• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Will You Be Surprised If We Lose?

Rate this topic

Surprised...no.

Disappointed....most definitely. Also very depressed!

If I've come to learn one thing being a wings fan over the past few years (and an Atlanta Braves fan from back in the day when they couldn't make it to the world series or would make it and lose) its that sometimes the better team doesn't win. I think we saw that last year with the wings losing to the ducks...i definitely think we were the better team, but we just weren't able to get things going our way.

So I won't be surprised if we lose, but I'll be extremely disappointed because its another great regular season followed by a greatly underachieving playoff run. I'm realistic enough to know that we can't win the cup every year, but I like to see the Wings play into may every now and then.......

Guest MrSandMan

I'm more surprised about the meltdown on LGW right now. Series is tied 2-2 and the boards are full of negativity and act like it's about over. c'mon people, pull it together!

/close thread

I'm more surprised about the meltdown on LGW right now. Series is tied 2-2 and the boards are full of negativity and act like it's about over. c'mon people, pull it together!

/close thread

dude what? have you really been a member here for more than 1 playoff run? Hahaha this isn't a shock

the red wings are chockers!!! We suck Nashville is better because they actually score goals unlike us... scoring 2 goals isnt gonna win you games..we are making Ellis look good <.<

No.

The Wings are still playing regular season hockey. You would think that some of our players would get the hint that you need to take it to the next level at this time of year.

Wait a minute, how exactly is Nashville the weakest first round matchup we've had all decade? They are big and physical, have a good young defensive corps, they can skate and they have some guys who can capitalize on scoring chances. I don't think thiy're getting enough credit on these boards.

That being said, I would be surprised if we lost. The main reason Nashville is where they are is because of a few soft goals. The wings are the better team, and I stil think we'll take this series in 6.

This is just like last year. We dominated Calgary even in their building last year but lost games 3,4 and won the series in six. I am confident that this will happen again this year. Nothing is suppose to come easy.

I hope your right. The only thing that was different between our series with Calgary last year is that we played awesome physically in the first two games - which translated into 9 goals. We got away from that style of play in games 3 and 4 but found it again in games 5 and 6.

Through 4 games of this series we look like the same horribly soft team from years past. A team that wants to rest on it's regular season lorals and believes that they can exert the same effor they had in January to win games in April.

That's not going to happen.

I know that Nashville is a good team. But they are easily the weakest team of the 8 in the Western Conference.

We have a LOT more depth than them and a LOT more playoff experience. This should have been a 4 game sweep. 5 games at the most.

In 48 hours, we went from a team that was up 2 games to none, to a team that has no idea who their starting goalie will be on Friday or a team that can't seem to score or create any chances when Dats and Zetts aren't on the ice.

I don't care if we get past Nashville or not. It's quite obvious to me we're not close to being a contender this season. It's time to flush out some of our players. To win the cup you need to take chances. Holland is not a gambling man. Get someone in there who's willing to make some hard trades. Filpulla is the first that needs to go. Despite being completely invisible and useless in this series, he still has a high stock value. Go get a big, mean scoring winger for him. And then let Sammy go and trade Hudler and Lebda for some size and muscle too.

I, honestly, never expect to beat any team in a playoff series. Sure, I think we should beat certain teams, and that we are capable of beating any team in a series, but I NEVER expect it. After the Ducks Debacle in 03, and the Oilers in 06 I learned that the Wings (any version of them) can be beaten by any team over the course of 7 games (or 4).

But if we were to lose to the Preds in this series will you be genuinely surprised?

No.

DISCLAIMER: I am not being a Negative Nancy or a doom-and-gloomer, just trying to keep things in perspective here.

1999: 2nd round, led 2-0 against Colorado, lost 4-2

2001: 1st round, led 2-0 against LA, lost 4-2

2002: 1st round, trailed 2-0 against Vancouver, won 4-2

2004: 1st round, led 2-0 against Nashville, won 4-2

2008: 1st round, led 2-0 against Nashville, series tied

From above, my three points are this:

(1) A series is not even remotely close to being over if a team has gone up 2-0

(2) We've seen Red Wings defense et al completely melt down in the playoffs before and blow series leads or big leads on the scoreboard

(3) We've seen the Red WIngs rebound from such adversity as well

I would definately be surprised if the Wings lost this series, there really isn't too much to worry about yet. The series is tied 2-2, the way the board is right now, you'd think the Wings are down 0-3 or something.

The old saying goes "you are never really in trouble until you lose at home." They lost 2 games on the road, what's the big deal. Come playoff time, you have to expect road games to be tough. As long as they keep winning at home, they win the series regardless of what happens on the road. This is why home ice advantage is important.

i don't understand why anyone would be surprised. all the preds have to do is win two out of the next three. they're fully capable of doing this. are the wings the more talented team? of coarse, in nearly every facet of the game. but this time of year talent takes a serious back seat to grit and heart and determination, something the wings have been decidedly lacking the last few years.

the wings have a reputation as playoff flops. they have that reputation for a reason. they just never seem to care as much or play as hard as the other team. that's a bad combo. you can tell nashville wants to get through this round more than anything. you don't get that impression from the wings. there are a few players that are laying their hearts on the line, but the team as a whole falls far short of that.

i won't be surprised if the wings win two out of the next three, either. but seriously, how could you be surprised, given what you've seen, and given the wings recent playoff history, to see nashville take two out the next three.

nashville is fully capable. this wings team isn't invincible. until babcock and the rest of the team realizes that, and until they actually play a full 60 minutes like their lives depend on it, i don't give a s*** if we get out of this round or not, we're not getting the cup.

I agree with most of you in that anyone can win a playoff series. As I sat there last night watching the game, I felt it was a game 7 or something and I was going nuts - near tears. Afterwards, I was asked if it was over for the Wings - then I realized that is was only game 4. The series is tied 2-2 and we are heading back to Detroit. Yeah..!

I think Nashvill could upset us but I dont think it is going to happen at home (JLA). We need these two wins - bigtime!

E

we will win this series, remember the Calgary series last year. The wings lost on the road, but prevailed in a game 6. No big deal, remember how good Kiprussoff played? Ellis will have to be that good too.

i don't understand why anyone would be surprised. all the preds have to do is win two out of the next three. they're fully capable of doing this. are the wings the more talented team? of coarse, in nearly every facet of the game. but this time of year talent takes a serious back seat to grit and heart and determination, something the wings have been decidedly lacking the last few years.

the wings have a reputation as playoff flops. they have that reputation for a reason. they just never seem to care as much or play as hard as the other team. that's a bad combo. you can tell nashville wants to get through this round more than anything. you don't get that impression from the wings. there are a few players that are laying their hearts on the line, but the team as a whole falls far short of that.

i won't be surprised if the wings win two out of the next three, either. but seriously, how could you be surprised, given what you've seen, and given the wings recent playoff history, to see nashville take two out the next three.

nashville is fully capable. this wings team isn't invincible. until babcock and the rest of the team realizes that, and until they actually play a full 60 minutes like their lives depend on it, i don't give a s*** if we get out of this round or not, we're not getting the cup.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

we will win this series, remember the Calgary series last year. The wings lost on the road, but prevailed in a game 6. No big deal, remember how good Kiprussoff played? Ellis will have to be that good too.

In my mind it's different. How? Because the team that came out flying in game 1 and 2 last year is infinitely different than the team we've seen so far this spring.

The Wings have looked the exact same through all 4 games so far.

And Ellis is not playing that great. He's been allowing huge rebounds on routine shots. Too bad nobody on this roster wants to fight for those loose pucks.

Like Datsyukismyfriend posted, this team is seriously lacking in the heart, hustle and grit department.

Sure, they can control the puck as well as anyone and at times it makes it look like we're the better team. But when you constantly get outworked for pucks and you're always looking for the pretty pass or play, you are very beatable.

Look at Nashville's 3 goals last night - all from defenseman. How does that happen? By throwing the puck on net and keeping it simple. If anyone's noticed, the Preds have been getting lots of chances by doing so.

The Wings, on the other hand, have to pass it 7383 times before shooting into an open net.

Edited by Hank

I will be stunned.

Anyone who hates homers can put me on ignore right now.

This is my team, and I believe in them until the bitter end. We have a whole roster of guys that have come through at various times in the season. What we need is for all of them to pull it together and all play like they have when they were hot. We have the talent. We need the drive.

It can be done, and I believe it will.

Wait a minute, how exactly is Nashville the weakest first round matchup we've had all decade? They are big and physical, have a good young defensive corps, they can skate and they have some guys who can capitalize on scoring chances. I don't think thiy're getting enough credit on these boards.

That being said, I would be surprised if we lost. The main reason Nashville is where they are is because of a few soft goals. The wings are the better team, and I stil think we'll take this series in 6.

Are we starting with these excuses, already?

This is just like last year. We dominated Calgary even in their building last year but lost games 3,4 and won the series in six. I am confident that this will happen again this year. Nothing is suppose to come easy.

I don't see the same domination that we had last year. I know he's not 100%, but Cleary put Phaneuf on his face and Drapes drove the net to score a goal. It's a friggin' highlight goal. Where are those goals this year?

Not at all... we didn't get sergei back... but next year... will be our year!!!!!

Go Sergei, Go Cup!

Babacock as head coach= No Sergei. But to reply to the topic at hand nothing really suprises me anymore. But when its all said and done Detroit should come out on top. This team was 2 wins from the finals last year, and would have been 1 win away if Lilja didnt hand feed the game to the ducks in game 5. Dont give up on this team yet. If you do, sell your colors on ebay, and start watching the badmitten world championships

Edited by RainingBlood