• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Casey

The Toledo Storm

Rate this topic

Granted, the ECHL is a few steps below the NHL, but is there any news on if the Wings will officially re-affiliate with Toledo in 2009? Thanks to our idiot mayor, the Storm went dormant (and will be back with a thoroughly hideous new name/logo), but I like the prospect of heading back on the East Side and maybe seeing some future Wings.

Granted, the ECHL is a few steps below the NHL, but is there any news on if the Wings will officially re-affiliate with Toledo in 2009? Thanks to our idiot mayor, the Storm went dormant (and will be back with a thoroughly hideous new name/logo), but I like the prospect of heading back on the East Side and maybe seeing some future Wings.

Yeah, I just saw what the Toledo team was going to be called the Walleyes. Although the Storm logo was pretty lame to.

Yeah, the Storm logo was lame, but at least the name wasn't vile. The Toledo Walleye, though? Why on Earth did they pick something you can snag out of Erie with a chunk of day-old bread?

Why does Cleveland have a team named the Lake Erie Monsters? Same reason for the Toledo Walleye. Goofy name. Gets people attention right away. Plus, minor league teams should never be serious. Look at the Toledo Mud Hens. Their name is just as goofy.

Edited by poxer

Exactly. Toledo Storm weren't that bad but I'm sure the city will try to pressure them to have winning seasons so the arena sells out. And just think if Toledo go an AFL team too. That would be awesome.

The Mud Hens win...so who cares about their name.

They win, for now. Considering the Tigers are 22-31, they may get gutted again, just like '05. We can hope not, though! :)

Yeah, the Storm logo was lame, but at least the name wasn't vile. The Toledo Walleye, though? Why on Earth did they pick something you can snag out of Erie with a chunk of day-old bread?

Well they probably didn't feel that the "Toledo Deadguys" would mesh well :lol:

I think a couple reasons they changed the names is

1) the old owner of the Storm had so much debt with the team that the new owners (the toledo mudhens organization) didnt want to pay it off?? heard this from a guy at work whos talekd with the old storm coach about it.

2) Just start new with name, logo, etc. to go with the new building which from the looks is ging to be a gorgoeus place and cant wait to go to a couple games.

I just cant wait to see minor league hockey back in toledo. Might even get season tickets depending on the cost of them. But do miss the old toledo sports arena for hockey and concerts!

Anyone else on here go to any storm games??

I had so much fun during the 91 season, and moved away just after the 92 season... tried to follow, but that was very hard to do in San Diego.

I was younger then, so I'd probably hate the Toledo Sports Arena, so I'm glad they're getting a new facility.

I loved the old place.. you coudl be in teh "nose bleeds" and still get smoked pretty good with a nice shot. the side glass was maybe 3 ft high so you could easily touch players or hang over. only the PA announcer who i knew personally was the only thing keeping the players in the penalty box from beating the s*** out of each other while in the sin bin.. see if ya can get on flickr or something and find pics.. it looks pretty much the exact same as the arena from Slap Shot. i heard it was designed by the same guy so who knows?

Unless the IHL starts picking up the pace and becomes a solid prospect league...I'm sure the Wings will go back with Toledo. They had a good affiliation for a number of years. Not to many players wen't to the Wings but Grand Rapids and Toledo worked quite well together. Sending a player from Grand Rapids to Port Huron is kind of lame and a waste of time. It could work to get there confidence up though. Walleyes start in 09-10 so if the IHL doesn't become a very competitive league by the start of next season we should see them go back to Toledo for there farm club. Last year Fort Wayne was made the league pretty non-compeitive. Port Huron had a strong season but Fort Wayne just embarresed the league.