1414 replies to this topic

#1341 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Packer487 @ April 17, 2008 - 12:12AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since everyone else gets to blame their favorite whipping boy, I guess it's only fair that I get to point out that it sure is a good thing that we didn't acquire Fedorov or Prospal for basically nothing at the trade deadline.... rolleyes.gif

Need I remind you THIS team was the top team in the regular season. We can beat any team in the league if we play a full 60 minutes. To bring up the deadline is such a cop out. Any coward can make up a million excuses. Thats what separates winners from losers.
"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1342 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:19 PM

Ay yi yi.. where to start?

Wings weren't sharp tonight till the middle of the 2nd period. The Preds were taking it to them all night and pressuring the hell outta them. We need to CLEAR the puck out of our zone and not keep it in there for minutes at a time.

The PP has been really bad and needs some work big time. They have to get it sorted out and soon.

Ozzie needs to start Game 5. I gave Dom a chance. I really did, and I am not trying to be mean but you cannot give up 2 goals at a time seconds apart and you cannot give up a goal the second we get back in the game. That was an awful 3rd goal he gave up. Ozzie needs to start and if he doesn't then i'm calling BS and wouldn't know what to think of it. He was SO composed out there and was extremely sharp and quick. We need that. The Wings were really feeding off of him. Keep him in net. It's not a bash on Hasek, it's just what NEEDS to be done if they want to get things rolling again.

Don't worry ladies and gents, we will win this series. Just gotta make a few adjustments.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#1343 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:20 PM

Bruce MacLeod:

Who will start in goal for the Red Wings in Friday's Game 5? Mike Babcock said after tonight's game that he has "a pretty good idea", but he's not saying. Babcock said that he wants to think about it for a while longer before saying whether Chris Osgood or Dominik Hasek will be in net.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#1344 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Packer487 @ April 16, 2008 - 11:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since everyone else gets to blame their favorite whipping boy, I guess it's only fair that I get to point out that it sure is a good thing that we didn't acquire Fedorov or Prospal for basically nothing at the trade deadline.... rolleyes.gif

Yes, because goals from the blue line that are not tipped that go through the five hole that cost them the game that are scored on ''the dominator'' 11 seconds after they pull it to within one is acceptable.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#1345 Wildwings44

Wildwings44

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

*Hasek played poorly - just shoot it at him, it will go in
*There is no place/spot on this team for Sammy
*Flip,Cleary, and Franz have not been playing well
*Defense not shooting the puck - it works for them
*At times, getting in too deep to the net and having the rebound go by
*Not responding to adversity
GO WINGS!!!

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" - Shakespeare

"Do or do not, there is not try" - Yoda

"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."

#1346 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

I can't believe some of us, myself included, were concerned with Stuart wanting to live in California after this season.

I say good riddance. This guy is about as useful as having a pair of brass knuckles when you're being attacked by a polar bear.

He sucks.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#1347 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

I swear to god, Mike Ilitch needs to drop Babcock if Dom starts in Game 5. I love Dom, I really do, but his time has passed, Ozzie is gonna take over and you cant argue with how well he played this year. In the all star game, best GAA in the season, 27 wins.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1348 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ April 17, 2008 - 12:52AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe some of us, myself included, were concerned with Stuart wanting to live in California after this season.

I say good riddance. This guy is about as useful as having a pair of brass knuckles when you're being attacked by a polar bear.

He sucks.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I agree though, Stuart isnt looking too good. It's those goddamn CCM helmets, they are the ugliest things I've ever seen. Mac needs to go find his old Nike Bauer 97 helmet and put that on, Stuart, just go back to RBK.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1349 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (Detroit # 1 Fan @ April 16, 2008 - 10:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prospal I'd take in a heartbeat, Fedorov no, he's too slow to have an offensive impact anymore.

He did have 13 points in 18 games after he got traded to Washington. He hasn't done much in the playoffs, but he definitely could've helped our second power play unit. And the Caps gave up nothing to get him.

I still think it was basically criminal to not acquire a forward at the deadline.

Need I remind you THIS team was the top team in the regular season. We can beat any team in the league if we play a full 60 minutes. To bring up the deadline is such a cop out. Any coward can make up a million excuses. Thats what separates winners from losers.

I'm just saying, if everyone gets to blame Hasek, it's only fair that I get to blame Holland, since our second PP unit clearly sucks, and yet again we're having issues putting the puck in the net. Hopefully things change. It'd be nice for guys like Z and Flip to wake up at some point.

#1350 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (Detroit # 1 Fan @ April 17, 2008 - 12:22AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I swear to god, Mike Ilitch needs to drop Babcock if Dom starts in Game 5. I love Dom, I really do, but his time has passed, Ozzie is gonna take over and you cant argue with how well he played this year. In the all star game, best GAA in the season, 27 wins.

Seriously, do not be surprised if Dom is back in the net. SERIOUSLY.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#1351 OZPWNSHASEK

OZPWNSHASEK

Prospect

• Restricted
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:25 PM

its all dom haseks fault

#1352 awingsincebirth

awingsincebirth

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

Alright, so that was vomit-inducing, I'm sure that we can all admit it.
Negatives:
-Dom seems to have overstayed his welcome in our net....plain and simple. I'm ready for Ozzy.
-Does anyone else get that huge weight in the pit of their stomach whenever a N-Ville defender winds up for a point shot?? Ya, thats because they've pretty much scored all of their legitimate goals(excluding goals in game 2) from there. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but their D are pinching into the play a bit, and our wingers aren't picking them up in time. All their offense is being generated from shots from the back end. That may partially be attributed to Hasek's erratic style, but I think we really need to get out there and make sure those shots don't get through.
-Flip is playing like a genuine liability right now. He's putting himself in situations to get scoring chances (which is a good thing) but he seems absolutely incapable of doing anything with them. It's not like he's getting off good shots and getting stoned. It's not even like he's getting off weak shots for easy stops. He's straight up fanning on almost every shot he goes to take. He's an absolute enigma right now and I think Babs should seriously consider scratching him for a game.
-Cleary is clearly still being affected by his injury, and who knows how long it is gonna take to get him back to 100%. He just doesn't have the strength to play with the fire and enery that made him so dangerous last year in the playoffs and earlier this season. It's really unfortunate, and I really hope he can find another way to have more of an impact.
-Rafalski still has looked sub-par, to say the least. He's making irresponsible plays in the defensive zone (not the only one, obviously) and he is not off setting it nearly enough with his offensive potency. He's got to pick it up and I think he knows it.
-Too many times I saw Zetts try and gain the zone by carrying it in through 2 or 3 defensemen. He just can't do that. He's either got to try and carry it wide, or dump and pursue, anything but what he was doing because it absolutely kills a rush.
-Finally, I was really dissapointed in how for the last 5 minutes or so, we really weren't able to generate any sort of sustained pressure. Especially disturbing is the fact that, for the second straight game, we have done NOTHING at all with the goalie pulled. When you've got 6 on 5, you can't keep trying to finesse it into the zone, you've got to dumo, bump, and use your numbers to generate something. That's not happening right now.

Alright, sweet

Positives:
-We dominated the third period, and played better that period than any other in the series I think. Homer was a beast in the period, and Dats looked good in the second and third, I thought.
-I've got all the faith in the world in Ozzy, and he played very well tonite. No doubt that if he can be a real stable back-stop like he was tonite, the confidence will affect the rest of the team from the net out.
-I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I love seeing Kronwall pick his spots and go in for the kill. Other than game 1, he's kept it clean. I think he is very smart in knowing when to go for it and when to hold back. I think that if either of those big hits (from games 3 or 4) came at home, it could have been a more effective momentum swinger.
-Hey, we're going back to the Joe. You know what they say: you're not in trouble in the playoffs until you lose at home. I've still got faith. If we can carry the third period into game 5 (and at this point, it is an IF), we shouldn't have much of a problem.

I think in general the fact that it is 2-2 is more dissapointing than it was last year because Ellis is not the reason that we are losing like Kipper was. There are stretches of time where we are being flat out outplayed, and I think that is where the "No Heart" argument tends to come from. With our talent, they should never be able to outplay us for such long stretches. The fact that players are taking shifts, periods, even nights off is puzzling and incredibly frustrating for the fans. It needs to be worked out - and fast - starting with the coaches and poriferating down to the players. Play with desperation, but not with panic. Look up at the scoreboard, realize that your involved in a best of 3 series against a dangerous opponent, and then play like your the best team in the NHL.

No excuses. No fears. No superstitions. Just heart, guts, and glory.

Go Wings!!

(longest post I've ever written by far lol)

"I can taste another long run," Lidstrom said. "I can feel it in this room. The guys are getting that focused look in their eyes."

#1353 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Wildwings44 @ April 17, 2008 - 12:22AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Hasek played poorly - just shoot it at him, it will go in
*There is no place/spot on this team for Sammy
*Flip,Cleary, and Franz have not been playing well
*Defense not shooting the puck - it works for them
*At times, getting in too deep to the net and having the rebound go by
*Not responding to adversity

Our defense are not shooting the puck because Nashville is covering them VERY VERY well. Lots of pressure and forcing us to the perimeter. Even on the powerplay we have NO time at the point. It's tough because we rely hugely on that. Gotta give Nashville credit they have adapted to our system very well.
"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1354 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (dallas27 @ April 16, 2008 - 10:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, because goals from the blue line that are not tipped that go through the five hole that cost them the game that are scored on ''the dominator'' 11 seconds after they pull it to within one is acceptable.

Find a post where I said it was. I was pretty clear about my thoughts on that one.

It's about as acceptable as scoring 2 goals on 40 shots and having like 2 forwards come to play.

#1355 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

QUOTE (Firehawk @ April 17, 2008 - 12:55AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, do not be surprised if Dom is back in the net. SERIOUSLY.

I wont be, but everyone knows it'd be the wrong decision.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1356 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

QUOTE (Detroit # 1 Fan @ April 16, 2008 - 11:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif laugh.gif

I agree though, Stuart isnt looking too good. It's those goddamn CCM helmets, they are the ugliest things I've ever seen. Mac needs to go find his old Nike Bauer 97 helmet and put that on, Stuart, just go back to RBK.

Here's another joke. Him and Kronwall have about as much chemistry and Ben and J-Lo in Gigli.

This pairing needs to be broken up immediately.

#1357 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ April 17, 2008 - 12:22AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He sucks.

Yeah, I've done a complete 180 on Stuart. He's just a waste of a roster space. Turnovers, inability to keep the puck in at the blue line and so on. Really only useful in a depth role if, god forbid, one of our regulars goes down. I wouldn't have complained as much if Babcock had swapped out Stuart for Lebda instead of Lilja. He's Cory Cross 2K8.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#1358 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Packer487 @ April 17, 2008 - 12:24AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He did have 13 points in 18 games after he got traded to Washington. He hasn't done much in the playoffs, but he definitely could've helped our second power play unit. And the Caps gave up nothing to get him.

I still think it was basically criminal to not acquire a forward at the deadline.

I'm just saying, if everyone gets to blame Hasek, it's only fair that I get to blame Holland, since our second PP unit clearly sucks, and yet again we're having issues putting the puck in the net. Hopefully things change. It'd be nice for guys like Z and Flip to wake up at some point.

No what you're saying is since everyone else is being irrational you want to be irrational too. Why don't you be wise and take the higher road?
Vince Lombardi

#1359 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ April 17, 2008 - 12:57AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's another joke. Him and Kronwall have about as much chemistry and Ben and J-Lo in Gigli.

This pairing needs to be broken up immediately.

laugh.gif

Kronwall needs to play with Lidstrom IMO. He can jump up and crush Nashvilles players, while having Nick cover for him.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1360 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (edicius @ April 16, 2008 - 11:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I've done a complete 180 on Stuart. He's just a waste of a roster space. Turnovers, inability to keep the puck in at the blue line and so on. Really only useful in a depth role if, god forbid, one of our regulars goes down. I wouldn't have complained as much if Babcock had swapped out Stuart for Lebda instead of Lilja. He's Cory Cross 2K8.

Except Cross actually had a fight here.

Are we sure that Stuart is Canadian? He looks more like Swiss cheese out there? No physicality whatsoever.