I think that people choose not to attend Red Wings games.

wasnt your argument 4 million people in and around detroit?

Wayne county has a population of 1.97 million as of 2007. So Im fairly sure that my facts check out. Unless the michigan census numbers were off...

also, youre basically telling a lot of folks that cant afford hockey tix to stop being lazy., Why not tell a homeless guy to get a job?

Thats where the elitist a-hole bit shines through.

The point is, there arent just 4 million people sitting around deciding not to go to a hockey game.