• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Where's the passion? Where are the fans?

Rate this topic

You'd expect this to be an article ragging on the Wings, right?

Nope. It's about the "fanbase" of the defending champs.

Marcia Smith: Where's the passion for the Ducks?

One part of this article seems especially appropriate to quote on here:

If the Ducks were the Detroit Red Wings, a chunk of the Michigan workforce would be taking a sick day to save their rooting energy and stuff their underpants with octopi for the opening round of the NHL playoffs.

There were a lot stumped looks, shaking heads and shoulder shrugs when people were asked what big event was starting at Honda Center on Thursday night.

"The circus?" guessed one woman.

"It's Springsteen, Bruce Springsteen, right?" answered Roman Gomez, 39, of Anaheim, driving into Angel Stadium with a team car flag fluttering from his rear window. "No, wait. He was already here. What is it?"

That is too classic. :lol:

Why would anyone care? It's Disneyland for crying out loud. Putting an NHL team in a non-hockey market, in a country that for the most part hates hockey is never a good idea. I'm surprised when any of these southern teams have any fans.

There were a lot stumped looks, shaking heads and shoulder shrugs when people were asked what big event was starting at Honda Center on Thursday night.

"The circus?" guessed one woman.

"It's Springsteen, Bruce Springsteen, right?" answered Roman Gomez, 39, of Anaheim, driving into Angel Stadium with a team car flag fluttering from his rear window. "No, wait. He was already here. What is it?"

That is too classic. :lol:

That is quite possibly the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. What's even more pathetic that half of their "fans" still don't know the difference between the goal line and the blue line.

That is quite possibly the most pathetic thing I have ever heard. What's even more pathetic that half of their "fans" still don't know the difference between the goal line and the blue line.

And my forever favorite - they clap for icing...regular in game non-pk icing....

I love the comments at the bottom of the article from the so-called "fans" :rolleyes:

you should see ottawa right now. last year was crazy, car flags everywhere, everyone wearing jerseys, a local rapper made this terrible song about the sens but you still heard it everywhere. the city really surprised me because my whole life i made fun of ottawa for not having any real fans. they even projected the games on the front of city hall!

this year there are no car flags and i dont see hardly a single jersey on the streets. no one seems to care and most people just reach into their closets where they kept their old habs jerseys and they rock those now. i swear there are more wings fans here than ottawa ones. its really quite pathetic and they are the essence of fair weather fans.

As a lot of you people on here know I do live in the Ducks market. I live about 25 miles from Honda Center, and work about 6 miles from it. The buzz is definetly not here this year. Duck fans are your most fairweather fans in the league. For those who don't know, but they play in the very wealthy Orange County. Lots of money for fairweather fans that can throw down 8300 a season for season tickets. Its all about the bandwaggon here! Fortunately there are fans like this that keep this team here. That way I get to see my Wings play in person a couple times a year!

What a Surprise, Roman Gomez doesnt know about hockey. LOL

Where are the fans, where is the passion over on the left coast??

Probably focused too much on crowd watching at the JLA looking for a chance to make fun of non-sellouts at the joe that would still ecllipse the max at the ponda center!

that would be awesome

I want the Wings to take em out. Remember in the old days when Colorado would beat us, then we would beat them. It was awesome! Now any team that comes close to having a rivalry with us sucks the next year.

Who can oppose the Wings? (long term)

Guest CaliWingsNut

add another win for the stars tonight... I'm pretty happy with that prediction.

you should see ottawa right now. last year was crazy, car flags everywhere, everyone wearing jerseys, a local rapper made this terrible song about the sens but you still heard it everywhere. the city really surprised me because my whole life i made fun of ottawa for not having any real fans. they even projected the games on the front of city hall!

this year there are no car flags and i dont see hardly a single jersey on the streets. no one seems to care and most people just reach into their closets where they kept their old habs jerseys and they rock those now. i swear there are more wings fans here than ottawa ones. its really quite pathetic and they are the essence of fair weather fans.

You should know hockey fans in Canada, they all hate one team all of the time, love one team all of the time, and the like the rest when they are beating the big bad american teams....

What a Surprise, Roman Gomez doesnt know about hockey. LOL

Scott's father deserves a little bit more respect than that! The Gomez's comprise 96% of the leagues hispanic fandom!

EDIT: FWIW, Mendoza from the Mighty Ducks movie makes up the other 4%. Though he seems to have shapeshifted into the worthless Martin Erat in recent years.

Edited by Probert 5 For Fighting

As a lot of you people on here know I do live in the Ducks market. I live about 25 miles from Honda Center, and work about 6 miles from it. The buzz is definetly not here this year. Duck fans are your most fairweather fans in the league. For those who don't know, but they play in the very wealthy Orange County. Lots of money for fairweather fans that can throw down 8300 a season for season tickets. Its all about the bandwaggon here! Fortunately there are fans like this that keep this team here. That way I get to see my Wings play in person a couple times a year!

Have to comment on this one as I did in another post...

First of all the fan base this year is the one of the worst I've ever seen since I've been a Ducks fan and that's because of the Ducks' management decision to sell 2 season tickets and then give 2 away with their playoff package last year. Lots of bandwaggoners did take them up on that offer. That left about 1.500 affordable tix for the regular, non-fairweather fan to buy each game this year. Those two extra seats were almost always empty since the "fan" that got them tried to auction them off at a ridiculous price to pay for the two he did sit in and this year's or last year's playoff tickets. This was the first time in 10 years that I couldn't get a ticket for the opening game that wouldn't have cost as much as a playoff ticket so I didn't go. The management isn't doing it this year though and I don't know how many "fans" from last year will renew their tickets.

And Orange County isn't as rich as last year at this point in time either. The subprime market that was once king here has ruined a lot of people's lives. I was one of the few Ducks posters last year that defended the non-sellouts in Detroit because of the economic issues keeping fans from buying tickets and now it's hit Orange County. The only buzz here right now is the price of gas, food, and how much value your house has lost.

Orange County may never be the hotbed that Detroit is for hockey and you can continue to hold that over our heads for as long as you want to, but hockey is alive out here...it's just that people like Marcia Smith won't comment on that part of it. A week ago, there was a team from my son's hockey club, LA Selects out of the LA Hockey Club, that beat your Detroit Honeybaked team for the National PWAAA Championship. Four other teams from the club also made it to the National Championships as well. Those of us who are real fans of the game know what inroads are being made here in SoCal with hockey even though it is taking time.

A week ago, there was a team from my son's hockey club, LA Selects out of the LA Hockey Club, that beat your Detroit Honeybaked team for the National PWAAA Championship. Four other teams from the club also made it to the National Championships as well. Those of us who are real fans of the game know what inroads are being made here in SoCal with hockey even though it is taking time.

I hate the company, but i wear their hat because its cool :D

Have to comment on this one as I did in another post...

First of all the fan base this year is the one of the worst I've ever seen since I've been a Ducks fan and that's because of the Ducks' management decision to sell 2 season tickets and then give 2 away with their playoff package last year. Lots of bandwaggoners did take them up on that offer. That left about 1.500 affordable tix for the regular, non-fairweather fan to buy each game this year. Those two extra seats were almost always empty since the "fan" that got them tried to auction them off at a ridiculous price to pay for the two he did sit in and this year's or last year's playoff tickets. This was the first time in 10 years that I couldn't get a ticket for the opening game that wouldn't have cost as much as a playoff ticket so I didn't go. The management isn't doing it this year though and I don't know how many "fans" from last year will renew their tickets.

And Orange County isn't as rich as last year at this point in time either. The subprime market that was once king here has ruined a lot of people's lives. I was one of the few Ducks posters last year that defended the non-sellouts in Detroit because of the economic issues keeping fans from buying tickets and now it's hit Orange County. The only buzz here right now is the price of gas, food, and how much value your house has lost.

Orange County may never be the hotbed that Detroit is for hockey and you can continue to hold that over our heads for as long as you want to, but hockey is alive out here...it's just that people like Marcia Smith won't comment on that part of it. A week ago, there was a team from my son's hockey club, LA Selects out of the LA Hockey Club, that beat your Detroit Honeybaked team for the National PWAAA Championship. Four other teams from the club also made it to the National Championships as well. Those of us who are real fans of the game know what inroads are being made here in SoCal with hockey even though it is taking time.

Don't forget about "Tent city".

For those who do not watch the news, their is a empty lot filled with lot's of tents nicknamed "Shanty town" somewhere in the LA area due to losing their homes. It's looks like a third world refuge camp.