• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yzerfan1999

Avery vs. Brodeur Battle Continues

Rate this topic

That would be somewhat odd on Brodeurs part, because I dont know who caught it, but when the first 'screening' incident actually happened, in the post game interview, Brodeur wasn't opposed to Avery's actions. Marty actually said he was just trying to screen me, As long as he doesnt touch me.

So this thing has been blown far outta proportion.

Neither of them stuck their hand out - it looked pretty mutual but Avery said it was Brodeur who refused.

Personally, I don't blame Marty - Avery has been ragging him for years about his divorce, which is dick move - not to mention his idiotic 'screening' incident. Brodeur was worked up. Avery would have come out of this looking a lot better if he didn't call one of the best goalies all-time 'Fatso'. Talk about a childish thing to do...but damn, can that guy intimidate or what.

I pretty much agree with you, Yzerfan. I don't blame Marty. The only thing relevant to the discussion is what Marty and Avery do that is hockey-related, and Avery has repeatedly proven himself to be childish and classless (the BASEketball-esque taunting issue aside, who calls anyone a 'Fatso' anyway? Honestly? That's so grade school.)

It's not in the same league, but many of the Red Wings in 1996 couldn't believe they shook Lemieux's hand after the series. I imagine Marty feels the same way.

Guest CaliWingsNut
So what... Avery isnt a Byng candidate.... Avery was clever, played the game, and won. At least have the respect to shake his hand for being like that. After all...its a game

If your getting paid to do itlike they are... it's not a game, and I wouldn't expect them to treat it as one.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Marty Brodeur can choose to shake or not shake whoever's hands he wants. Brodeur is a living legend and one of the alltime greats, meanwhile Avery is a scum-of-the-earth ass clown who somehow, not of his own efforts, gets played off as the lovable villain. Get serious. Granted, Avery is a marginally talented player with the ability to have an impact, but that's not what he's gonna be remembered for. He's gonna be remembered as that hockey player who represents everything that is wrong with humanity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the hugest Brodeur proponent, but I think that he has every right to give Avery the metaphoric "*$%& You!". I don't think every player has earned the right to write his own ticket like that, but if only a few players have, Brodeur is sure as hell one of them.

F*ck Avery!

Go Wings!

but if in fact it is true that Aves took shots at Marty's personal life, then that is extremely low.

Not to spoil any surprises here but I guarantee Maltby, Downey, McCarty, Cleary, and many more Red Wings use personal issues to agitate.

Particularly Cleary because he's a bit of an *******. :P

I don't know how many of us have seen this yet, but Brodeur and Avery refused to shake each others hands after the Rangers eliminated the Devils tonight. In an interview shortly after, Avery said "Fatso just forgot to shake my hand".

Video coming soon hopefully.

What do you think?

Just saw this on NHL Network this morning actually, haven't read responses on this thread.

I haven't really paid much attention to this series in terms of press coverage or Avery starting controverisal crap to media outlets. I saw the unorthodox way he screened Brodeur a few games ago (please let us not get into the legality of it or whether it will embarass the NHL, I don't care).

There's no denying he was a huge factor, in a good way, for the Rangers this series.

I'll be glad to listen to responses and maybe somebody can change my mode of thinking, but I think that's bad of Brodeur not to shake is hand. I know Avery's a loose cannon sometimes, but I don't think he was really a "troublemaker" off the ice lately, he didn't do anything chickens**t like Lemieux did to Draper where Ciccarelli said he didn't want to shake his hand, etc.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Fatso?

Avery is a clown. I used to like his agitation, but now it's just childish. Avery's a joke, and he's way past his potential. Brodeur is one of the best goalies ever and a classy guy. I have to side with him.

avery is ruining it for me, i usually root for the rangers in the east cause i like Jagr and Shanahan of course but its getting hard to cheer for them.

My feelings about this as well..

Avery is a nobody.

Not to spoil any surprises here but I guarantee Maltby, Downey, McCarty, Cleary, and many more Red Wings use personal issues to agitate.

Particularly Cleary because he's a bit of an *******. :P

Yeah, but they'll keep it on the ice and not in the media. Avery is missing that off switch.

SWF- They've been going at it all year at least.

I would never shake Avery's hand if I was Brodeur. Why does he deserve a handshake? He cheats and plays dirty and talks s*** all the time. I do recognize Avery contributed on the score sheet in this series, but in my opinion his childish, moronic antics far outweigh his 2 or 3 goals. Good for Marty

Everyone's beloved "Marty" is a colossal ego who slept with his wife's sister... one of the lowest things you can do, he's one of the most overrated players in history and deserves to be called "Fatso" because he is one. A few biases around for those who could fault Sean Avery for Brodeur not shaking his hand because he played worse than Hasek in that series and decided to throw a fit about it. "I don't think about Scott Gomez anymore, he is not on the Devils."

Personal lives of players shouldn't matter all that much when they don't exactly involve you directly... Look how loved Shanny is by wings fans... he went above and beyond the sleeping with his wives sister.

Anywho... I like brody and Avery(now!) Brody was the one who didn't look even like he attempted to shake Averys hand... Avery at least looked at Brody and got no reaction from him and he moved on. Now whos the "bigger" person

Let's draw a parallel here. Chelios didn't shake hands with the Ducks last year. However, I couldn't blame him for that because the Ducks went around trying to deliberately injure players and honestly, if he went in the handshake line, he would have had to skip at least half of the team for that.

Avery, meanwhile, was just annoying. Didn't try to injure Brodeur (hell, Marty's the one that punched HIM in the face), didn't try to injure Brodeur's teammates, but instead was just merely being an annoying pest on the ice.

It's in a completely different league than the Lemieux handshakes (which, like Ciccarelli, I can't believe they shook his friggin' hand) and the Chelios snub. Brodeur should have let bygones be bygones, shook his hand and said, "You're an ass...but good luck in the next round." Even Patrick Roy would probably have shook Avery's hand and we all know what a class act (:rolleyes:) Patrick is.

Can't remember his name but that dude that keeps going back and forth with Pierre MacGuire was defending Brodeur when he didn't shake hands with Avery and said Avery is just like you Pierre, an "amusing jerk!" I fell out of my chair laughing! Pierre was just dumbfounded!

Cheers!

esteef

Ahh I love Marty and I've always been a fan of Aves. I won't fault either, but if in fact it is true that Aves took shots at Marty's personal life, then that is extremely low.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt that he did. Remember when Darcy Tucker and Avery got into it during pre-game, that was because he said something to Blake about his cancer. Classless and pathetic.

Fatso?

Avery is a clown. I used to like his agitation, but now it's just childish. Avery's a joke, and he's way past his potential. Brodeur is one of the best goalies ever and a classy guy. I have to side with him.

Here's what Avery does in his personal life:

When he was playing with the Kings and dating Rachel Hunter he would attend her son's youth hockey games. Any play that went against him, and there were a lot, he would yell at the refs. You can imagine what he said. This was a game between 12 year olds and the refs were sometimes 20 year olds. He got kicked out of at least one that I was at.

Lots of other ex-NHL players and current NHL players have kids in hockey out here but never has anyone out here seen one of them act like that idiot.

Edited by hockeymom95

I still wish Avery played for the Wings. That was a bad trade.

Anyway in my opinion Brodeur is acting like a jerk. I mean it's not like Avery slammed Brodeur's face into the glass and a penalty wasn't called. Brodeur didn't have reconstructive surgery from his run-ins with Avery. Brodeur needs to get over it. It should be water under the bridge now. I guess Brodeur can't take a little trash talk and chippiness.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt that he did. Remember when Darcy Tucker and Avery got into it during pre-game, that was because he said something to Blake about his cancer. Classless and pathetic.

That's not even true. Tucker and Blake both came out and said Avery didn't bring up cancer at all.

As was said elsewhere, in a Vancouver/Detroit game, Downey was incited by Burrows asking him "how's the potato farm?" - it obviously doesn't take a whole lot to get these people riled up.

These are the only things that are off limits when it comes to agitation:

a) children

b) death/serious illness

Players should shake hands. It's an important tradition, and I'm big on traditions. You battle like warriors for 4 to 7 games, trying to practically kill each other. Then, when it's over, you're man enough to shake the other guy's hand, win or lose. I love Chelios and everything about the way he battles on the ice, but when he didn't shake hands last year, I thought it was bush league. Take your lumps like a man, don't make weak ass excuses why you backed out. So if I can't approve of a player who I like skipping the handshake line, I can't make excuses for Marty not extending his hand to Avery. He should have done it.