• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ussr

Why is Samuelsson playing?

Rate this topic

No, chances are Downey would look like a clown trying to stickhandle, then fall over.

Sammy can actually stickhandle!!

The problem is when he is stickhandling with pressure on him he becomes extremely indecisive. he doesn't know what to do with it when he has nowhere to go. i think he is trying not to make a mistake, and it really isn't working.

Plus downey knows he can't stickhandle, i think Sammy hasn't grasped the point that he really isn't that good.

Ya know, it's a shame that the Red Wings every year can't have 12 forwards who score 50 goals. A lot of your expectations on here for a 2nd-3rd line winger are way too high, especially under the salary cap. Take a look at the other teams in the league, and see how many of them have a player like Sammy who is interchangeable through the lineup, and who can contribute on a semi-regular basis.

He had 41 points this season, which all said and done is pretty damn good for a player who only gets 15-16 minutes of ice time every night. I've coached players like Sammy who are good shut down and role guys, and they are vitally important to the chemistry of a team's lines.

If you can think of a suggestion to replace Sammy who is a shut down forward, can stickhandle, can hit, gets to the puck to the net and who stays out of the box, then let me know. It won't be Hudler and it won't be Maltby. For $1.2 million, he's a pretty damn good deal once you get past all the usual "he shoots too much" crap.

Some of you need to learn how to evaluate talent.

Why is Samuelsson playing? Just to piss you guys off. That's it...nothing more. He's obviously the most worthless hockey player on the face of the earth. He's single-handedly trying to thwart the chances for the Wings this post season, and continues to make as many mistakes as possible just to infuriate posters on LGW.

[/sarcasm]

actually it was Fil with Sammy and the Mule.

And I do recall that in November you were all over me for saying he doesn't fit in. Now you are claiming that he has been poor all year long? I feel he is useful and he is a good locker room guy, it seems every body on the team loves him. I think Babs loves him a little too much to put him on the 2nd PP, when Stuart comes back that hopefully will be the end of Sammy on the 2nd PP.

on a side not, Kronner has been unreal; what a future he has and Lilja should be in the minors.

Umm sort of a bit of confusion, both on my part and your part, I was thinking the Sammy/Cleary swap on the 2nd line and type Cleary and Sammy on the same line. OOOOOPS maybe I should proof read my posts.

I never said he was poor all year long? If I did please quote me, I must have been drunk or high or sleeping.

OR

I mistyped something again!!! (joke)

But I said all Playoffs long he has been bad, if my post in this thread made it seem that he was bad all year I am sorry, I was referencing the fact (and I have posted in multiple threads) that he has been really bad this post season, so if I left that part out of the post I was inferring it because I have been on the bench Sammy wagon so far this playoffs, I just think that last night showed signs of his play turning around, back to what it was in the season, which is to say he was decent/ok/alright/sufficient in the regular season.

I stand by what I said about his season play. BECAUSE Mule was not what he is right now, yes he turned it on at the end of the season, but the wings had no way to know how hot he would get and in Sammy they knew what they had, a proven commodity if you will.

On your side note:

I think that is why his contract has not been extended, I think the wings realize that Lilja is not going to be in the winged wheel very long with what the org has for D coming up.

I also think he is of the opinion he deserves to get paid, but the wings are looking at the future and not seeing much of a role for him and are not looking to give him a lot of dough!

right on, i misread your 'playoffs' playing poorly and thought you meant during the season.

Hey no problem man, I mistype s*** all of the time, I try to stand by what I say and say what I mean but sometimes in the haste I leave out a vitally important word or two!!!!

BTW:

We have disagreed a lot lately, but I must say thanks for not being a complete ******* about disagreeing.

And if I am wrong like I was with the line thing, let me know man!!!

It was so funny last night when he had that shot wide of the net on taydore in the first....

People were like sammy missed you can't miss the net on those!! I yelled out, "INCONCEIVABLE!!" sammy never misses the Chest! he is way off his game!

I really don't have a problem with Sammy out there even strength.. in fact he is hardly noticeable...whether that is good or bad is up in the air....

i do have a problem with him on the point for the powerplay. When we need constant pressure you can rest assured he will flubb it... in fact he flubbed it 5 times on the PP last night... failing to keeping it in at the point and/or getting it stripped. It was amazing... if I wasn't watching it live i would say it was some s***ty camera pranks that were being pulled on me!

Edited by OsGOD

Ya know, it's a shame that the Red Wings every year can't have 12 forwards who score 50 goals. A lot of your expectations on here for a 2nd-3rd line winger are way too high, especially under the salary cap. Take a look at the other teams in the league, and see how many of them have a player like Sammy who is interchangeable through the lineup, and who can contribute on a semi-regular basis.

He had 41 points this season, which all said and done is pretty damn good for a player who only gets 15-16 minutes of ice time every night. I've coached players like Sammy who are good shut down and role guys, and they are vitally important to the chemistry of a team's lines.

If you can think of a suggestion to replace Sammy who is a shut down forward, can stickhandle, can hit, gets to the puck to the net and who stays out of the box, then let me know. It won't be Hudler and it won't be Maltby. For $1.2 million, he's a pretty damn good deal once you get past all the usual "he shoots too much" crap.

Some of you need to learn how to evaluate talent.

We all know that you can't have twelve 50 goal scorers. But I have to wonder what a 10 goal scorer is doing on our 2nd line and 2nd PP unit.

Maltby, Drake and Draper would do no worse with his kind of quality minutes.

Sammy is a great, maybe even a perfect 4th line player. We're just questioning why he's being treated as a top 6 forward.

i do have a problem with him on the point for the powerplay. When we need constant pressure you can rest assured he will flubb it... in fact he flubbed it 5 times on the PP last night... failing to keeping it in at the point and/or getting it stripped. It was amazing... if I wasn't watching it live i would say it was some s***ty camera pranks that were being pulled on me!

Tell me about it. How many times did he try to go D-to-D only for him to pass the puck out of the zone?

Edited by Hank

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
We all know that you can't have twelve 50 goal scorers. But I have to wonder what a 10 goal scorer is doing on our 2nd line and 2nd PP unit.

Maltby, Drake and Draper would do no worse with his kind of quality minutes.

Sammy is a great, maybe even a perfect 4th line player We're just questioning why he's being treated as a top 6 forward.

Tell me about it. How many times did he try to go D-to-D only for him to pass the puck out of the zone?

1)Draper yes but Maltby and drake dont have a fraction of Sammy's talent.

2) Sammy is more than a capable 3rd line player

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I don't really mind Sammy. It'd be nice if stick handled less and deferred to his linemates more. His pass to Franzen last night was a beauty and he's capable of more than that.

I think this is hilarious, though: He had 11 goals on 249 shots this year. His shooting percentage was 4.4%(!!!!!!)

That, my friends, is terrible. Bates Battaglia is jealous of that sort of ineptitude.

1)Draper yes but Maltby and drake dont have a fraction of Sammy's talent.

2) Sammy is more than a capble 2nd line player.

Well I guess that's where we'll have to part ways.

He's been playing with two of the best centres in the league for 3 seasons now and outside of his first year, he's looked anything but a 2nd line player.

Sammy scored 11 goals and 29 assists in 73 games while averaging 16:15 of ice time a game.

That includes 2:43 on the PP per game average.

Jiri Hudler played 81 games, scored 13 goals and 42 points while averaging 3 less minutes.

Tomas Kopecky scored 5g, 7a in 77 games, but played nearly half the minutes, and under 30 seconds of PP time per game. And that's on a line with checkers.

Kirk Maltby scored 6g and 10 points in 61 games while averaging 4 less minute a game than Sammy. And again, with far inferior linemates to what Sammy had.

The stats don't lie. Other than Homer and Franzen, Sammy gets the best minutes of any winger on this team. And yet he still can't produce.

There's a reason why he was on the 3rd and 4th lines on Florida - a Florida team that couldn't hold this teams jock strap.

It's obvious Babcock loves Sammy and that's the reason for his ice time.

I don't see how Chelios could do any worse than him on the PP and certainly Hudler could do better than him on the 2nd line. Probably Maltby and Draper too.

Sammy works hard. I'm never going to deny that. But he has extremely limited offensive skills and awareness. He's constantly making bad choices in the offensive zone and if he doesn't hit the goalie square in the chest he's firing it into the webbing. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him waste a shot and force a stoppage rather than simply hitting the goalies leg pads looking for a rebound.

He's a very good checking forward but he shouldn't be anywhere near other offensive players. He's terrible in that role.

11 goals playing 2 minutes less than what Crosby averaged, while lining up with Zetts or Dats most of the year is atrocious.

McCarty scored 19 in less games while playing with Shanny and Larionov. If McCarty can do that, then certainly a 'true' second liner should be able to eclipse it.

Edited by Hank

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Well I guess that's where we'll have to part ways.

He's been playing with two of the best centres in the league for 3 seasons now and outside of his first year, he's looked anything but a 2nd line player.

Sammy scored 11 goals and 29 assists in 73 games while averaging 16:15 of ice time a game.

That includes 2:43 on the PP per game average.

Jiri Hudler played 81 games, scored 13 goals and 42 points while averaging 3 less minutes.

Tomas Kopecky scored 5g, 7a in 77 games, but played nearly half the minutes, and under 30 seconds of PP time per game. And that's on a line with checkers.

Kirk Maltby scored 6g and 10 points in 61 games while averaging 4 less minute a game than Sammy. And again, with far inferior linemates to what Sammy had.

The stats don't lie. Other than Homer and Franzen, Sammy gets the best minutes of any winger on this team. And yet he still can't produce.

There's a reason why he was on the 3rd and 4th lines on Florida - a Florida team that couldn't hold this teams jock strap.

It's obvious Babcock loves Sammy and that's the reason for his ice time.

I don't see how Chelios could do any worse than him on the PP and certainly Hudler could do better than him on the 2nd line. Probably Maltby and Draper too.

Sammy works hard. I'm never going to deny that. But he has extremely limited offensive skills and awareness. He's constantly making bad choices in the offensive zone and if he doesn't hit the goalie square in the chest he's firing it into the webbing. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him waste a shot and force a stoppage rather than simply hitting the goalies leg pads looking for a rebound.

He's a very good checking forward but he shouldn't be anywhere near other offensive players. He's terrible in that role.

11 goals playing 2 minutes less than what Crosby averaged, while lining up with Zetts or Dats most of the year is atrocious.

McCarty scored 19 in less games while playing with Shanny and Larionov. If McCarty can do that, then certainly a 'true' second liner should be able to eclipse it.

My bad, i meant 3rd line player when i was writing that. Sammy is by no means a top 6 forward in my book dont worry. Also I agree with you that Hudler is FAR more talented than sammy, but not Maltby

honestly i don't know. At first i didn't get it, at first i was like, he's cheap has a good shot why not. But then i figured out by watching him play, that it's a little like the logic of driving a dotson because it's cheap and gets good gas milage. You're still driving a dotson, when you could be driving something else that actually does that much better at about the same price. I don't care if he only makes a dollar a game, there are so many better options back on that PP (Meech, Ericsson instead of lilja for starters)

honestly i don't know. At first i didn't get it, at first i was like, he's cheap has a good shot why not. But then i figured out by watching him play, that it's a little like the logic of driving a dotson because it's cheap and gets good gas milage. You're still driving a dotson, when you could be driving something else that actually does that much better at about the same price. I don't care if he only makes a dollar a game, there are so many better options back on that PP (Meech, Ericsson instead of lilja for starters)

After all that, all I can say is what the hell is a dotson??

Why is Samuelsson playing? Just to piss you guys off. That's it...nothing more. He's obviously the most worthless hockey player on the face of the earth. He's single-handedly trying to thwart the chances for the Wings this post season, and continues to make as many mistakes as possible just to infuriate posters on LGW.

[/sarcasm]

I could 2nd this, and what's scary is I might not be sarcastic about it, cause it could actually be true in a weird/twisted way. :P

Guest LivingtheDream

I'm just waiting for the guy to blow a game. He has had a few close calls with the most stupid behind the back passes and other ill advised tricks way above his pay grade and skill level. Oh, and how about a lame penalty at the end of the period (with Nashville) when he really needed to just suck it up and admit he is a punching bag out there.

If nothing else, he seems to be shooting less and perhaps shooting a little smarter, but what he should be doing is using his body and size.