• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
seeinred

Avery's Screen

Rate this topic

Both TSN and CBC analysts were crucifying Avery for screening Brodeur the way he did. If you didn't see it, check out this clip and see how you feel about it.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what he was doing. If you want to take yourself out of a play like that to distract the goalie, then go for it. It wasn't dirty, and I really don't see anything unsportsmanlike about it. The only difference between this and a normal screen is the way that Avery was facing.

I had no problem with it. If anyone had gotten a penalty out of that, it should've been Brodeur for trying to punch Avery in the face, not Avery for the supposed 'unsportsman like conduct' that the analysts mentioned.

I also agree that it should've been the defenceman's job to deal with him.

Looked like pass interference in the NFL. Gotta be lookin' at the ball. No rule like that in the NHL though. I just love that it was Avery that did it, like he thought to himself, "How could I be an even bigger *******? A-HA!"

I thought it was both creative and funny, nothign wrong with that granted I think screening a goalie with your face to the puck is a lot more effective. I am however surpised a defense men didn't deck hi one for that.

I saw it on tv. I saw nothing wrong with. In fact, I actually found it really funny; making it worse was the fact that he scored prettying much right after that. I mean, how annoying would that be, when you are trying to make a save and you have someone standing 1/2 foot from you starring at you in the eyes.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

I just watched the replay and at first I was confused about what the hell he was trying to do. He looked like an ass jumping around in front of Marty, but then I realized it was Avery and since he's an ass already it wasn't that surprising. If this was basketball then we would say "good defense, way to get a hand in the shooter's face", but this isn't the NBA. I know there's no "rule" preventing it in the NHL, and i'm not sure if there should be either.

What would happen if all 4 defenders on the ice simply lined up in front of the net during a pp? Their bodies and the goalies in front of the net would make it impossible to get a puck through. Again it's not in the rule book that they can't do it so why don't they? Well, other than the fact that they don't have the padding (not to say they couldn't wear extra), it comes down to tradition. Tradition says that the way to kill a penalty is to "play the box" keep the other team on the outside and clear the crease to let your goalie see the puck. Just because it's something that teams don't do doesn't mean that it wouldn't work. Before Bobby Orr came along, defensemen didn't carry the puck or rush up ice with it very much either. Avery may have (unknowingly) hit upon something different that teams might want to try on the pp.

Rather than putting your back to the goalie why not try to face him and block his line of sight? Our gut reaction to this is that because it was Avery who did it then it was a cheap, classless, illegal act. But was it? Again, other sports allow this type of play; basketball, volleyball, lacrosse, and even water polo all allow defenders to try and screen the other player's line of sight by getting their body and hands in their face. Avery simply tried to block Marty's line of sight, not unlike what Homer does but Avery did it FACING the goalie and clearly had no interest in tipping or redirecting the puck whatsoever. His screening Marty might be secondary to pissing him off in this strategy, but if the puck goes in the net, then it's effective. If Avery hits him, or interferes with Marty then it's a penalty for sure. If he just tries to block his view then why not allow it? It may not prove to be all that effective over time, if the goalie can ignore the screener and look around him then really the guy doing the screening isn't very effective as he can't see the play, tip the puck, redirect the puck, or even move with the play as well as if his back was to the goalie.

Bottom line: I don't think it's illegal, but I don't think it would be as effective as screening with your back to the goalie. Is Avery "crossing the line" by doing that? No, what he did was unusual, innovative and annoying but if Franz or Homer had did it we wouldn't be as outraged. Will the league do something to prevent it? I doubt it as other than it being annoying and irritating, it doesn't break any rules that I can see. I'm very interested in what other LGW'ers have to say about it though...

Nothing wrong with it--I found it absolutely hilarious...Avery just keeps coming up with new and creative ways to annoy the crap out of the opposing team. If the Devils didn't like it, they should have put someone on Avery to take care of it.

:lol::clap: When you think you see it all, here comes avery lookin like a tool. My issue is that it is even an issue, so why is TSN making such a big deal about it? Anger, yeah if someone did that to Dom I would be piss so I can understand if Devils fans are pissed, but I am a wings fan even things they do wrong I get mad about. It is the Devils fault they did not clear his butt away! Funny video, I must have missed that part of the game.

PS If the team on a power play just tried to stack there defense men in front of the net, the opposing team could still score for a multitude of reasons. I think that is actually done, maybe called protect the net defensive play. I am not 100% though.

:lol::clap: When you think you see it all, here comes avery lookin like a tool. My issue is that it is even an issue, so why is TSN making such a big deal about it? Anger, yeah if someone did that to Dom I would be piss so I can understand if Devils fans are pissed, but I am a wings fan even things they do wrong I get mad about. It is the Devils fault they did not clear his butt away! Funny video, I must have missed that part of the game.

PS If the team on a power play just tried to stack there defense men in front of the net, the opposing team could still score for a multitude of reasons. I think that is actually done, maybe called protect the net defensive play. I am not 100% though.

No it's not something that has ever been tried intentionally; mostly due to the fact that most players don't wanna face 100mph slap shots coming at their necks and heads unless they ARE a goalie, lol. There's a big difference between going down to block a shot with your shin pads and standing there like a pylon while the other team can simply fire away till they either injure all your players or sneak one through yur five-hole (yikes!). I was just looking for an example of something that could be used as a tactic due to it not being specified as "illegal" according to the NHL rulebook.

Ever stand on an elevator and have someone face YOU instead of the door like most people do? It is the weirdest thing ever, and freaked me out. That's exactly what Avery did, and I thought it was hilarious. He deserved to be knocked out by a d-man, but instead didn't he get a goalie stick between the legs from Brodeur? Freaken Avery, what will he do next?

Edited by HockeytownRN

Ever stand on an elevator and have someone face YOU instead of the door like most people do? It is the weirdest thing ever, and freaked me out. That's exactly what Avery did, and I thought it was hilarious. He deserved to be knocked out be a d-man, but instead didn't he get a goalie stick between the legs from Brodeur? Freaken Avery, what will he do next?

Remember when Lapointe got nailed between the legs by Roy way back when he was facing away? Ha!

My father got a little laugh out of it... It is no different than the catcher chattering with a person up to bat in baseball.

You know, it's funny, but I'm glad avery isn't on the Wings. What a donkey's rear end.