• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rick zombo

Official: Osgood to start Game 5

Rate this topic

Shocker...PTI on ESPN a. is talking about hockey and b. is talking about the Wings.

The question was asked, what are the chances the wings lose the series? I forgot guys name, but he said now with Ozzie in net, the chances are "zero percent." Geeze, I wish I had that much confidence.

Nick, I didn't mean giving Dom credit for the game, I meant that he was trying to respond to the media. Rather than criticizing what he said, and when he said it, it might be a nice idea to acknowledge that he knows he can do better. He's down, there's really no purpose in beating him to death with the obvious. He will do everything he can to come back. If that doesn't happen, people can just be happy that he was man enough to step aside and let the Wings do their thing with the goalie they feel comfortable with.

By the way, you know as well as I do that Dom is not a "happy go lucky" guy, on the best of days. He's a dour Czech and he tells it like it is. I think people here may not recognize that he isn't admitting defeat, he's just stating the obvious. They aren't used to any goalie who actually admits he might be in any way responsible for being part of a team loss.

Completely unfair. Disgustingly biased, too.

Par for the course.

Shocker...PTI on ESPN a. is talking about hockey and b. is talking about the Wings.

The question was asked, what are the chances the wings lose the series? I forgot guys name, but he said now with Ozzie in net, the chances are "zero percent." Geeze, I wish I had that much confidence.

You sure PTI talked about hockey without saying it sucks and is a joke of a sport? Not possible.

Nick, I didn't mean giving Dom credit for the game, I meant that he was trying to respond to the media. Rather than criticizing what he said, and when he said it, it might be a nice idea to acknowledge that he knows he can do better. He's down, there's really no purpose in beating him to death with the obvious. He will do everything he can to come back. If that doesn't happen, people can just be happy that he was man enough to step aside and let the Wings do their thing with the goalie they feel comfortable with.

By the way, you know as well as I do that Dom is not a "happy go lucky" guy, on the best of days. He's a dour Czech and he tells it like it is. I think people here may not recognize that he isn't admitting defeat, he's just stating the obvious. They aren't used to any goalie who actually admits he might be in any way responsible for being part of a team loss.

Like I said, on a human level, I can totally understand it and appreciate it. But in the professional world, you've gotta man up and just keep moving forward no matter what if you want to instill any confidence in people. Sometimes that means giving a canned answer.

"I can play better. I need to put this behind me, keep working hard and be ready."

That's all that needs to be said. Besides the fact that it's the truth, it's just the best thing to say. Again, he's a professional. This is his job. Part of the job is playing this sort of game with words especially in a team game like hockey.

And again, half the reason I wish he never said it was so it would be easier to build him up more! I don't even feel he's stating the obvious. I've said innumerable times now that we need a change, we all know that, but I don't think he's totally sucked at all. He hasn't had a ton of defensive help and not every goal was a horrible one to give up. But you start saying things like "this is the worst hockey I've played in my career" and you frame the play in an infinitely more negative light than before. Like I said, he's still got a Winged wheel on his jersey and we might need him. Comments like that don't allow much room for enthusiasm let alone confidence. Comments like that amplify the beating because they end up just getting repeated just like that comment which you see in numerous articles going around right now. Again, if you don't want him to be beat to death with the obvious, you should be far more upset about this than I am.

I guess the guy must've missed Dom's last 3 Games, eh?

If the Wings are 50/50 with THAT kind of goaltending display, I'd say they stand at LEAST that much of a chance with Chris between the pipes.

You sure PTI talked about hockey without saying it sucks and is a joke of a sport? Not possible.

Haha, I know I was absolutely shocked.

interestingly, they were talking about the Wings/Preds series and Sidney Crosby somehow got in the conversation...looks like espn even has a love affair with him.

Now, I don't think the chances of the Wings winning the series are 100%, like PTI said, but with any bit of solid goaltending from Ozzie, I think we'll be good.

Haha, I know I was absolutely shocked.

interestingly, they were talking about the Wings/Preds series and Sidney Crosby somehow got in the conversation...looks like espn even has a love affair with him.

Now, I don't think the chances of the Wings winning the series are 100%, like PTI said, but with any bit of solid goaltending from Ozzie, I think we'll be good.

yep. They are Ozzie's Team now. :thumbup:

I will hold you to that. ;)

No one here has ever said Ozzie doesn't "deserve" to start game five for those who are still fixated on that, so no need to complain about that. Babs has done the right thing all along, this is no exception. He knows this team better than any of us ever will.

funny how babs still fails to recognize that sammy sucks at playing the point on the 2nd pp unit... oh well, baby steps i guess.

Like I said, on a human level, I can totally understand it and appreciate it. But in the professional world, you've gotta man up and just keep moving forward no matter what if you want to instill any confidence in people. Sometimes that means giving a canned answer.

"I can play better. I need to put this behind me, keep working hard and be ready."

That's all that needs to be said. Besides the fact that it's the truth, it's just the best thing to say. Again, he's a professional. This is his job. Part of the job is playing this sort of game with words especially in a team game like hockey.

nailed it perfectly. being too candid doesn't work for all situations. just ask manny how that worked out for him. fair or unfair, that's just how it is sometimes.

Good for Ozzie. I'm indifferant here. I hope that if/when Dom is needed, he is simply ready to go. In other words, he doesn't let this situation rattle him.

Maybe the goalie change will help, but we need our boys up front to step up. The 'D' have to be the old Red Wings and shut down, and we need our boys up front to score.

Dats has a few, it has to continue, and we need stronger efforts, and more dominance from Z, Franz, and Cleary. The rest of the supporting cast all have to strongly play their rolls to.

True, one man may be able to steal a game, even change the tone ... but it will take an entire team firing on all cylinders to win the cup.

Here is Hasek's version of a canned answer, when asked if he was upset about not playing tomorrow. From Ansar Khan's blog (mlive) today.

"Coaches feel this is the best thing to do to win the game tomorrow. Of course I'm not happy with this decision. I understand and I go from there,'' Hasek said Thursday, after an optional practice. "I had a good practice today. Tomorrow I'll be ready. If it gets to be my time to get back on the ice (later in the playoffs), I'll be back. But I don't want to look too far ahead.''

- I'll be ready

- I had a good practice today.

- If it gets to be my time, I'll be back.

This doesn't sound irresponsible to me, nor does he sound like he's going to blow a gasket or go for the rope, Manny-style. This is what I want Dom to get credit for, and not be beaten up further for an offhand comment (honest talk) that he played what he felt was his worst hockey of the season. He couldn't manage to make up for the missing offense and defense, and he knows it's his job.

I don't see where anyone thinks Dom was wrong saying this. I will assume that you didn't see this, E, or that all you saw was his comment about playing badly. Perhaps I am overly-kind to Dom, but I think you're being overly-critical, so I guess we're even.

another quote

"This is not about fairness," said Hasek of the decision [to play Osgood]. "It's about the coach's decision and the coaches feel this is the best thing to do.

"Of course I'm unhappy, but I understand. I just want to be ready when it comes to my time, but this is Ozzie's time now."

Edited by puckloo39

Good to hear. Although not all Hasek's fault, he failed to make quite a few saves during timely situations and it killed any momentum the Wings had. Everyone said it was Hasek's to lose and he lost it. That being said though, I hope Osgood can take them ultimately all the way so Hasek can get his name on one more cup and retire on top and as one of the best to ever play, the latter is a given obviously.

The last two champions ('Canes '06 and Ducks '07) finished the playoffs with different goaltenders (Ward and Giguere) than they started with (Gerber and Bryzgalov). Just throwing that out there.

Here is Hasek's version of a canned answer, when asked if he was upset about not playing tomorrow. From Ansar Khan's blog (mlive) today.

"Coaches feel this is the best thing to do to win the game tomorrow. Of course I'm not happy with this decision. I understand and I go from there,'' Hasek said Thursday, after an optional practice. "I had a good practice today. Tomorrow I'll be ready. If it gets to be my time to get back on the ice (later in the playoffs), I'll be back. But I don't want to look too far ahead.''

- I'll be ready

- I had a good practice today.

- If it gets to be my time, I'll be back.

This doesn't sound irresponsible to me, nor does he sound like he's going to blow a gasket or go for the rope, Manny-style. This is what I want Dom to get credit for, and not be beaten up further for an offhand comment (honest talk) that he played what he felt was his worst hockey of the season. He couldn't manage to make up for the missing offense and defense, and he knows it's his job.

I don't see where anyone thinks Dom was wrong saying this. I will assume that you didn't see this, E, or that all you saw was his comment about playing badly. Perhaps I am overly-kind to Dom, but I think you're being overly-critical, so I guess we're even.

another quote

"This is not about fairness," said Hasek of the decision [to play Osgood]. "It's about the coach's decision and the coaches feel this is the best thing to do.

"Of course I'm unhappy, but I understand. I just want to be ready when it comes to my time, but this is Ozzie's time now."

Perfect. I have no beef with this. It's good to hear and no, I did not see this. But this is exactly where he should be. I'd rather him be expressing that he's upset about not playing b/c he's hungry to play so he's motivated. That is, so long as he does so in a constructive and supportive manner which he absolutely did here. He couldn't have handled it better today.

Good. A change in momentum is needed to spark these guys.

I haven't read any responses in this thread, nor do I probably want to since a lot of them are probably snarky anti-Hasek remarks or Osgood vs. Hasek slappies, so I apologize for rehashing anything somebody else has said, I'll leave you all with this...

Again I am all for this as I stated above. And I think Osgood should be the guy to try to finish out this series assuming he doesn't get lit up et al.

Hasek has been pretty bad yes, but so has the defense in letting the rapid-fire goals. It's not just Hasek, it's not just the defense. It is everybody. I refuse to play the scapegoat card.

If the Wings are able to advance to the next round without Osgood having to stand on his head and steal two wins (Osgood just does his part making solid stops when needed and no soft goals), and Hasek is feeling sharp technically and is mentally at peace, then I think you re-evaluate the goaltending options.

So, count me among the assumed few that think that Hasek isn't completely done.

This doesn't mean I want Osgood to fail or that I am trying to play favorites. I like both goalies, I am in full support of the current change, I want Osgood to kick butt, I want Hasek to get his game back. Unless Osgood just steals 2 wins (which he is capable of doing) on his own to where you just can't take him out, I don't think we've seen the last of Hasek by any stretch of the imagination.

:hysterical:

...Sure glad Holland paid Hasek $4MM dollars to come back!!! HA! HA! HA! Not that it's gonna make a difference now with Ozzie in goal, they've lost. After watching EVERY minute of all four games, if not for a couple of good bounces, the Wings would have been swept by now. Played like crap, will continue to play like crap, get eliminated in the first round and then you can all "believe" Holland when he says he will address size and secondary scoring on July 1st...

...BTW, Hasek BETTER not be back next year. Osgood and Howard better split the first half of the season and then Howard should be the #1 for the second half into the playoffs. It's time to stop throwing money away on Hasek and the like. It's time for Howard to step in and whether he suceeds of fails, it's his time to be in Detroit, give him his shot! Holland should (but probably won't) spend his money on size and scoring and give Osgood/Howard the reigns next year...

...Sure glad Holland paid Hasek $4MM dollars to come back!!! HA! HA! HA! Not that it's gonna make a difference now with Ozzie in goal, they've lost. After watching EVERY minute of all four games, if not for a couple of good bounces, the Wings would have been swept by now. Played like crap, will continue to play like crap, get eliminated in the first round and then you can all "believe" Holland when he says he will address size and secondary scoring on July 1st...

...BTW, Hasek BETTER not be back next year. Osgood and Howard better split the first half of the season and then Howard should be the #1 for the second half into the playoffs. It's time to stop throwing money away on Hasek and the like. It's time for Howard to step in and whether he suceeds of fails, it's his time to be in Detroit, give him his shot! Holland should (but probably won't) spend his money on size and scoring and give Osgood/Howard the reigns next year...

You have to be the most negative fan on these boards. Do you even like the Red Wings? I would never guess so by the nature of your posts. The series is not over by any means. As much as you claim the Red Wings COULD have been swept, you could easily make a case this series COULD be 3-1 in the Red Wings favor. You can play the "what if" scenario for anything. The fact is the series is tied 2-2, and possibly two of the remaining games are at JLA. Have the Red Wings played great hockey to this point? No, they certainly have not. Some of the credit goes to Nashville in that regard. However, this team has too much pride to quit like some of their "fans" after a couple of losses.

I'm guessing when the Red Wings win this series, you will give no credit to Ken Holland. The only time you feel the need to mention him is when something goes bad. Just imagine if Sergei Fedorov was here, the Red Wings would be on to the second round already right? :rolleyes:

You have to be the most negative fan on these boards. Do you even like the Red Wings? I would never guess so by the nature of your posts. The series is not over by any means. As much as you claim the Red Wings COULD have been swept, you could easily make a case this series COULD be 3-1 in the Red Wings favor. You can play the "what if" scenario for anything. The fact is the series is tied 2-2, and possibly two of the remaining games are at JLA. Have the Red Wings played great hockey to this point? No, they certainly have not. Some of the credit goes to Nashville in that regard. However, this team has too much pride to quit like some of their "fans" after a couple of losses.

I'm guessing when the Red Wings win this series, you will give no credit to Ken Holland. The only time you feel the need to mention him is when something goes bad. Just imagine if Sergei Fedorov was here, the Red Wings would be on to the second round already right? :rolleyes:

...bet you still believe a 757 hit the pentagon. I like the Wings, hate Ken Holland. I will NEVER give him credit, for he is an idiot. I will root for the Wings to win it all, but they cannot do it if Ken Holland doesn't give them what they need and it looks like $4MM to Hasek is the perfect example of wasting money on useless commodities, hopefully Ozzie can turn that around, but they have to find a way to keep up with Nashville's speed and intensity. I am afraid they can't though...

...bet you still believe a 757 hit the pentagon. I like the Wings, hate Ken Holland. I will NEVER give him credit, for he is an idiot. I will root for the Wings to win it all, but they cannot do it if Ken Holland doesn't give them what they need and it looks like $4MM to Hasek is the perfect example of wasting money on useless commodities, hopefully Ozzie can turn that around, but they have to find a way to keep up with Nashville's speed and intensity. I am afraid they can't though...

That's fine if you don't like Ken Holland. I just don't understand though how you say that it is OK to blame everything on Holland when things go wrong, but you won't give him any credit when the Red Wings do succeed? How can it be both ways? Either he is responsible for both good and bad, or he isn't.

Hindsight is 20/20 now with Hasek. It sure looks like a bad decision at the moment, but no one was complaining when Dom was superb in the first period of game two. It's puzzling how people can turn so fast on the team/players they root for.