• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Lineup for Tonight

Rate this topic

Don't you guys understand how important winning faceoffs is in the playoffs? Hartigan is FOURTH on the team just behind Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Draper in that category. Dallas Drake has a 10% lower faceoff %. It's one thing to want Downey in the lineup, that's fine but over Hartigan so we handicap our 4th line? No thanks, may as well not even have a 4th line, it'd put too much strain on the other centers since they'd have to take all of the faceoffs for that line.

i stated it, all you said he would play, and he isn't

Ow man! Buddy you gave the reason because he could cause us s***! But thats not why he is scratched! Your facts on why he shouldn't play were, lets say, s***. Ok, so u said he isn't gonna play, and he is not. Everyone gets lucky!

Anyone here without looking care to wager a guess as to how many post season games Downey has played in the NHL?

Edited by Opie

i stated it, all you said he would play, and he isn't

Yes. Thats what we were all saying in your stupid little thread. The argument was about WHY he should play. Was your argument so unfounded youve had to change it to something completely different?

Not to jump in here I don't think he is a liability beyond the fact he doesn't score or create offense. BUT to you saying he hasn't taken penalties at a bad time, didn't he just start a fight and cost Z a breakaway?

And your argument that Ana has more fighters and plays them more is in fact a product of the start of that statement. On their roster they have 4 enforcers/fighters, that started all season.

Are they supposed to call up Bobby Ryan and the rest of the Portland Pirates to play in the post season, no they dance with who got them there, for them that means most of their fighters play and a guy like Parros sees 5 games of the post season in which they won more than 3x the amount of games he played.

They are the exception to the rule, they have so many guys that fight (as well as do other things) that they have to play the enforcers, you make it out like they choose to dress the enforcers!

Downey's offense has been picking up IMO but that's neither here nor there. The "choice" Anaheim made was to bring in guys that both play AND fight, so they made their choice, they just did it earlier in the season by filling their roster with guys of that ilk. My point was Detroit does not have that luxury so they have to consider starting their #1 guy to have any kind of balance of "enforcement" against teams such as Anaheim. Other teams have similar players too like Shelley, Godard, Boogaard ( all 3 played last night), Ott and Barch in Dallas, etc.

esteef

Can anyone please explain to me why Hartigan is in over Abdelkader? This move makes absolutley no sense at all. Hartigan is useless. He brings nothing useful to the lineup, and about the only thing he does do is take bad hooking penalties. There's a reason why he's a 30 year old journeyman that has never been able to crack even the worst of teams; he sucks.

As for the last roster spot, I'd probably go with Downey, just because he's in better shape than McCarty. Though McCarty did play pretty good against Chicago. We'll see I guess.

Downey's offense has been picking up IMO but that's neither here nor there. The "choice" Anaheim made was to bring in guys that both play AND fight, so they made their choice, they just did it earlier in the season by filling their roster with guys of that ilk. My point was Detroit does not have that luxury so they have to consider starting their #1 guy to have any kind of balance of "enforcement" against teams such as Anaheim. Other teams have similar players too like Shelley, Godard, Boogaard ( all 3 played last night), Ott and Barch in Dallas, etc.

esteef

His offense has been picking up, how? when? where? did you mean he is beginning to smell offensive?

But you are right the Ducks choose that style and the wings don't so why is it that you expect the wings to do something different than they have the last 15 years.

There is no need to start Downey against Nashville, as it is right now, Tootoo may do something stupid, but for christ's sake cheli could destroy Tootoo, s*** I bet in a fair (never going to happen with Tootoo) fight Z could take him!

SJ, ANA, CAL, those are different teams with a lot of physical play and some guys who can throw, then I see a need for a guy of Downey's ilk, and I personally don't think Mac has the ability to play that way anymore. But if he goes out and plays his normal solid game and then beats Tootoo or some one else in a fight you can say goodbye to Downey for these playoffs and next year. Not because Mac is a better fighter, but because he has the element of history. The fans will feed off of a D-mac fight a hell of a lot more than Downey, and if the Joe really starts rocking from a D-mac fight I bet the wings feel the energy. That will make Babs think twice about Downey.

Again at this stage in their careers Downey is the guy I want fighting and D-mac is the guy I want grinding, in the post season the grinder provides more benefit to your team , than the guy who barely plays 4 mins a night and is there in case something happens, instead of a guy out there to make a difference playing D and working in the corners.

Can anyone please explain to me why Hartigan is in over Abdelkader? This move makes absolutley no sense at all. Hartigan is useless. He brings nothing useful to the lineup, and about the only thing he does do is take bad hooking penalties. There's a reason why he's a 30 year old journeyman that has never been able to crack even the worst of teams; he sucks.

As for the last roster spot, I'd probably go with Downey, just because he's in better shape than McCarty. Though McCarty did play pretty good against Chicago. We'll see I guess.

FACE. OFFS.

His offense has been picking up, how? when? where? did you mean he is beginning to smell offensive?

Again at this stage in their careers Downey is the guy I want fighting and D-mac is the guy I want grinding, in the post season the grinder provides more benefit to your team , than the guy who barely plays 4 mins a night and is there in case something happens, instead of a guy out there to make a difference playing D and working in the corners.

C'mon man! Downey just got an assist the other day! :tounge2: For him that's pretty good!

Downey is in better shape physically to handle not only grinding but fighting as well, moreso than what we've seen so far from MAC. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want MAC to play, but if anything HE is the question mark heading into the playoffs, not Downey.

peace,

esteef

Edited by esteef

FACE. OFFS.

So what? The Wings have Draper, along with numerous other centerman who can win faceoffs, but contribute in other ways as well (something Hartigan can't do).

I highly doubt Babcock puts Hartigan out in an important situation to take a faceoff. If he does, than I'll eat crow, but considering Draper is back in tonight, that situation will probably not come up.

So what? The Wings have Draper, along with numerous other centerman who can win faceoffs, but contribute in other ways as well (something Hartigan can't do).

I highly doubt Babcock puts Hartigan out in an important situation to take a faceoff. If he does, than I'll eat crow, but considering Draper is back in tonight, that situation will probably not come up.

He's 4th on the team in FO%, basically what you're saying is, you want a Drake, McCarty, Downey line, but since none of them are actually proficient in winning draws the only way around it is to start Draper or Datsyuk or Zetterberg on the line every single time they have to take a faceoff.

Hartigan has speed and is good on the forecheck. If your line can't win faceoffs, they're not going to be on the ice, period.

He's 4th on the team in FO%, basically what you're saying is, you want a Drake, McCarty, Downey line, but since none of them are actually proficient in winning draws the only way around it is to start Draper or Datsyuk or Zetterberg on the line every single time they have to take a faceoff.

Hartigan has speed and is good on the forecheck. If your line can't win faceoffs, they're not going to be on the ice, period.

I said I wanted Abdelkader in the lineup, not a Drake - Downey - McCarty line. The only time I ever suggested that was in the last few regular season games. Stop putting words into my mouth.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I said I wanted Abdelkader in the lineup, not a Drake - Downey - McCarty line. The only time I ever suggested that was in the last few regular season games. Stop putting words into my mouth.

None of them are centers, that's the major point you're missing.

C'mon man! Downey just got an assist the other day! :tounge2: For him that's pretty good!

Downey is in better shape physically to handle not only grinding but fighting as well, moreso than what we've seen so far from MAC. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want MAC to play, but if anything HE is the question mark heading into the playoffs, not Downey.

peace,

esteef

You are right there is no question about what Downey can and can't do, he can fight, he can hit.

That is about all did I miss something?

The only one of those two things Mac has yet to show he can do is fight, and as I have said before this is not the series that a fighter will be needed. So therefore the one thing we know Downey is proficient at is really not necessary in this series, at this juncture. So why not start Mac game one, if he shows nothing, or Nashville proves that Downey needs to be in the line up, than he is in.

Aaron Downey will not play many games if any in the post season, the sooner people come to terms with that the better. He wasn't good enough (skill wise not fighting) to log more that 6-7 minutes a game, even when the team was short 4-5 forwards, what on earth makes any of you think his skill will help in the post season. Fights in the playoffs happen a lot less often. The only time they happen is when a completely atrocious act happens.

I admit Downey played his role great in the regular season, however in the post season there is less room for his skill set and role.

What is wrong with you guys that think Downey should play over McCarty?

The experience that McCarty brings, tons of playoff games, 3 cups and not to mention some big playoff goals at big times. Any Downey playoff goals come to mind? Or playoff experience? I'll tell you: Downey has 5 career playoff games, 0 pts. I don't care that McCarty is older now, simply the POSIBILITY that he could show a little of his past self is enough to put him in the lineup, period.

He also is usually pretty close to 50% on draws.

This is one of my biggest concerns with the Wings heading into the playoffs. I'm not as worried about the physical aspect as I have in the past, but they just seem horrible on faceoffs. I know Draper will help a lot, but they waste so much time on power plays chasing the puck down that it's going to haunt them eventually.