• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ussr

Why is Samuelsson playing?

Rate this topic

He doesn't bring anything to the team IMO. He has a hard shot but that doesn't mean he deserves to be on the 2nd line or even the 2nd PP unit, he has no defensive game. What do you think?

I think basically what you said. The way I see it is he's a skilled player who at times can fit in, and he puts up decent point totals, but his skill level is waaay below the rest of the team (skilled guys, anyways). A good example of this is when we had a PP and we spent about 1:30 in their end creating chances, Rafalski got a chance to sub off for Samuelsson and 2 seconds later Zetterberg sends a pass to the point and Samuelsson can't control it, almost resulting in a breakaway. He usually half-heartedly finish his hits, but finishes them none the less, but I haven't noticed that since the playoffs started. More often than not when he ends up with the puck we lose possession either to a giveaway, getting knocked off the puck, or a low quality shot on net.

I hope he thanks god every night for giving him a right handed shot because that is the only reason he is still on the team and, sadly enough, the PP.

Him and Chelios (Lilja at times), are the weakest links in the line up in my opinion. Chelios' hockey sense is great at times but his weaknesses have been showing much more than his strengths recently, he is easily beat wide and too slow and weak to play his style of game effectively like he did in his prime. Other than that I am 110% satisfied with out line up.

He brings rock solid point coverage on the powerplay that only dominates and controls the puck when his ass is on the bench!

idk he blew at least 6 keep-ins and gave the puck away 3 other times tonight.

My question is Lilja... our teams depth SUCKS ASS if we have nobody to step up in his place... Where is that thread about Downey taking DUMB penalties... Lilja is best known for that... moronic penalties he gets! But i am pretty sure we will just give him another raise and another year contract to keep him on the team... god, he was brutal tonight!

Edited by OsGOD

I thought he was pretty good tonight, he's gonna do what he's gonna do, but he's a very good shut down forward, which in the playoffs you can never have enough of. He's not gonna get benched, so why complain about his play? I guess Hudler should be benched since he was a -2 tonight.

Seriously. Give up on the Sammy should be benched bandwagon, he's not going anywhere.

I'm not jumping on any bandwagons, all I'm saying is that they could scratch Samuelsson for atleast one game. Cleary could play on the 2nd line and Abdelkader could take his spot on the 3rd with Draper & Hudler, see how things go. As far as defense goes I do believe Quincey filled in nicely during the playoffs last year, but if we want another shot from the blueline then they could always play Ericsson. This is just my opinion so it'd be nice if people didn't bite my head off for making a suggestion just like everyone else is entitled to do on these forums.

I don't like Sammy that much, but I can deal with him if he isn't on the second line, he just isn't a second line man. He is decent defensively, but his passing is just terrible. However, we probably won't find some one a whole lot better good for his price though I think. Plus he's another Swede, so may he brings some chemistry with some of the others. If Babs would just take him off the point permanently I'd be ok with it, hell give it to Cheli, he can shoot, and it's not like they do a whole lot of skating on the PP. Realistically why can't we just have Fil-Huds-Cleary-and Franzen all be on the second PP.

HAHAHAHAHA

This is what I love about this place, I only post here during the day (At work) so when I come in this morning I get to see another Sammy thread!!!

I have been all for benching him this post season because he has looked sloppy.

I read an article where Babs says he Franzen and Cleary were the best line on the ice, and then I read you guys posting still about how he sucks.

He played well last night, lets just hope he can string a couple together, if he can play decent, not stellar, decent this team becomes a lot more dangerous.

Granted a half a sleep Theodore helped, but that line was damn good last night!

Remove the arguement for "low salary" & "right handed shot" and there is nothing left. He sucks, takes up space and is generally useless - entire playoffs has had about 3-4 good periods - not good enough. When he was out with injury we played great and didn't even notice his absence - we played better. Bad passing, can't hit an open net, lobbing softballs to the opposing goalie, his checking looks like he is fondling the other player - he sucks - screw his salary - we have enough young guys to step up and fill the role, bye bye sally the swede

Remove the arguement for "low salary" & "right handed shot" and there is nothing left. He sucks, takes up space and is generally useless - entire playoffs has had about 3-4 good periods - not good enough. When he was out with injury we played great and didn't even notice his absence - we played better. Bad passing, can't hit an open net, lobbing softballs to the opposing goalie, his checking looks like he is fondling the other player - he sucks - screw his salary - we have enough young guys to step up and fill the role, bye bye sally the swede

:unsure: ... big body ... :unsure:

Nothing personal TimeBinder but I am going to have to go with this man's opinion, as he has slighty more experience and I would have to assume more knowledge than you!

Franzen had two goals in a playoff game for the first time, earning praise along with linemates Valtteri Filppula and Mikael Samuelsson.

“That was our best line,” Babcock said. “He was really good with Filppula and Samuelsson. We said in the last series, if we could get that line going, we would be really good.”

Now you may not have seen in other threads I have actually said that next year Sammy should be traded away for whatever late round pick they can get, and that up until last night he should have been benched. But come one dude, they guy was decent/ok/alright last night. Which if Flip and Sammy can manage to play well and Mule keeps this streak up that line will be dangerous.

*Cough* I would still rather see some one else on the pp, and I think there are better options on the second line, but Babs is right this line could get going, this team will be golden. *cough*

I will say I think putting Cleary on the 2nd line is a mistake though, you give up your best defensive line, IMO that is more important than having Sammy off of the 2nd line.

AGAIN THIS IS MY OPINION!!!

You keep Samuelsson on the team because of the salary cap. You don't pay him a ton and he contributes some offense and really is not a liability. He also has the ability to score in bunches. When I've watched Samuelsson in person, his ability stands out more than when you see him on TV.

Additionally, he is fairly good with handling the puck and one particular strength is his ability to get into the zone with a puck possession, which is better than a dump in and chase.

That said, I think he wastes some of his talent and I wonder if he is a mental-case type of player. I suggest this because when he plays well, he will score 10 goals and 20 points over 20-25 games and then you won't hear from him for another 20-25 games. I wonder if he has drastic swings in his confidence in his game. I also wonder if he is used differently by Babcock in different types of games, which would affect his production. Again, I think he has a great wrist shot (which for long stretches never seems to be on net or is directed right at the goalie's chest) and I think he handles the puck well but he can't seem to put together any consistency.

But, as I said before, this is a salary cap world and a Mikael Samuelsson is far better than most teams can offer as a 6th or 7th forward, especially at the price.

Hudler has to take Sammy's spot on the 2nd line, and Sammy should be scratched for Maltby.

Samuelsson won't get scratched.

Babs is stoked with Samuelssons play, and its mainly because of how well Franzen is playing. In the post game 1 presser Babs noted how well that whole line has been playing, and even went as far as to say it was the best line last night.

Hudler has to take Sammy's spot on the 2nd line, and Sammy should be scratched for Maltby.

We have had this out before so I am not trying to start another flame war, but what does Maltby offer that the wings don't already have in Spades?

PK: Dats, Z, Drake, Mule, Draper, Cleary

Vet leadership: Cheli, Lids, Draper, Ralf, Drake, Mac,

Sammy at least has the potential to create some offense.

It may not have been a huge play in your mind but he put that puck on Flip's stick and then flip put it in Mule's wheel house.

Again I am not saying the guy played stellar, but I think to say that Maltby offers something that Sammy doesn't that the wings don't already have a ton of is not a true statement in my mind.

Note: you never said he did offer something Sammy didn't but.. by saying you would choose Malts over him would lead me to believe you think he can bring something Sammy can't. And I also realize that you are putting Huds in Sammy's role so you are not making a direct replacement, just saying I don't think Maltby is the guy!

If you had said Abdelkader or some one with an offensive upside I would have agreed with you.

BTW with what I have seen this year (Yeah I am getting ahead of myself) I think the 3rd line next year should be Cleary-Draper-Helm!!

EDIT:

After some thought I wouldn't be upset with

ZDH

Huds - Flip- Mule

Cleary- Draper- Drake

Maltby/Downey/Abdelkader*-Helm- Mac

* my preference

Although to tell you the truth I would rather see Downey on that line than Malts.

So I guess what I am saying is that I would rather see Downey in the line up than Sammy!!! WOW did I just type that!!!!!!

I actually think those lines would be very good, and at the same time the back end of the rotation looks like a tough couple of lines!!

Wait what did you just do to me GMR, I take you off of ignore and now you are brainwashing me!! CUT IT OUT!

Edited by Opie

We have had this out before so I am not trying to start another flame war, but what does Maltby offer that the wings don't already have in Spades?

PK: Dats, Z, Drake, Mule, Draper, Cleary

Vet leadership: Cheli, Lids, Draper, Ralf, Drake, Mac,

Sammy at least has the potential to create some offense.

It may not have been a huge play in your mind but he put that puck on Flip's stick and then flip put it in Mule's wheel house.

Again I am not saying the guy played stellar, but I think to say that Maltby offers something that Sammy doesn't that the wings don't already have a ton of is not a true statement in my mind.

Note: you never said he did offer something Sammy didn't but.. by saying you would choose Malts over him would lead me to believe you think he can bring something Sammy can't. And I also realize that you are putting Huds in Sammy's role so you are not making a direct replacement, just saying I don't think Maltby is the guy!

If you had said Abdelkader or some one with an offensive upside I would have agreed with you.

BTW with what I have seen this year (Yeah I am getting ahead of myself) I think the 3rd line next year should be Cleary-Draper-Helm!!

You asked this in another thread, and I already answered.

Basically, Malts is a gritty player who battles for pucks and is good defensively. I don't think a team can have too much of players like him in a playoff series.

Also, I'll admit that I'm partial to him because he's been a Wing since I was in middle school. That does have weight in my mind for why I want him over Sammy. Also, Sammy has huge potential to pull a turnover that costs us a game, while Malts doesn't have as good a chance at that. It only has to happen once.

You asked this in another thread, and I already answered.

Basically, Malts is a gritty player who battles for pucks and is good defensively. I don't think a team can have too much of players like him in a playoff series.

Also, I'll admit that I'm partial to him because he's been a Wing since I was in middle school. That does have weight in my mind for why I want him over Sammy. Also, Sammy has huge potential to pull a turnover that costs us a game, while Malts doesn't have as good a chance at that. It only has to happen once.

Yeah I saw your answer after I finished typing this post! Sorry for the Duplicate, but check out my edit!!

When was the last time Sammy's turnover led to a goal?

When was the last time he scored a goal?

When was the last time Maltby scored a goal?

Again not arguing or flaming just saying that while yes turnovers are a valid concern but seriously when was the last time it happened and a goal was scored. Maybe his teammates are good at saving his ass, maybe he is lucky, maybe my s*** is purple and smells like rainbow sherbert (anyone?)! But the fact is he was a +21 where as for the second year in a row, Maltby has been one of the teams worst +/- guys on the team.

Edited by Opie

Yeah I saw your answer after I finished typing this post! Sorry for the Duplicate, but check out my edit!!

Here's a shocker for you. I actually wouldn't play Downey!

I figured we'd run into Calgary or Anaheim, but this Colorado team, unless they dress Scott Parker, isn't that intimidating physically.

I don't know where Downey would fit in, since everyone is playing well. Flip is actually struggling a bit, but scratching him for Downey would probably be going too far. Helm is playing well, and as I've already said, Malts should be in the lineup. That would leave Sammy and Downey out.

If you're still confused, basically, I want Hudler on the 2nd line, and Malts to replace Sammy. Everything else shouldn't be changed while we're winning.

When was the last time Sammy's turnover led to a goal?

When was the last time he scored a goal?

When was the last time Maltby scored a goal?

Again not arguing or flaming just saying that while yes turnovers are a valid concern but seriously when was the last time it happened and a goal was scored. Maybe his teammates are good at saving his ass, maybe he is lucky, maybe my s*** is purple and smells like rainbow sherbert (anyone?)! But the fact is he was a +21 where as for the second year in a row, Maltby has been one of the teams worst +/- guys on the team.

Sammy hasn't been scoring any goals either. Also, he turns the puck over constantly, and one of these times no one will bail him out. As I said, it only has to happen once to cost us a game. Besides, turnovers in the offensive zone are also costly, because they take away future scoring chances for that shift.

His problem seems to be that he thinks he's a better puckhandler than what he really is. Imagine if Downey went out there and tried to stickhandle around the defense. Chances are he'd look the same way Sammy looks.

He doesn't bring anything to the team IMO. He has a hard shot but that doesn't mean he deserves to be on the 2nd line or even the 2nd PP unit, he has no defensive game. What do you think?

I've never been a huge fan of Sammy's but my disdain for him continues to grow.

Last night, both he and Filpulla were horrible. I'm still not sure why they're dressed let alone on our 2nd line.

I sure hope that Sammy's dealt next summer and I won't shed one tear if Filp is traded for a big, physical winger. He looked incredibly weak on the puck.

HAHAHAHAHA

This is what I love about this place, I only post here during the day (At work) so when I come in this morning I get to see another Sammy thread!!!

I have been all for benching him this post season because he has looked sloppy.

I read an article where Babs says he Franzen and Cleary were the best line on the ice, and then I read you guys posting still about how he sucks.

He played well last night, lets just hope he can string a couple together, if he can play decent, not stellar, decent this team becomes a lot more dangerous.

Granted a half a sleep Theodore helped, but that line was damn good last night!

actually it was Fil with Sammy and the Mule.

And I do recall that in November you were all over me for saying he doesn't fit in. Now you are claiming that he has been poor all year long? I feel he is useful and he is a good locker room guy, it seems every body on the team loves him. I think Babs loves him a little too much to put him on the 2nd PP, when Stuart comes back that hopefully will be the end of Sammy on the 2nd PP.

on a side not, Kronner has been unreal; what a future he has and Lilja should be in the minors.