• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

91to-the-rafters

Ryan Miller to Detroit?

Rate this topic

I posted a rumor regarding the possibility of Sabre's netminder Ryan Miller wanting to come to Detroit after the '08-'09 season as an u.f.a. The idea was that he would be the primary in a Miller-Howard tandem with Ozzie as the odd man out and designated to be trade bait. Two months and some amazing goaltending by Osgood later, would it make more sense for Detroit and Buffalo to make a deal this summer involving Howard and Miller? Buffalo gets a young, proven, less expensive goaltender for a rebuild project. Detroit gets a Miller-Osgood tandem for years to come. The Wings window of opportunity might dictate that their best opportunity to win cups with an experienced defense corp is the next two years. Miller going against counterparts in Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, and now possibly Nashville might be a better answer.

Thoughts?

The situation we have now seems to be working fine, with the likely outcome of Osgood-Howard next season. If Miller comes into the mix, you can bet he will be wanting big $$$$, and thats something we won't have much room for once we look up Zetterberg long-term.

I posted a rumor regarding the possibility of Sabre's netminder Ryan Miller wanting to come to Detroit after the '08-'09 season as an u.f.a. The idea was that he would be the primary in a Miller-Howard tandem with Ozzie as the odd man out and designated to be trade bait. Two months and some amazing goaltending by Osgood later, would it make more sense for Detroit and Buffalo to make a deal this summer involving Howard and Miller? Buffalo gets a young, proven, less expensive goaltender for a rebuild project. Detroit gets a Miller-Osgood tandem for years to come. The Wings window of opportunity might dictate that their best opportunity to win cups with an experienced defense corp is the next two years. Miller going against counterparts in Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, and now possibly Nashville might be a better answer.

Thoughts?

Miller has stated he would love to play in Detroit. I think he would come here only if he doesn't get a great offer from Buffalo. My feeling is the Buffalo will lock him up if they can. They want him. I would like to see him in Detroit but, I am not counting on it. We need to think of something for next year though. Osgood/Howard doesn't give me much confidence. Howard struggled big time in the AHL this year at the end. I know he is still young, but he has had 3 years to improve, and I haven't seen a whole lot. I wouldnt mind seeing the wings pick up another Osgood type goalie. Someone who is a proven "good goalie" that we can get for cheap. Then we have 2 good cheap goalies.

Miller has stated he would love to play in Detroit. I think he would come here only if he doesn't get a great offer from Buffalo. My feeling is the Buffalo will lock him up if they can. They want him. I would like to see him in Detroit but, I am not counting on it. We need to think of something for next year though. Osgood/Howard doesn't give me much confidence. Howard struggled big time in the AHL this year at the end. I know he is still young, but he has had 3 years to improve, and I haven't seen a whole lot. I wouldnt mind seeing the wings pick up another Osgood type goalie. Someone who is a proven "good goalie" that we can get for cheap. Then we have 2 good cheap goalies.

Like his commercials, but we don't need him. Give Howard his shot for a season, he will be fine.

It will be interesting re-visiting this topic on a series to series basis. Fair or not...I think Osgood is playing for his job as the Wings goaltender. He has a history of sub-par or average performances that didn't get it done. The one time he was the Cup winning goaltender, it was "in spite of Osgood, not because of him". Personally, I would love to see him take this team on his back and carry them to the promised land. No one could say the Cup was gained despite him.

That being said, Ozzie is one poor series away from being trade bait.

miller isnt UFA for another year anyways. u give howard and ozzie a chance to run with it next year if it doesnt work out u swoop up miller

Very true. Though I'd hate to see Miller play "lights out" next year, tell Buffalo to shove off, and have nearly all our Western Confrence rivals without a top six goaltender throwing gobs of cash at him when we could have him at a relatively cheaper cost this summer with a hometown discount.

....then again, he could really suck next year. Kenny will make the right move, he usually does.

salary cap-----> no ryan miller. not a chance. unless we dumped some talent to get him. which IMO is giving more than were getting. lets wait til ozzy gives up more than 1 goal in 154 min to fetch a new netminder. (i realize he wont be on this tear forever but hey ride it til the wheels fall off as they say...)

I don't think Holland would've signed Osgood for 3 years at this point in time if he didn't plan on keeping him around 3 years. Time will tell what his role will look like in that span of time, but I highly doubt they'd box him out no matter how things go.

Miller has stated he would love to play in Detroit.

Where do you folks come up with this stuff? Honestly.....

From his own mouth:

"You know, my home state would be a nice opportunity but honestly, Buffalo's been great to me," Miller said. "I have a lot of fun here. We have a young core of guys. As far as I know, you guys got Hasek and (Chris) Osgood. I'm settled here and happy here. I'd like to stay. I'd like the opportunity to keep building here. Who knows how hockey careers go?"

Where do you folks come up with this stuff? Honestly.....

From his own mouth:

"You know, my home state would be a nice opportunity but honestly, Buffalo's been great to me," Miller said. "I have a lot of fun here. We have a young core of guys. As far as I know, you guys got Hasek and (Chris) Osgood. I'm settled here and happy here. I'd like to stay. I'd like the opportunity to keep building here. Who knows how hockey careers go?"

Hahaha

Nice. One little bogus rumor and people on the internet start chattering like school girls.

Malik says it best, "Maria Sharapova never returns my calls, either, but I'll keep trying..."

Too much money. And for what? Miller has been good, and then has been bad. He's not the all start goaltender that can carry a team to the Stanley Cup. Just look at the scores of Sabres games. Some days he lets in 1 goal, others its 5. He can have a shutout 1 night, and get pulled the next night.

Hes good, dont get me wrong, and another Spartan on the Wings is good publicity, but one concern is consistency, when the pressure is on him, can he make the play to steal the game?

Since we didnt sign anyone at the trade deadline, we have cap-space for Z, plus its time we bring Howard up next year, for the few games he has played I have to say he has showed good potential, and with some NHL experience plus one of the leagues best defense, he could become the next goaltender for the Wings.

I will bring this up in yet another Miller thread (and probably get no response again):

Those of you that want Jiggy Jr. Miller cannot be the same posters complaining about J.S. Giguere's pads, are you?

Because then you are a hypocrite, Miller's pads are not much smaller than Giguere's, the only large difference I would say is the height of his shoulder pads.

Other than that I have no problem with they guy!

I will bring this up in yet another Miller thread (and probably get no response again):

Those of you that want Jiggy Jr. Miller cannot be the same posters complaining about J.S. Giguere's pads, are you?

Because then you are a hypocrite, Miller's pads are not much smaller than Giguere's, the only large difference I would say is the height of his shoulder pads.

Other than that I have no problem with they guy!

They are going to have to do something, goaltending will be a big topic in the off season. If its Osgood Howard, thats fine, but if Howard flops.....then its pay out the arse for a UFA. I think it's better if a goalie that your team drafted ends up being the starter and plays well, makes it one more thing you can chirp about to rival fans (YEAH WE DRAFTED HIM) HAHA

You don't think they are going to have to pay out the Arse for Miller?

Miller is not going to be traded for until the deadline if at all, he can not be signed until after next season. HE WILL COST A TON!!!!

He will probably be the most sought after UFA, what makes you think he will come to Detroit and not be expensive?

And no the Wings Don't HAVE to do something, they have an all star starter currently, and they have a young guy who looks to have the skill set to be a very solid netminder.

Detroit is not a team that usually throws money at the goaltending issue.

You don't think they are going to have to pay out the Arse for Miller?

Miller is not going to be traded for until the deadline if at all, he can not be signed until after next season. HE WILL COST A TON!!!!

He will probably be the most sought after UFA, what makes you think he will come to Detroit and not be expensive?

And no the Wings Don't HAVE to do something, they have an all star starter currently, and they have a young guy who looks to have the skill set to be a very solid netminder.

Detroit is not a team that usually throws money at the goaltending issue.

Osgood even though hes playing good right now, but he's 35. Howard is unproven, and they paid Hasek well the first time around, and Curtis Joseph. But I think Miller would get 5 mill per AT LEAST. Don't forget that they did get into the bidding war for Khabibulin but the Hawks went to 7.5 mill per. EJ Hradek is reporting that the Wings will contact the agent for Dan Ellis, who is a UFA after the Stanley Cup.

Edited by 2probert4