• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Brett Hull

Don Cherry on Wings/Preds

Rate this topic

Guest nutz2u

Cherry is phucking moron. If he was American he would be the grand dragon of the KKK.

uh, i really really doubt cherry actually hates europeans. especially seeing as how he's married to one (his wife, luba is from the ukraine). it's part of his schtick, it's what people expect, and it gets people talking (which keeps people watching.) and he's not like...the second coming of evil like some people on here make him out to be. he donates very generously to lots of charities, and i'm pretty sure he even helped in the building of one. he has his opinions, and i don't agree w/all of them. i doubt anyone does. that's kinda the point. plus he's a snappy dresser and the seventh greatest canadian. he can't be all bad!

and w/the exception of kronwall's monster hits, i think he's right. it was a very non-physical series. so what's the big deal?

Edited by hallelujahlogic

I like hitting as much as anyone but as Ducks found out, it didn't win the series. The Wings focused on skill and matched the hitting aspect of the game on an as needed basis. That's a better recipe for success and curtails injuries.

Which I believe is called racism, yet some try to disagree.
<_<

I'll bite. I totally disagree.

According to my dictionary...

Racist: Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Xenophobic: Fear and contempt of strangers or foreign peoples.

Europeans & Canadians are generally the same race, especially when it comes to hockey players from across the pond. For Cherry to be racist, he would have to be discriminatory or prejudiced toward his own race. Cherry never talks about hockey in terms of race. If you listen to him, he is talking about a style of playing hockey, not about race, not about fear and contempt of people who live in other countries.

Comments like yours are nothing but ignorant and/or inflammatory, just like those of a true racist. Please keep the race card in your pocket and stick to talking about hockey.

Edited by ElCapitan

I compiled the following list based on box scores. Some of the data is not necessarily reliable as the stats for number of hits tends to vary, building to building, but for what its worth, here are the total hits recorded per game in each series (total for both teams combined):

NYR/NJ - 68

PIT/OTT - 65

BOS/MON - 64

ANA/DAL - 64

WAS/PHI - 60

CAL/SJ - 57

DET/NSH - 46

MIN/COL - 37

So, Cherry isn't a complete idiot, the Detroit series had low hit totals compared to the rest of the playoffs, but the real no hitting series was between MIN and COL, which I am somewhat surprised about, wasn't there some real nasty stuff between these two teams near the end of the season?

uh, i really really doubt cherry actually hates europeans. especially seeing as how he's married to one (his wife, luba is from the ukraine). it's part of his schtick, it's what people expect, and it gets people talking (which keeps people watching.) and he's not like...the second coming of evil like some people on here make him out to be. he donates very generously to lots of charities, and i'm pretty sure he even helped in the building of one. he has his opinions, and i don't agree w/all of them. i doubt anyone does. that's kinda the point. plus he's a snappy dresser and the seventh greatest canadian. he can't be all bad!

and w/the exception of kronwall's monster hits, i think he's right. it was a very non-physical series. so what's the big deal?

Exactly. More interesting was his prediction/guarantee of the first overall NHL draftee in 2011. Can't remember the fellows name right now, but he's playing for Canada (go figure!) at the under-18s. I'm sure many of you caught this if you heard his comments on the series.

I compiled the following list based on box scores. Some of the data is not necessarily reliable as the stats for number of hits tends to vary, building to building, but for what its worth, here are the total hits recorded per game in each series (total for both teams combined):

NYR/NJ - 68

PIT/OTT - 65

BOS/MON - 64

ANA/DAL - 64

WAS/PHI - 60

CAL/SJ - 57

DET/NSH - 46

MIN/COL - 37

So, Cherry isn't a complete idiot, the Detroit series had low hit totals compared to the rest of the playoffs, but the real no hitting series was between MIN and COL, which I am somewhat surprised about, wasn't there some real nasty stuff between these two teams near the end of the season?

Keep in mind, some of those Detroit hits were of the tremendous variety!

Exactly. More interesting was his prediction/guarantee of the first overall NHL draftee in 2011. Can't remember the fellows name right now, but he's playing for Canada (go figure!) at the under-18s. I'm sure many of you caught this if you heard his comments on the series.

I think it was Taylor Hall. He's a good ol Kingston (Ontario) boy !!!

Of course we thought it was physical. We're Red Wing fans! We've been used to non-hitting, no fighting games since the lockout. But in comparison to the rest of the series, outside of the Minnesota/Colorado series, as pointed out, it was a hug fest.

Still, I don't mind, we're moving on to the 2nd round and that's more important to me then being able to say "Hi, my name is Marty Brodeur, and I was involved in the most physical series. What's that? No, I am not going to playing in the 2nd round."

that's the one. now, the question is, how racist is Cherry for thinking an Ontario player is better than the rest :rolleyes:

Not sure how Ontario's race is different from other parts of the country or world.

To be honest, I don't fault Don too much for being proud of where he comes from. I guess as a public figure, you should appear to have no bias, but who cares?

I have to tell you, when someone comes along from my home town, I am biased towards that player, I'm proud of where I come from. I don't see the problem with that (as long as you admit your bias)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

NYR/NJ - 68

PIT/OTT - 65

BOS/MON - 64

ANA/DAL - 64

WAS/PHI - 60

CAL/SJ - 57

DET/NSH - 46

MIN/COL - 37

Great post Toby!

I was hoping somebody would enlighten the crowd here. What we have here is yet another example of people on LGW being unable to deal with anybody having anything remotely negative to say.

Did any of those dubbing Cherry an "idiot" spend much time watching many of the other series? Did any of those bad mouthing Cherry stop and use their brains for one second and think about his comments in relation to the rest of the series being played around the NHL?

Well, I watched many a game from many a series and quite frankly, it does not take a genius to see that we had one of the more unspectacular series as far as hitting goes. WOW! Big shocker seeing as the Wings don't do alot of hitting, Drake and Kronner are the biggest "highlight" hitters, Matlby was not in the lineup, Arnott, Legwand and Nichol missed games for Nashville, etc...

We did not play a super physical series by any stretch of the imagination nor in comparison to just about all the other series.

So what Cherry is saying is pretty much nothing but the obvious truth.

The stuff about him being a bigot or racist or not like Euros, all of that may be true but it really isn't the issue here.

The issue here is once again Wings slappies can't handle even the slightest bit of criticism and must immediately lash out and the source of that criticism.

This wouldn't happen if people used their brains more than their hearts when it came to stuff like this.

Great post Toby!

I was hoping somebody would enlighten the crowd here. What we have here is yet another example of people on LGW being unable to deal with anybody having anything remotely negative to say.

Did any of those dubbing Cherry an "idiot" spend much time watching many of the other series? Did any of those bad mouthing Cherry stop and use their brains for one second and think about his comments in relation to the rest of the series being played around the NHL?

Well, I watched many a game from many a series and quite frankly, it does not take a genius to see that we had one of the more unspectacular series as far as hitting goes. WOW! Big shocker seeing as the Wings don't do alot of hitting, Drake and Kronner are the biggest "highlight" hitters, Matlby was not in the lineup, Arnott, Legwand and Nichol missed games for Nashville, etc...

We did not play a super physical series by any stretch of the imagination nor in comparison to just about all the other series.

So what Cherry is saying is pretty much nothing but the obvious truth.

The stuff about him being a bigot or racist or not like Euros, all of that may be true but it really isn't the issue here.

The issue here is once again Wings slappies can't handle even the slightest bit of criticism and must immediately lash out and the source of that criticism.

This wouldn't happen if people used their brains more than their hearts when it came to stuff like this.

Aside from Sarich's hit, who had better hits in the playoffs than Kronwall? AND as manY? We all know how those ridiculous stats are kept, giveaways and takeaways and hits, it ain't like they're even remotely accurate. I watched a lot of the other series' and while they may have had a little more hitting overall (according to those wonderful stats), they were not as scarce as Don Cherry or the rest of the 'Wings-are-soft' media would have you believe. Homerism's got nothing to do with it.

esteef

Don Cherry is senile and/or missed all the monster hits by Kronwall, among others. The Wings were just fine in Round 1.

I was so impressed by Kronner! :thumbup:

I was also very impressed with Dallas Drake and Darren McCarty in the series as well, as long as you get the job done, thats all that matters.

Aside from Sarich's hit, who had better hits in the playoffs than Kronwall? AND as manY? We all know how those ridiculous stats are kept, giveaways and takeaways and hits, it ain't like they're even remotely accurate. I watched a lot of the other series' and while they may have had a little more hitting overall (according to those wonderful stats), they were not as scarce as Don Cherry or the rest of the 'Wings-are-soft' media would have you believe. Homerism's got nothing to do with it.

esteef

In terms of "better" hits, I won't comment, way too subjective, however, I will comment on the number of hits, since you asked. Begin has 37 hits so far (Lucic has 35, Phaneuf has 33). This compares to Kronwall's 13. At 13 hits so far in the playoffs, it leaves 59 players that have had more than him.

In terms of "better" hits, I won't comment, way too subjective, however, I will comment on the number of hits, since you asked. Begin has 37 hits so far (Lucic has 35, Phaneuf has 33). This compares to Kronwall's 13. At 13 hits so far in the playoffs, it leaves 59 players that have had more than him.

Those stats are subjective. I bet if Tootoo would've taken a Wings head off during the series, Cherry's assesment would be different.

Which I believe is called racism, yet some try to disagree.

Actually its xenophobia as opposed to racism. Cherry doesn't seem to care what race the Canadian is as long as they are Canadian. His bias is against foreigners regardless of their race (at least as far as I know). :P

Edited by Frozen-Man

I enjoy listening to Don Cherry about as much as I do Barry Melrose, which is not at all. Cherry hates European players, so essentially the Red Wings as a whole. The Red Wings are still playing and until they are the last team standing, I don't expect any praise or credit directed at the team from the media.

Nationalist perhaps, but racist? Come on.

I like hitting as much as anyone but as Ducks found out, it didn't win the series. The Wings focused on skill and matched the hitting aspect of the game on an as needed basis. That's a better recipe for success and curtails injuries.

<_<

I'll bite. I totally disagree.

According to my dictionary...

Racist: Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Xenophobic: Fear and contempt of strangers or foreign peoples.

Europeans & Canadians are generally the same race, especially when it comes to hockey players from across the pond. For Cherry to be racist, he would have to be discriminatory or prejudiced toward his own race. Cherry never talks about hockey in terms of race. If you listen to him, he is talking about a style of playing hockey, not about race, not about fear and contempt of people who live in other countries.

Comments like yours are nothing but ignorant and/or inflammatory, just like those of a true racist. Please keep the race card in your pocket and stick to talking about hockey.

Actually its xenophobia as opposed to racism. Cherry doesn't seem to care what race the Canadian is as long as they are Canadian. His bias is against foreigners regardless of their race (at least as far as I know). :P

I can't believe so many of you are defending this *******. I guess in Canada racism isn't looked at the same way as America, because in the U.S. this jackass would have been fired twice faster than Don Imus or Rush Limbaugh. To me what he's doing is disguised racism, and not nationalism, whatever the hell that means. Every racist has a good excuse for it, and you guys need to grow up instead of defending this idiot. I like physical hockey too, but that doesn't mean I hate European players, and call all Europeans sissies who are soft. He's just clueless, but he's considered some sort of Canadian hero, so he can get away with it.

Cherry is great!!!!!

There were alot of opportunities to hit and they weren't all taken, that is what Cherry is saying.

No he is not senile.

Right. Hes not senile. Then please explain how somebody can believe that Ryan Malone was the MVP for the Pens while Sidney Crosby was out, despite Malkin being 80 times the player Malone is on both ends of the ice.

:rolleyes:

The sad thing is, Grapes is a sideshow. And everyone knows it but him.

If course his wife is European. He probably beats her all day (and Im not joking about this. It happens a lot more than people talk about) and thats probably where he gets all his "All Euros are soft" comments.

Grapes has both praise and criticism for players of all nationalities. He says great things about European players like Saku Koivu, Chara and Alfredsson. He also trashes Canadians like Sean Avery and Matt Cooke. He's an unabashed supporter of Canadian hockey. So? He's Canadian. I don't see any problems here. Everyone cheers for their national team. Grapes likes a certain style of hockey, the kind that's played in North America, mostly by Canadians. I can't fault him for that. I'm of 100% European lineage, but I prefer North American hockey, too.

I can't believe so many of you are defending this *******. I guess in Canada racism isn't looked at the same way as America, because in the U.S. this jackass would have been fired twice faster than Don Imus or Rush Limbaugh. To me what he's doing is disguised racism, and not nationalism, whatever the hell that means. Every racist has a good excuse for it, and you guys need to grow up instead of defending this idiot. I like physical hockey too, but that doesn't mean I hate European players, and call all Europeans sissies who are soft. He's just clueless, but he's considered some sort of Canadian hero, so he can get away with it.

I am from America and didn't defend or condone what Cherry said all I said is that it is inaccurate to call him a racist based upon the statement from this thread. If you can show me where he has said anything about not liking players because of their race then I will agree but the statement from THIS thread has nothing to do with race. In general, a great portion of Canada's population is of European descent which makes them the same race. Cherry (again at least as far as I know) has never disparaged any player or team because of their race but because of nationality. If you want to claim that Cherry is bigoted because he only likes Canadian players or the North American style of play that is fine but that doesn't necessarily make him a racist and to claim that somehow the definition of racist includes this behavior is just plain wrong. Xenophobia deals with nationality not race and that is what you are ultimately claiming. It is not a question of "growing up" or "defending this idiot" it is merely that the term racist does not include bais because of nationality. I am pretty sure that Cherry and Lidstrom are of the same race and that Cherry has no problem with Lidstroms race. He may not like that he is a from Sweeden or that Lidstrom does not play a physical Canadian style of hockey lilke Phaneuf but rather a European style of puck possession but that has NOTHING to do with race whatsoever which as the word implies is a requirement of racist.

Your term is wrong and just because it is unappealing to you doesn't change the definition of what the word means. Finally, if you will remember Don Imus' statements were about the members of the basketball teams race not the fact that they were American thus they were race related comments not nationality related comments.