• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

the DON'T FINE AL petition thread

Rate this topic

I decided to email Gary Bettman on the NHL Live radio show, hoping enough of us can do the same to get him to respond to how he made this decision in the first place. I'll go first with what I wrote, let's see yours too!

Gary,

The fines you have implanted on Al Sobotka for the octopus twirlings are ludicrous and insane. Instead of listening to Brian Burke about

Everything, why don’t you make a decision on your own? I know you are doing everything humanly possible to ruin the NHL but taking fan traditions like this

Away is insane. Keep in mind there are a lot more of us Wings fans then you and your crew of lunatics and although we may not be as overpaid as you, some of us

Have deep enough pockets to pitch in and help out Al with keeping the tradition going in Hockeytown USA. Please reconsider your decision before you watch it backfire in your face over the next couple of weeks.

Becareful if this gets back to Mr. Moneybags... prices might go up from here on out...

As stated by others a more professional or at least formal email would have worked.

Remember you are trying to make an impact not just look like a internet message board poster and this in not an email to a friend.

If I were to do it I would tell him something along the lines that I think he is barking up the wrong tree and needs to focus more on hits to the head, a fair and equal treatment of players regardless of stature in the league, and an overall lack of respect that players show towards each other instead of a 40+ year old tradition that happens once a game (if the wings are lucky), where as the things I have mentioned happen multiple times a game!!

But that is just me!

As stated by others a more professional or at least formal email would have worked.

Remember you are trying to make an impact not just look like a internet message board poster and this in not an email to a friend.

If I were to do it I would tell him something along the lines that I think he is barking up the wrong tree and needs to focus more on hits to the head, a fair and equal treatment of players regardless of stature in the league, and an overall lack of respect that players show towards each other instead of a 40+ year old tradition that happens once a game (if the wings are lucky), where as the things I have mentioned happen multiple times a game!!

But that is just me!

Seconded. :thumbup:

Just wondering, but is there any way to edit the grammar mistakes?

It doesn't really matter, but it just might make it sound a little more credible, ya know?

I totally agree. The petition is great and I am going to sign it, but we should have all the grammar sorted out before it is sent.

Congratulations guys, this petition is now on the front page, "Top Ten - Most Active petitions list."

This post on the bottom made me laugh:

2-3.gif no, they can throw the tampons on the ice (just like we can throw the 'pus tonight) they just can't wave them over their head anymore 8.gif

Edited by OsGOD

Hey Guys, first post. Been reading the boards for a couple years now and finally decided to join after this terrible decision by ole' Gary. I just signed the petition. Here's hoping that Al still swings the first octopi to hit the ice during the national anthem. I've got at least a 5 spot for the cause. :thumbup:

I signed, and I also sent an e-mail to Bettman for the radio show. I really hope it helps. It goes like this...

Mr. Bettman,

It has come to my attention that there has been a newly placed rule concerning Mr. Al Sobotka and the swinging of the octopus. Honestly sir, do you feel that this rule is justified? One of the stated reasons for the new rule comes from a Mr. Frank Brown. He is quoted as saying in an e-mail to the Detroit Free Press, "Because matter flies off the octopus and gets on the ice when he does it." My question to you sir, is why is this just now becoming an issue? As far as I know, there have been no incidents that have come as a result from Mr. Sobotka’s swinging of the octopus other than getting some of the best fans in the world on their feet and cheering for their team. As you are probably aware, the octopus tradition goes back over fifty years and Mr. Sobotka has been with the Red Wings for over thirty years. That being said, this tradition is very dear to the fans of Detroit and has been for a very long time. Based on the reason mentioned above, it seems that your decision to fine Mr. Sobotka $10,000 for every instance seems a bit asinine. Do you honestly feel that this rule serves any real purpose other than to upset the fans of Detroit and to give the league negative publicity? I am not sure if you are aware, or even care for that matter, that the public opinion of you is not very high. This situation is not helping by any means.

Please understand that I mean no disrespect. I was just very upset when I heard about this new rule and how it could potentially affect the overall tradition from Mr. Sobotka and the great fans of the Detroit Red Wings.

Sincerely,

Brannan

I signed, and I also sent an e-mail to Bettman for the radio show. I really hope it helps. It goes like this...

Mr. Bettman,

It has come to my attention that there has been a newly placed rule concerning Mr. Al Sobotka and the swinging of the octopus. Honestly sir, do you feel that this rule is justified? One of the stated reasons for the new rule comes from a Mr. Frank Brown. He is quoted as saying in an e-mail to the Detroit Free Press, "Because matter flies off the octopus and gets on the ice when he does it." My question to you sir, is why is this just now becoming an issue? As far as I know, there have been no incidents that have come as a result from Mr. Sobotka’s swinging of the octopus other than getting some of the best fans in the world on their feet and cheering for their team. As you are probably aware, the octopus tradition goes back over fifty years and Mr. Sobotka has been with the Red Wings for over thirty years. That being said, this tradition is very dear to the fans of Detroit and has been for a very long time. Based on the reason mentioned above, it seems that your decision to fine Mr. Sobotka $10,000 for every instance seems a bit asinine. Do you honestly feel that this rule serves any real purpose other than to upset the fans of Detroit and to give the league negative publicity? I am not sure if you are aware, or even care for that matter, that the public opinion of you is not very high. This situation is not helping by any means.

Please understand that I mean no disrespect. I was just very upset when I heard about this new rule and how it could potentially affect the overall tradition from Mr. Sobotka and the great fans of the Detroit Red Wings.

Sincerely,

Brannan

Wow that is really good :beerbuddy: :clap::clap::clap:

Edited by skatergod247

Here is an article reporting on the issue:

Pro-Octopi forces begin mass media assault on NHL

Saw that earlier this afternoon, made me proud the video actually links to a seperate petition also making noise, I recommend everyone sign it as well.

To lazy to find it on youtube? No problem, here's the direct link.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/free-a...e-playoffs.html

Someone called into the NHL Live show on NHLN today and mentioned it. Hradek and LaGreca kinda blew it off, however. Ticked me off big time the way they just passed over it, basically. Of course, they have an East Coast bias, so if it was something to do with one of their teams they'd care more. Because it's us they just sluff it off.