• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gowingsgo

I want the Avs

Rate this topic

Scott Burnside prediction on ESPN.com:

This one should be a minor classic, and we think Theodore is for real, so look for a long one. But, in the end, the Wings' depth makes the difference and Osgood stands tall as the Wings move on. Red Wings in seven.

I'll take it.

we seem to match up well against them and the 11-2 differential in goals, with 2 of their

goals coming in 1st game (then 3 shutouts) bode well for the series. sure, playoffs is

different animal and everything can happen but this looks like the best Wings could get

in Round 2.

I'm far from calling it an easy road because this series may easily last 6 games and prove

to be a tough one, especially with Theodore looking able to steal a game. but in the end

Wings are better and those dumb loses in Nashville taught them to move their asses

and put the effort there.

I'd say Wings in 6 is realistic. but it obviously is not going to be an easy series. whoever

thinks this way is simply blindsided and needs to get his/hers red glasses off. Dives

are a solid team. what they may lack on skill they compensate with teamwork.

Burnside's the only idiot on ESPN that i can stand..

Burnside is actually a fine guy. his hockey sense is (almost) TSN guys level and when he

writes it is his honest opinions - like it or not. he might at times be wrong, but who isn't?

I like Johnson more but Burnside comes second along with Bucci here. they're all head

and shoulders above Mullet or Frei.

truth being said ESPN coverage of hockey is now a shadow of what they did 5-6 years

ago.

but if you want real idiots and homers - sportsnet.ca and read how Sens are supposed

to beat Pens and Flames are head and shoulders over Sharks... etc... :)

I mean... honestly.... this is the guy who comes up first with his analysis and does it

properly by matchups. he says Wings in seven because he saw Theodore and I'm definitely

in agreement that hot goalie may be a huge problem for Wings. Burnside goes the

pessimistic scenario (for Wings) that Theodore holds. which is likely. there's also

the optimistic version that he collapses and we finish them in five.

Osgood question mark is also valid. I can see Oz holding the job and backstopping us

all playoffs long but it may as well happen Babcock turns to Dom. you can't say for sure

Edited by akustyk

For some reason I'm less nervous about versing the Avs than I was versing the Preds. Hopefully theres merit behind that, but who knows...

Forsberg and Sakic are scary to go up against, because of all the playoff experience, chemistry and pure skill they have between the two of them, plus their younger players (Wolski and Stastny). If we can get to their goalie early in the series and destroy what confidence he has built up, the series shouldn't be too difficult, but if he keeps riding his streak we might have more scoring problems.

I agree with you on this.

Wings can tear down Theodore, im pretty sure. :siren::thumbup:

Man, I've never seen Ozzie calm before. Hes playing the best he can I think, and he seems really confident. Hes gonna shut the door so ******* hard on the Avs.. I really believe in him for some reason, He was pretty stellar in the regular season but was slammed a bit after the all-star game. But hey maybe that was a bit of a wake up call.

Wings in 5.

2nd time reading it. Just a great read for any hockey fan. I think the rivalry may come back this year.

I would like to read it,

Can i get more info on it?

exact name,writer's name,year...

thnx!

Oh i'm so exited to start this one!!

Go Wings!!!

Am I the only one who doesn't want the rivalry to come back? That would entail a close, hard-fought series. I'd rather just wrap this up in 3 games and let them wallow in their blatant inferiority a little while longer.

youre not the only one...

the word "rivalry" implies that they are even close to as good as we are, and that is just not true.

lets send them and their backwards goalie to the links as soon as possible.

Ironically, I'm not as worried about the Avs as I would have been about the Flames.

With the Avs, I don't think we have to worry about the Wings looking past them or not respecting them enough to play hard every game.

Edited by Firehawk

it's gonna be a fast paced series, yet another team peaking at the right time. The Wings should be worried...

Then hopefully Holland gets fired... (sorry had to sneak that in there.)

Didn't you hand in your fan-card and slink away?

You cannot take any team for granted whether they are seeded 1st, 8th, or 100th. The difference between the 1st and 8th seed in hockey playoffs today is usually not much. So I don't care who you are or what team it is, no series is going to be a walk in the park.

We may be relieved that we might be facing Colorado over Calgary b/c Kipper might be a better goalie or we've had Colorado's number so far this regular season, but all of that means very little in the postseason. We were thrilled to face Edmonton in 2006 playoffs b/c they supposedly provided a managable matchup. Look what happened there.

I'm worried about every team, every team is capable of making a deep run.

Guest nutz2u
Calgary was the last team I wanted to see. A western canada team with an obnoxiously loud crowd and hot goalie is never a good matchup for us. I just wanted Colorado b/c of the rivalry. And of course I'm worried, they just beat a good Minnesota team. It'll be a good series, I expect it to go 6 or 7

You forgot to mention a western canada team captain that stomps and screams like a spoiled 4yr old brat whenever things don't go his way.

Of course I am worried. I did not choose Colorado over Calgary (though I see a lot of people did..) but I hope our stellar record against them this preseason (:P) has some worth and we're able to dominate them just the same in the coming days.

Let's go Red Wings!

It is going to be a tough series, I think, and I'm a little surprised so many people think we will handle the Avs so easily. The Wings are going to have to play hard and not give Colorado many quality scoring chances, or else guys like Sakic and Forsberg, both of whom definitely still have "it", will make them pay. I am predicting that the Wings will win in 6 games, but this is going to be a test. I hope the Wings don't take Colorado too lightly (I don't think they will, but sometimes things can creep in subconciously) because if they do, it won't be pretty for us Wings fans. That being said, I think the Wings will ultimately prevail.

I get worried for every series. Because it's the playoffs and anything can happen. We've learned that in the last 3 years, haven't we? That no team should be underestimated? That's not to say that I don't have confidence in the boys, but I just firmly believe you should never take a team lightly.

The Wings match up better against Colorado than they did with Nashville. That said, Colorado does have experienced veterans like Sakic, Forsberg, and Foote.

It won't be enough though; Detroit is playing very well defensively and has gotten outstanding goaltending from Osgood. Plus the Wings know better than to look past a team like Colorado.

Wings in five.

Osgood has never won a playoff series against Colorado. For what it's worth......................

And Hasek has never beaten Nashville. Theodore has never beaten the Wings, either.

Turco has never beaten the Sharks, and Nabokov has never beaten the Stars.

Price has never beaten the Flyers, and Biron has never beaten the Canadiens.

Fleury has never beaten the Rangers, and Lundqvist has never beaten the Penguins.

So, I guess nobody will be advancing past the second round. As none of the goalies involved have ever beaten their opponent, nobody will be doing so this time around. Might as well cancel the playoffs.

Or, we could look at it this way. Osgood has played in series vs Colorado in 1996, 1999, and 2000. In 1996 Osgood was splitting net duties with Mke Vernon, and in 1999 he missed the first four games of a six-game series injured.

Osgood has never won a playoff series against Colorado. For what it's worth......................

But Dom has. Who knows, maybe this team is lucky to have the luxury of switching goalies mid-way through a series. There are clearly some goalies who play better against certain teams.

Guest DetroitBoy313

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry I couldn't think of anything else to say) :lol:

And Hasek has never beaten Nashville. Theodore has never beaten the Wings, either.

Turco has never beaten the Sharks, and Nabokov has never beaten the Stars.

Price has never beaten the Flyers, and Biron has never beaten the Canadiens.

Fleury has never beaten the Rangers, and Lundqvist has never beaten the Penguins.

So, I guess nobody will be advancing past the second round. As none of the goalies involved have ever beaten their opponent, nobody will be doing so this time around. Might as well cancel the playoffs.

Or, we could look at it this way. Osgood has played in series vs Colorado in 1996, 1999, and 2000. In 1996 Osgood was splitting net duties with Mke Vernon, and in 1999 he missed the first four games of a six-game series injured.

All those goalies you mentioned have never lost to those respective teams either.

Osgood is 0-3 against the Avs. At the very least, a strong 0-2.

I'm not saying that he won't play well. It's just a stat.

There's no need to stretch it.