• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Brett Hull

Don Cherry on Wings/Preds

Rate this topic

I saw this on Coach's Corner last night and just came accross this acticle...

I thought the series was somewhat physical myself...

"Don Cherry, analyzing the physicality of the Wings-Predators series on Monday's "Hockey Night in Canada": "I'm not knocking that Detroit-Nashville thing, but it was amazing how 10 guys on the ice could avoid each other the way they did.""

Thoughts??

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...4/1053/SPORTS05

I saw that too. He obviously didn't watch much of the series.

He also said that he roots for the Canadian team that is playing and if two Canadian teams are playing he roots for the team with more Canadians on it.

He's not biased or anything.

Edited by Copenhagen848

Cherry is great!!!!!

There were alot of opportunities to hit and they weren't all taken, that is what Cherry is saying.

No he is not senile.

I think he is hillarious at times, but you have to admit that the quality of commentary his decreased SUBSTANTIALLY over the recent years.

I saw that too. He obviously didn't watch much of the series.

Ya, you wouldn't think that he would. There are some things about the Don that I like and respect, other things...not so much, but if one thing is clear it is that he doesn't like teams with a lot of Europeans that play more of a European style of game, ie. the Wings. Thus, with all of the hockey out there to be watched the past few weeks, I assume that he'd just avoid the Wings-Preds series entirely as it would not be the style of play that he prefers. As the Wings get deeper and deeper into the playoffs he'll become more and more exposed to them, although I don't expect it will change his opinion much. He'll focus mostly on players like Ozzy, Mac, Drake, Draper, maybe Stuart or even Helm if he can continue to have an impact. Meanwhile, he won't mention too much about Dats, Z, Lids, etc., even when he probably should. It's very predictable and I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Don Cherry, Pierre McGuire, and the rest of 'em aren't in charge of determining who hoists the Cup.

Cherry is great!!!!!

There were alot of opportunities to hit and they weren't all taken, that is what Cherry is saying.

No he is not senile.

From Montreal eh?

I saw this on Coach's Corner last night and just came accross this acticle...

I thought the series was somewhat physical myself...

"Don Cherry, analyzing the physicality of the Wings-Predators series on Monday's "Hockey Night in Canada": "I'm not knocking that Detroit-Nashville thing, but it was amazing how 10 guys on the ice could avoid each other the way they did.""

Thoughts?

He must have missed the Kronwall, Drake, Homer, Tootoo and other hits. He probably just watched the hi lights of the game. Or he was :zzz: He is a older guy you know.

Say what you will about Cherry, but he's an institution in a sport with tons of tradition. His comments are inflammatory and blown out of proportion, but I'll gladly take Cherry over these jokers on NBC anytime.

Me too.

For the most part Cherry was on... I mean yeah there were a few great hits (a few questionable ones) but i was rather shocked at the lack of physical play by either team. Extremely shocked not one single fighting major was awarded... although then i think back that our fighter was a healthy scratch all series so it makes sense.

He was right to some degree about the physical play... Rattleoff delivered the biggest hurting hit in the series to his own teammate no less... that was a sweet KO!

Edited by OsGOD

Guest micah
Which I believe is called racism, yet some try to disagree.

Nationalist perhaps, but racist? Come on.

I still don't know how anyone can even pay attention to what he's saying when he's on the air. I'm so d*mn focused on those suits that anything that comes out of his mouth just breezes right by me.

Some of the stuff he says is spot in, but that number seems to be decreasing with each waking day. Personally, I think he's gotten worse and worse over the past few years and now I don't think he brings much of anything in regards to constructive thought to the table. Rather, now he just comes off as a "nationalist".

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I thought the Wings stepped up their physical game--such as it is--Homer, Drake, Mac, Draper and Kronwall were all winning battles and checking hard. Good enough to get the job done and wear down young Preds defensemen and give Pavel, Hank and Hudler room to operate.

Hey, it was better watching than the turnoverfests that were COL/MIN and SJ/CGY.

He's one of the reasons hockey isn't taken seriously by US media. When the faces of NHL announcing/analysis are either in ridiculous flannel suits and yelling anti-Euro rhetoric until they are red in the face or all have stupid mullets, what else is there to do except laugh at them.

As for the Euro hate, he's a ****** for it. There are more of them than there are American and Canadian hockey players, and I think on average that Euros are more talented and better highlight-reel material, which sells the game better. Although a name that Americans and Canadians can pronounce always helps.

Definitely wrong. Just ask Pierre McGuire. It was only after staggering to their feet in between skull-crushing blows delivered by the Predators that the Wings managed to even shoot the puck let alone score.